Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Showroom cinema, Sheffield's only independent and it's a charity too so all profits from the bar and office rental go to subsidising one of the widest film ranges in the North of England.

If you can see past some of the art house crap, it's a great place to watch a film. Local real ales in a bar with a nice friendly vibe. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would schlep out to Centretainmment/Meadowhell to sit with a gang of kids eating buckets of popcorn and playing on their phones.

Other cinemas are available........

.....they are just a bit shitter.
Curzon is a decent cinema with only 3 small screens.

Cambridge_Street_Sportsman.jpg

Replaced by Zeugma as best kebab award, nearer on London Road too.

I had plenty of 3am pit stops at Chubby’s TB , chatting birds up with the.armed with the charm offensive 10 pints of lager a kebab , good looks & not forgetting modesty

Photo taken from the away end 1989, Blades 5 Brighton 4.
I went to that, What a cracker of a game it was.

Is it me or does the old JS stand look bigger or almost double the size of the current one?

Can't understand why they'd rebuild a smaller stand.

Curzon is a decent cinema with only 3 small screens.

They are part of a group and are London centred. They are also involved in film distribution and when they first opened in Sheffield, their distribution arm delayed releases to the Showroom, to allow their Sheffield cinema to show films first.

They've done a nice job with an old building but they are still very 'corporate'. As I said, the Showroom is a not for profit charity that is Sheffield based. Any profits are ploughed back in to improve the building and cross subsidise some of the lesser known films and run a local schools film education project.

It's a free country though.....

The 2 door coupe 1256cc weapon would have been the Firenza, this "cooking" example is indeed an HC Viva. Not from Bentleys either.
London plates?
I hope it's parked in gear. My Dad used to do a bit of basic car maintenance for family & friends - Viva brake "self-adjusters" were a bastard to set up right.

Used to walk up there on my way to Crosspool YC every Friday night in the mid/late 60s, ten Gold Leaf in me pocket, a lighter that leaked petrol into my jacket pocket, a ten bob note to spend in the snooker room at The Plough on lager shandy....all the time thinking I were a real man, and knowing absolutely fuck all really.

Great times though, with great mates, all Blades..

For the ones that don't see this anymore - that corner used to have a small police station/building/box that was put up for auction a few years back.

It was sold, subsequently knocked down and there is presently a 2 storey triangular building going up with a covered veranda that will look directly down the road looking at the Broomhill shops.

The first floor is mainly glass - obviously architect designed, but could be something rather different when completed.

The bus stop in the middle is still there. Vagrants used to sleep under it apparently until this development started a number of months ago.

For the ones that don't see this anymore - that corner used to have a small police station/building/box that was put up for auction a few years back.

It was sold, subsequently knocked down and there is presently a 2 storey triangular building going up with a covered veranda that will look directly down the road looking at the Broomhill shops.

The first floor is mainly glass - obviously architect designed, but could be something rather different when completed.

The bus stop in the middle is still there. Vagrants used to sleep under it apparently until this development started a number of months ago.

I’d love to know what it’s being built as, business or private home. It’s certainly very modern.

Back
Top Bottom