Failure to compete - FA punishment?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No - but In all seriousness

It’s not good for their product.

We’ll be putting out a side that would get pumped by our league 1 promotion side. Not good for viewing seeing a side pumped to nil on tv every week no one wants to see that. Sky etc down want to show that

Still it’ll be nice when they have to implement a FFP stipulation including a MINIMUM not max wage to turnover ratio / spend. Named the ‘Sheffield United rule ‘ after we embarrass ourselves and the league globally this year.

Can you get punished by the FA for making no attempt whatsoever to compete? Its a bit like throwing a match isn't it? But throwing a whole seasons worth of matches in our case.
No. West Germany v Austria WC 1982 set an unfortunate precedent. As soon as West Germany took a 1-0 lead, neither side risked competing in the game as they both knew that a 1-0 result would see both sides qualify at the expense of Algeria!

Disgrace of Gijon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

I hope everybody's settled down now we know what our squad for the season is going to be.

Can you get punished by the FA for making no attempt whatsoever to compete? Its a bit like throwing a match isn't it? But throwing a whole seasons worth of matches in our case.

I still think the FA need to make this a thing. -8 points in your following season if you make no attempt to compete after a promotion. Our owner's conduct should be punishable so as to deter other clubs (and ourselves) from acting as we have this season. Showed no intent whatsoever. A complete disgrace and deserves further punishment.

I still think the FA need to make this a thing. -8 points in your following season if you make no attempt to compete after a promotion. Our owner's conduct should be punishable so as to deter other clubs (and ourselves) from acting as we have this season. Showed no intent whatsoever. A complete disgrace and deserves further punishment.
Well, I did tell everyone, got slagged off of course by the "can't see anything wrong wallers". But I did tell everyone.
I've also got relegation in year two of the Championship already predicted as well. I'm starting to worry that I might be wrong about that though, because we could end up being relegated from the Championship in our first season.

Understand your sentiment, but there's 100 reasons this could never happen, you can't be serious.

I’m certainly not defending the prince or anyone else at the club because they’ve made a complete fuck up of this season. But how the fuck are we supposed to compete?

TV money of £200m or whatever it is, just isn’t going to cut it! The top clubs blow that on 2 or 3 players!

If the FA or Premier League want a competitive league, then figure out a way to level the playing field a bit.

I’m certainly not defending the prince or anyone else at the club because they’ve made a complete fuck up of this season. But how the fuck are we supposed to compete?

TV money of £200m or whatever it is, just isn’t going to cut it! The top clubs blow that on 2 or 3 players!

If the FA or Premier League want a competitive league, then figure out a way to level the playing field a bit.

In regards to that, some kind of promotion bonus would be a shout. Only to be spent though.. no banking it.

In regards to that, some kind of promotion bonus would be a shout. Only to be spent though.. no banking it.

What money has been banked whilst the prince has owned the club? I was under the impression he’d lost money on his ‘investment’? I could be wrong though

I feel cheated into buying a season ticket.
So I know what I’m doing next season.

What money has been banked whilst the prince has owned the club? I was under the impression he’d lost money on his ‘investment’? I could be wrong though

I'm just saying hypothetically if they brought a promotion bonus in, it must be on condition of being spent that season. Its a fair rule I think.

I'm just saying hypothetically if they brought a promotion bonus in, it must be on condition of being spent that season. Its a fair rule I think.

Unless it’s a ridiculous amount of money, then I don’t see how it would make a difference.

Say they gave us an extra £100m to spend, that could easily go on two players if it were to include the transfer fees and the wages for four year contracts. I doubt that’s going to really close the gap.

Unless it’s a ridiculous amount of money, then I don’t see how it would make a difference.

Say they gave us an extra £100m to spend, that could easily go on two players if it were to include the transfer fees and the wages for four year contracts. I doubt that’s going to really close the gap.

Only other way to close the gap is to make the Premier league bigger. 22 or 24 teams, thereby diluting the quality and financial power of the average team. Can't see that happening though.

Because of this Sky and the PL are announcing tomorrow all United’s games will be now shown on the Comedy Channel.

They should bring that rule in to stop us coming up again.

For us to seriously compete we'd have needed spending levels comparable to Forest. Keeping Berge and Illi would hardly have made a dent in this season. Maybe 19th rather 20th and the occasional flash of brilliance. The teams just above the relegation zone have players who cost £50m and a massive wage bill. Oh, and are looking at point deductions for breaking financial rules.

Teams like Palace whose fans also aren't happy have players like Eze and Olise, and Henderson on the bench, a player we'd love here but couldn't afford in wages alone. Teams last year got relegated with players like Ward-Prowse and Madison in them. We haven't got anything like that quality and can't afford it.

Do I wish we could compete, of course. It's really not enjoyable at present. I've seen some real poor teams but today was probably the first time I'd really questioned if it was worth going, I was expecting exactly what happened. It was so predictable. Everyone knew it. Do I wish we'd spent money on players and wages to compete for 17th knowing if we failed the club could be in really serious trouble with no owner to bail us out? 100% no.

Do I care one jot that we're supposedly spoiling the product for the Premier League and getting criticised for it in the media? I couldn't care less. They don't care about us, we're just there to make up the numbers for the big boys and would like us to cause the occasional upset to keep it interesting. So what if we do go bust in the process, someone else will take our place. To be honest they'd best get used to it. Any team like us, Burnley, Luton etc. who do get promoted will face the same problem. Spend and risk the club's future and a points deduction or stay within your means and face almost certain relegation and some big losses against teams you can't hope to compete with.

I feel cheated into buying a season ticket.
So I know what I’m doing next season.

It’s okay. Some of our experts are still predicting a great season with this “table topping” bunch.

For us to seriously compete we'd have needed spending levels comparable to Forest. Keeping Berge and Illi would hardly have made a dent in this season. Maybe 19th rather 20th and the occasional flash of brilliance. The teams just above the relegation zone have players who cost £50m and a massive wage bill. Oh, and are looking at point deductions for breaking financial rules.

Teams like Palace whose fans also aren't happy have players like Eze and Olise, and Henderson on the bench, a player we'd love here but couldn't afford in wages alone. Teams last year got relegated with players like Ward-Prowse and Madison in them. We haven't got anything like that quality and can't afford it.

Do I wish we could compete, of course. It's really not enjoyable at present. I've seen some real poor teams but today was probably the first time I'd really questioned if it was worth going, I was expecting exactly what happened. It was so predictable. Everyone knew it. Do I wish we'd spent money on players and wages to compete for 17th knowing if we failed the club could be in really serious trouble with no owner to bail us out? 100% no.

Do I care one jot that we're supposedly spoiling the product for the Premier League and getting criticised for it in the media? I couldn't care less. They don't care about us, we're just there to make up the numbers for the big boys and would like us to cause the occasional upset to keep it interesting. So what if we do go bust in the process, someone else will take our place. To be honest they'd best get used to it. Any team like us, Burnley, Luton etc. who do get promoted will face the same problem. Spend and risk the club's future and a points deduction or stay within your means and face almost certain relegation and some big losses against teams you can't hope to compete with.

Depends what you mean by compete. Surely we all expected a tough season but to watch our team unable to understand basic defending a number of players with seemingly no passion, commitment or indeed pride and successive managers who can’t instil that pride across the squad is far from what we hoped for.

We're going to end up with a Premier League version of the Scottish Premier League , with 3 or 4 top teams rather than just Celtic and Rangers.
It might take an upper mid-table team to go bankrupt before the powers that be realise that you can't just have teams buying success

Depends what you mean by compete. Surely we all expected a tough season but to watch our team unable to understand basic defending a number of players with seemingly no passion, commitment or indeed pride and successive managers who can’t instil that pride across the squad is far from what we hoped for.
Oh don't get me wrong, I00% agree with that. That's one thing as Blades we've always expected from our players. Some of our favourite teams were built around that, not maybe the greatest players, but heart and 100% commitment. Today, in fact for most of this season, that hasn't been anywhere near evident and it's not acceptable.

I actually think we've fallen into the gap between teams and players like that, including Wilder's team that got promoted, and now having players who are here for the Premier League and see us as a stepping stone to greater things (in their mind) but actually aren't good enough, so we're losing out to the better players and teams and with players who aren't able to make up for that by showing the commitment we as fans demand. They're almost certainly more concerned about how this season will affect their future and potential earnings than what it means to the club and the fans.

Back
Top Bottom