Old Guard (Fleck, Stevens & Didz)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After 4 and a half years of CW the players only know how to play one way, when was the last time we had a successful signing? our better players are now older and aged if we’d have got the money we should have had a clear out but I’m sure I’m telling everyone what we all knew, I’m afraid it’s going to be one of those seasons 9 years and counting and we’ll be back…
When was the last time we had a successful signing???? Excellent question. What’s the answer? Didzy???

We certainly didn't make a successful signing when we were in the PL…unless you count Ramsdale.

He’s quality mate so don’t know if your reply was tongue in cheek but my example sorts out the good from the top top quality
I was referring to his finishing, not his ability, which is obvious, but saying that I wouldn't start him and Billy together in this formation tbh and I said that before the game.

After 4 and a half years of CW the players only know how to play one way, when was the last time we had a successful signing? our better players are now older and aged if we’d have got the money we should have had a clear out but I’m sure I’m telling everyone what we all knew, I’m afraid it’s going to be one of those seasons 9 years and counting and we’ll be back…
That's an excellent question. What have we gained (player improvement wise) from our exploits in the prem? Where are our £70-80m players?

Pains me to see what once were fan favourites reduced to tired, mediocre journeymen that are a drain on our resources.

They were forgiven for looking out of their depth in the Premier League but to see them put in a 4/10 performance against the might of Millwall at home is beyond disappointing. It's sobering to think that they look well out of their depth in what has been the poorest standard of Championship football in many years.

A big clearout is needed.

Olsen & Hourihane need sending back.

Stevens, Fleck, Didz and perhaps even Bash (💔) need a fond farewell.

Berge, Brewster and McBurnie need writing down or off.

Verrips, Robinson, RND, Lowe, Slater, Freeman & Mousse need a career change. Quickly.

That's 16 players on professional contracts that for one reason or another we need to turnover. It's a frighteningly large job, I just hope Slav is the man for it.
It's frightening that OAP Sharp is first name on team sheet

If we missed Norwood we really are in trouble
I got absolutely castigated on this here forum for saying that hourihane is a poor man's Norwood when we signed him. Guess what. I am right. Other than decent set plays Hourihane is a passenger. And I really don't rate Norwood much either.

Did I suggest we wipe 16 players in a single transfer window? No, I didn't.

The squad is horrifically unbalanced and lacking quality despite a bloated amount of pro's on the payroll. It's that bad we are still shoehorning in the likes of Osborn as an attacker and depending on Sharp to play 3 games in a week as a lone striker. All the while we have £44m worth of strikers sat in the bench and stands that rightly deemed NGE to get a minute on the pitch in the last 2 games.

What are your thoughts? Do you think there's players in the squad we can utilise? Change of tactics perhaps?

Feel free to indulge me with what you see as our solution to the stuttering season we are having 👍🏾

OK seeing as you asked nicely...

Fine margins. An over used phrase (especially in the Wilder era), but last night was a great example. Yeah I know we had a below par first half (because Slav pandered to the Ndiaye needs a rest brigade) but we have to acknowledge there was plenty that went against us last night. Freak 1 in a million goals, misses from six inches out, red card, biased refereeing, 94th minute losing goal... Millwall were ridiculously fortunate and that sort of jammyness won't be happening for opposition sides on the weekly.

My point is that you are proposing a knock the whole thing down and start again approach based on something in the 99th percentile. People were clammering for McGoldrick to return to the starting XI after the Stoke game and 96 minutes later he's done at the club?? It's just so reactionary. Had it been a regulation defeat fair enough, but that could and should have been all three points for us last night and it wasn't down to the system or the calibre of players at Slav's disposal that we came away with none.

In terms of what to do about it? Well we are steadily improving but I can see players are sticking to Slav's instructions come what may, but we went down to 10 men last night and what our centre halves can't be doing is continue to pass the ball into centre midfield when we only have one CM on the pitch (Fleck) and the extra man unsighted to him is already breathing down his neck before he receives the ball. We can't rely on a 35 year old Billy Sharp to play 90 minutes twice a week as a lone striker leading the line as we will see diminishing returns from him, we shouldn't be signing loan players in key positions who made it patently clear they had no desire to join the club, we should give the likes of Fleck and Norwood outlets around them who are at least technically as good as them and can provide regular passing outlets (e.g. Baldock, Osborn especially God love him but he is a bigger weak point in the system Slav wants to play than anybody else who is having fingers pointed at them).

We are still a work in progress but I have faith small tweaks here and there over time will see us continue to improve and the baby is safe in the bath for now.

I got absolutely castigated on this here forum for saying that hourihane is a poor man's Norwood when we signed him. Guess what. I am right. Other than decent set plays Hourihane is a passenger. And I really don't rate Norwood much either.

Inverse Norwood then

Slav has sadly inherited a Frankenstein team that was created from a collection of journeymen, and panic buys. I would like to think he will be afforded the time and finance to build a new team, but I am starting to doubt that.

Then they need to play, sat on their arse they only depreciate in value.
For as long as everyone still thinks it’s our fault that Brewster, McBurnie and Berge are stinking the place out...We still might find some mug club willing to take them on. But once it’s out that we’ve been sold a pup...We might need to cut our losses.

People were clammering for McGoldrick to return to the starting XI after the Stoke game and 96 minutes later he's done at the club?? It's just so reactionary.

And I hold my hands up for being one of those people. After the Stoke game I was excited when I saw McGoldrick on the team sheet but he looked as ineffective last night as he did in the other games he's featured under Slav. We loved Didz in spite of his woeful finishing because his all round game was superb, but now his all round game is 'meh' at best and he isn't at a stage in his career where he can improve to the standards we require as a club with ambitions of promotion.

We can't rely on a 35 year old Billy Sharp to play 90 minutes twice a week as a lone striker leading the line

Entirely agree. Hence the need to free up some funds asap so that we can bring in fresh players because the striking department is expensively bloated with not enough quality to dislodge Sharp.

We are still a work in progress but I have faith small tweaks here and there over time will see us continue to improve

Entirely disagree. We don't have a core of players worth building a side around at the moment. In Baldock, Bogle, Davies, Egan, Ndiaye and Sharp (for this season at a max) we have half a side worthy of putting out. You mentioned Osborn - it's damning evidence that he has dislodged Burke & Freeman who are much more native to that position. Nothing against Ozzie, but everything against Freeman and Burke.

the baby is safe in the bath for now

Safe. Maybe. I doubt we'll get relegated but we certainly are not going to worry any genuine promotion contenders. If midtable safety is our ambition then we're haemorrhaging a huge amount of money to keep up with the Birminghams, Millwalls, PNE's and Middlesbrough's of this league.

You mentioned Osborn - it's damning evidence that he has dislodged Burke & Freeman who are much more native to that position.

Damning evidence of Wilder's poor recruitment. The fact those other two can't get in this team is bad enough, the fact it's severely limited footballer Ben Osborn keeping them out is even worse!

If Slav had that additional winger he so desperately needed I believe we'd be witnessing a side transformed.

Damning evidence of Wilder's poor recruitment. The fact those other two can't get in this team is bad enough, the fact it's severely limited footballer Ben Osborn keeping them out is even worse!

If Slav had that additional winger he so desperately needed I believe we'd be witnessing a side transformed.

I think recruitment did their job at least with MGW in getting him a wide, attacking player but it's not transformed us. Although I dread to think what we'd be without him?

I suppose we'll find out in the next couple of games 😩

absolute joke. 3 days prior didzy singlehandedly saved our a*ses from defeat. Now he's for the bin. Some of our fans love an overreaction post-defeat!

Pains me to see what once were fan favourites reduced to tired, mediocre journeymen that are a drain on our resources.

They were forgiven for looking out of their depth in the Premier League but to see them put in a 4/10 performance against the might of Millwall at home is beyond disappointing. It's sobering to think that they look well out of their depth in what has been the poorest standard of Championship football in many years.

Verrips, Robinson, RND, Lowe, Slater, Freeman & Mousse need a career change. Quickly.

That's 16 players on professional contracts that for one reason or another we need to turnover. It's a frighteningly large job, I just hope Slav is the man for it.

Writing players off who haven’t had a fair crack this season

Brewster - Hasn’t played a single game as a no9 this season
Mcburnie - Has looked good when given minimal game time and was excellent v Southampton
Berge- Has looked our best midfielder by a mile when given the game time

You can’t judge players after minimal game time why should Ben Osborne/ Billy sharp play every game 90 minutes when they have been bang average for months when Brewster and even Burke who offer far more going forward get no game time at all and when they do get 10 minutes and then don’t pull up trees are written off

The definition of stupidity is doing the same things over and over again like playing sharp/osborn/fleck etc and expecting us to suddenly become top 2

We don’t need a clear out there are good players in that squad that are been massively missused and out of form

I think recruitment did their job at least with MGW in getting him a wide, attacking player but it's not transformed us. Although I dread to think what we'd be without him?

I suppose we'll find out in the next couple of games 😩

Just a 1 game ban.

I meant Slav wanted two wingers not just the one (and strictly speaking MGW is more a 10 not a winger). My point being we are a Collado away from whats required.

absolute joke. 3 days prior didzy singlehandedly saved our a*ses from defeat. Now he's for the bin. Some of our fans love an overreaction post-defeat!

My opinion of Didz has been formed since August, not last night. Based on his performances this season his contribution vs. Stoke was the exception and not the rule.

At some point very soon, when we assess the expiring contracts, we'll have to ask ourselves the question do we offer fresh terms to a 34yo striker who can't score?

Brewster - Hasn’t played a single game as a no9 this season

Wilder & Heckingbottom clearly didn't have any faith in him. The fact he has been dropped from the matchday squad suggests Slav has now reached that point too.

Berge- Has looked our best midfielder by a mile when given the game time

Hahahaha. I needed a good laugh after last night, cheers 👍🏾

Berge and Brewster have been the biggest disappointments of all time but we haven’t been the same team since our 2 best players by a country mile (Henderson, JOC) haven’t been available I guess Hendo we ‘could’ have got for another season (opted for Ramsdale instead) but the loss of Jack was our downfall and still is.

grumpy-mrgrumpygills.gif

Sorry but we missed Norwood in that 1st half, he is not as bad as some make out
Obvious after the first 10 minutes, Norwood over Hourihane. Slav broke the rule, don't change a winning team. Start with last Saturdays starting 11. Same subs.
Red card flattened us though. Won game otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom