The Athletic article - United player contract status

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But with no funds for new wood, so we can just bring the saplings in.
Wilder didn’t have funds but he managed to do the job. We all know you don’t need to spend big. Besides, what’s make you think there is no funds?

Wilder didn’t have funds but he managed to do the job. We all know you don’t need to spend big. Besides, what’s make you think there is no funds?
Just the facts that the budget is smaller than last season, when we struggled to afford the players required, the Prince is happy to sell the club, the way were hoping to become a sustainable club, bringing through the youth instead of buying players, the way we will be looking at loans or free agents, erm, well, everything really.

Oh, and when Wilder did have funds.....Mcburnie £20m, Brewster £28m, Berge £22m, that's £70million spunked.

Just the facts that the budget is smaller than last season, when we struggled to afford the players required, the Prince is happy to sell the club, the way were hoping to become a sustainable club, bringing through the youth instead of buying players, the way we will be looking at loans or free agents, erm, well, everything really.

Oh, and when Wilder did have funds.....Mcburnie £20m, Brewster £28m, Berge £22m, that's £70million spunked.Agree

Oh, and when Wilder did have funds.....Mcburnie £20m, Brewster £28m, Berge £22m, that's £70million spunked.
Agreed, Wilder was an Absolute liability with money to spend.

I think there is a little bit more money in the pot than we’re all made to believe. Maybe I’m been hopeful. We shall see

The Club isn’t thick, they will know full well whose contracts are due to end and who will feature long term beyond next season.

The problem highlighted to me is Sander Berge. I think we want to sell him but only for £35m+ - I think the stuttering of this sale has prevented us from having a real foray into the transfer market. I expected bids galore for him from Prem sides but have they come? I don’t think they have. Perhaps we should accept £28-30m for him instead and kick start our dealings.
I think it'll be a fair bit below £20m if and when it happens

But with no funds for new wood, so we can just bring the saplings in.
If we release all the players whose contracts expire at the end of the season we’ll have cut our wage bill substantially. We still get parachute payments next season, albeit reduced. And we’re assuming none of Bogle, N’Diaye, Brewster (and the various kids who may have a breakthrough season) kick on to the point where PL clubs offer us decent money for them, if we don’t go up.

I think we’ve got two, possibly three more goes at promotion before things get tight. This season, next season and, if we recruit well at the end of this season, the season after next. After that, unless we find the next Wilder/Warnock/Bassett I think we’ll be fucked without some outside investment. It’s football though and there’s always the potential for things to go badly wrong, or surprisingly right.

The Club isn’t thick, they will know full well whose contracts are due to end and who will feature long term beyond next season.

The problem highlighted to me is Sander Berge. I think we want to sell him but only for £35m+ - I think the stuttering of this sale has prevented us from having a real foray into the transfer market. I expected bids galore for him from Prem sides but have they come? I don’t think they have. Perhaps we should accept £28-30m for him instead and kick start our dealings.
£28 million?! 🤣🤣😭😂

One out of three ain't bad.

McBurnie was £17m rising to £20m. Fair to say we probably owed Swansea £1m when we stayed up in 19/20 but beyond that he's not done anything to trigger bonuses.

Brewster was £18m rising to £23.5m and I'd be gobsmacked if we've paid any variables.

Berge was €25m so £22m at the prevailing exchange rate.

Not that it makes it any better because we haven't had anywhere near £60m of value out of them.

One out of three ain't bad.

McBurnie was £17m rising to £20m. Fair to say we probably owed Swansea £1m when we stayed up in 19/20 but beyond that he's not done anything to trigger bonuses.

Brewster was £18m rising to £23.5m and I'd be gobsmacked if we've paid any variables.

Berge was €25m so £22m at the prevailing exchange rate.

Not that it makes it any better because we haven't had anywhere near £60m of value out of them.
I'd say Swansea should actually owe us £25m for taking Mcbollocks off them!

Spurs signed Brighton's best midfielder for less than that.

Sander signed for us in 2020 on a 4.5yr deal as our record signing for £22m, so he’s got 2.5yrs left of his deal which includes a release clause of £35m.

As a Norwegian international, clearly (to anyone with a football brain anyway) he has enough to play in Prem in a better side than us.

Adding £6m on to what we paid for him 2 years ago is highly realistic and would give us a bit of a foothold in the transfer market this Summer and in Jan. In 2021 Arsenal were quoted £35m and rejected it so I can’t see with 2.5yrs left we’d accept anything less than £28m.

Sander signed for us in 2020 on a 4.5yr deal as our record signing for £22m, so he’s got 2.5yrs left of his deal which includes a release clause of £35m.

As a Norwegian international, clearly (to anyone with a football brain anyway) he has enough to play in Prem in a better side than us.

Adding £6m on to what we paid for him 2 years ago is highly realistic and would give us a bit of a foothold in the transfer market this Summer and in Jan. In 2021 Arsenal were quoted £35m and rejected it so I can’t see with 2.5yrs left we’d accept anything less than £28m.
You think a player who did well in the Championship, in spells, this season and not really good enough in the Premier League the one before is worth £28 million

You must be on crack.

He hasn’t got 2.5 years left

Bissouma had one year left.

Also has an outstanding sexual assault charge unresolved (I think, don't sue me).

If we release all the players whose contracts expire at the end of the season we’ll have cut our wage bill substantially. We still get parachute payments next season, albeit reduced. And we’re assuming none of Bogle, N’Diaye, Brewster (and the various kids who may have a breakthrough season) kick on to the point where PL clubs offer us decent money for them, if we don’t go up.

I think we’ve got two, possibly three more goes at promotion before things get tight. This season, next season and, if we recruit well at the end of this season, the season after next. After that, unless we find the next Wilder/Warnock/Bassett I think we’ll be fucked without some outside investment. It’s football though and there’s always the potential for things to go badly wrong, or surprisingly right.

The parachute payments are gone already I understand, we've taken out loans already knowing we will receive this money. Once the parachute payments arrive we will just be sending them straight to the bank.

The parachute payments are gone already I understand, we've taken out loans already knowing we will receive this money. Once the parachute payments arrive we will just be sending them straight to the bank.
I haven’t seen any evidence of this and it would have been an extremely foolish decision for PA to take so I’ll believe it when I’ve seen solid proof. I hope it’s not the case as it means PA has really fucked us over.

I haven’t seen any evidence of this and it would have been an extremely foolish decision for PA to take so I’ll believe it when I’ve seen solid proof. I hope it’s not the case as it means PA has really fucked us over.

Back
Top Bottom