29 players in the squad... who misses out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stretch

A member of approximately average size.
Reaction score
That's how many I count anyway, including the youngsters.

Some are inevitably going to be disappointed with lack of game time, even more so as players return from injury.

Looks like January could be more about outgoings than anything, as well as the need to strengthen the wide areas and hope we can keep MGW.

So who misses out?

Likely starting 11 (for now) when all available:

-------------------------------Olsen---------------------------------

Baldock------------Egan------------Davies------------------RND

----------------Norwood----------------Fleck-----------------------

-------------MGW----------Ndiaye----------Osborn---------------
------------------------------Sharp-----------------------------------

Who are going to make up the bench from this lot? (currently available)

Wes
Verrips
Basham
Robbo
Bogle
Berge
Hourihane
Guediora
Freeman
Burke
Brewster
McBurnie

And currently injured (I am excluding JOC as I can't see him ever coming back. Hope I am wrong :( )

Stevens
Didsy
Mousse

Then the young uns who have featured:

Lopata - would love to see this lad in the first team myself.
Gordon
Brunt

Slav has got a few headaches selection wise, no doubt.

Brunt finds himself a long way down Th e pecking order now so I think a loan is on the cards. Slater will be moved on in jan once he’s fit I expect Burke I also suspect is done here aswell

Strikers wise we were always going to have a few missing out.
Sharp's made his stake for the position.

If we are going to play 4 at the back, Basham will start to miss out too because Egan and Davies are first choice. I'd have played Bash instead of Robinson on Sat though, played Egan on the left side.

Add Slater to that aswell.
I would imagine if it’s the same team plus Davies and Olson as Saturday, that the subs are
Wes Bogle Bash Berge Hourihane Mcburnie and Brewster.

Where would the wingers fit in ? Or dont we need them now ? I agree its looking a big squad.

He’s not signed Guediora for nothing. I think he’ll be phased in over a number of games to replace Norwood.

He’s not signed Guediora for nothing. I think he’ll be phased in over a number of games to replace Norwood.

Maybe, or he's been brought in to add a bit more depth into the squad. Either way, competition for places is a good thing and should drive all concerned to improve performances.

Where would the wingers fit in ? Or dont we need them now ? I agree its looking a big squad.
I’d imagine Collado was earmarked to play where osborn played but if he keeps up that kind of form a new player might not be needed

We initially submitted a 22 man squad to the EFL. O'Connell & Eastwood were not in that. I think you add Olsen & Guedioura to that to make a 24 man squad. Then all U21 contract players are automatically available.

Screenshot_20210909-145504_Acrobat for Samsung.jpgScreenshot_20210909-145602_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Brunt finds himself a long way down Th e pecking order now so I think a loan is on the cards. Slater will be moved on in jan once he’s fit I expect Burke I also suspect is done here aswell
You say that but if Saturday is the formation of choice Brunt could come into play, especially around Christmas when the games stack up.
I’d think he’d fancy his chances in any of the three positions behind the front man and you would suspect he’ll get the cup game next week to show how he links up with Brewster or McBurnie along with Freeman. Obviously needs to take his chance, but I think the new formation and approach, as well as us not getting the wingers in opens the door slightly as there’s not lots of cover in those positions.

You say that but if Saturday is the formation of choice Brunt could come into play, especially around Christmas when the games stack up.
I’d think he’d fancy his chances in any of the three positions behind the front man and you would suspect he’ll get the cup game next week to show how he links up with Brewster or McBurnie along with Freeman. Obviously needs to take his chance, but I think the new formation and approach, as well as us not getting the wingers in opens the door slightly as there’s not lots of cover in those positions.
True there’s now three positions in the starting 11 that brunt could naturally play in as opposed to just one I’ve got him as 6th maybe 7th choice at the moment but like you say if he kicks on in training that could change.

How close is the young lad ayari ??
That depends he seems to have made the step up from the 18’s to the 23’s this year so a lot will depend on how he handles that step up and if he can produce consistently. I’d say he’s not as close as others for example Andre brooks seems to be the latest to have been sent to train with the first team squad not ayari so he’s probably the one to keep an eye on first before ayari in terms of getting on the bench or maybe even cup minutes.

We initially submitted a 22 man squad to the EFL. O'Connell & Eastwood were not in that. I think you add Olsen & Guedioura to that to make a 24 man squad. Then all U21 contract players are automatically available.

View attachment 120977View attachment 120978
Out of that first team list I think we will look to ship out 5 in January
Verrips
Burke
Freeman
Robinson
And sadly Didzy

True there’s now three positions in the starting 11 that brunt could naturally play in as opposed to just one I’ve got him as 6th maybe 7th choice at the moment but like you say if he kicks on in training that could change.
We’ve been waiting for Burke to “kick on” ever since he arrived. I personally thought he might be a big asset in the Championship but the guy is just no good. Get rid of him he’s a waste of space.

We’ve been waiting for Burke to “kick on” ever since he arrived. I personally thought he might be a big asset in the Championship but the guy is just no good. Get rid of him he’s a waste of space.
We have and I’m ready to move on from Burke as I don’t see where he fits in the 3 behind as it played against Peterborough where it was all about close control and reading the game. Brunt however is a natural 10 who’s been comfortable linked with the advanced fullback and striker for the 23’s so it might suit him as a way of playing.

Wilder to Forest, Didzy and Burke will follow him there, both ex-Forest and loved there

Agreed although with Guedioura he is 36 in November and had to work to get prove himself and get a contract so must be something there. Definitely in his twilight years in career senses working with Slav so much previously and the constant comments of how good he is for the dressing room, I wouldn't expect miracles but a player the youngsters can learn off and he might slot in a few times too where Slav must have identified short comings. He isn't known for goals so maybe Slav sees him in DM role as a pivot for the back 3 allowing others to get forward or as more cover off the bench if we need to protect the lead.

There could be a few surprises in Slavs selection for starter against PNE. He will select the team and the tactics based on the threat from the opposition. The larger squad availability gives him serious options on field, and off the bench, with so many attacking players to choose from, he could shock opposition teams with strength in depth on match days, availability permitting. Don’t be surprised if Billy scores in this one, along with Freeman, while PNE are trying to mark Gibbs and Ndiaye out of the game.
So many options available if the ‘new’ blades can kick on.

There could be a few surprises in Slavs selection for starter against PNE. He will select the team and the tactics based on the threat from the opposition. The larger squad availability gives him serious options on field, and off the bench, with so many attacking players to choose from, he could shock opposition teams with strength in depth on match days, availability permitting. Don’t be surprised if Billy scores in this one, along with Freeman, while PNE are trying to mark Gibbs and Ndiaye out of the game.
So many options available if the ‘new’ blades can kick on.
Is this “horses for courses” approach something he’s done before? I can’t say I’ve studied his methods in that level of detail but could just remember seeing the same names each week bagging goals for them.

Illiman Cheeky Boy!! 😀⚔️
As that's a response to my post on the squad submitted to the EFL, I'll allow myself to say ... I'm not a fan of making fun of people's names ... oooohhhh look, forrin, sounds like something daft. Not for me I'm afraid.

Is this “horses for courses” approach something he’s done before? I can’t say I’ve studied his methods in that level of detail but could just remember seeing the same names each week bagging goals for them.
I just think he has so many options now, at least when his first picks are not injured, sick, or suffering from post Covid trauma.
He is smart enough to have learned a few tricks from his previous Championship experience. He obviously likes Freeman and Berge, but how to fit them both into a winning side? I’m only guessing really. :)

Back
Top Bottom