Old Guard (Fleck, Stevens & Didz)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadly_D'Jaffo

Reaction score
Pains me to see what once were fan favourites reduced to tired, mediocre journeymen that are a drain on our resources.

They were forgiven for looking out of their depth in the Premier League but to see them put in a 4/10 performance against the might of Millwall at home is beyond disappointing. It's sobering to think that they look well out of their depth in what has been the poorest standard of Championship football in many years.

A big clearout is needed.

Olsen & Hourihane need sending back.

Stevens, Fleck, Didz and perhaps even Bash (💔) need a fond farewell.

Berge, Brewster and McBurnie need writing down or off.

Verrips, Robinson, RND, Lowe, Slater, Freeman & Mousse need a career change. Quickly.

That's 16 players on professional contracts that for one reason or another we need to turnover. It's a frighteningly large job, I just hope Slav is the man for it.

Pains me to see what once were fan favourites reduced to tired, mediocre journeymen that are a drain on our resources.

They were forgiven for looking out of their depth in the Premier League but to see them put in a 4/10 performance against the might of Millwall at home is beyond disappointing. It's sobering to think that they look well out of their depth in what has been the poorest standard of Championship football in many years.

Verrips, Robinson, RND, Lowe, Slater, Freeman & Mousse need a career change. Quickly.

That's 16 players on professional contracts that for one reason or another we need to turnover. It's a frighteningly large job, I just hope Slav is the man for it.
Or we could just buy Plymouth.

If only we had £70m to spend to replace and improve these players /squad, wouldn't that be great.

After 4 and a half years of CW the players only know how to play one way, when was the last time we had a successful signing? our better players are now older and aged if we’d have got the money we should have had a clear out but I’m sure I’m telling everyone what we all knew, I’m afraid it’s going to be one of those seasons 9 years and counting and we’ll be back…

Didzy is still an asset.

Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, osborne and probably Hourahan need fucking off.

You see Ndiaye, gibbs white and Bogle playing quality little touches to get round the back and then the old guard just slowing shit down in the corner or knocking it backwards.

Let's have it right Norwood needs adding to that list. Not having this stat padding rubbish about he plays more long balls than anyone in country or any of that nonsense. When it comes to the basics of a central midfielder he can't do it.

No engine, can't tackle and his game awareness is none existent. Their second goal he stands 10 yards off their player to let him do what he wants and advance on our goal. Take him out on the half way line. Ref won't book him because he's lost control by that point and we can regroup.

McGoldrick was poor tonight but is still capable, but he's not a person we can rely on to score and that's an issue when none of our other strikers look like scoring either and people are looking to him.

Fleck lost possession so many times tonight it was criminal, does he think he has a forcefield around him when he's facing his own goal? We need to design a shirt with wing mirrors if we're going to keep playing him.

Stevens is better than last season but he's a long way from the Stevens we used to know, but he's not got anyone pushing him really, RND is equally prone to a brain fart and doesn't have the experience of Enda, which does occasionally serve us well.

Norwood, I just can't see the point of him when his deadballs are so atrocious, but Hourihane did absolutely nothing before Ndiaye came on, and Berge seems to be injured a lot now, unless it's Beattie flu for the JTW.

Let's have it right Norwood needs adding to that list. Not having this stat padding rubbish about he plays more long balls than anyone in country or any of that nonsense. When it comes to the basics of a central midfielder he can't do it.

No engine, can't tackle and his game awareness is none existent. Their second goal he stands 10 yards off their player to let him do what he wants and advance on our goal. Take him out on the half way line. Ref won't book him because he's lost control by that point and we can regroup.

He's not an asset I'd want us to protect, but you saw tonight how bad we are without him.

It's a similar conundrum to the Michael Doyle one we had years ago - poor-to-average with him in the first XI but absolutely woeful without him.

In a queue of players heading towards the exit door, Norwood should not be at the front.

Need to go next window:

Obvious list> Norwood/Fleck/Stevens/McBurnie/Brewster/Burke

Not so obvious list> Osborn/RND/Bogle/Olsen

Dubious/mad list> Didsy/Slav/Abdullah

Osborn is one who typifies the majority of our present day squad - we want him to do well, he tries his best, but when on the ball and pressed he will mostly run down a blind alley and either lose the ball or stop and pass it backwards. His final pass and crossing are below average too. I like the lad but we won’t progress with him being a starter every game. Not sure who we replace him with but that’s the manager’s job. Bye the way this isn’t a dig at Ozzie as there’s about half a dozen players we can put in this category, most of them superb two seasons back.

UTB.

Love Didzy to bits but I'm struggling to think of many strikers we've had who miss so many sitters.

I never expect him to score one on one.

I wouldn't write all three off just yet though.

So your plan is to wind up the club and pack it all in? Nah sorry

You are right 100% the Wilder old guard are way past their sell by date
Unfortunately Slav has his hands tied and it will take time

Didzy doesn't have the legs to start games and he should be a striker given his repeated inability to finish chances. He has a role this season, like at Stoke, as an impact sub. Can do it in a short burst against tiring defenders. Contract is up at the end of the season anyway, so unless we can get 500k from someone in Jan, we keep.

I thought Stevens played really well tonight. His best game this season. One of our best players. If we're playing fullbacks then RND has looked poor and Lowe is away (and not convinced) We'll never get rid. He has 1.5 years left. We might need a better first choice but decent cover if nothing else.

Fleck is a league 1 player. He's done ok going forward the last few games but his defensive side is nowhere near good enough. Gives the ball away and gets caught on the ball every single game. He's on big wages, no way anyone will want him.

I think Bash has gone but contract's up end of the season and ok as a back-up

Sharp again is on the downslope. Contract's up and can do a job but you can see he's tired and struggles against experienced defenders wh don't fall for his tricks and fouls. Problem is, of our 50 million strikeforce they all seem shit. I think you give McBurnie a start.

Nowrood has been awful all season. He has lots of the ball but can't play if he's being pressed. Give him plenty of time and he'll ping it around but hardly ever assists and set pieces are crap. Like Fleck, no one is going to buy him.

Not buying players in summer will cost us. We lose what 5 more at the end of the season plus the loans and so in a worse place than June.

Didzy is still an asset.

Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, osborne and probably Hourahan need fucking off.

You see Ndiaye, gibbs white and Bogle playing quality little touches to get round the back and then the old guard just slowing shit down in the corner or knocking it backwards.
It was stevens and Osborne who excellently set up a sitter for didzy as well as any one tonight. Sadly didz managed to miss from 2 yards.

Don't forget Norwood

Thought Enda played well today for most part, looked knackered at the end

The last time we were in this division Enda was my POTY (I think Didz won in the end) and he carried that into the PL. His passing, movement, athleticism and crossing was excellent (and his megs) but since the restart last year he looks like he's running in wellies.

Need to go next window:

Obvious list> Norwood/Fleck/Stevens/McBurnie/Brewster/Burke

Not so obvious list> Osborn/RND/Bogle/Olsen

Dubious/mad list> Didsy/Slav/Abdullah
Sort of agree, however financial hat on, owners might think if you can have a good 6 months from mcburnie/brewster /Burke you might get some sort of return. You won't be throwing them out now at their age.

Sort of agree, however financial hat on, owners might think if you can have a good 6 months from mcburnie/brewster /Burke you might get some sort of return. You won't be throwing them out now at their age.

Then they need to play, sat on their arse they only depreciate in value.

Didzy has more skill in his left toe than I have in my body but doesn’t mean I can’t give him constructive criticism.

Body shape for that chance in the first half showed him wanting to bend it to the keepers left and inside the post.

Top level strikers do exactly the same with the body shape and give the goalie the eyes but then dink it into the opposite corner.

Easy for me to say sat in the stands but I’m afraid that’s what separates a top class finisher to a 2nd rate one

So your plan is to wind up the club and pack it all in? Nah sorry

Did I suggest we wipe 16 players in a single transfer window? No, I didn't.

The squad is horrifically unbalanced and lacking quality despite a bloated amount of pro's on the payroll. It's that bad we are still shoehorning in the likes of Osborn as an attacker and depending on Sharp to play 3 games in a week as a lone striker. All the while we have £44m worth of strikers sat in the bench and stands that rightly deemed NGE to get a minute on the pitch in the last 2 games.

What are your thoughts? Do you think there's players in the squad we can utilise? Change of tactics perhaps?

Feel free to indulge me with what you see as our solution to the stuttering season we are having 👍🏾

Top level strikers do exactly the same with the body shape and give the goalie the eyes but then dink it into the opposite corner.

Easy for me to say sat in the stands but I’m afraid that’s what separates a top class finisher to a 2nd rate one
I wish he was second rate. He would have scored at least one tonight.

Back
Top Bottom