When the dust settles...planning for next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Current squad, everybody fit and we win the league.

Bewster gets 20 goals
Berge and Ndiaye 10 each

Just buy pigs squad, we could buy it for less than a quid, they do have the world's best premier League team and midfielder..

I'm not helping much in this post, am I.

At what point do we need to bring Coulibaly back to make sure he gets a work permit - think we have to be quick don't we? Could be a useful body to have around and to develop.
View attachment 136181
Hecky doesnt rate him apparently??

Davis is currently discussing a new deal, as is Hourihan by all accounts.

Uremovic has been asked about his thoughts on staying, if it's a possibility.

We need to get all our work sorted as soon as possible, a full pre season is a must, if we are going to do anything next season, we need to know where we are starting from.

Hecky doesnt rate him apparently??

Davis is currently discussing a new deal, as is Hourihan by all accounts.

Uremovic has been asked about his thoughts on staying, if it's a possibility.

We need to get all our work sorted as soon as possible, a full pre season is a must, if we are going to do anything next season, we need to know where we are starting from.
Hourihane discussing a new deal, that's not the drift I got from his goodbye tweet or Instagram post the other day.

I was going to give it a little while, and then start a thread of this nature, probably today or in the next couple of days, there's always one impatient sod, eh Balham Blade? 😉

Then, truth be told, I wouldn't have written it this eloquently - and agree with all the ins and outs you've suggested.

In a short version, my first thoughts are:
  • Foderingham deserves to stay as first choice and on limited funds, we need to prioritise other areas first.
  • Find a cheap, acceptable second choice, Davies if the coaching staff are impressed enough.
  • Keep both RWBs, have RND and Lowe contest LWB, unless Forest want to pay us a fee for Lowe.
  • Inject some much, much needed legs into midfield.
A lot will depend on outgoings, and a lot will depend on ownership or investment.

Do we have a viable scenario whereby we manage to keep Egan and Berge, to really go for it? I'd really, really hope so. Berge I wouldn't begrudge leaving and would command the greatest fee, but would be harder to replace.

I half expect 3 major outgoings, depending on finances - Egan, Berge and one other, maybe Baldock or maybe a disappointing youngster sale, although I really hope not. I can't see a situation where our only losses are the returning loanees??

As for what we do, I've said all along I want sensible lower league investment, using our funds wisely for players who have growth, potential, hunger, can grow with us - as when we brought in Fleck, Enda, Baldock, JOC...

Our first task needs to be speaking to each member of the squad and getting a sense of their commitment to the cause. As an absolute priority. If we assume funds may be limited, we need to know exactly what we're working with, and what we need to do.

I was going to give it a little while, and then start a thread of this nature, probably today or in the next couple of days, there's always one impatient sod, eh Balham Blade? 😉

Then, truth be told, I wouldn't have written it this eloquently - and agree with all the ins and outs you've suggested.

In a short version, my first thoughts are:
  • Foderingham deserves to stay as first choice and on limited funds, we need to prioritise other areas first.
  • Find a cheap, acceptable second choice, Davies if the coaching staff are impressed enough.
  • Keep both RWBs, have RND and Lowe contest LWB, unless Forest want to pay us a fee for Lowe.
  • Inject some much, much needed legs into midfield.
A lot will depend on outgoings, and a lot will depend on ownership or investment.

Do we have a viable scenario whereby we manage to keep Egan and Berge, to really go for it? I'd really, really hope so. Berge I wouldn't begrudge leaving and would command the greatest fee, but would be harder to replace.

I half expect 3 major outgoings, depending on finances - Egan, Berge and one other, maybe Baldock or maybe a disappointing youngster sale, although I really hope not. I can't see a situation where our only losses are the returning loanees??

As for what we do, I've said all along I want sensible lower league investment, using our funds wisely for players who have growth, potential, hunger, can grow with us - as when we brought in Fleck, Enda, Baldock, JOC...
I can't see anyone taking Egan at 29, maybe Celtic with obvious connection. If he was going to go I thought it may have been last season but I think he'll finish his career with us.

I can't see anyone taking Egan at 29, may e Celtic with obvious connection. If he was going to go I thought it may have been last season but I think he'll finish his career with us.
I really hope you're right!

We need 2 new midfielders preferably under 25 and athletic Norwood and Fleck are another year older and we need fresh blood in there. Then presuming Berge goes and obviously with MGW gone back to wolves that's 2 more spots to fill. Hourihane can stay or go. He is cover at best.
Then we need 3 centre halves.....whether that means Lopata is one remains to be seen. We will be lucky having Egan playing every game and not pick up an injury or suspension.

Ideally if we can offload Burke we could bring in 1 striker. McBurnie ain't going to do it for us. Billy will play his part. Osulu.and Jebbison are a bit raw yet but should get some game time.

This window needs to be about transforming the team with some younger players.
If we don't we will decline.

Rcb we should go for Ronnie Edwards at Peterborough, they do normally charge a fortune though, unsure of his contract situation. People have mentioned Scott twine, I wanted us to go for him last year before he went to mk Dons. Josh Laurent in midfield, brannagan also. Would like someone like Keenan Davis up top, maybe Clarke Harris?

We’d have done the business and got promoted this year if it wasn’t for injuries. Sort out whatever it is (training ground, medical staff etc) and replace MGW with another young exciting loan/possibly Ndiaye (but I do like him as a striker) and depending if Berge goes or not, someone to replace him and I think we’ll be pushing top 2.

We are in a really difficult situation due to zero permanents in the last two windows. The Osborn resigning is also very strange unless Lowe is off. It's imperitive that we get five or six permanents in this window. RCB, LCB, two midfielders and one striker at a minimum.

We are in a really difficult situation due to zero permanents in the last two windows. The Osborn resigning is also very strange unless Lowe is off. It's imperitive that we get five or six permanents in this window. RCB, LCB, two midfielders and one striker at a minimum.
I suspect Osborn has been signed as midfield cover primarily.

We desperately need a few permanent signings though, especially given how many contract are due to run out next summer.

Think I'll stick to what I said back in April. Post #43:

I think we miss out on, or are not prepared to have as undisputed first picks in lieu of current players - Lenihan, Goldstone, Stevens, Rothwell, Swift, Jed Wallace.

I'd loan out all the following youngsters on season long or six month loans so they get games - Amissah, Dewhurst, Seriki, Starbuck, Gordon, Lopata. Gomis, Boyes, Brunt, Neal, Broadbent, Ayari.

I'd keep Arblaster, Peck, Maguire, Lankshear at the club and training with the first team, maybe sending them on short term loans to non-league to experience rough and tumble when it suits. I'd probably wait until pre-season to judge on Jebbison/Osula and depending on if McBurnie is still here.

So we say farewell to - Verrips, Eastwood, Goode, Uremovic, Davies, Lowe, Hourihane, Freeman, Gibbs-White, McGoldrick, Mousset and helas Berge.

Something like this:
G(2) - Foderingham, Davies

D(10) - Bogle, Baldock, Stevens, Norrington-Davies, Basham, Egan, Robinson, Wisdom(free), M Wallace/Clarke-Salter(free), O'Connell

M(6) - Norwood, Fleck, Laurent(free), Branaghan(1m), Peck, Osborn

F(7) - Twine/Sebaoui(2-3m), N'Diaye, Lawrence(free), Sharp, Brewster, McBurnie/Jebbison, Osula

1RCB
1LCB
2CM
2AM/F

I'd use the money for Max Lowe to acquire Branaghan and Twine. If I couldn't get Twine then I'd consider swapping Coulibaly for Sebaoui (who impressed me at Beerschot), valuing both around the 2m mark. Rest of the arrivals have no fee. Berge money and probably Calvert-Lewin sell-on look after shortfall. I'd consider selling Coulibaly if not swapping; we have to be pragmatic and players like Laurent already know the division.

Obviously if we miss out on a number of the above then we look at loans but Lawrence, Twine, Branaghan would look to replace the goals of Gibbs-White and you'd hope to have less injuries in the forwards.

Defensively, Murray Wallace could play CB, LCB or even LWB. If we could retain Uremovic, I'd prefer him over Wisdom but as this past month has shown, Basham is getting picked if fit, so you want someone who can accept a back up role. No point stalling a youngster's development for that.

Last edited:
Haven't paid a transfer fee since the summer 2020 window.

Hecky has spoken out against loans...

Haven't paid a transfer fee since the summer 2020 window.

Hecky has spoken out against loans...

I think that was fine though wasn't it? The number of contracted players was high last summer so no need to overcommit. This time it makes sense to replace a few perms and we can do that because we've culled a few from the wage bill and a few will leave for fees.

Leaves the wage bill far more manageable and no need to loan out a number of senior pros because they are making the place look untidy.

Oh and I forgot Oli Burke from my above list.

Obviously the hypnotism sessions are working!

Yeah. I'd shitcan him at the earliest convenience.

Run Forrest, Run!

Last edited:
Any one heard anything about O'Connell???? Its deathly quiet, am starting to fear the worst. Sincerely hope I am wrong, got an awful feeling he will not return.

Back
Top Bottom