The Athletic article - United player contract status

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You think a player who did well in the Championship, in spells, this season and not really good enough in the Premier League the one before is worth £28 million

You must be on crack.

No, I don’t believe we’ll sell for anything less. I may be proven wrong but we stood firm last summer so I think we’ll do the same this transfer window at the price I’ve stated.

Have a discussion without stooping to drug references.

Agreeing to do what?
Probably something like this

It smoothes over any cash flow problems.

I responded to this

“The parachute payments are gone already I understand, we've taken out loans already knowing we will receive this money. Once the parachute payments arrive we will just be sending them straight to the bank.”

I don’t think showing a facility agreement is evidence that the parachute payments are gone already.

Thanks for that info(education!) BushBlade, as I was thinking it to be something very different to what it actually is! 👍

Probably something like this

It smoothes over any cash flow problems.

I responded to this

“The parachute payments are gone already I understand, we've taken out loans already knowing we will receive this money. Once the parachute payments arrive we will just be sending them straight to the bank.”

I don’t think showing a facility agreement is evidence that the parachute payments are gone already.
There are loans taken out secured on parachute payments (albeit unspecified amounts), which are now payable to MQB rather than SUFC. I thought that was what you were asking for proof of.
It’s nothing new either, SUFC have essentially mortgaged every PL payment since promotion. Nothing irregular there as a lot of clubs do it

So, currently, if we sign nobody, we will have 5 players, is that factually correct or not?

The end of this season is May 2023.

If the quoted article is correct about contract dates, as things stand and we signed noone, surely we would have 12 players contracted until at least 2024:
Basham, Egan, Bogle, Baldock, Lowe, RND, Berge, Coulibaly, Ndiaye, Brewster, Jebbison and Osula.

The end of this season is May 2023.

If the quoted article is correct about contract dates, as things stand and we signed noone, surely we would have 12 players contracted until at least 2024:
Basham, Egan, Bogle, Baldock, Lowe, RND, Berge, Coulibaly, Ndiaye, Brewster, Jebbison and Osula.
Your probably right, there was interest in: Baldock, Lowe, Berge and Coulibaly wasnt counted as part of the squad, also Jebbo and Osula havent broken in fully to the first team, I believe that left us with 5, but it's so long ago I forget.

No, I don’t believe we’ll sell for anything less. I may be proven wrong but we stood firm last summer so I think we’ll do the same this transfer window at the price I’ve stated.

Have a discussion without stooping to drug references.

👆🏻 Looks so far as we’re doing exactly this. Fingers crossed we stand firm until TW closes.

So we have 12 senior players contracted for next season then?

And 2 of them are 20 with limited Championship experience.

Going to be a busy summer

Yes
Will take a long time to.sign those contract offers

We ultimately have until 10th June to renew any contracts that will expire where we want to keep the player, then from that point onwards we're filling the gaps through the transfer window. Business as usual for a club in summer, although maybe a few more contracts to sort than normal due to the embargo, but hopefully we have lined up deals where we can and we will just be getting papers signed

We ultimately have until 10th June to renew any contracts that will expire where we want to keep the player, then from that point onwards we're filling the gaps through the transfer window. Business as usual for a club in summer, although maybe a few more contracts to sort than normal due to the embargo, but hopefully we have lined up deals where we can and we will just be getting papers signed
Embargo over today or did you mean that within your post as per 'few more contracts to sort than normal due to the embargo'? ie time to sort whilst we had the embargo and were in limbo.

Embargo over today or did you mean that within your post as per 'few more contracts to sort than normal due to the embargo'? ie time to sort whilst we had the embargo and were in limbo.
Yeah, I meant the embargo has delayed us sorting contracts that might have been done by now, but I'd be surprised if we hadn't sorted some of the formalities already. Could see a few announcements come out once promotion is secured

From those who are out of contract from memory of those on that list is not be retaining many if we get promoted. The likes of Fleck, Bash, Stevens and Norwood have all given amazing service but I don't think they're good enough for the top flight, even as a back up because if the first choice does a hamstring injury just after the closing of the window then said back up is first choice for three months.

McBurnie, Robinson and Foderingham are the three who should merit a new contract but I wouldn't expect McBurnie or Robinson to be first choice next season. We're going going to need around 8 new signings this summer if we go up I'd guess.

From those who are out of contract from memory of those on that list is not be retaining many if we get promoted. The likes of Fleck, Bash, Stevens and Norwood have all given amazing service but I don't think they're good enough for the top flight, even as a back up because if the first choice does a hamstring injury just after the closing of the window then said back up is first choice for three months.

McBurnie, Robinson and Foderingham are the three who should merit a new contract but I wouldn't expect McBurnie or Robinson to be first choice next season. We're going going to need around 8 new signings this summer if we go up I'd guess.
Season starts in 4 months. Window closes in 4 and a bit. I am not expecting 8 first choice signings. That's hugely significant money. From where?

Reatined list needs sorting first. Then wages policy needs sorting before any players are bought.
These things are true if we get promoted or not!

Doyle as a permanent, and McAtee as a loan would be the most obvious priorities after retained list and wage ceiling is sorted.

Rumours about a Hibs striker might indicate the kind of pool we could be fishing in?

Season starts in 4 months. Window closes in 4 and a bit. I am not expecting 8 first choice signings. That's hugely significant money. From where?
I never said they'd all be first team starters though Berkshire. I expect some may be a loan or two also, I know you can only have one loan from other PL clubs. I think next season we'll need a new starter to the existing at LCB, centre forward, two centre mids (but that may be the return of Doyle and McAtee) and possibly RWB and either a new starter over Foderingham or cover for Foderingham. The rest will be for cover to Egan and Anel (I would have thought one player could cover both or the LCB to also cover Egan, Berge, another centre mid for competition and another forward as cover for Iliman. Something like that anyway. That's actually ten I think I countered but some could well be free transfers. Ben Brereton Diaz is going on a free for example, Matt Doherty another. I can't see the likes of Osborn, being kept on, I hope we release Norwood and Fleck to be honest, I just feel they are no longer PL standard, even lower PL standard. Stevens will be released I'm sure also.

I never said they'd all be first team starters though Berkshire. I expect some may be a loan or two also, I know you can only have one loan from other PL clubs. I think next season we'll need a new starter to the existing at LCB, centre forward, two centre mids (but that may be the return of Doyle and McAtee) and possibly RWB and either a new starter over Foderingham or cover for Foderingham. The rest will be for cover to Egan and Anel (I would have thought one player could cover both or the LCB to also cover Egan, Berge, another centre mid for competition and another forward as cover for Iliman. Something like that anyway. That's actually ten I think I countered but some could well be free transfers. Ben Brereton Diaz is going on a free for example, Matt Doherty another. I can't see the likes of Osborn, being kept on, I hope we release Norwood and Fleck to be honest, I just feel they are no longer PL standard, even lower PL standard. Stevens will be released I'm sure also.
All the stats proved Norwood was our best player for 2 3rds of the season. I would absolutely keep him in the squad. We aren't going to be able to sign three midfielders better than him along with all the other incomings imo

All the stats proved Norwood was our best player for 2 3rds of the season. I would absolutely keep him in the squad. We aren't going to be able to sign three midfielders better than him along with all the other incomings imo
Stats can be misleading Berkshire, and of late when Norwood has played many fans have said he hasn't been good enough, same woth Bogle who I may add I am a big fan of. When we got promoted under Widler Norwood was my player of the season so I am no means anti Norwood but toiugh decisions have to be made in terms of squad retention and I don't believe Norwood is PL quality anymore. Prior to us signing Norwood when Norwood was 25-27 Brighton didn't retain him and Fulham didn't sign him, there's a reason for that in my view but when he came to us he excelled in the middle and was worthy of being kept in the side. That was three seasons ago though.

I remember how poor Norwood was in the second season in the PL, granted he wasn't alone there, but there's no way Norwood has improved since then, he's two years older and no longer good enough to play every week in the PL, and for that matter there's a reason why Doyle is ahead of him. Yes he's played well this season, but not good enough in my view to be starter next season which he may well be if the week after the window closes the first choice centre mid does his hamstring and then Norwood is first choice for three months. If that happens then I would seriously worry for us. It's all well and good saying keep Norwood "in the squad" but as I say, he needs to be good enough to play 20 plus games because that is the reality with injuries that any cover player could end up playing.

Same with Robbo at LCB. He's had an amazing season in my view, I love his attitude, commitment and he's arguably been our best defender, but I wouldn't want him playing every week in the PL because I don't think he's good enough for that. I don't want to be negative but the PL gets better every season, the squad we had last time has aged and needs refreshing. Thankfully in Anel, Berge (when playing at his best), Doyle, McAtee (if retained), Ndiaye, Egan, and possibly Baldock and Foderingham we have some PL quality. But that won't be enough to stay up., we'll need other quality additions and some decent cover/competition players. I'm not advocating doing what Forest did and buying 20 new players if you look at the numbers I proposed.

Stats can be misleading Berkshire, and of late when Norwood has played many fans have said he hasn't been good enough, same woth Bogle who I may add I am a big fan of. When we got promoted under Widler Norwood was my player of the season so I am no means anti Norwood but toiugh decisions have to be made in terms of squad retention and I don't believe Norwood is PL quality anymore. Prior to us signing Norwood when Norwood was 25-27 Brighton didn't retain him and Fulham didn't sign him, there's a reason for that in my view but when he came to us he excelled in the middle and was worthy of being kept in the side. That was three seasons ago though.

I remember how poor Norwood was in the second season in the PL, granted he wasn't alone there, but there's no way Norwood has improved since then, he's two years older and no longer good enough to play every week in the PL, and for that matter there's a reason why Doyle is ahead of him. Yes he's played well this season, but not good enough in my view to be starter next season which he may well be if the week after the window closes the first choice centre mid does his hamstring and then Norwood is first choice for three months. If that happens then I would seriously worry for us. It's all well and good saying keep Norwood "in the squad" but as I say, he needs to be good enough to play 20 plus games because that is the reality with injuries that any cover player could end up playing.

Same with Robbo at LCB. He's had an amazing season in my view, I love his attitude, commitment and he's arguably been our best defender, but I wouldn't want him playing every week in the PL because I don't think he's good enough for that. I don't want to be negative but the PL gets better every season, the squad we had last time has aged and needs refreshing. Thankfully in Anel, Berge (when playing at his best), Doyle, McAtee (if retained), Ndiaye, Egan, and possibly Baldock and Foderingham we have some PL quality. But that won't be enough to stay up., we'll need other quality additions and some decent cover/competition players. I'm not advocating doing what Forest did and buying 20 new players if you look at the numbers I proposed.
I think people need to remember with one game a week ( mostly) the rotation isn't as big a factor for sides not in Europe. With no covid or mid world cup next season will feel particularly different even though it's back to normal for the first time in years! I expect maybe 5 first choice signings at a maximum and that's with the two city guys either coming back or being replaced

Back
Top Bottom