Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why does everyone bite when Bladezz posts ?

He's clearly a WUM albeit on the more boring end of the scale.

Why does everyone bite when Bladezz posts ?

He's clearly a WUM albeit on the more boring end of the scale.
Look at Norwoods stats yesterday. It goes against the grain on here but it was very clear yesterday. He made triple the passes than Brooks and higher pass completion than Hamer with more passes.

Look at Norwoods stats yesterday. It goes against the grain on here but it was very clear yesterday. He made triple the passes than Brooks and higher pass completion than Hamer with more passes.
Received ball and passes back to same player 5 yards away. Easy to gain high pass completion rates doing that ! Hamer passes forward, runs with ball and tries things around the opposition box meaning harder passes!

Not rocket science!!

Was our best player today and really drove us forward.

When we have the ball and dominate possession he is our most important player.
I watched the game and the assist for the 3rd goal aside i thought he had a really poor game

I'd go as far as to say Norwood was my favourite player after he joined us at the beginning of the 2018-19 season and a major reason why we achieved promotion. He was really good in the first season in the Prem and his set pieces were a feature of many of the goals we scored. However, like Enda and Fleck, he lost something after the lockdown period, perhaps what seems like any discernible pace he previously had, and now is nowhere near that player pre lockdown.

He just seems to panic every time he gets the ball, due to his lack of pace, and seems to try and cover this deficiency by playing aimless first time passes to no one in particular. He appears to have lost any confidence in his own ability to look up and see a pass or hold it at all for fear of being robbed of the ball. Maybe he realises that his lack of mobility means he can't do those things or knows he's not strong enough to hold off a challenge.

Whatever it is, he's sadly not up to the standard required and it's time to move on.

I'd go as far as to say Norwood was my favourite player after he joined us at the beginning of the 2018-19 season and a major reason why we achieved promotion. He was really good in the first season in the Prem and his set pieces were a feature of many of the goals we scored. However, like Enda and Fleck, he lost something after the lockdown period, perhaps what seems like any discernible pace he previously had, and now is nowhere near that player pre lockdown.

He just seems to panic every time he gets the ball, due to his lack of pace, and seems to try and cover this deficiency by playing aimless first time passes to no one in particular. He appears to have lost any confidence in his own ability to look up and see a pass or hold it at all for fear of being robbed of the ball. Maybe he realises that his lack of mobility means he can't do those things or knows he's not strong enough to hold off a challenge.

Whatever it is, he's sadly not up to the standard required and it's time to move on.
Sadly he's a passenger now, shouldn't be a first choice and need to go end of season

I saw it as Norwood playing a holding role to allow Brooks and McAtee to make the running

Bizarre, as even for the first half of last season he was one of our better players. Fell away in the second half, and had lost his shirt to Doyle by the end.

I’m not sure even Oli’s Mum will have expected him to play so many minutes as he has this season. He’d have been fine as backup and 5-6 starts across the season and Cup games, but unfortunately for us he’s played more often than not, and he’s not up to it in the Prem anymore.

Bizarre, as even for the first half of last season he was one of our better players. Fell away in the second half, and had lost his shirt to Doyle by the end.

I’m not sure even Oli’s Mum will have expected him to play so many minutes as he has this season. He’d have been fine as backup and 5-6 starts across the season and Cup games, but unfortunately for us he’s played more often than not, and he’s not up to it in the Prem anymore.
Errrrm…praps not the Cup games…

… Well, let me tell you 'bout the way he looked
The way he'd act and the colour of his hair
His voice was soft and cool
His eyes were clear and bright

But he's not there

Unlike the GoalWatch-posts, this one is not looking at why we conceded the five goals. I wanted to look at what Oliver Norwood's involvements was prior to the goals. In his position, a holding, defensive midfielder I wanted to look at what protection he offers to the defence. So - there are other things going wrong too, but this post is not about them.

1st: Dribbled past by Buonanotte, who then fires a brilliant long shot into the goal.

1706379008837.jpeg

2nd: In a good position to protect the defence, but doesn't track the meeting Pedro. This forces Anel to break out of defence and do it. Pedro's clever touch takes him past AA and Bogle, with the latter conceding a penalty.
1706377084627.jpeg

3rd: Rather than closing down the man on the ball, Norwood decides to hold his position, focusing on Gross inside. This forces Trusty out of the backline. We never regain control of our lines. Brighton pass it about a bit and their cross is eventually handballed by Bogle in the box.

1706377290744.jpeg

4th: Standoffish again, as van Hecke has time and space to pick out Pedro centrally. He shoots before anyone can get a challenge in.

1706378671768.jpeg

5th: Brooks can only flick on a Brighton clearance, but Norwood looks favourite to deal with it. But his lack of pace shows as even throwing himself into a desperate tackle can neither get the ball nor hinder Welbeck who races clear:

1706377908809.jpeg

Opinion:

Our defenders are not world class. If they are not given good protection by a super fit and strong midfield, they are going to find themselves in situations where they are pulled out of position and not able to get vital challenges in. Picking Norwood in that position against the flair, the movement, the pace of the PL players is not fair on Norwood, and not fair on the defenders behind him. It is time to sort it out.

But he's not there

Unlike the GoalWatch-posts, this one is not looking at why we conceded the five goals. I wanted to look at what Oliver Norwood's involvements was prior to the goals. In his position, a holding, defensive midfielder I wanted to look at what protection he offers to the defence. So - there are other things going wrong too, but this post is not about them.

1st: Dribbled past by Buonanotte, who then fires a brilliant long shot into the goal.

View attachment 178182

2nd: In a good position to protect the defence, but doesn't track the meeting Pedro. This forces Anel to break out of defence and do it. Pedro's clever touch takes him past AA and Bogle, with the latter conceding a penalty.
View attachment 178176

3rd: Rather than closing down the man on the ball, Norwood decides to hold his position, focusing on Gross inside. This forces Trusty out of the backline. We never regain control of our lines. Brighton pass it about a bit and their cross is eventually handballed by Bogle in the box.

View attachment 178177

4th: Standoffish again, as van Hecke has time and space to pick out Pedro centrally. He shoots before anyone can get a challenge in.

View attachment 178181

5th: Brooks can only flick on a Brighton clearance, but Norwood looks favourite to deal with it. But his lack of pace shows as even throwing himself into a desperate tackle can neither get the ball nor hinder Welbeck who races clear:

View attachment 178180

Opinion:

Our defenders are not world class. If they are not given good protection by a super fit and strong midfield, they are going to find themselves in situations where they are pulled out of position and not able to get vital challenges in. Picking Norwood in that position against the flair, the movement, the pace of the PL players is not fair on Norwood, and not fair on the defenders behind him. It is time to sort it out.
Agree 100% just what we were saying after the first second and third goal

The game was up when I saw the starting eleven. The result (Bogle brain farts aside) was no surprise to anyone who has a footballing brain and has seen this over and over again. Luckily, I think this will be the nail in Norwoods Blades playing coffin and I don't see him playing for us much now this season. Unlike Hecky who would want to keep the gang together again, Wilder will be ruthless in the summer and ship out the dead wood. Not before time. I like Norwood, but then I like my old man and I don't want him playing for United in the middle of the park either.

But he's not there

View attachment 178182

View attachment 178176

View attachment 178177

View attachment 178181

View attachment 178180

Opinion:

At this level, and mostly at the level below, in this key central position on the pitch, you HAVE to be :-

Mobile
Strong
Quick in mind and feet.

2 out of 3 might get away with it somewhat.

0 out of 3, categorically, will not !

It’s time.

UTB

Someone like Arblaster, perhaps.
My only worry is what I noticed when he was taking part in the warm up the other week - he is noticeably smaller and lighter than Osborn. Not seen him play yet so it’s a somewhat rash and premature take from me - but I worry he will need to be truly superb in other respects of his game to bridge the athleticism gap of his small stature.

My only worry is what I noticed when he was taking part in the warm up the other week - he is noticeably smaller and lighter than Osborn. Not seen him play yet so it’s a somewhat rash and premature take from me - but I worry he will need to be truly superb in other respects of his game to bridge the athleticism gap of his small stature.
He’s the same height as Ben Osborn but with a much more athletic physique.

Watched Norwood on MOTD after seeing Bergen Blade screenshots he was the cause of a lot of our poor defending our centre backs being pulled out of position because he was as much use as a traffic cone. If Wilder didn't know it then he does now we can't be playing Norwood at this level, not sure about the next level down either.

Back
Top Bottom