Norway Boss on Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We've never stood in his way to leave. I would probably agree that he should leave to save his career, we supposedly signed a European wonderkid yet we've never seen the wonder. If he really is this amazing talent we really arent helping him surely.

I like him but hes never been special for his price tag, Fleck has done more for us than Berge has. He's either never been as good as people say or we really are hindering him somehow.

I don't think my nationality is relevant. Objectivity is a big deal for me. The reason why I think that midfield is sub-optimal is the players' complementary attributes. I think Doyle and Norwood are a bit too similar, and the difference when Doyle has been asked to playmake from deep (compared to more attacking roles) is huge IMO. We have a 43% win percentage when both of them starts, compared to 66% when both do not start. Doyle, Norwood and McAtee as a trio have started two league games, the 1-3 defeat at Stoke and the 3-3 home draw against Blackpool. I try to never write off players and combinations, but this shows that Hecky may have reservations about them three as well. For the record, I have loads of reservations about Berge as a player too and have mentioned them several times.

But being able to read Norwegian is a relevant skill when it comes to assessing the quote from Solbakken. There have been English versions of that original article, which have changed the quote with the intended or unintended effect that United fans have been angered.
I did say ‘if’ you were offended!

As a matter of interest, what was he actually asked to bring this up?

Can’t imagine without prompting he thought “right, first thing on the agenda let me talk about what Sander should do with his future. After all, his club side really appreciated it when I did it before!”

I actually watched the game and he was one of the better players. He didn't look out of place at all amongst the Spanish players and Norway were on top for long periods before he was subbed and they fell apart.

Lundstram mk2 jesus christ 😂 it's time to take the Nick Montgomery poster down son
Only going off a press release.

I did say ‘if’ you were offended!

As a matter of interest, what was he actually asked to bring this up?

Can’t imagine without prompting he thought “right, first thing on the agenda let me talk about what Sander should do with his future. After all, his club side really appreciated it when I did it before!”
He gets the same press conference questions from journalists regarding players who are not regulars or who do not play in fashionable leagues. As we've got two top class players now in Ødegaard and Haaland, there is concern that Norway will still miss out on major tournaments if the rest of the team isn't up to it.

I remember thinking it was strange in the 80s that Wales didn't do better with the likes of Southall, Radcliffe, Hodges(!), Hughes and Rush. I did an interview with Glyn Hodges (by mail) once and asked him about it. He answered that to have a really strong side you needed top class players in every position. Anyway, in Norway there's a lot of focus on players making the most of their talent and having as good career as they possibly can - in the hope that this will make the national team stronger.

People speak of a golden generation, but our goalkeeper hasn't played regularly for years. One centre half is a 32 year old with a journey man career behind him, now back at Vålerenga. He was the one getting outpaced for Georgia's equaliser. The other centre half is on the bench at Napoli. The left back is in and out of the side at Rennes. Midfielder Patrick Berg didn't succeed at Lens and has returned to Bodø/Glimt. Elyounussi at Southampton seems to be slowly regressing. No goals this season. Haaland was obviously unavailable. Haaland is very good at what he does, but he does need service. It was hoped Berge would be one of the players to contribute, but he's not developed as hoped and is not a first choice anymore.

In the Norwegian media there are always comparisons with Denmark and Sweden. Compared to them we've been losers for almost a quarter of a century. While they've qualified for major tournaments regularly we've missed out every time since 2000. It is thought that this losing culture is hard to fix, for any manager.

Sander is a conundrum.... First manager and/or coach to solve it probably gets an elite lvl player.... But let's face it... Several managers have tried it but none have succeeded so far. I don't know why... Maybe it's a mentality thing... Maybe it's a formation thing... All I do know is it's massively frustrating...

As others have said, he’d surely be much , much better advised getting his own house in order. Norway have won 1 of their last 6 matches which includes failing to overcome international heavyweights such as Georgia and Finland.

As football managers go, this clown is Z List. Never mind Berge needing a move to fulfil his potential, Norway need to get a new manager to do the same.

There's no guarantee Berge would be a first-team regular if he left us for a "bigger" team. So which is better for Norway: 10-15 minute cameos for a middling PL team or playing regularly at the sharp end of the championship?
Norway appear to have 2 world class players in Haaland & Odegaard. - Similar to Wales with Bale & Ramsey, but Wales have achieved much more of late.

For those interested. Basically suggesting Sander should leave us and ply his trade elsewhere.

Me thinks he should wind his neck in and keep his opinions on the matter to himself.
Ahhh, all gone a bit Stale hasn't it Solba?

Owned in your own back garden by erm, ahem, errer, Scotland 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Keep thi Norse outta our business mi old mukka 😂

Well done Scotland btw 👏

That's a fair comment, but to be fair to Stale Bread, if Sander Berge played for a PL team last season target than shit United, he would be have ripped Scotland a new one today. Obviously.

Man's a very poor football manager looking for excuses for consistent poor performance from his side. Maybe the issue lies a little closer to home for Stale Bread.

Bergen Blade What's the view on the manager in Norway? From the outside looking in it seems he's making a right pigs ear of a pretty talented squad
Disappointing today. It looked like we were going to win, but then gifted two quick goals. Solbakken will get criticism because he made certain substitutions after us going in front.

Our squad is overrated though, lots of players who are usually spending their time on the bench at club level.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Berge is very overrated. He's a good player, sure. But he's lower half premier league at best. I mean he's hardly set the Championship on fire.

He's a solid, mid to bottom table plodder.
Lol our fan base do love a pantomime villain tbf, once you get on the wrong side it’s very hard to get back lol

I mean yes, you should want your players playing at a higher level if they are playing lower league level, yes it’s fine to question the position he is playing and if he is being played correctly, we don’t need to get worked up by it lol

And yes if you go public and you aren’t doing well yourself you are going to get pelters for it from those you annoyed, it’s what happens when you go public

Personally I would like to see Sander and the terminator at a big event like the Euros so whilst they still have a slim chance good luck to them ( I would also like to see the tartan army get there as well )

Tbh, even with a good will and red&white glasses I haven't seen anything that would scream 20M value on Berge.
People have been saying here that he is Rolls Royce etc, but he hasn't done much to prove it.

He is erratic (if that's right word) with his actions/form and if there would be decision to sell him or keep him this summer - his last year of contract - it would be harder to keep him than sell him (for me). The assets we are mostly relying this season needs to be solid and reliable workers.

We will find out how good Berge is this next season. He's got every incentive to play well as his future earnings depend on it.

Tbh, even with a good will and red&white glasses I haven't seen anything that would scream 20M value on Berge.
People have been saying here that he is Rolls Royce etc, but he hasn't done much to prove it.

He is erratic (if that's right word) with his actions/form and if there would be decision to sell him or keep him this summer - his last year of contract - it would be harder to keep him than sell him (for me). The assets we are mostly relying this season needs to be solid and reliable workers.
Not sure being likened to a Rolls Royce is a compliment really.

A car famous for being stupidly expensive, a cost not merited given its average performance.

Although probably apt in Sander's case

Hi Stegosaurus here

Berge is very overrated. He's a good player, sure. But he's lower half premier league at best. I mean he's hardly set the Championship on fire.

He's a solid, mid to bottom table plodder.
If he is a lower half Premier League player then that's fine by me. Let's hope we can get other players of a similar standard for next season.

Back
Top Bottom