CONFIRMED Nigel Adkins is announced as new Sheffield United Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I remember hearing Nigel when he was at Scunthorpe, way back then I thought he was a very clever articulate manager who sounded so different to many numpty 'football' type mangers.
He was clearly thinking and exploring new methods and ways to get an advantage.
I thought even then, he was one to watch.

Totally open to new ways of working.
Excited that he has recently gone around lots of other sports to try and learn new things from them.

After the fecking dinosaur he is JUST so refreshing.

I'd resigned myself that Clough was going to be here next season actually got my head round it that he would address his mistakes and move forward.
Having said that I didn't renew my season ticket I couldn't chance putting myself through that again every other week .
However with this appointment my brother and I are going down fo our season tickets this week.
It's a new dawn it's a new day and I'm feeling good as the song goes

I'd got it in my head that Clough would address the problems as they were so obvious. He must be able to put it right?
Again I thought we'd be moving forwards with a few signings and saw us going up with ease.

The debrief by the board put pay to all that.

Then again I was delighted when we got Wier and equally disappointed when we got Bassett.

Wrong both times, hope the fact that I now think we have landed the best we could proves to be right.

I Totally open to new ways of working.
Excited that he has recently gone around lots of other sports to try and learn new things from them.

Indeed, thought that was encouraging too. He strikes me as someone willing to adapt and innovate - rather than someone that has a fixed idea of how to do things that they rigidly stick to. That being said, I remember Blackwell banging on about the fact that in his unemployment he "went off to Brazil" to look at how they did things there...

Only negative I've really heard about Adkins from anyone has been from a Brighton-supporting mate of mine. Their fans have a bee in their bonnet over comments made when they both went up from League 1 - think he said something along the lines of Brighton having to play catch-up to them, which had the effect of inspiring Brighton on to win the title. Similar sort of reaction to Leicester City fans and Warnock, who said it wasn't right that they went into admin and kept all their premier league players back in 02/03.

Pleased with this. Plenty of potential, fingers crossed he delivers.

UTB.

Im happy with Adkins was hoping for deane as he'd done great for sarpsborg & for sentimentality.

Before I start as said in my intro I'll give any manager my backing but in 2 minds because on the postive Adkins did a great job at Scunthorpe undoubtedly promotion once is a miracle with there finances Nevermind twice & then back to back promotion to the premier league amazing achievement thats were my worries start as in L1 he had fonte lallana oxlaide Chamberlain lambert & Schneiderlin then reading were he was poor but I read a readings fans blog & he had sympathy for Adkins as forigen Russian owner left, leaving them in finialical problem having to sell some players to pay a tax bill. But way he talking about the defence sounded about as good as ours.

Unfortunately Weir talked a good talk and had the right "speak" , here's hoping Nigel can walk the walk for us as well. UTB
Agree CB,
Proof of the pudding and all that.
But at least he has shown he has walked the walk several times, with others.

fk it bed time

probably wake up tomoz to find Adkins as fked us off an all
I shall be very pleased if it is Adkins, he always struck me as one of footballs good guys. I know people might argue that you need to have a nasty streak, have a presence etc. to command respect of your team but I believe that to be bollocks.

Also, given his career before Football management, we might get 5 games out of James Wallace and Terry Kennedy!!
Saw this on twitter, which I liked:

Nigel Adkins at Sheff Utd=good appointment and likely promotion.
Steve MacLaren at Newcastle= certain relegation and the demise of a top club
Happy days.
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
Well pleased with this appointment :D
Great appointment
Ok I'll say again... Well done jim and co great appointment.

Roll on next season.

right.... Next thread and repeat ;)
Great news
Very pleased with this. As I've already said, he is the stand-out candidate that has escaped this league where the expectation and pressure has been enormous.

I said my reaction to the Clough sacking at the time, which I hadn't called for, would be determined by his replacement. With this appointment, I think it looks like a brilliant decision.
I think the vast majority of Blades will be happy with this appointment. The board have done what we all wanted, a heavyweight manager who could have held out for a job in the Championship at least.

I assume he is on board because SUFC directors have confirmed he will be backed with sufficient funds to get us the players we need to accelerate our departure from league one, and beyond.

This was NOT the cheap option, this is the serious option.

This is the new Sheffield United.

UTB.
Aaaawesooomme vid! I recognise Robert Downey Jr., but what's the guy from 'Cars that Rock' doing in there? :D
Brilliant news. Best realistic available manager and most exciting appointment since Kendall.
Absolutely brilliant appointment. Can't wait for him to sort our squad out.
giphy.gif

GET IN! Well done Blades!
So, as underwhelmed as I was when Clough was appointed, I should put on record how overwhelmed I am by this one.

I think Adkins was a country mile in front of the other contenders, relatively speaking.

Well done all at Sheffield United with this one. At last, a manager we can and should have some real faith in.

I'm going to get drunk tonight.

:)

UTB
I could see us becoming a mid table premier league side in the near future under Mr Adkins to be honest. Best managerial choice in a while.
In Nigel we trust........
A great appointment.

Could we really have got anyone else with a better track record of getting out of League 1?

Not only that but he also knows the Championship very well.

Like someone else has said. The best appointment since Kendall.
Sorry, just a few reminders of how delighted we were with Nigel Adkins appointment 5 years ago tomorrow, including myself 😭

I can’t find the thread now, but I said from day one that Adkins was a bullshitter and we should appoint Chris Wilder instead 😉

Cheers for that Blade56 😊

Tbf he brought in Sharp and started playing 3-5-2... I knew he was laying the foundations for Wilder. 😂

And by roll on next season I meant the following one obviously .... 😂

Literally just had to rush to the bog with a bucket!!!
Luckily I remember that Wilder is the Lord of Bramall Lane, and would never let that happen again!!!

He lives near me in Hampshire. I know the pub he goes in. What questions would you want to ask him if you could?
I have often thought of going up to him and saying "Thanks for signing Billy Sharp, he might not have come otherwise. It was not all your fault. There was a lot of baggage from previous managers.
But Conor Sammon? Dean Hammond? And why couldn't you see what Blades fans always wanted. A bit of steel, hard work with skill. Not passing out of the back with has been players".

But Conor Sammon? Dean Hammond?

No need to ask him about Sammon – often forgotten, but his transfer was seemingly agreed in advance of his appointment and inherited by Adkins. He’s mentioned that before. Another member of the direct pipeline we had with Derby at the time for any available player. The retained list was also handled by Clough before he was sacked.

No excuses for Hammond though, that was all on Adkins.

He lives near me in Hampshire. I know the pub he goes in. What questions would you want to ask him if you could?
I have often thought of going up to him and saying "Thanks for signing Billy Sharp, he might not have come otherwise. It was not all your fault. There was a lot of baggage from previous managers.
But Conor Sammon? Dean Hammond? And why couldn't you see what Blades fans always wanted. A bit of steel, hard work with skill. Not passing out of the back with has been players".
See according to experts Conor Sammon was Clough’s signing. Despite not being our manager at the time...

See according to experts Conor Sammon was Clough’s signing. Despite not being our manager at the time...

“I went in there believing there had to be change and believing that I had time. I had a three-year contract. There was 50 players and we turned it all around. I believe I was the only manager in the January window not to sign a player, we sold everyone. I signed one player in Billy Sharp and the rest were on loan. There was a couple already lined up and they came in.

“I went in there believing there had to be change and believing that I had time. I had a three-year contract. There was 50 players and we turned it all around. I believe I was the only manager in the January window not to sign a player, we sold everyone. I signed one player in Billy Sharp and the rest were on loan. There was a couple already lined up and they came in.

Well if that’s true it was the board’s decision, not a bloke who had previously been sacked.

Well if that’s true it was the board’s decision, not a bloke who had previously been sacked.

Of course. I’m sure his former manager, who had a habit of signing players from Derby in his 18 months in the job, had absolutely nothing to do with the deal.

His previous interest in signing Sammon for us was also an absolute coincidence.

I do wonder about those comments. For a start, why did he think he had time? It should have been obvious to any manager that the expectations from both the club and the supporters was promotion. Why did he think Clough was sacked? Having time, to me, means if we’d have made a serious challenge and just missed out, he’d get another go. It doesn’t mean it’s fine to finish mid table after a series of insipid performances.
We’re Sheffield United, not Scunthorpe, we’re not supposed to be in L1. Does he really expect us to believe that KM and PA told him they were happy losing £5m a year and just take as much time as you want?

We didn’t sell everyone. Not even close. We sold Murphy, late in the season, which wasn’t helpful to him. Saying we sold everyone is a ridiculous exaggeration.

Who was the other signing in addition to Sammon? Were these deals actually done and dusted or did he have the opportunity to say ‘not for me, cancel them’?

He signed Hammond ‘on loan’ but with a contract to buy and he made sure that the terms that triggered the buying were met. Costing the club a huge amount of money for a player that was as useful as a wind chime under water. I understand the board were so annoyed at that they lost all faith in his judgement which is why he wasn’t allowed to sign anyone else permanently.

I accept it was a difficult job, he inherited a lot of players signed by Clough, several of whom had played for him before so obviously liked him and thought him capable. I suspect a lot didn’t think he deserved the sack and were demotivated by it. It also became apparent that his management style was very different to Clough and the players didn’t respond to it. And as a manager you have to be true to yourself, you can’t pretend you’re someone you’re not.

But his comments make me think he underestimated the task, that he thought we could walk in, chat about geese and everything would be OK. When it wasn’t, he lacked the skill set to address it.

What I’d like to ask someone, at the club who was around during that time, is how much harder did Wilder and his team work in the pre-season and the start of the season than Adkins and his team did? Because my gut feeling is that CWAK did a lot more, on the training ground, behind the scenes (assessing each player by watching DVDs of the previous season’s games, talking to permanent staff on the quiet etc) and at recruitment.

Of course. I’m sure his former manager, who had a habit of signing players from Derby in his 18 months in the job, had absolutely nothing to do with the deal.

His previous interest in signing Sammon for us was also an absolute coincidence.

Just pointing it out there Clough wasn’t manager, can’t be his signing. Board made the decision with nobody at the helm if Adkins insists he had no say (I doubt).

Just pointing it out there Clough wasn’t manager, can’t be his signing. Board made the decision with nobody at the helm if Adkins insists he had no say (I doubt).

That’s almost like saying that because Adkins had lined up a permanent contract for Hammond that Wilder and the club were unable to back out of, that Hammond was Wilder’s signing....

I do wonder about those comments. For a start, why did he think he had time? It should have been obvious to any manager that the expectations from both the club and the supporters was promotion. Why did he think Clough was sacked? Having time, to me, means if we’d have made a serious challenge and just missed out, he’d get another go. It doesn’t mean it’s fine to finish mid table after a series of insipid performances.

Yep, I think if he’d have finished 7th or 8th he’d have probably been kept on, which while I’d have been ok with at the time would obviously have been a huge mistake.

Adkins did do a bad job, but it was a bad job under difficult circumstances. A lot of the bubbling issues between the owners popped up over the course of his season (and Bettis hadn’t arrived till the New Year), he was obviously unable to significantly change the squad (not helped by the previous manager in my view), and one of his first acts as manager was to head to a hearing where one of his potentially important players was handed a drugs ban.

While Adkins failed, we can be thankful that:
  • Sharp was signed (I doubt he’d have returned otherwise)
  • he did some work during the season to cut some of the squad meaning the likes of Higdon & Alcock were gone (yes, albeit adding a couple of duds in the process)

That’s almost like saying that because Adkins had lined up a permanent contract for Hammond that Wilder and the club were unable to back out of, that Hammond was Wilder’s signing....
Firstly, it’s not like saying that. I never said it was definitely Adkins’ signing, I said it wasn’t solely down to Clough.
Secondly, totally different situation where the clause in Hammond‘s contract allowed him to make the final decision. Sammon didn’t play the season before and have a choice of whether he wanted to sign.

Firstly, it’s not like saying that. I never said it was definitely Adkins’ signing, I said it wasn’t solely down to Clough.
Secondly, totally different situation where the clause in Hammond‘s contract allowed him to make the final decision. Sammon didn’t play the season before and have a choice of whether he wanted to sign.

On the contrary, while accepting they aren’t exactly the same (which isn’t what I said) I do think there’s some similarity that you can draw. You seem to be suggesting it isn’t possible for deals to be arranged by managers ahead of them being publicly announced, when it’s not uncommon – though admittedly fairly rare that the details of that are spoken about publicly. Another example at United you might be familiar with would be Vas Borbokis, a player Kendall had agreed to sign but who didn’t join till a few week’s into Spackman’s time with us.

Back
Top Bottom