CONFIRMED Nigel Adkins is announced as new Sheffield United Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can we merge all the Robinson ones so we can work out all the money lost from forumites loading up on a sure thing?
I've lost 40 quid but i couldn't give two flying hoots as we have finally appointed someone with some pedigree to take us forward, plus it wasn't actually my money;) and i've told our lass it's maxstertheblade 's fault.:D I was betting mainly due to the odds available at the time plus it was someone who i thought might want to try his hand at a more high profile club, i now think Robinson has had more than his fair share of chances of managing us and will not get or shouldn't get another chance to manage our great club. Can you tell i've gone off him:)

The only ones i can see from reading a few things who are trying to question the appointment are the ones who wanted Clough to stay, now if anyone doesn't think this is good all round for us and doesn't show our ambition then the quacks are just around the corner. It's the joint best appointment we could have made considering the applicants available who was realistically available to a league one giant, joint alongside Robinson for me, i'd have been very happy with either.

Well done to the board and after speaking to a few people tonight there will be some more season tickets getting purchased pretty sharply.

A great appointment.

Could we really have got anyone else with a better track record of getting out of League 1?

Not only that but he also knows the Championship very well.

Like someone else has said. The best appointment since Kendall.

Random fact:
Our new first team coach is a day younger than me. But I have more hair (I keep it in a box under the bed)....

Can't help but think that this appointment was more than a little bit pre meditated prior to Cloughs sacking.

Be gobsmacked if Adkins wasn't "approached" some weeks ago just in case !!

Anyway, good luck Nigel. I hope you don't need it !!

UTB
Been thinking the same myself but not just 'in case'. I think Adkins was approached at the end of the season and agreed last weekend which resulted in Cloughs sacking. Parkinson was a fall back and a smokescreen to cover the deal breakng down. That is the only sense I can see in the timing of Cloughs sacking. I hope this is how it panned out anyway ,not nice on Cloughy but its a cut throat business ,Im sure he was approached before Weir was sacked.

As said on another post it's a great appointment. I always measure my happiness with a managerial appointment on how envious I would be should the pigs appoint him and in this case I would be extremely envious. Well done to the board (for now!).

Been thinking the same myself but not just 'in case'. I think Adkins was approached at the end of the season and agreed last weekend which resulted in Cloughs sacking. Parkinson was a fall back and a smokescreen to cover the deal breakng down. That is the only sense I can see in the timing of Cloughs sacking. I hope this is how it panned out anyway ,not nice on Cloughy but its a cut throat business ,Im sure he was approached before Weir was sacked.

I don't. I think they got very lucky that Adkins agreed and we would have ended up with Parkinson (or worse) if he hadn't.

Adkins sounded convincing enough when he said he thought the call from Brannigan inviting him for an interview was a wind-up at first. Good acting if not true.

Both McCabe and Phipps said they had interviewed other outstanding candidates. Why bother with the charade if Adkins was already in place when Clough was sacked?

No, personally I think they did interview and enquire about a few others also and maybe took note of the groundswell of opinion in favour of Adkins.

It's a great appointment. He speaks really positively and seems undaunted by the task of getting us out of the division first time, even though quite a few have tried and failed before him.

We couldn't have appointed anyone more qualified. If he can't do it no one can.

As said on another post it's a great appointment. I always measure my happiness with a managerial appointment on how envious I would be should the pigs appoint him and in this case I would be extremely envious. Well done to the board (for now!).
Also Leeds get Rosler we get Adkins wonder what they think the dirty horrors!

It's a great appointment. He speaks really positively and seems undaunted by the task of getting us out of the division first time, even though quite a few have tried and failed before him.

We couldn't have appointed anyone more qualified. If he can't do it no one can.
Good post I didn't realise he has a degree in sports psychology! Wow this has to be the man to get hold of this great club by the scruff of the neck .

McCabe was like the cat that got the cream this afternoon - I think he knows he's finally got his man!

I thought it was interesting that he said he tried to get him in two seasons ago too, but he wasn't available then. About time he recognised a good manager when he saw one!

Interesting that in JP interview on Adkins, he says "If I could have done everything that needed to be done in the last four weeks in one day, I would have." Does this mean they had plans well before Clough was officially sacked?

Interesting that in JP interview on Adkins, he says "If I could have done everything that needed to be done in the last four weeks in one day, I would have." Does this mean they had plans well before Clough was officially sacked?
Yes also if you listen to the opening interview on football heaven which is the press conference interview Adkins spoke about the squad saying they have a good idea because we have been watching for the last five months then he quickly said a lot of football when speaking about what is needed listen again sorry don't know how to put original press conference link on this post .

McCabe was like the cat that got the cream this afternoon - I think he knows he's finally got his man!
I've been watching the mighty blades for 30 plus years and I don't think I've been this excited about a new manager ever. I did fear the worst last week though when we sacked clough feared it was going to be Parkinson so tf for that I'm delighted.!

I pray he finds his mojo he had at scunny and southampton
hes had a sabbatical
hes ready to rock and roll
2 back to back promotions repeated would make him someone special

AC/DC frontman that's where he makes his money, he went to the USA drove a tweaked Tom Petty Mustang and bought it there and then for $60,000 in one episode. :D the lucky bastard.

whoosh.png
:D

I've lost 40 quid but i couldn't give two flying hoots as we have finally appointed someone with some pedigree to take us forward, plus it wasn't actually my money;) and i've told our lass it's maxstertheblade 's fault.:D I was betting mainly due to the odds available at the time plus it was someone who i thought might want to try his hand at a more high profile club, i now think Robinson has had more than his fair share of chances of managing us and will not get or shouldn't get another chance to manage our great club. Can you tell i've gone off him:)

The only ones i can see from reading a few things who are trying to question the appointment are the ones who wanted Clough to stay, now if anyone doesn't think this is good all round for us and doesn't show our ambition then the quacks are just around the corner. It's the joint best appointment we could have made considering the applicants available who was realistically available to a league one giant, joint alongside Robinson for me, i'd have been very happy with either.

Well done to the board and after speaking to a few people tonight there will be some more season tickets getting purchased pretty sharply.
I'd resigned myself that Clough was going to be here next season actually got my head round it that he would address his mistakes and move forward.
Having said that I didn't renew my season ticket I couldn't chance putting myself through that again every other week .
However with this appointment my brother and I are going down fo our season tickets this week.
It's a new dawn it's a new day and I'm feeling good as the song goes

Great appointment. Also he will have learnt a lot from what happened at Reading. Onwards Upwards!!!

Back
Top Bottom