New training ground.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

New first team facilities?!? I'm sure that was mentioned by Wilder in a previous interview when we were promoted. I assumed at the time that it would have been an extension to shirecliffe rather than a new location altogether. Interesting if this does happen.

I thought this myself, obviously there’s the Sheffield FC sign up, I’ve never seen any articles in the star about it though.

There's an article about Saturdays upcoming 1935 Cup Final though, and an interview with Ellis Rimmer AND the bloke who drives the charabanc.

In a couple of years time our U21`s , will be playing the Pigs first team in the piss-pot cup , that would make its mark .🤭🤭🤭🤔🤔

That would be brilliant. Imagine how embarrassing it would be for them to rock up with their first team against our under 21’s 😂

You never know Prince and his people might be up Norton looking for a place to build a new Stadium 😉 There is certainly plenty of land up there and it is flat too, I cant see how there would be a problem with the land being toxic it was never really an airfield as it was the home for a RAF detention centre and housed 3 squadrons of barrage balloons in WW2. About the only thing there now is something for the NHS the site would be ideal for a training ground, I'm sure the locals could help with the flying rats problem with a suspicious hanger fire.

If the Prince is true to his word we won't be moving from BL

I'm sure he said as much in his statement after the court case with McCabe. He also added that we are looking to improve BL

It’s a shame we’ve never had a owner with the experience of building & property development, we could have had this up and running years ago!
“The new state-of-the-art training ground? It’s got the flu. There’s no truth at all that it’s going to be sold, even though it’s got a new pesky agent and it’s head has been turned and it fancies a move.”

“Thanks for the clarification Mr. McCabe.”

There's more about the aerodrome on Sheffield History. According to the posts there, the land was transferred over to the NHS at one point and hasn't been built on because some of it was classed as greenbelt.

There's more about the aerodrome on Sheffield History. According to the posts there, the land was transferred over to the NHS at one point and hasn't been built on because some of it was classed as greenbelt.

Red and white belt now.

as far as i know (lived very close as a kid ) the raf camp as we called it has supposed to have got bunkers and buildings underground where the VIP,s went during the war and was upgraded for any possible nuclear attacks during the cold war

This fits in with what I was told over Christmas and alluded to on the “11 years ago..” thread the other day. Wasn't told the location, but Norton seems a good shout.

From what I’ve heard, the academy is to be based at the new location, with the Shirecliffe complex revamped and tailored purely for the first team.

Ownership issues/appeals could always change things, but Abdullah and his team are doing exactly what he said; strengthening infrastructure. Pretty sure these plans will have helped persuade a certain someone to sign a new 4.5 year contract.

The site is absolutely huge I’d hazard a guess at the size of 16-18 football pitches, maybe more, nice and flat, easy access from a dual carriageway. It’s an ideal location and can’t see the land being too expensive in comparison to other areas of a similar size.
I do see a few problems though and even though I’ve got limited knowledge on the land a few people have put forward things like who owns it now, ministry of defence or the NHS. It doesn’t really matter which one owns it they’ll be reluctant to let it go I’d imagine. The next problem is as one poster said toxic land I can fully believe this maybe true and also like I pointed out in the original first post I’m led to believe nobody has bought the land due to the bats that live in the old hanger.

This is what we should be aiming for:

Burnley:

Swansea:

UTB

Swansea cost £10m I think in two phases - United could end up being anything up to £20m better off this season, the further up the league we go - just give it to CW for "his" vision...........and it's bye bye Wednesday.

UTB

I seem to remember it being used for a travelling fair in the 1960s. I know I went to a fair in Norton and that seems the likely location.

I attended ADI Driving Instructor course at Norton aerodrome in the mid 80's.

The fair used to be at the side of Norton Oakes cricket ground, opposite the water tower. I can't ever remember the aerodrome site being used for a fair but it did used to have an air show each year and I can still visualise the Vulcan bomber that came over at low altitude. Very exciting

If the Prince is true to his word we won't be moving from BL

I'm sure he said as much in his statement after the court case with McCabe. He also added that we are looking to improve BL

He also said we were looking at selling the training ground. Unfortunately a chunk of our fans seemed to take that the wrong way...

Presumably the situation with buying the assets means Abdullah can’t at the minute sell any asset. Though presumably there wouldn’t be a barrier to pressing ahead with what would be a separate asset, presumably club-owned and club-funded, then recouping some of the cash when the acquired existing training ground is sold.

If it’s anything like Meadowhead then it’ll be sat on a bed of clay. The pitches at the Transport ground are terrible for water logging as a result and takes an age to drain. Fair to say I’ve had many a wasted journey up there!
The Norton site is ideal though from a size perspective. Be interesting to see what they do with Shirecliffe - You’d have thought they’d be able to sell the land relatively easily for housing development but wouldn’t be surprised if they kept it for the first team (as above) or for the women’s sides.

I seem to remember it being used for a travelling fair in the 1960s. I know I went to a fair in Norton and that seems the likely location.

I think the fair used to be in Oakes park which is very close by. It’s right across from the Norton watertower where the fair used to be.

If the Prince is true to his word we won't be moving from BL. He also added that we are looking to improve BL

Agree with this....I thought it was significant that regards BL he said the words “improve the facilities” and no mention about increasing the capacity.

The current young Chairman standing in the The Prince also states that Wilder has made it clear his number 1 priority is a serious upgrade to the training facilities. He also confirmed they have no intentions to relocate away from BL and he likes the intimate hostile atmosphere from having a smaller stadium. He said that after we’ve established ourselves then he thinks we’ll increase capacity by another 3 or 4,000 seats.

There are 2 issues that means it’s prudent to delay expanding the stadium. One is safe standing....the results are due to be published next year and many predict safe standing will be allowed by 2023, so a resigned Kop could incorporate safe standing.

Also England are bidding for the 2030 World Cup and would have a realistic chance of winning. Why pay the full costs of stadium expansion when grants will be available.

Back
Top Bottom