New training ground.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree with this....I thought it was significant that regards BL he said the words “improve the facilities” and no mention about increasing the capacity.

The current young Chairman standing in the The Prince also states that Wilder has made it clear his number 1 priority is a serious upgrade to the training facilities. He also confirmed they have no intentions to relocate away from BL and he likes the intimate hostile atmosphere from having a smaller stadium. He said that after we’ve established ourselves then he thinks we’ll increase capacity by another 3 or 4,000 seats.

There are 2 issues that means it’s prudent to delay expanding the stadium. One is safe standing....the results are due to be published next year and many predict safe standing will be allowed by 2023, so a resigned Kop could incorporate safe standing.

Also England are bidding for the 2030 World Cup and would have a realistic chance of winning. Why pay the full costs of stadium expansion when grants will be available.

I was led to believe after England’s last failed bid (also our failed bid against the pigs) that the rust bucket was picked over us due to issues with all the media and satellite vans not being able to get anywhere around the ground and the rust bucket was ideal with the park across the road.

I was led to believe after England’s last failed bid (also our failed bid against the pigs) that the rust bucket was picked over us due to issues with all the media and satellite vans not being able to get anywhere around the ground and the rust bucket was ideal with the park across the road.
There was that, the tram access and the insistence on having a “fan zone” area which obviously Hillsborough park could also provide.

The fair used to be at the side of Norton Oakes cricket ground, opposite the water tower. I can't ever remember the aerodrome site being used for a fair but it did used to have an air show each year and I can still visualise the Vulcan bomber that came over at low altitude. Very exciting
Bagshaws land, baggies land as we used to call it in the 60's and you are right Ed there was always a fair there in the summer, as kids when leaving Gleadless Valley school on the way home we would push each other in going over the wall if you had the nerve because colonel bagshawe had a blunderbus and would shoot at us, hard as fuck we were. 😎

Reading are a elite academy but had to move to stay at that level. Cost them £50 million all in.

the results are due to be published next year and many predict safe standing will be allowed by 2023, so a resigned Kop could incorporate safe standing.

Likely much sooner. The result of the consultation was published in the autumn, all 3 main UK parties committed to the change in their election manifestos, and the Sports Minister has said the government will outline its plans for this soon.

There's more about the aerodrome on Sheffield History. According to the posts there, the land was transferred over to the NHS at one point and hasn't been built on because some of it was classed as greenbelt.

Be reight, the desso will be green.

There's more about the aerodrome on Sheffield History. According to the posts there, the land was transferred over to the NHS at one point and hasn't been built on because some of it was classed as greenbelt.

It was run by Sheffield Area Health Authority (Teaching) Southern District.

Under the name of Lightwood House.

I went for an interview there - July 4th 1977. Received a 'regret you haven't got the job' letter on July 8th 1977.

BTW I used to love going to that fair on Oakes Park.

There was that, the tram access and the insistence on having a “fan zone” area which obviously Hillsborough park could also provide.
FIFA's criteria for this has changed ,they now apparently have to have the surrounding area around the ground which means most English stadiums would not be suitable
Including anfield,old Trafford us and the pigs

This is what we should be aiming for:

Burnley:

Swansea:

UTB

Swansea cost £10m I think in two phases - United could end up being anything up to £20m better off this season, the further up the league we go - just give it to CW for "his" vision...........and it's bye bye Wednesday.

UTB

Both of them are impressive but there’s no reason why we can’t surpass both of them.

I believe the rules regards stadia requirements change every now and then.

Was told that hardly any stadium in the UK would now be suitable for a WC because they need to have controlled exclusion zones around the stadium and organised fan parks. In recent world cups most stadia has been built on the outskirts away from the public.

Was funny as they ignored the fact our ground is within walking distance of all major transport hubs, the city centre (with plenty of places for fan zones) and 90% of the city's hotels.

Was funny as they ignored the fact our ground is within walking distance of all major transport hubs, the city centre (with plenty of places for fan zones) and 90% of the city's hotels.

Thats why they chose Hillsborough, so that the spread of supporters would be across the city rather than in one location as in the Lane / City Centre.

Bagshaws land, baggies land as we used to call it in the 60's and you are right Ed there was always a fair there in the summer, as kids when leaving Gleadless Valley school on the way home we would push each other in going over the wall if you had the nerve because colonel bagshawe had a blunderbus and would shoot at us, hard as fuck we were. 😎
I thought that the majority of lads in Gleadless Valley only moved there to get away from us wrong uns at Hurlfield Sec BB? 😁😉

He also said we were looking at selling the training ground. Unfortunately a chunk of our fans seemed to take that the wrong way...

Presumably the situation with buying the assets means Abdullah can’t at the minute sell any asset. Though presumably there wouldn’t be a barrier to pressing ahead with what would be a separate asset, presumably club-owned and club-funded, then recouping some of the cash when the acquired existing training ground is sold.
It's very much the latest trend to have the academy and the first team close so there's a real interaction between the two and a clear "one club" mentality, so selling Shirecliffe would make sense. Personally I like the idea of the kids bumping into the first team occasionally, can you imagine that?
Obviously if the new site isn't big enough to house everything we need then sure we need to keep both, but if we don't then we don't need to do it just for the sake of it. We've moved on.

It's very much the latest trend to have the academy and the first team close so there's a real interaction between the two and a clear "one club" mentality, so selling Shirecliffe would make sense. Personally I like the idea of the kids bumping into the first team occasionally, can you imagine that?
Obviously if the new site isn't big enough to house everything we need then sure we need to keep both, but if we don't then we don't need to do it just for the sake of it. We've moved on.
If the rumours are true that it’s the Norton aerodrome site then it’s big enough to house Shirecliffe about 3 times

I thought that the majority of lads in Gleadless Valley only moved there to get away from us wrong uns at Hurlfield Sec BB? 😁😉
Nawty boys from Newfield Gray, Hurlfield always over rated, while playing local football we had training twice a week with two sports teachers, Martin was one the other was Pete Radford who played for Norton Woodseats, I ended up playing football and cricket with him some years later, may have been there when you attended?

That was Thornnber Bagshawe. Used to play cricket with his son, Tim, before we both went to Sheffield College of Art. Not sure if he had a blunderbus but I certainly remember on one occasion going up the little lane opposite the Bagshawe Arms with my mates when we heard a bang then a rattling sound as pellets hit the electricity pylon behind us. Needless to say we didn't hang about!!!

In the proposed norton site you can see a few pitches marked out in the bottom corner compare that to the Shirecliffe pitches

Attachments

• B9ED1DB2-2644-4E49-958A-19AE85B50860.png
    B9ED1DB2-2644-4E49-958A-19AE85B50860.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 980C5682-4381-40CC-AD3F-F0974C3945DE.jpeg
    980C5682-4381-40CC-AD3F-F0974C3945DE.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 123
That was Thornnber Bagshawe. Used to play cricket with his son, Tim, before we both went to Sheffield College of Art. Not sure if he had a blunderbus but I certainly remember on one occasion going up the little lane opposite the Bagshawe Arms with my mates when we heard a bang then a rattling sound as pellets hit the electricity pylon behind us. Needless to say we didn't hang about!!!
It was a story going around at the time regarding the blunderbus true or not but it certainly scared the shit out of us when we dared to creep over and onto his land and of course someone would shout "Baggies here"! ran like hell and when we got back over the wall all talked it up and laughed out loud, we all thought it was naughty at the time, any kid reading it today would find it boring

FIFA's criteria for this has changed ,they now apparently have to have the surrounding area around the ground which means most English stadiums would not be suitable
Including anfield,old Trafford us and the pigs
Any world cup bid won't involve either of us now anyway, as it'll be a GB or even more likely GB&I bid.
If you look at the most recent World cups you're looking at 12-13 stadia max so there will not be room for a Sheffield location.

If there's say 5 from Scotland, Ireland and Wales, obviously at least 2 from London, 2 North West, 2 North East, that leaves only 2 grounds left.
Purely from a geographical point of view you'd think the Midlands with Villa Park, the King Power, or Molineux, would be preferable.
Even if Yorkshire was an area where they wanted a base, you could safely assume Elland Road would be far ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:
Any world cup bid won't involve either of us now anyway, as it'll be a GB or even more likely GB&I bid.
If you look at the most recent World cups you're looking at 12-13 stadia max so there will not be room for a Sheffield location.

If there's say 5 from Scotland, Ireland and Wales, obviously at least 2 from London, 2 North West, 2 North East, that leaves only 2 grounds left.
Purely from a geographical point of view you'd think the Midlands with Villa Park, the King Power, or Molineux, would be preferable.
Even if Yorkshire was an area where they wanted a base, you could safely assume Elland Road would be far ahead of ourselves.

I doubt you'd get a GB&I bid. Possibly a UK bid but more likely England and Wales. Russia 2018 used 16 stadia and the plan is to move from 32 to 48 teams from 2026 onwards so I'd say 16 is a minimum.. I've based the below on the failed bid for the 2018 tournament.

London:
Wembley
The Taxpayers' Olympic Bowl
White Hart Lane

Wales:
Millennium Stadium

South West
Ashton Gate
Plymouth's Home Park

South East
Amex

Midlands:
Villa Park
City Ground
MK Dons

North West
Anfield
Old Trafford
Etihad

Yorkshire/North East
St James' Park
Elland Road
Sheffield x1

A Sheffield ground would be in the bid for the "birthplace of football" story alone. We all know it will be Hillsborough despite overwhelming evidence that it should be the Lane.

Back
Top Bottom