New: Sam Matterface on Sheffield United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good interview that YorkBlade very interesting and a bit different.

Who's next on the non Blade list? I'd be interested to hear from a referee.

Good interview that YorkBlade very interesting and a bit different.

Who's next on the non Blade list? I'd be interested to hear from a referee.
Just in case SUW don’t secure one, this with Kevin Lynch is still my favourite. Especially the Panathinaikos story 36m55-40m22 though all of it is funny, interesting and well worth a watch.

And yes, I know he’s a Wendy.

I listened and I don't recognise his voice, most of the time when I'm watching at home I have the sound muted and some music on so it might be due to this.

I see from this thread that not a lot of people like him, seems ok. I quite liked the explanation about why he 'dumbs down' England matches, I think it was a roundabout way of saying 'England fans are thick' but he got away with it ;)

Just in case SUW don’t secure one, this with Kevin Lynch is still my favourite. Especially the Panathinaikos story 36m55-40m22 though all of it is funny, interesting and well worth a watch.

And yes, I know he’s a Wendy.
I'd get that dick on from the other week who kept giving Swansea the ball back and ask him why he's a dick.

It's a great coup for you and your podcast as he's a big name, so congrats. But I can't bring myself to listen to the smug, self-absorbed cretin sorry.

For me, I cannot abide him. One of, if not the worst commentators to listen to. Constantly trying to insert funny quips and phrases into his commentary which just do not land. His mispronunciation of N'deer, and DeBrunnnner are just unforgivable and unprofessional, and the fact that ITV decided to promote him to main commentator in place of Tyldesley is beyond baffling.

So glad we didn't get him and Dixon for the Blackburn game. Is he doing the Man City game?
Sounds to me like you do want to listen. We talked about Ndiaye and that won't be happening again. He also shares if he's doing the Semi vs Man City.

Looking at the last 6 games we have an average of 2 points per game with boro averaging 2.16. If we both carry on with this form we will get another 18 points with boro getting another 17.28. So lets round boro up to 18 points. Puts us on 87 points and boro on 85 points. I think we will do it, but it will be tight.

Looking at the last 6 games we have an average of 2 points per game with boro averaging 2.16. If we both carry on with this form we will get another 18 points with boro getting another 17.28. So lets round boro up to 18 points. Puts us on 87 points and boro on 85 points. I think we will do it, but it will be tight.
sorry wring post

Just listened and he seems alright to me.
I do find his more Partridge moments a bit cringey, but then I also find Tyldesley cringey so he seems to fit the ITV brand just fine.
The criticism of him seems to be born of the twitter era where everyone's quick to criticise, over exaggerate and over emphasise their opinions. A throw away comment in a 90min commentary will be clipped, shared and over analysed.
I watch the major international tournaments with a group of mates who normally couldn't give two hoots about football, so he's correct in saying that he needs to cater to the casual fan as well as the seasoned footy viewer (as much as it might frustrate at times).
He was very complimentary towards Bramall Lane at the end so he'll do for me.

His wife went to Uni in Sheffield but the reason I wanted to speak to him was a) the opportunity came up through a mutual friend b) you don't often hear from commentators away from commentary c) He keeps getting Iliman Ndiaye's name wrong and I wanted to change that d) He seems to get a huge amount of grief online - I never like that and wanted to find out how he deals with it and what he was actually like as a person.

It's a bit of a take it or leave it interview but hopefully some will find it interesting.
Well done Hal for addressing his abysmal pronunciation.The least we hope for is getting a players name correct.
Not my favourite commentator but I'll give it a whirl.👍

Sounds to me like you do want to listen. We talked about Ndiaye and that won't be happening again. He also shares if he's doing the Semi vs Man City.
Hope ya didn't witness a semi during the interview 😜

I'll see what I can do. I know a few former pro referees.
I might get the boos for this, but…

Soapy tit wank or a proper interview though, Hal? Other slightly less-soft channels like Under the Cosh do seem to be able to get the juicy bits out of interviewees. There’s an intent and skill to get content out of them beyond just being nice. I worry a bit about (sometimes)yours and (always)Oli’s style in particular.

I suppose it’s a key decision/turning point. Please don’t turn into Loose Women, even though it gets the hits. Love yours and Nick’s style in the main. But wanking off guests just so you can get them on the show is…limiting…?🫤

Last edited:
I might get the boos for this, but…

Soapy tit wank or a proper interview though, Hal? Other slightly less-soft channels like Under the Cosh do seem to be able to get the juicy bits out of interviewees. There’s an intent and skill to get content out of them beyond just being nice. I worry a bit about (sometimes)yours and (always)Oli’s style in particular.

I suppose it’s a key decision/turning point. Please don’t turn into Loose Women, even though it gets the hits. Love yours and Nick’s style in the main. But wanking off guests just so you can get them on the show is…limiting…?🫤
They've had Hammond and Woolford on and addressed the difficulties they experienced during their time at United so it's not just a love-in

I’ve been less than complimentary before, so I should redress the balance:

Really enjoyed this, and well done for getting hold of him.

I
I'll see what I can do. I know a few former pro referees.
I also know a few former pros - I’ll send some round of you want ?

Offer stands whenever you want to take it up

His wife went to Uni in Sheffield but the reason I wanted to speak to him was a) the opportunity came up through a mutual friend b) you don't often hear from commentators away from commentary c) He keeps getting Iliman Ndiaye's name wrong and I wanted to change that d) He seems to get a huge amount of grief online - I never like that and wanted to find out how he deals with it and what he was actually like as a person.

It's a bit of a take it or leave it interview but hopefully some will find it interesting.
I thought it was very good - it’s easy to forget that the commentator is an actual person doing a job, and might have feelings. Obviously this isn’t true in the case of Lee Hendrie, Andy Hinchliffe and Don Goodman, who are abusing their position as “experts” as a soapbox to vent anti-Blades vitriol. Or Jonathan Pearce who is simply cretinous.

Back
Top Bottom