National anthem?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Did I miss it? Or did they not have one?

I know obviously their fans were objecting because of the relevance to English football, but a tad disrespectful If they didn’t do it on that basis.

Minutes silence before game was shown great respect by the Swans crowd. Absolute silence. Well done .

And so they should….. she was their queen as well?

Welsh athletes collect medals to the ‘British’ national anthem, so why does it suddenly have to be disassociated and made solely the ‘English’ national anthem in football?

And so they should….. she was their queen as well?

Welsh athletes collect medals to the ‘British’ national anthem, so why does it suddenly have to be disassociated and made solely the ‘English’ national anthem in football?

Unless I’m missing something you seem to be arguing with yourself here?

If you take away the retired southern English tory population from Wales which is quite big or the odd military person, Wales is anti-monarchy. I dont see anything wrong with not putting the national anthem on, especially when it means nothing to Wales.

The Welsh are anti-monarchy mainly because the the royal family represents the pinnacle of classism which results in people like maggy thatcher not giving a shit about the working class and closing the mines, because they are above the working class and look down on us.

Also the prince of Wales title gets given to who is next in line to the throne, this was done to insult the Welsh when their prince was killed by king Edward and Wales was annexed. Our goverment is wanting to discuss the title being dropped because it literally highlights how Wales is a lesser part of Britain as it was annexed, hence nothing from Wales being on the British flag. Unlike the Scottish who married into the throne and asked to join the England in the fear of missing out colonisation.

To be honest being born in Wales to parents from Sheffield, I thought most people would be anti-monarchy being a proud traditional working class area. I understand an old lady died and she had family but beyond that she did nothing for me, if anything, massively inconvenienced me because I was meant to be at the game this weekend just been.

If you take away the retired southern English tory population from Wales which is quite big or the odd military person, Wales is anti-monarchy. I dont see anything wrong with not putting the national anthem on, especially when it means nothing to Wales.

The Welsh are anti-monarchy mainly because the the royal family represents the pinnacle of classism which results in people like maggy thatcher not giving a shit about the working class and closing the mines, because they are above the working class and look down on us.

Also the prince of Wales title gets given to who is next in line to the throne, this was done to insult the Welsh when their prince was killed by king Edward and Wales was annexed. Our goverment is wanting to discuss the title being dropped because it literally highlights how Wales is a lesser part of Britain as it was annexed, hence nothing from Wales being on the British flag. Unlike the Scottish who married into the throne and asked to join the England in the fear of missing out colonisation.

To be honest being born in Wales to parents from Sheffield, I thought most people would be anti-monarchy being a proud traditional working class area. I understand an old lady died and she had family but beyond that she did nothing for me, if anything, massively inconvenienced me because I was meant to be at the game this weekend just been.
Not all true, it wasn't done to insult the Welsh it was done because his son was born in Wales and the Prince usually resided in Wales until they became king.

I appreciate that’s your view point and thanks for sharing.

My view of the monarchy and the government (since you referred to that also without a clear distinction) is that they work in the best interests of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as a whole. I’m sure there are a great many areas where the people have gripes because they feel hard done to and that’s understood.

But the UK was and still is a powerful nation, globally thanks to how the country and the wider commonwealth has been run and represented, particularly in recent times since the Second World War.

As I say, you may not like that and we may not agree but that’s the view point I have.

Not all true, it wasn't done to insult the Welsh it was done because his son was born in Wales and the Prince usually resided in Wales until they became king.
I see what you mean but Welsh people take it as offensive even if it wasnt intended, and despite being born in Wales they were very much still an English monarchy, and I highly doubt they could speak the language and were a part of the culture and community.

The trouble with the Scotch and Welsh is they only want to be part of the UK when it suits them. I'd be happy enough if they both fucked off then England wouldn't have to subsidise the twats. A bit of independence would do them good they'd soon come running back for their free prescriptions and other benefits. There is a reason there are less people living in Scotland or Wales than Yorkshire any of them that want to make owt of their sad lives move to England.

Well
I appreciate that’s your view point and thanks for sharing.

My view of the monarchy and the government (since you referred to that also without a clear distinction) is that they work in the best interests of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as a whole. I’m sure there are a great many areas where the people have gripes because they feel hard done to and that’s understood.

But the UK was and still is a powerful nation, globally thanks to how the country and the wider commonwealth has been run and represented, particularly in recent times since the Second World War.

As I say, you may not like that and we may not agree but that’s the view point I have
Well put, were all blades at the end and thats what matters

You speaking for all of Wales there? That's three and a quarter million people from top to bottom. Big call for a diverse population of dialects, accents, attitudes and opinions, feller. I wouldn't dream of speaking on behalf of the five million living in Yorkshire, even though I am a Yorkshireman myself. I'd say there were some dissenters, and some approvers. Calling the consensus is a bit daft.

If you think the heavily subsidised, inefficient, uncompetitive and environmentally destructive coal mining industry was reduced just for class reasons you might need to realign that opinion. If you recall the seventies and the industrial turmoil energy caused and the gathering war of attrition to rid our reliance on a source that in these modern days would never be permitted then you might get some perspective. Mining was a massive employer, but it was riven with protectionism and unionisation and wouldn't move on in the face of modernity

Where exactly are you getting this narrative from?

So the national monarch, internationally revered and very much an integral part of our constitutional identity dies after seventy years on the throne, the longest reign ever and very much in your lifetime dies and there is universal sadness and mourning (with exceptions, of course) and you miss ninety minutes of football ... and it's an outrage?

Blimey.

pommpey

You speaking for all of Wales there? That's three and a quarter million people from top to bottom. Big call for a diverse population of dialects, accents, attitudes and opinions, feller. I wouldn't dream of speaking on behalf of the five million living in Yorkshire, even though I am a Yorkshireman myself. I'd say there were some dissenters, and some approvers. Calling the consensus is a bit daft.

If you think the heavily subsidised, inefficient, uncompetitive and environmentally destructive coal mining industry was reduced just for class reasons you might need to realign that opinion. If you recall the seventies and the industrial turmoil energy caused and the gathering war of attrition to rid our reliance on a source that in these modern days would never be permitted then you might get some perspective. Mining was a massive employer, but it was riven with protectionism and unionisation and wouldn't move on in the face of modernity

So the national monarch, internationally revered and very much an integral part of our constitutional identity dies after seventy years on the throne, the longest reign ever and very much in your lifetime dies and there is universal sadness and mourning (with exceptions, of course) and you miss ninety minutes of football ... and it's an outrage?

Blimey.

pommpey
I read Welshblade post very differently. He was giving his viewpoint as a Welshman and blade.

Everyone interprets things differently

The Welsh wanted a Prince who was born in Wales who spoke no English, so Edward made his infant son Prince. Top quality shithousing in my view.
The Welsh flag only dates from the 1950s, so isn't included on the Union Jack. The Union flag consists of the flags of Ireland, Scotland and England. Wales was considered an integral part of England by that time. I believe Wales has never been an independent country.

I see what you mean but Welsh people take it as offensive even if it wasnt intended, and despite being born in Wales they were very much still an English monarchy, and I highly doubt they could speak the language and were a part of the culture and community.
I know what you mean but I feel the slight anti monarchy from the Welsh and the Scots is as you say, their feeling its an English monarchy, I agree that many years ago it probably was but now?
I don't think so, wether people like or dislike the monarchy is OK but I don't think it should be about being Welsh or Scots or Irish, loads of English don't, me? I think I'm like most people I don't think I'm a royalist but I wouldn't want to see it abolished, we thrive on tradition and the royal family are generally admired around the world, as you say welshblade, UTB😊

The Welsh got pissed off because no monarch stepped foot in Wales during the 17th an 18th century it's only until Charles came about that the Queen sent him to study in a Welsh University and learn everything Welsh even becoming fleunt speaking. Anyway enough of the history unless it's blades history 👍 UTB

The Welsh wanted a Prince who was born in Wales who spoke no English, so Edward made his infant son Prince. Top quality shithousing in my view.
The Welsh flag only dates from the 1950s, so isn't included on the Union Jack. The Union flag consists of the flags of Ireland, Scotland and England. Wales was considered an integral part of England by that time. I believe Wales has never been an independent country.
It is top quality shit housing haha, geographically as what it is now, it hasn't, only for a few years but the north west was always indipendent until king Edward.

Blimey.

pommpey
You berate this chap for generalising the feelings of a nation, but then claim that Her Maj was 'internationally revered' which looks like a generalisation to me.

I'm sure she was revered in many countries by many people, but many couldn't give a flying fuck including 4 members of my unroyal household.

Don't get me wrong, RIP, genuinely, but the whole rancid lot wants tearing down.

Back
Top Bottom