Most classless thing you've seen at a match

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To, Hammer in peace, thanks mate it was a long time ago.. but I never forgot that! Btw the gentlemen concerned is 62 like me and still watching us Blades. Take care young man!!!

Think it hit the roof and dropped into the crowd, not aimed directly at the crowd.
Scum nonetheless. Seem to remember he got arrested and a short stint in the nick followed but could be wrong.

There were two fired. The first hit the roof. One hit the girl. She had a red mark on her forehead. Her and her Dad were on Calendar or Look North. As I said, he's a mate. Admitted the club were very decent, after his anger had calmed, when he was going to sue everybody and their mother.
It was fired from two rows behind us. One of the culprits from Eckington.

I’m not sure that’s entirely true TBH.

I sit in the south stand and remember the incident to this day. It definitely landed straight in the top tier of the BLS.
They fired 3. One straight over the stand, one onto the pitch and the third was a direct hit.

Went on the right end at Bradford but somehow managed to go in in the Bradford end of that big split side. Another question to ask my father why he allowed that to happen. Bad parenting

Can’t temember the ins and outs as was only 10 years old but somehow managed to get put in with the blades fans just before kick off. I assume we asked the cops if we could move.

Cant remember whether it was the first or second goal but I was stood right at the front and a bit of a surge came down on top of me. I’m ashamed to say that I played a bit on the injury and got treat by the first aid guy on the gravel at the side of the pitch for several minutes.

If that old fella is reading this (doubtful for a couple of reasons) then I’d just like to say sorry for wasting your time and apologies that it’s taken me 38 years to confess
Hi digs think you got the treatment that I needed but never got I was 14 went on the footy special with my bro in the crush outside , I think there were only about 4 turnstiles open and thousands of blades trying to get in the coppers on the horses were pushing everyone back to the wall one of the said horses stood on my foot never felt pain like it and could hardly walk so ended up stood right at the front holding on to the fence near the opening to the pitch all the game so you probably had to get past me to get to pitch side 😂

I was at the 5-5 Swindon game. Final whistle comes and I watch hundreds of Swindon fans invade the pitch cos they've made a PO final they'll go and lose (kind of classless in itself, but we've got plenty who've done the same) but the really classless thing is a dozen of them run to the uncovered away end and start trading punches. You've just won and your reaction isn't to celebrate it's to go and get a black eye off someone you dont know!

Hi digs think you got the treatment that I needed but never got I was 14 went on the footy special with my bro in the crush outside , I think there were only about 4 turnstiles open and thousands of blades trying to get in the coppers on the horses were pushing everyone back to the wall one of the said horses stood on my foot never felt pain like it and could hardly walk so ended up stood right at the front holding on to the fence near the opening to the pitch all the game so you probably had to get past me to get to pitch side 😂
It’s a small world😀

With reference to the crowding outside the turnstiles then maybe that’s why my dad made the decision to go in from the Bradford side. Thanks Dad👍

Your recollection mate is probably slightly better than mine if you were 4 years older but I do remember the goals clear as day

Alan Smith, anyone? He got a chorus of boos when playing at the lane for MK Dons.

It’s a small world😀

With reference to the crowding outside the turnstiles then maybe that’s why my dad made the decision to go in from the Bradford side. Thanks Dad👍

Your recollection mate is probably slightly better than mine if you were 4 years older but I do remember the goals clear as day
Yep I bet yr dad did it ,was a nightmare luckily because we ended up at the front we missed most of the missiles there was alsorts flying over bricks, rocks , darts ,snooker balls .
I'm not quite sure how I made it back to the train station my foot/leg was black n blue for weeks , worth it though ⚔

This has always stuck in my memory and adds to the reasons why I dislike Pigs so much. After having persuaded a turnstile operator to let me and my mate in for a few quid at the 1979 Boxing Day Derby. I was stood on their Kop near the front towards their North Stand. After the Pigs third goal went in a man and his little lad of about 6 years old in the North Stand decided to leave the ground. He was obviously a Blade and his little lad was decked out in red and white hat and scarf.

As he was walking down the steps Pigs started gesticulating at him and the whole section started singing Boxing Day Massacre. Some stood up in front of him singing in his face as he was leaving but he just carried on walking. His son was obviously badly affected by this and started crying. Any decent human being would have stopped at this point but Pigs started laughing at this and the chant got louder and louder as the Blade departed.

A number of Pigs around us on the Kop were all laughing when suddenly a group of 6 or 7 well built lads turned around and told them they would ram their fists down the throats of those who were laughing if they continued. These were a mixture of Blades and some decent Pigs who had gone to the game together obviously angry at what they had seen.

I've always wondered after all these years who that little lad was and whether he was able to return for Bobby Davison day and enjoy the humiliation we inflicted on them that night.
I was at that game in the north stand and agree this contributed to
It’s a small world😀

This is exactly what we did

I lived in Scarborough until my teens. In the mid 1980s Scarborough appointed someone called Neil Warnock as manager and there was a Kevin Blackwell in goal (fuck knows what happened to them?).

It was the job that made Warnock's name. He took a shitty, unfashionable, non-league, seaside club and took them into the Football league. During the conference season, aged 10, I started going to games with my school mates .

The first game Scarborough drew in the 4th Division was Wolves. We (me and three mates from our estate) got a lift to the ground from my mum. As we were driving to the ground she's sat in stationary traffic and a Wolves fan falls on her to the bonnet of her car, rights himself, then launches a full can of beer at the windscreen. As you can imagine, my mum in a car with four 11 years olds wasn't exactly impressed!

Somehow we managed to persuade her to let us go, and it was just fucking chaos. Absolute insanity. It's a game that's gone down in history and one you still see on every football history/hooligan compilation from that era.

There were fights breaking out all over the place going up to the ground. Wolves had apparently turned up to take the piss. The thing is, the McCain Stadium was bang in the middle of the roughest council estate in Scarborough (so bad they eventually knocked most of it down). I'm not saying they got a shock, but they certainly found willing opponents.

When we got into the gound it was even worse. Endless punching and missiles between fans near the away end, and clueless police randomly getting involved (with batons and dogs).

As the game kicked off the Wolves fans climbed on the away end stand, which was a small (typically non-league.. barely above head height) stand and they were jumping up and down on it. They absolutely trashed the stand. The place looked like a war-zone. Throughout all this there was constant fighting where the away end is fenced off between fans, and the police were trying to control a zone between them with batons and dogs.

Anyone who has watched any historic compilations is probably way ahead of me here, but some of their "braver" (more pissed up) fans decided to scale the roof above the home supporters. Now this stand was a different beast.. I'm not good at estimating distances at the best of times (especially from near 40-year old memories) but I'd hazard a guess that this stand wasn't 8 foot (like the one they'd just wrecked), it was maybe four or five times higher?

So anyway, your genius (and his mates) get up on top of the stand and he starts bouncing up and down to try and wreck this stand too. He falls straight through the fucker and lands on the "no-mans land" (that the police had created between opposing fans) stepped terraces below, breaks both his legs (and as I was typing this I looked it up to see what happened to the fella, and unfortunately it seems like he's "partially paralysed for life" (I mean that sincerely.. not as a joke, pissed up on the day or not I don't think he deserved that).

Having now read that link his version of events are very different to mine. I distinctly remember them smashing up the away end and then climbing the home end to try and do the same (at which point he fell through).

I also remember the Edgehill lot rushing him and trying to stick the boot in as he was lying on the floor (with two broken legs and a dog chewing on him).

As you can imagine, things didn't exactly cool down after that! Wolves were chucking what was left of the away end into the Scarborough fans and to police. Scarborough were chucking it back. Chaos after the game, running battles everywhere.

The weirdest thing, looking back is that the overwhelming emotion that I can remember from that game (aged 11) is being excited. It was the most intense and prolonged violence I've ever witnessed and I'm not a man who revels in hooliganism or violence. In fact, as an adult with my kids of that age, I'd nope the fuck out of there and take them home (as I'd hope anyone would!), but I don't know.. as a group of 11 year olds I guess we somehow thought it wasn't dangerous to us and that we were sneaking a peak into something that adults got up to (if that makes any sense at all?).

Coincidentally, I saw this on Facebook the other day:

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 21.58.53.png

One of the aforementioned videos you might have seen:

When we got home it was all over the news.

I've never figured out why, but after this date, my mother was never particularly keen on us going to football games (not that it stopped us). Let's put it this way: it was the last time we got a lift! 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recollect a night match in the seventies against Derby, when some of their supporters ran from the lane end to spray what was apparently acid into the front of the kop. Plod let our “boys” take revenge and then arrested the Derby, “ supporters”.

I was at the 5-5 Swindon game. Final whistle comes and I watch hundreds of Swindon fans invade the pitch cos they've made a PO final they'll go and lose (kind of classless in itself, but we've got plenty who've done the same) but the really classless thing is a dozen of them run to the uncovered away end and start trading punches. You've just won and your reaction isn't to celebrate it's to go and get a black eye off someone you dont know!

Those in that open end were the last tickets to be sold to Blades fans, due to unprecedented demand, that type of thing. I remember looking on from my seat in the side stand and had already made my mind up that many of those Blades were, shall we say, the proper hard nuts - no fannying about, no pretences with these guys.

At the final whistle, as those Swindon fans goaded the Blades behind that goal, I thought to myself, "You've bitten off more than you can chew there, you soppy Wiltshire dick-splashes." As a peace-loving hippy with all the Gong and Hawkwind albums I would never condone violence, but I have to admit I got quite some feeling of satisfaction as United's finest absolutely mauled Swindon's daftest.

They fired 3. One straight over the stand, one onto the pitch and the third was a direct hit.
Could have sworn one hit the roof and fell into the crowd. Must be memory playing tricks.

Having now read that link his version of events are very different to mine. I distinctly remember them smashing up the away end and then climbing the home end to try and do the same (at which point he fell through).
I don't like violence, I don't like seeing people hurt but I can say that there probably wasn't a more deserving recipient of those injuries that day. I will also say he'd lied unashamedly to justify what happened.

I lived in Scarborough until my teens. In the mid 1980s Scarborough appointed someone called Neil Warnock as manager and there was a Kevin Blackwell in goal (fuck knows what happened to them?).

It was the job that made Warnock's name. He took a shitty, unfashionable, non-league, seaside club and took them into the Football league. During the conference season, aged 10, I started going to games with my school mates .

The first game Scarborough drew in the 4th Division was Wolves. We (me and three mates from our estate) got a lift to the ground from my mum. As we were driving to the ground she's sat in stationary traffic and a Wolves fan falls on her to the bonnet of her car, rights himself, then launches a full can of beer at the windscreen. As you can imagine, my mum in a car with four 11 years olds wasn't exactly impressed!

Somehow we managed to persuade her to let us go, and it was just fucking chaos. Absolute insanity. It's a game that's gone down in history and one you still see on every football history/hooligan compilation from that era.

There were fights breaking out all over the place going up to the ground. Wolves had apparently turned up to take the piss. The thing is, the McCain Stadium was bang in the middle of the roughest council estate in Scarborough (so bad they eventually knocked most of it down). I'm not saying they got a shock, but they certainly found willing opponents.

When we got into the gound it was even worse. Endless punching and missiles between fans near the away end, and clueless police randomly getting involved (with batons and dogs).

As the game kicked off the Wolves fans climbed on the away end stand, which was a small (typically non-league.. barely above head height) stand and they were jumping up and down on it. They absolutely trashed the stand. The place looked like a war-zone. Throughout all this there was constant fighting where the away end is fenced off between fans, and the police were trying to control a zone between them with batons and dogs.

Anyone who has watched any historic compilations is probably way ahead of me here, but some of their "braver" (more pissed up) fans decided to scale the roof above the home supporters. Now this stand was a different beast.. I'm not good at estimating distances at the best of times (especially from near 40-year old memories) but I'd hazard a guess that this stand wasn't 8 foot (like the one they'd just wrecked), it was maybe four or five times higher?

So anyway, your genius (and his mates) get up on top of the stand and he starts bouncing up and down to try and wreck this stand too. He falls straight through the fucker and lands on the "no-mans land" (that the police had created between opposing fans) stepped terraces below, breaks both his legs (and as I was typing this I looked it up to see what happened to the fella, and unfortunately it seems like he's "partially paralysed for life" (I mean that sincerely.. not as a joke, pissed up on the day or not I don't think he deserved that).

I also remember the Edgehill lot rushing him and trying to stick the boot in as he was lying on the floor (with two broken legs and a dog chewing on him).

As you can imagine, things didn't exactly cool down after that! Wolves were chucking what was left of the away end into the Scarborough fans and to police. Scarborough were chucking it back. Chaos after the game, running battles everywhere.

The weirdest thing, looking back is that the overwhelming emotion that I can remember from that game (aged 11) is being excited. It was the most intense and prolonged violence I've ever witnessed and I'm not a man who revels in hooliganism or violence. In fact, as an adult with my kids of that age, I'd nope the fuck out of there and take them home (as I'd hope anyone would!), but I don't know.. as a group of 11 year olds I guess we somehow thought it wasn't dangerous to us and that we were sneaking a peak into something that adults got up to (if that makes any sense at all?).

View attachment 80507

I've never figured out why, but after this date, my mother was never particularly keen on us going to football games (not that it stopped us). Let's put it this way: it was the last time we got a lift! 😁

It’s entirely possible he wasn’t a hooligan and just a drunken arse, but does he really think wolves fans rampaged because he got laughed at? I bet as many of his own fans laughed.
Top wind up by the Scarborough chairman with the invoice too.
Out of interest, we played them the following season as we both escaped the third division. I doubt we’d played each other much in the preceding years. Did they turn up trying to take the piss?

I always enjoyed playing them when we were stuck in the second tier together for ages. Decent following and tended to be interesting games that we did quite well in at the Lane.

Those in that open end were the last tickets to be sold to Blades fans, due to unprecedented demand, that type of thing. I remember looking on from my seat in the side stand and had already made my mind up that many of those Blades were, shall we say, the proper hard nuts - no fannying about, no pretences with these guys.

At the final whistle, as those Swindon fans goaded the Blades behind that goal, I thought to myself, "You've bitten off more than you can chew there, you soppy Wiltshire dick-splashes." As a peace-loving hippy with all the Gong and Hawkwind albums I would never condone violence, but I have to admit I got quite some feeling of satisfaction as United's finest absolutely mauled Swindon's daftest.

I was in the side stand with my mate. The behaviour of the Wiltshire constabulary was appalling that night. We watched the Swindle fans go running over to our fans behind the goal, and start attacking them. Then, when our fans defended themselves and gave some back, plod simply attacked our fans with batons whilst ignoring the behaviour of the home fans.

I’ve hated the cunts ever since - I was delighted when they were relegated as we stormed to 100 points three years ago, and doubled them.

Horrible club, horrible fans.

I was in the side stand with my mate. The behaviour of the Wiltshire constabulary was appalling that night. We watched the Swindle fans go running over to our fans behind the goal, and start attacking them. Then, when our fans defended themselves and gave some back, plod simply attacked our fans with batons whilst ignoring the behaviour of the home fans.

I’ve hated the cunts ever since - I was delighted when they were relegated as we stormed to 100 points three years ago, and doubled them.

That’s because the coppers and their fans are all very closely related.

Wiltshire Constabulary have a bad track record, although to be fair nobody covered themselves in glory in 1988 (see if you can spot me in this news footage:

Ha!!! 3 guesses which county I currently live in? You're right though, I was also in the side stand thinking "oh dear, Kerry and Kurtan are going to get hurt now"

Ha!!! 3 guesses which county I currently live in? You're right though, I was also in the side stand thinking "oh dear, Kerry and Kurtan are going to get hurt now"

I love Wiltshire of course, largely due to the presence of Stonehenge and Avebury; there's certainly some sort of magic in the air surrounding these incredible ancient monuments. However, the only "magic" in Swindon is that bloody roundabout, as well as The Amazing Disappearing Megabus Stop. And the rock salmon I had from the chippy near the ground gave me a dippy tummy.

I love Wiltshire of course, largely due to the presence of Stonehenge and Avebury; there's certainly some sort of magic in the air surrounding these incredible ancient monuments. However, the only "magic" in Swindon is that bloody roundabout, as well as The Amazing Disappearing Megabus Stop. And the rock salmon I had from the chippy near the ground gave me a dippy tummy.

A few years ago I drove past Stonehenge on my way to Bournemouth. I'd never been there before and didn't even realise my route was taking me past it, until I saw the stones. I stopped to gaze at it in amazement and take some photo's from the road. In some ways it disappointed me. I'd only ever seen it on TV and in my mind Stonehenge was some barren, isolated place, out in the middle of nowhere, perhaps high up on a lonesome moor, or maybe in a forest clearing. I'd imagined it as some stark wilderness with these ancient stones mysteriously placed at its centre. I'd not envisaged that it would be a few stones sandwiched between two busy trunk roads! That kind of spoilt the effect for me.

Mind you, I was also disappointed with the Pyramids in Cairo. I'd imagined the setting for those to be some barren desert. In fact, it's a bit more like driving through Woodseats then all of a sudden they just pop up around the corner on a bit of spare land. Bloody scruffy place an' all.

I agree with you that Swindon doesn't have much to commend it though - and that Magic Roundabout of theirs is one of the daftest things in the country.

View attachment 80507

Crazy how one stupid decision can change your life like that. Saying that, no matter how drunk I’ve been I’ve never once thought I’ll go and climb on a roof.

I wonder what happened to the Blade who fell through the bus stop roof last year during the celebrations.

Crazy how one stupid decision can change your life like that.
I'll bet it's not the only stupid thing the man ever did but usually you get away with it, do it enough it catches up with you.

In the 4th division season I went to valley parade with my uncle who was known for being a tight sod. We paid to go behind the goal at the opposite end to the Blades fans as the home fans paid slightly less to get in. His plan was to go straight to the front and ask the police to let the 4 of us move to the away end as we had entered the wrong stand by mistake. Upon allowing us through the gate to be escorted round the Bradford fans realised and started throwing coins at us. 3 of us ran towards the side stand only to look back and see my uncle grovelling to pick the coins up that were being pelted at him. The copper sorting us out wasn’t too happy but my well pleased uncle reckoned he’d almost got his admission fee back as we took our place with the packed away end.
:rolleyes: 🤣
My dad always liked to get tickets for the stands but that day at Bradford he'd not managed to get any, so we were pay on the day standing. We hadn't got to valley parade until late on about quart to three to be met by massive queues outside the away end (as someone has said on the thread there wasn't many turnstiles open). At this my dad decided we'd go on the home end (the one you were on SpongeBob, though we didn't get coined), and headed for near the front. No sooner had we got there than a number of Blades were clambering over the wall on to the side of the pitch for an escort round to the away end. So we tagged on with those Blades and always remember the teams running out on to the pitch at the same time. The away end was rammed so the only place to stand for us was down at the front. Seem to remember a lot of away games were like that in that fourth division season.

Back
Top Bottom