message from Deano

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Such a pity we couldn’t go in and tempt a sale to us rather than the first loan.
Part of what was good was his interaction with the crowd as well as his keeping. So we need to hope Aaron can step in too.

We move on, I suspect this will harm him more than us, and honestly feel we are the best option for him for another few years. I hope he doesn’t end up on loan at another club unless it’s out of this country.

Just checked and you are right. I dont remember it being a loan.
You might be right but I thought we signed him on a short term contract as Derby messed him around. I have seen one article that says he came on loan but never seen it before but a long time since 1997! He was close to signing for West Ham the week before he signed for us but we offered him a better deal apparently?

I’ll wager my borderline obsessive 14-year-old self’s Match season wall chart over any modern claims over what the transfer was.

Verdict: free, not loan.

• season...

BCF53593-0AF3-4ADF-B873-170CE5D24EB9.png

I’ll wager my borderline obsessive 14-year-old self’s Match season wall chart over any modern claims over what the transfer was.

Verdict: free, not loan.

View attachment 89070

This solidifies your place as my favourite poster. The level of competition wasn't particularly hot but still, evidence of authentic pre-pubescent handwriting in service of 'Bladeyness' needs recognition.

From here forth, I shall i always 'like @Loughboroughblades posts regardless of their sense or otherwise

UTB

Attachments

• 20200819_212413.jpg
    20200819_212413.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200819_212408.jpg
    20200819_212408.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
GLTTL feels like we are losing one of our own just hope he isn’t loaned out to Leeds next

I doubt he'd go there to be honest, especially as they're in the same league. The rivalry between Man U and Leeds is fiersome particularly from the Leeds end. I think he could well go abroad for a season.

All the best Deano, top man, top statement and you'll be missed. A one off as a personality and I'm sure he'll go onto be Man U's first choice keeper in a year or so.

Hope he gets the chance to come to BDTBL when we are all allowed back in and gets the standing applause he deserves. He can then chuck 3 goals in for us against Man U 👍

Id like to see how much his "Once a Blade, always a Blade" bit goes......
Be good to see him back at the Lane at a couple of cup games maybe?

Put yourself in his shoes, you're an elite young keeper, just had a storming season with Manchester United, and you could stay if you wanted, but Sheffield United want you back.....course you're gonna f**kin go!! great bloke, and wish him all the best ⚔❤

Hendo always felt like we pulled a top bird that realistically we couldn't keep but we was always hopeful as we progressed that he'd settle for a bit of rough instead of Hollywood.

Nice love affair and loved the 2 years.

Rambo no.1 now and has already said it's brilliant to be home.

The king is dead long live the king.

The best loan signing the club has ever made.

After 3 or 4 games I watched him make the wonder save against Norwich and thought to myself this kid is going to be a top class keeper and I wasn’t wrong.

After he came in he was integral to everything we’ve achieved since, embraced what the club is about, and has shown how much this club means to him.

He has been fairly open and honest that his aim to become number 1 at Manchester United, and that is entirely his prerogative and I’m glad he made it known right from the start, and I can only admire the lads ambition and confidence.

I’ve been a Unitedite since the 80s, and for me he is undoubtedly the best goalkeeper I’ve seen us have, and I’ve seen us have some superb goalkeepers.

I’m sad he is wishing us farewell now, but I’m thankful for everything he did for us, and can only wish that he continues kicking on for his club, gets in the England squad and becomes first choice for our country.

Still it is what it is, I wish he could stay here for longer but we’ve got another exciting goalkeeeper coming in and he also deserves the same kind of support that Deano has enjoyed and I’m hopeful we have swapped one cracking goalie for another
Kelly and Tracey both way better than him.

Still injured and getting on a bit and that back up goalie that got away with murder against us is a bomb scare. Makes sense to me to loan the best young English keeper behind Ramsdale.

Still injured and getting on a bit and that back up goalie that got away with murder against us is a bomb scare. Makes sense to me to loan the best young English keeper behind Ramsdale.

Villa don't do things that make sense though.

They signed Reina and Drinkwater to attempt to avoid relegation.

They'll probably try and sign David Seaman and Teddy Sherringham.

We can call the official matchday programme supportive evidence, but really the self-filled-in wall chart is the gospel.

Dimitrios Marcos...the lesser known if the three Greeks? Never played a game for uus but got 17 Greek caps.

That season alone we had about 6 International strikers...Deane, Fjortoft, Katchouro, Saunders, Taylor, Walker + Marcelo, Scott and Stuart/Devlin who could at up top and Lee Morris who came through also. Probably forgot more! It was nuts. Yet we were all excited about us getting a lad called Raphael Chuckwu. A Nigerian capped striker who played briefly for Bar I after we failed to sign him. Spent most of his career in South Africa.

Tomorrow a feature on Jon (O') Connor (Terminator), John Cofie (Green Mile) and other movie stars called John who played for the Blades.

Last edited:
If he's not no.1 he'll be out on loan (Villa my tip) so he won't be on his arse.

I'd not be shocked if he went to Leeds...despite the rivalry and the shit they gave him. Depends if Romero goes there as has been rumoured instead?

If Man Utd extend his contract and dont play him they are not goung to loan him to any of the other top 6 and Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves all got good, established keepers. Burnley have a keeper as good as him.

Palace, Newcastle's keepers were stand out players for them too last year.

West Brom have a good keeper too in Johnstone.

Southampton (signed Gunn for big money and got McCarthy too do not sure they'd spend 100k a week on him) and Brighton (got a decent keeper in Ryan) so not sure thise two would sign him. West Ham got a good keeper and just signed a back up too. Not sure Everton would bring him in when they havevthe current (not for long) Engjsnd number 1.

He's left with Villa (got 4 keepers as it is and Heaton is decent enough), Leeds and Fulham.

Maybe he ends up at Fulham. They are spending daft money again.

I can see him staying at Man Utd to start thev season, them preferring De Gea (as Ole has indicated) and him being sat on his arse a lot. He may have to go abroad.

I'd not be shocked if he went to Leeds...despite the rivalry and the shit they gave him. Depends if Romero goes there as has been rumoured instead?

If Man Utd extend his contract and dont play him they are not goung to loan him to any of the other top 6 and Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves all got good, established keepers. Burnley have a keeper as good as him.

Palace, Newcastle's keepers were stand out players for them too last year.

West Brom have a good keeper too in Johnstone.

Southampton (signed Gunn for big money and got McCarthy too do not sure they'd spend 100k a week on him) and Brighton (got a decent keeper in Ryan) so not sure thise two would sign him. West Ham got a good keeper and just signed a back up too. Not sure Everton would bring him in when they havevthe current (not for long) Engjsnd number 1.

He's left with Villa (got 4 keepers as it is and Heaton is decent enough), Leeds and Fulham.

Maybe he ends up at Fulham. They are spending daft money again.

I can see him staying at Man Utd to start thev season, them preferring De Gea (as Ole has indicated) and him being sat on his arse a lot. He may have to go abroad.

I think he'll be Man U's cup and Champions League keeper until De Gea wants to play.

Or he'll go to Germany for a different challenge.

Last edited:
I think he'll be Man U's cup and Champions League keeper until De Gea wants to play.

Or he'll go to Germany for a different challenge.
I can only see him staying put or going abroad. Why would he go to Leeds over us?

I can only see him staying put or going abroad. Why would he go to Leeds over us?

Leeds have signed a very good young keeper anyway, the lad that played against Arsenal in the cup, and still have Casilla who, while a nutter, is a serviceable number 2.

I don't see another season in the Premier League for anyone but Man U as development for him, he's either going to play in European competition as Man U's keeper, or he's going to go and play against some of the best teams in Europe for Schalke or something.

I'd like to believe that he'd never go to Leeds just based on the abuse he got, it'd be fucking sick if Man U made him.

The best loan signing the club has ever made.

After 3 or 4 games I watched him make the wonder save against Norwich and thought to myself this kid is going to be a top class keeper and I wasn’t wrong.

After he came in he was integral to everything we’ve achieved since, embraced what the club is about, and has shown how much this club means to him.

He has been fairly open and honest that his aim to become number 1 at Manchester United, and that is entirely his prerogative and I’m glad he made it known right from the start, and I can only admire the lads ambition and confidence.

I’ve been a Unitedite since the 80s, and for me he is undoubtedly the best goalkeeper I’ve seen us have, and I’ve seen us have some superb goalkeepers.

I’m sad he is wishing us farewell now, but I’m thankful for everything he did for us, and can only wish that he continues kicking on for his club, gets in the England squad and becomes first choice for our country.

Still it is what it is, I wish he could stay here for longer but we’ve got another exciting goalkeeeper coming in and he also deserves the same kind of support that Deano has enjoyed and I’m hopeful we have swapped one cracking goalie for another
Really, better than Tracey or Kelly? Not for me. He was good and as someone has mentioned previously much better than the dross we have had in goal for us for a few years prior.
Not sure I would give him such big accolades.

Lets not forget that for some games he hardly had anything to do.
At the Lane it was a very common saying. Our defence would be under loads of pressure but we’d all say
“we can’t be doing that bad because Henderson has hardly touched the ball”

The quality of Henderson was mainly shot stopping, he’d hardly be involved, then pull out a really good save.
However don’t think I’ve ever seen him under the cosh, being man of the match puling off multiple saves.

Let’s not forget he had a fantastic defence in front of him offering him protection...so at this stage Kelly, Rees and Tracey were better.

Exactly what i was going to say. What I would say for Deano is that his concentration is great, as you say for long periods he would be unemployed, then pull off a great save. Great having him here, we move on now with Ramsdale being the new Number 1, hopefully he will be better than all of the above.

Last edited:
Good luck in the future, top lad

Thanks for the memories. Goes down as one of the best loans in our history.

Everyone saying he got our club, but never quite enough to make it permanent. He played the social media game and the cameras well. I always felt uncomfortable that he wasn't our player and was fixated on the Mancs which left us in a vulnerable position.

I can't wish him good luck. He is a Man Utd player. I despise Man U and everything about them. I think Dean may regret this longer term. Man U have priced him out of the loan market whilst sticking with De Gea and still looking at bringing in other keepers. His England aspirations may be just that.

Hendo is the ex, here's hoping Rammers can step up and nick that England spot.

You might be right but I thought we signed him on a short term contract as Derby messed him around. I have seen one article that says he came on loan but never seen it before but a long time since 1997! He was close to signing for West Ham the week before he signed for us but we offered him a better deal apparently?

Yeah saw that article. It's incorrect though. He did not join us on loan. It was permanent but a short term deal we extended. I think I read it in his own autobiography that Derby messed him about and offered him a rubbish deal so he left as he was out of contract so he could not sign for us on loan. He was all set to sign with West Ham before he signed for us.

Yeah saw that article. It's incorrect though. He did not join us on loan. It was permanent but a short term deal we extended. I think I read it in his own autobiography that Derby messed him about and offered him a rubbish deal so he left as he was out of contract so he could not sign for us on loan. He was all set to sign with West Ham before he signed for us.

If we believe Soccerbase we are both wrong. He initially signed on a monthly deal made permanent in October of that year.

Albeit a quick look, can't find a single thing about him signing for West Ham.

Was good while it lasted but I don't think he was particularly good after lockdown if I'm being totally honest. That said.... He was an excellent loan signing and I wish him well..

Back
Top Bottom