Mcburnie has to start

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's pretty kneejerk regarding Billy. Outside of those two big moments (missed header & free kick giveaway) he was pretty good again. Used his strength, brought the others into play, lovely first touch..

Unclear what McBurnie has shown us, in 2 years, to demonstrate that he warrants a shirt. I've never seen him play as a lone striker and do well. Don't get me wrong, it's a different side and it could work but I don't think there's a body of evidence to support strong feelings either way for it.

*edit
One thing in McBurnie's favour is his defensive aerial ability. We look extremely vulnerable to aerial bombardment at the back and he is exceptional in this regard.
He should have come on last night for Sharp to help us see the game out.
We'd already used our 3 subs by then

If McBurnie is the answer, what is the question?

He has scored a few goals, some of them crucial, but I can't ever remember thinking that he put in an outstanding MOM performance - Billy on the other hand .....

"Who's that gangly centre forward with an awful touch and ill fitting socks, who plays upfront for Sheffield United?"

2 assists in his last 2 subs appearances about 40 minutes

Bar Luton when every one was awful

Im not saying sharp is bad he isn't but Mcburnie offers far more if he gets a run in the team
What constitutes as a run in the team?

McBurnie's longest run in the side was starting 9 consecutive league games in our first season in the PL.

Scored once in that run of starts and from my recollection, zero assists (I'll happily be proven wrong though if you'd like to correct me on that).

Maybe he will light up the Championship like folk are saying, and hopefully now we've got a couple of creative players in MGW and Ndiaye, we'll see those chances come for him. I just think it would be unfair to drop Sharp based on current form.

Watch him during the half time warm-ups. He can’t be arsed. He’s taking his career as a professional footballer for granted.

There’s a lot of thing McBurnie has to do but starting isn’t one of them.
I think that's just his demeanour, TC could be a bit like that sometimes

A fit Mousset is our number 1 striker by a country mile.

Sharp and Mcburnie depends on who the opposition is. A weak defence like Peterboro them sharp, a land of the giants defence like preston, boro etc then Mcburnie

I think that's just his demeanour, TC could be a bit like that sometimes
It’s not just his demeanour. The socks down and stuff give that off, yes - but not having the commitment to do the simple fitness tasks asked of all players just shows his desire to get the absolute maximum out of his ability and career.

He is miles better than sharp and we should be building a team around him we cant with sharp because he's 36

I don't think this season is about "building," the Prince said as much himself in his interview on SUW.

This season is shit, or bust with what we have. If it's bust, then next season we sell a few off and start afresh (building) with younger players.

Right now, Sharp is our best option. He's proven this time & again... and as much as he's proven it, the others haven't done enough.
I refer you to Brewster, Burke & McBurnie's goalscoring records with us for reference.

Last edited:
Anyone who actually thinks McBurnie is a good footballer and should be playing for Sheffield United should be laughed at, and all future football opinions from them should be pointed at and ridiculed.

Chris Wilder did , he was also our best striker in the first season in the Prem arguably with mcgoldrick and was injured for a lot of the relegation season

Take your bladey blade tinted glasses off

So Sharp has 3 assists in 2 games playing this formation, but he's not good enough? Fuck the fuck off.

3 assists against peterboro and did shite all last night

He was poor last night and doesn't hold the ball up as well as Mcburnie and isn't a focal point for attacks

McBurnie cannot play as a lone striker in the system we are using at the moment. He does not hold the ball up well enough and his movement is not as good as Sharp's.

We have scored 8 goals with Sharp up front using this system. He had 3 assists and some involvement in others. We had 1 in the previous 5 games. He's doing fine.
What about all the fouls from Sharp. McBurnie is our best all-round striker, the midfield was terrible for 18 months.

Our best all round striker is surely someone who can shoot, not just bobble the ball of his shins.

I think McBurnie has his merits (lovely through-ball for Osborn on Saturday) and I'd have brought him on last night if only for the added height but I can't ever see him getting the required goals.

Our best all round striker is surely someone who can shoot, not just bobble the ball of his shins.

I think McBurnie has his merits (lovely through-ball for Osborn on Saturday) and I'd have brought him on last night if only for the added height but I can't ever see him getting the required goals.
Pretty hard to get goals when your midfield is piss poor and you're getting little to no service. With a decent midfield he'll get goals, as per Swansea

3 assists against peterboro and did shite all last night

He was poor last night and doesn't hold the ball up as well as Mcburnie and isn't a focal point for attacks
Unfortunately for you, these are two players who can't be looked at objectively.

Sharp will always be great in some minds. Has a good game and he's compared to Ronaldo, have a bad game and he still was good and "held the ball up well".

If Mcburnie had missed the chances Sharp has the past two games he would be slaughtered, 3 assists or not. Even any good attributes (defensive headers) are dismissed despite us continuing to concede in situations like last night.

If given a run in this side Mcburnie would score imo. Despite Sharp being poor last night I don't know if I would change it just yet so soon after turning a corner but he at least needs more minutes on the pitch. The sub should have been made and earlier.

Pretty hard to get goals when your midfield is piss poor and you're getting little to no service. With a decent midfield he'll get goals, as per Swansea

Oh agreed, but it's also hard to get goals when every time you shoot you bring up a big divot of turf with you and every attacking header comes off your shoulder.

Oh agreed, but it's also hard to get goals when every time you shoot you bring up a big divot of turf with you and every attacking header comes off your shoulder.
Probably understandable given that he only got a chance every 3 games.

I wouldn't have McBurnie anywhere near the team ! He's league 1 quality at best.
Chris wilder bought poorly in my opinion,
And now we've not much other options than playing Billy sharp , i do believe we'll avoid another relegation, but people that think we'll be up there at the top are delusional,

Its now or never for him here. We are now playing the same 4231 type system with one CF that he played at Swansea. (helps with them having James, Routledge and Montero at the time)

I wouldn't have McBurnie anywhere near the team ! He's league 1 quality at best.
Chris wilder bought poorly in my opinion,
And now we've not much other options than playing Billy sharp , i do believe we'll avoid another relegation, but people that think we'll be up there at the top are delusional,
How is a proven championship goalscorer 'L1 quality at best'. He hasnt even had a run of games this season yet

Chris Wilder did , he was also our best striker in the first season in the Prem arguably with mcgoldrick and was injured for a lot of the relegation season

Take your bladey blade tinted glasses off
He wasn’t our best at all. The only people who say that are those who say “put in a reyt shift” because he runs around barging into everyone all game and looks like he’s trying, basically people who have no clue about football because when you really break it down he is only good for defending in our box, runs about yes but when you break it down he pretends to run about, as in pretends to close defenders down, never does though, barges all game, wins the odd foul, gives plenty more away. Useless.

Unfortunately for you, these are two players who can't be looked at objectively.

Sharp will always be great in some minds. Has a good game and he's compared to Ronaldo, have a bad game and he still was good and "held the ball up well".

If Mcburnie had missed the chances Sharp has the past two games he would be slaughtered, 3 assists or not. Even any good attributes (defensive headers) are dismissed despite us continuing to concede in situations like last night.

If given a run in this side Mcburnie would score imo. Despite Sharp being poor last night I don't know if I would change it just yet so soon after turning a corner but he at least needs more minutes on the pitch. The sub should have been made and earlier.

Correct agree with most of that

My main Gripe is when people say Mcburnie is shite and he does nothing , he clearly doesn't as i have seen him Bully three of the best teams in the world in Man city & Chelsea and Liverpool away the start of the relegation season

And you cannot slag a player off because he doesn't do anything in a 15 min sub cameo (same logic for brewster)

If we are playing with one striker then Bill isn't good enough on his own

And yes he played well against peterboro
Codswallop. Absolute nonsense. While not always strong or quick enough BS is the only centre forward at the club. Everyone else is some flavour if support striker.

McBurnie in particular hasn't shown the tactical discipline to be where he needs to be to be the focal point of a 433. Full backs and CMs look up and he could have wandered off anywhere.

Oliver McBurnie has the worst footballing brain of any of our strikers. If we’re playing one up top to let the midfielders score, it’s got to be Billy or Didzy.
Any striker who's main purpose is to get the midfielders to score, shouldnt really be playing as a striker

Back
Top Bottom