Incoming? Matt Clarke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's surely on more money than we'd be prepared to pay?
He'd be one of the top CHs in the league if he were to come - I imagine he'll actually have suitors in the PL. Plus, I'd rather be paying decent wages to a loanee, than someone who'd be on the books for 3 years and may be crocked, or crap.

He's surely on more money than we'd be prepared to pay?

I don't know how much he's now on at Liverpool but I doubt it will be more than Utd paid for Henderson in his second season. He may well be reluctant to drop straight back to the Champ though and may hold out for a Prem or even Scottish Prem move

I don't know how much he's now on at Liverpool but I doubt it will be more than Utd paid for Henderson in his second season. He may well be reluctant to drop straight back to the Champ though and may hold out for a Prem or even Scottish Prem move
He's on £60k a week plus some lubrication to take the splinters out of his arse sat on the bench.

If you are not overlapping then how much is there a need for a left foot right foot combination?

I understand if your remit is changing down the wing and whipping crosses into the box.

But if it isn't, then it feels to me like this becomes a nice to have than a must have.

I'd rather have a good right footed centre half than an average one who just happens to be left footed.

Gone to WBA will be this season's gone to Villa, I can feel it in me waters.
I'd like to know if he turned us down for them, or whether we never pursued it as much as was reported. I noted that Clarke didn't say he had other options etc, which is often something footballers will say so that the fans of the club they've chosen think that he wanted to join them etc. Maybe looking into it too much, but I'm surprised we lost out to Albion, as we're a bigger club and have a high profile manager and I would imagine that wages weren't a factor as they would be presumably paid for whatever by the loaning club.

I'd like to know if he turned us down for them, or whether we never pursued it as much as was reported. I noted that Clarke didn't say he had other options etc, which is often something footballers will say so that the fans of the club they've chosen think that he wanted to join them etc. Maybe looking into it too much, but I'm surprised we lost out to Albion, as we're a bigger club and have a high profile manager and I would imagine that wages weren't a factor as they would be presumably paid for whatever by the loaning club.
We're fairly obviously not bigger than West Brom.

We're fairly obviously not bigger than West Brom.

Id say we're on a fairly even footing to WBA. We are, however, the biggest club in our city, so West Brom can fuck off.

Id say we're on a fairly even footing to WBA. We are, however, the biggest club in our city, so West Brom can fuck off.

We are quite clearly not on an even footing with a team who have spend 13 of the last 20 years in the PL (the other 7 in the Championship)
We have sent 3 in the PL, 11 in the championship and 6 in league 1

Not to mention their superior post war history.

We've not won anything significant for almost a 100 years

We are quite clearly not on an even footing with a team who have spend 13 of the last 20 years in the PL (the other 7 in the Championship)
We have sent 3 in the PL, 11 in the championship and 6 in league 1

Not to mention their superior post war history.

Just a nothing team near Birmingham in my eyes.

Our last 2 Championship average attendances are higher than they get in the Premier League.
I'd say West Brom's ceiling is about 14th in the Premier League. They'll always be behind Wolves and Villa in the west midlands. Our ceiling is higher as we don't have the same level of local inferiority.

For what it's worth we've had as many single figure PL finishes as they have.

Higher attendances might lead to higher turnover or does that measurement not count on your barometer?
Academy?

Clubs with the most youth products currently playing in the Premier League, either with them or elsewhere
1. you're ignoring their higher turnover for most of the last two decades
2. They've got as many academy products as us (unless we're bigger than them for being nearer the front of the alphabet?)
3. They have a higher rated academy

Last edited:
We are not a bigger club than WBA
Youre sounding like a pig fan
Yes it does sound like a Wednesday fan, but I stick to the point. Albion average 23,000 in the Prem, we get 30,000 plus every home game. I'm just saying that if it was a choice between us and West Brom and us, I believe we've got more pulling power as a club. Anyone who doesn't compare size of their club with others is in my view lying if he or she has never done that.

Yes it does sound like a Wednesday fan, but I stick to the point. Albion average 23,000 in the Prem, we get 30,000 plus every home game. I'm just saying that if it was a choice between us and West Brom and us, I believe we've got more pulling power as a club. Anyone who doesn't compare size of their club with others is in my view lying if he or she has never done that.

Unless you’re a pro footballer who would rather play for a club who’s spent more time in the top two leagues, I suppose.

Bigger than West Brom. Fucking hell.

Not to mention, and I did try and edit my post but timed out. Honours. Since the war

WBA

Football League First Division / Premier League
  • Runners-up: 1953–54
Football League Second Division / EFL Championship
  • Champions 2007–08
  • Runners-up: 1948–49, 2001–02, 2003–04, 2009–10, 2019–20
FA Cup
  • Winners 1954, 1968
Football League Cup
  • Winners : 1966
  • Finalists: 1967, 1970
Not to mention a UEFA Cup Quarter final

Us
  • Second Division / First Division / Championship
    • Winners: 1952–53
    • Runners-up: 1960–61, 1970–71, 1989–90, 2005–06, 2018–1

bloody hell I've stumbled in to porktalk

Who cares? What difference does that make to how successful or big a club is?
Who cares? I care for starters. When I meet fans of other clubs I want our club to be regarded as the best and biggest it can be. I remember the early 90's, I'd not long since started supporting United and as good as we were under Bassett, Wednesday were clearly seen as the bigger club outside of Sheffield then with their bigger attendances and then they got into Europe on the back of winning the league cup and they had several England players. Fast forward to now and we more than hold our own, I speak to people outside of the city that would recognise United, not Wednesday as the bigger Sheffield club and I have a pride in my team to argue that point.

Actually on size of attendance is linked to success and the size of your club grows as a result, I hope one day we'll extend the kop as I feel this will give Bramall Lane an even more appealing look. I do get what you and other fans are saying re comparing attendance figures, but I'm not saying we're a massive club or claiming we have a divine right to be in the PL or even the Championship, and I really like the fact we're still the grounded set of fans, down to earth and not up our own backsides. I don't see how saying we're bigger than West Brom is particularly arrogant I have respect for Albion as what I would say as a proper football club, but if honest I don't particularly like Albion, much prefer Wolves out of the two clubs, for various reasons, maybe that shows in my comments!

Unless you’re a pro footballer who would rather play for a club who’s spent more time in the top two leagues, I suppose.

This is of course why professional footballers would rather play for Arsenal or West Ham than Liverpool, Man City of Chelsea. They only care about attendances.

On that basis, I'd say it goes down to what the player would perceive as the more attractive club to him, there's so many factors here like location, does he know any other players at a club, the manager, recent success, the ground appeal, and most importantly for most, what the wage packet is.

robbiez666 I've just seen latest post. I agree Albion have had a much more impressive history in the 1950's onwards compared to our mediocre performance on the whole. I doubt players look too much beyond the most recent times and I think whether Albion have spent more seasons in the Prem than us is not necessarily a deciding factor, although again I can't deny that they've done better than us, so have many other teams of late like Bournemouth and Burnley, but does that make us a smaller club, no, but will we lose out to Burnley right now on recruitment, yes as they're a PL club. We're equal to WBA on the basis we've both just been relegated from the PL, we doubled them last season also. I still feel we're a bigger club, I'm sorry that seems to be irking you, I'm not trying to be arrogant, it's just my opinion.

Not to mention, and I did try and edit my post but timed out. Honours. Since the war

WBA

Football League First Division / Premier League
  • Runners-up: 1953–54
Football League Second Division / EFL Championship
  • Champions 2007–08
  • Runners-up: 1948–49, 2001–02, 2003–04, 2009–10, 2019–20
FA Cup
  • Winners 1954, 1968
Football League Cup
  • Winners : 1966
  • Finalists: 1967, 1970
Not to mention a UEFA Cup Quarter final

Us
  • Second Division / First Division / Championship
    • Winners: 1952–53
    • Runners-up: 1960–61, 1970–71, 1989–90, 2005–06, 2018–1
Are Blackburn a bigger club than us? Wigan? Portsmouth? Bolton?

This season is going to be bloody long. I now know why some people want to stick fireworks up their arse.

This season is going to be bloody long. I now know why some people want to stick fireworks up their arse.
I wouldn't recommend that to be honest, the NHS is burdened enough as it is right now ;) . It's only about opinions and we're all Blades fans on here as far as I'm concerned. I honestly wish I'd not even said we're bigger than Albion, I didn't expect that to be controversial/annoying! As I said I fully get why we find it annoying when Wednesday do it, but they make an Olympic sport of it. At the heart of it, I'm annoyed that Albion have signed him over us it seems, and I thought he seemed a decent signing but hopefully we'll have someone else lined up just as good.

2nd biggest signing in their proud history:

West Brom sign Scotland winger Oliver Burke from RB Leipzig for £15m | West  Bromwich Albion | The Guardian

Back
Top Bottom