Incoming? Matt Clarke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I still don't see why we don't just try and get Jake Cooper at Millwall. We are seldom linked and he's exactly what we could do with. He's a danger from set pieces and wins everything in the air.

Post covid it's not as if Millwall will be flush for cash.
That's a great shout but he's 2 years older than Clarke and I think they'd want a similar if not higher fee as he's been their standout defensive player for a while now. Generally speaking, it's easier to prize away a player who isn't part of a teams plans than it is to buy a teams best player, unless you're buying a lower league teams best player, in which case it'll only be a few hundred grand most likely and the pulling power to move up the leagues puts the buying club in a strong position.

That's a great shout but he's 2 years older than Clarke and I think they'd want a similar if not higher fee as he's been their standout defensive player for a while now. Generally speaking, it's easier to prize away a player who isn't part of a teams plans than it is to buy a teams best player, unless you're buying a lower league teams best player, in which case it'll only be a few hundred grand most likely and the pulling power to move up the leagues puts the buying club in a strong position.
I'm sure I saw figures of £7m-£8m being mentioned for Cooper a year ago.

Really promising article on the type of player Clarke is, all sounds very good for those that are not impressed Apparently very dominant in the air, and "had the best defensive duels win rate in the Championship, including blocks, tackles, interceptions and aerial duels won, according to Five Yards"

Also, apparently very vocal so that all sounds decent. He's at a good age now too, still time to improve but not so young that if he plays well for us in the Prem that we will instantly fight a battle to keep him as we would if he was younger.
The highlighted bit could also be because he spent so much time defending, having played for a team of garbage!

The highlighted bit could also be because he spent so much time defending, having played for a team of garbage!

I would say having a really high percentage of success in his defensive duels when playing for a team where he has little in the way of competent support, would point to him being a standout performer.

Great spotlight vid from when he played against Bmuff earlier this year. One of the very few that could make that JOC style LCB position their own. Would be a sensible signing that I would definitely be happy with. ⚔️

Great spotlight vid from when he played against Bmuff earlier this year. One of the very few that could make that JOC style LCB position their own. Would be a sensible signing that I would definitely be happy with. ⚔️

Having watched his contribution there, it must be me, cos I can't fathom out whether he looks great or a bit of a cart horse?

I guess I'm probably doing him an injustice

Having watched his contribution there, it must be me, cos I can't fathom out whether he looks great or a bit of a cart horse?

I guess I'm probably doing him an injustice
Could be a bit of both👍 for what it's worth think we can do better.

Good to see Slav saying no names and must keep confidential when asked about Clarke. Rather than the 'we've kept an eye on him and I rate him' we've had in the past

I would say having a really high percentage of success in his defensive duels when playing for a team where he has little in the way of competent support, would point to him being a standout performer.
Percentage I'd tend to agree.

Most number of - depends how much defending that team is doing.

Hopefully not us. i would rather loan a defender than spend 5 on a player that might not be good enough for if we go up again. I would rather bring in loans in all positions

Speaking to a Derby supporting friend of mine he said Clarke is a good player, who reads the game very well, but is quite slow. Won their player of the season 2 seasons ago, quite a solid player.

It looks like JOC is probably never coming back at a similar level and therefore we need a long-term replacement.

Happily pay £2 million (plus performance add-ons) for Clark but there's no way we should be in a bidding war starting at £5 million. There is better value elsewhere.

Clark is slow but got a good footballing brain. He also has the aerial prowess we lack

There's no point loaning someone in that position as we'll have the same problem next summer minus Robinson.

What a lovely homegrown talent story from the plucky underdogs Brighton. I guess it had absolutely nothing to do with the £70m loss that your sugar daddy owner was able to prop you up with then?
300 million in the hole
Another Wednesday waiting to happen
Their time will come ,can't keep covering hundred million a season losses even with Premier league money
Once that trap door opens won't be long before the likes of stevem are back.supporting man utd

It won't be much of a bidding war if the price starts at £5m. WBA bid £5m, Brighton accept, United....er no thanks.

Might be worth a couple of million, but no more.

If it is for £5m that seem very steep to me and great business by Brighton. Bit gutted if we wanted him though and losing out to a promotion rival. Maybe we'll be looking at the loan market instead.

So Brighton bought him for £3.5M ish and they want bidding to start at £5M having not played a single game for them? Nixon, fuck off silly twat!
They signed him from league 1 and he has played 2 seasons in the champ (including one poty) since.

If we do want him and can’t compete with WBA fee-wise, we are fcked.
Maybe it's just that for that price we have decided to look elsewhere, guess we'll know come the start of the season.

Are WBA going to be this seasons Villa? Just wait and see what players we're interested in and then hijack it at the last moment?

Back
Top Bottom