Incoming? Matt Clarke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Think Brighton bought him from Portsmouth IIRC but he just couldn't get in the side.

Looked OK when he played last season in a terrible Derby team and a decent aerial presence.

There could be far worse shouts for LCB.

Looked great at Pompey couldn’t get in a Brighton side that hoarded all the centrehalves would make a lot of sense.

Remember he was a really good player when he was at Pompey. Would be pretty happy with this move if the stories of JOC are correct.

Sheffield United are keen on signing Matt Clarke from Brighton this summer

Sheff U very keen among others. And have money plus poss vacancy if Bryan goes

FLW.co.uk

Hope this isn’t indicative of JOC prospects of playing.

we are down to essentially Basham and Egan for 3 places with no jags, question marks over JOC and Bryan.

Guess we can throw Robinson in there as cover

Looked great at Pompey couldn’t get in a Brighton side that hoarded all the centrehalves would make a lot of sense.
Love a big decent centre half they do 😬

Dunk
White
Veltman
Burn
Webster
Duffy
Clarke

Love a big decent centre half they do 😬

Dunk
White
Veltman
Burn
Webster
Duffy
Clarke
They just went through a period of signing every promising centrehalf below the prem tried playing some at fullback and then realised they had too many 😂

They just went through a period of signing every promising centrehalf below the prem tried playing some at fullback and then realised they had too many 😂
I think the first 5 they played most of last season. Land of the giants lol

Not a bad signing, good work rate but nothing over spectacular.. as a team looking to challenge for the title I would have to question if this is really the best we can attract?
Who would you suggest as a realistic alternate?

There's a tbread from before Brighton signed him.it was rumoured we were i for him but we wouldn't pay the asking price.

I don’t rate him as a footballer at all, he’s a league one player at best and Brighton now know this, they just want to claw some of the £3.5M they spent on him back in 2019. They’ll get a million at the most or it might be another loan for him. I think he’ll end up back in league one in a year or so.

I don’t rate him as a footballer at all, he’s a league one player at best and Brighton now know this, they just want to claw some of the £3.5M they spent on him back in 2019. They’ll get a million at the most or it might be another loan for him. I think he’ll end up back in league one in a year or so.

Agree. Anyone with any talent at all would have stood out in Derby’s side last year - players like Jason Knight and Louis Sibley did. Matt Clarke was nondescript. He’s utterly average at best and we need better at the back.

(I’m sure what will happen now is that we’ll sign him, Slav will get a great season out of him and I’ll be forced to eat humble pie like when I suggested that Tufty was out of his depth near the beginning of his tenure. And if so, I’ll be delighted to be wrong, again.)

Agree. Anyone with any talent at all would have stood out in Derby’s side last year - players like Jason Knight and Louis Sibley did. Matt Clarke was nondescript. He’s utterly average at best and we need better at the back.

(I’m sure what will happen now is that we’ll sign him, Slav will get a great season out of him and I’ll be forced to eat humble pie like when I suggested that Tufty was out of his depth near the beginning of his tenure. And if so, I’ll be delighted to be wrong, again.)
Part of an awful Derby defence last year. I watched their game against the pigs, they let in 3 and Waghorn when substituted had to go onto the sidelines to try and get the defence to stand in the right places. Schoolboy stuff and things you would think a competent centre back could organise on the pitch. Might do better under a more competent manager but initial impressions aren't good.

I just wonder who's suggesting these names. Every one who's been suggested so far is pushing 31 and after one last contract or mediocre meh signings.

Clarke's ratings were far higher than the 2 you mentioned. The year before he was Derby's Player of the Year.

This rumour can't be true - he's not 31!

At least left sided CBs are being suggested rather than CFs on £60-80k/week!

Probably be an excellent signing. Not what I'd call a good source mind you.

As EddieColquhoun mentioned, he was Derby's player of the season in his first season. He was one of those players that made headlines at Portsmouth as a really good player and ready to step up, I would imagine he'd be an improvement on Robinson, although I'll be the first to admit I've not seen him play.

As EddieColquhoun mentioned, he was Derby's player of the season in his first season. He was one of those players that made headlines at Portsmouth as a really good player and ready to step up, I would imagine he'd be an improvement on Robinson, although I'll be the first to admit I've not seen him play.
Robinson is a better player, not saying much I know but he’s better nonetheless. No point bringing the same standard or worse players than we’ve got in, we have more pressing issues.

Also, as a side note, if he’s looking for a replacement for JOC he doesn’t have to be left footed, he’s a CB and we won’t be needing overlapping CBs again, just a good, ball playing CB who can carry it out 10 or 15 yards, that’s usually how a Slav team plays, although this obviously isn’t set in stone.

For me, replacing Bash (age) and JOC (fitness) when the times come was always going to be our biggest task and the one that I'm most apprehensive about, given the niche nature of their role.

They are both the epitome of consistency, professionalism, energy, dedication, creativity, excitement and fitness. They never, ever let you down. Thems be the hugest of shoes to fill, in a very specific role that demands a lot. How incredibly fortunate we've been to see them in their pomp.

Back
Top Bottom