Player Suggestion Marcus Maddison

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is someone gonna ask Nixon then? I can't bring myself to swoop that low
Pretty sure I saw someone ask about him the other day and he said something along the lines of “I was sick of hearing his name in the summer”

Peterborough have just got a midfielder in on loan, could be another part of the puzzle?

Why would Utd go for a player who can play LW (a position very rarely required with CW's preference to stick to 3-4-1-2) or CAM (when Duffy and Dowell are already at the club), especially one who is unproven above L1 and has a reputation of being somewhat of a loose cannon (although that doesn't appear to be too much of a consideration for CW in light of a particular recent signing)?

This reeks of another Byrne, Morsy, Burn.... (who incidentally all ended up at Wigan - I wonder if their scouting team read this forum??)

Last edited:
Beats men!
Great crosser of the ball, and can cross at pace in open play.
Gets his fair share of goals, fast and direct.

I'm in.

Why would Utd go for a player who can play LW (a position very rarely required in the current 3-4-1-2 formation) or CAM (when Duffy and Dowell are already at the club), especially one who is unproven above L1 and has a reputation of being somewhat of a loose cannon (although that doesn't appear to be too much of a consideration for CW in light of a particular recent signing)?

This reeks of another Byrne, Morsy, Burn.... (who incidentally all ended up at Wigan - I wonder if their scouting team read this forum??)
He isn’t proven at higher levels no, but in all the comments I’ve heard about him, people seem to think he’s ready for the chance...

He isn’t proven at higher levels no, but in all the comments I’ve heard about him, people seem to think he’s ready for the chance...

That may well be the case SB but following CW getting stung last year by taking similar risks on thinking the better L1 players would be able to make the step-up and the constrained budget he's working to, I'd be amazed if he decides to take a £1m+ risk on Maddison.

With Dowell in and Madine on the verge of being confirmed, I'd have thought the next position to recruit to would be CB. Egan has been a rock but with Wright on his way out and Stearman looking way off, perhaps additional cover/competition is required, especially if a left-footer is recruited who could potentially also cover JOC and even Stevens as Bryan still looks to be a way-off full fitness following his injuries.

Callum Semple would not let us down if he had to step in a centre back.

That may well be the case SB but following CW getting stung last year by taking similar risks on thinking the better L1 players would be able to make the step-up and the constrained budget he's working to, I'd be amazed if he decides to take a £1m+ risk on Maddison.

With Dowell in and Madine on the verge of being confirmed, I'd have thought the next position to recruit to would be CB. Egan has been a rock but with Wright on his way out and Stearman looking way off, perhaps additional cover/competition is required, especially if a left-footer is recruited who could potentially also cover JOC and even Stevens as Bryan still looks to be a way-off full fitness following his injuries.
I agree, my next move would be defensive cover. However Dowell can only solve the CAM problem for the few months he is here, it would be a huge worry if we were to get where we want, into the prem and be resting on a 33 year old CAM as our only option, don’t get me wrong there’s time for investment in the summer if that is the case, but look how rush investment went for a team like Fulham? I feel it does make sense as he is a cover for more than just CAM and a permanent Duffy replacement is always on my mind.

Fulham changed the whole team though and we know what that does to you!
Slotting one, two or three new players into an established formation should not be a problem.

Fulham changed the whole team though and we know what that does to you!
Slotting one, two or three new players into an established formation should not be a problem.
Yeah Fulham was a bit different thinking about it, not really too comparable, just trying to justify it!

Just seen on the SSN ticker bar that Tomlin is due to sign for them on loan, it could be a case of a like for like - one in, one out.

Doubt it though,

Callum Semple would not let us down if he had to step in a centre back.

Haha Semple has just returned from a loan at QoS - it would be quite a jump from the Scottish Champ to the top end of the Champ (assuming he stays fit). I'd have thought another loan to possibly a L1 club would the next move for him rather than be cover for Egan.

Why would Utd go for a player who can play LW (a position very rarely required with CW's preference to stick to 3-4-1-2) or CAM (when Duffy and Dowell are already at the club), especially one who is unproven above L1 and has a reputation of being somewhat of a loose cannon (although that doesn't appear to be too much of a consideration for CW in light of a particular recent signing)?

Maybe the coaching staff feel they can turn him into a very good wingback?

Or alternatively, if another LWB is needed they could sign a LWB...

Very true I admit, but as an alternative view playing wing back is a very demanding role in our team & we require quality crosses for our strickers, & it is easier to coach defensive qualities into attacking players than the other way round. It was just a musing of mine though I don't actually expect it to happen whether I want it to or not.

He's swerved answering that question outright. But the way I read that is that one of the players is Maddison.

They have just signed Lee Tomlin from Cardiff - like-for-like replacement
If you read some of his other tweets on Maddison they are similar too, he said that he’ll “at least” be there for the game they have this week, with how the guy is on Twitter I think he’d of made it clearer if he was staying... he’s also said quite a few of the teams mentioned (I saw Leeds, reading and Bristol) have all not enquired so let’s see how it goes!

They have also just signed another midfielder on loan from Fleetwood.

Last edited:
Just saw this screenshot on twitter of what Maddison put on his "Instagram" tonight. He seems to be interested in coming here if we were to go in for him. Wilder wants to bring a wide man in to have that option (can play as a 10 also) so he could possibly be someone we are looking at if we have enough left in our budget to do a permanent. Not sure what he's valued at though.
IMG_20190121_204619.jpg

That’s very much a ‘let’s see if I can generate some noise’ post form him there.

Hard to see where he fits in but he’d be good competition at CAM and potentially LWB. Levels above Johnson. Thing is he’s predominantly a winger and we don’t use them.

Back
Top Bottom