Luke Freeman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thought he did ok tonight .. best if the 3 midfielders .. but would have preferred Besic to all 3 of em tonight

Genuinely mesmerised by the praise for Freeman. Anonymous for large parts, neshed a lot of tackles and aside from setting the goal up, I’d forgotten he was playing. None of the midfield three covered themselves in glory.

Fleck and Norwood are obviously are best two and will walk back into the side, quite rightly.

Genuinely mesmerised by the praise for Freeman. Anonymous for large parts, neshed a lot of tackles and aside from setting the goal up, I’d forgotten he was playing. None of the midfield three covered themselves in glory.

Fleck and Norwood are obviously are best two and will walk back into the side, quite rightly.
Correct. But we play with three midfielders. So who on current form i.e. the most recent performance, deserved to play the next game alongside Fleck and Norwood, from Freeman, Berge and Lundstram?

The only way I can see Luke Freeman making anything of his time here is if we play the AM again... Or... Play him in the Didzy role. I think he's a great player but there's no way he's breaking into that flat midfield 3.
Any thoughts? Try that in the FA cup game?
It would be a shame to see him go but feel this is another case of our improvement moving too fast for the player. Which of course is great for us by the way!
I thought he was trying hard as usual, worked well alongside JOC and Osborn and was probably the better of the midfield 3.

Berge seemed a bit lost at times, had plenty of touches, but he was almost playing in the back 3 and in that first half was so cagey on the ball that a great number of his touches were backwards as we tried to push play down the right and left CB's.

Lundstram, was OK, didn't think he was anything special, tried to work that right hand side

I don't think that midfield Trio worked, nobody was driving the tempo and all three seemed isolated. Freeman and Lunny in their wide clusters and Berge so deep that he was almost alongside Egan at times in the first half. It was telling that Didsy was dropping really deep to support him in there.

Second half was probably worse as Reading had much more of the ball and we didn't really have enough in Midfield to break it up and give them a problem

All three midfielders are good players, but they just didn't click together

As we're playing Norwich, a team we have previously done well against in the Championship, playing 3-4-1-2, why not just play Freeman in front of Fleck and Norwood?

It's not as if we are unfamiliar with that formation.

In fact the flat 3 with Norwood deeper is an adjustment this year from what was tried and tested the past 3 years.

We have 40 points now. We are at home and in matches where we need to take more initiative at home

If this were away then I'd all be for Berge.

But for me, and to sponsor some level of meritocracy, I see this as a game we can play 3-4-1-2 and where Freeman gets a chance to break through.

I like the fact he gets involved. If I remember rightly, with both goals down the left he had a hand in both.

Pick him there vs Norwich and then pick the game after based on merits and the standard of opposition. It's not as if Norwich are a hulking big side that knock you around.
This.

There has been a few games this season where I think we would have fog a better result by going back to 3-4-1-2, rather than the flat 3. Newcastle, Watford and Brighton are all games where we could have employed it.

For me he earned a start on Saturday. Considering the opposition and the fact Berge and Lunny were poor, he has to start

For me he earned a start on Saturday. Considering the opposition and the fact Berge and Lunny were poor, he has to start

The only way this could happen is a) he plays in the no.10 role b) we play a 5-2-1-2 formation. Neither is going to happen and there's no way he plays instead of Fleck.
He was good last night but he'll be on the bench again Saturday.

Correct. But we play with three midfielders. So who on current form i.e. the most recent performance, deserved to play the next game alongside Fleck and Norwood, from Freeman, Berge and Lundstram?

Sadly Freeman loses out in that equation due to being left footed. He’s direct competition for Fleck and isn’t going to dislodge him.

with Berge being groomed for the Norwood role and Lundstram holding out on his contract that right of the midfield 3 will be another signing we make in the summer.

said it before and been shit down but I’d like to see Freeman play just behind McBurnie

I think the most impressive part of Luke Freeman's display last night was he looked like he had the confidence of the regular starters. He's not had a sniff all season yet he looked fit and had a cockiness running with the ball. He was one of the few players trying to make things happen. Not everything paid off but him and Osborn showed that they can definitely be called upon when we get injuries.

I thought him and Osborn were superb under the circumstances based on how few minutes both have player, particularly recently.

I think the most impressive part of Luke Freeman's display last night was he looked like he had the confidence of the regular starters. He's not had a sniff all season yet he looked fit and had a cockiness running with the ball. He was one of the few players trying to make things happen. Not everything paid off but him and Osborn showed that they can definitely be called upon when we get injuries.

I thought him and Osborn were superb under the circumstances based on how few minutes both have player, particularly recently.

Must admit I was confused by him.
He certainly looked like quality going forward, however it was like the traffic lights turn to red and you stop.
He got up to the edge of the box and stopped and looked around and dillid and dallied and then turned around and played it backwards or sideways.
Maybe it was instructions from Wilder to get that far and look for the pass or cross. Thought he could have gone on a little further and taken a shot or drove into the penalty area a few times but he did not do it. Felt a bit disapointed by him overall.

Did himself really proud last night, perfect type of performance to put in.

He generally had a good game, was involved in both the goals, but did have some nesh moments and also made some poor decisions on the ball. It was not the type of performance that would warrant selection over Fleck any time soon, or departing from the formation we’ve started every game with in order to get him in. In fact if were to go down that road this season (which, to repeat again, is extremely unlikely) there’s a case that it should be McGoldrick that is given time in a No.10 role first.

Quality player, worthy of a start on Satday, probably won’t get one though unless Flecky is ruled out with injury

Looks a lot better centrally! Played to wide last night. The times were he did create more is when he was central.

What a problem to have.......Luke Freeman has had limited opportunities, seems grounded, and when asked, his replies have made it abundantly clear that he understands that a winning team is difficult to break into.......yet, even with all that, he still seems to be in peak fitness, played on the front foot at all times, and gave us that little bit of a spark when necessary last night.

I'm not about to question Wilder's nous, would be foolish in my view, but with a player this good surely we have to hold onto him? A better bet than Lunny to my eyes, and clearly capable of causing problems for the opposition in their box. Freeman's taken the step up from the Championship and has shown he's more than capable at this level. Where he'd fit in currently I'm not sure, but that's Wilder's conundrum to figure out so rather him than me........arguably the best squad I can recall us having, and we know it's going to get better with the resources we now have at our disposal.

He generally had a good game, was involved in both the goals, but did have some nesh moments and also made some poor decisions on the ball. It was not the type of performance that would warrant selection over Fleck any time soon, or departing from the formation we’ve started every game with in order to get him in. In fact if were to go down that road this season (which, to repeat again, is extremely unlikely) there’s a case that it should be McGoldrick that is given time in a No.10 role first.

This.

Freeman's main problems are that his defensive positioning isn't good enough and he's not quick enough, either in thought or action, for the Premier League. On the former, Reading were able to double up on Osborn a lot of the time in the first half because Freeman was too far infield. On the latter while it's beyond doubt that he's a skilful player he's just not quite quick enough to make it in the Premier League. His touch is 10cm too heavy and it's those fine margins which make the difference between the Championship and the PL: it's the same gap which Callum Robinson falls into.

What a problem to have.......Luke Freeman has had limited opportunities, seems grounded, and when asked, his replies have made it abundantly clear that he understands that a winning team is difficult to break into.......yet, even with all that, he still seems to be in peak fitness, played on the front foot at all times, and gave us that little bit of a spark when necessary last night.

I'm not about to question Wilder's nous, would be foolish in my view, but with a player this good surely we have to hold onto him? A better bet than Lunny to my eyes, and clearly capable of causing problems for the opposition in their box. Freeman's taken the step up from the Championship and has shown he's more than capable at this level. Where he'd fit in currently I'm not sure, but that's Wilder's conundrum to figure out so rather him than me........arguably the best squad I can recall us having, and we know it's going to get better with the resources we now have at our disposal.
Well he did look good last night but he has a problem and that is John Fleck. Fleck has been brill this season and to unseat him in the side is not an easy job .Can not see him Pushing Lunny out of the side either because Lunny is a right sided player where as Freeman is more left sided and it would mean playing him out of position.I agree that he looked better than Lunny last night but asking him to play in a position that is not his natural position is not really fair on him.

Well he did look good last night but he has a problem and that is John Fleck. Fleck has been brill this season and to unseat him in the side is not an easy job .Can not see him Pushing Lunny out of the side either because Lunny is a right sided player where as Freeman is more left sided and it would mean playing him out of position.I agree that he looked better than Lunny last night but asking him to play in a position that is not his natural position is not really fair on him.

You raise some good points charlie, but, and there's often a but.......what's fair and what's worth experimenting with are very separate matters. Agree, as most Blades will do, to dislodge Fleck just isn't going to happen, and as you say, on one game's display, and that against a Championship side, might seem an overreaction, but Luke looked quality, and as much as I've championed Lunny, even when his detractors were making hay while the sun shone, I'm still not completely convinced by Lunny's ability to offer the type of game we need. My point is that all the while we have great players playing well, then other squad members will need to be patient, it's what they're paid to do after all. But Wilder bought Luke because of what we've all seen him do, which is to add some spice and creativity to our game.

Whatever Wilder decides I'll back him, even if it's to sell Luke and buy someone else. There's always risk when this happens - in letting a good player leave the player that replaces him may turn out to be the lesser option - but on the whole Wilder has bought well so he deserves our support.

You raise some good points charlie, but, and there's often a but.......what's fair and what's worth experimenting with are very separate matters. Agree, as most Blades will do, to dislodge Fleck just isn't going to happen, and as you say, on one game's display, and that against a Championship side, might seem an overreaction, but Luke looked quality, and as much as I've championed Lunny, even when his detractors were making hay while the sun shone, I'm still not completely convinced by Lunny's ability to offer the type of game we need. My point is that all the while we have great players playing well, then other squad members will need to be patient, it's what they're paid to do after all. But Wilder bought Luke because of what we've all seen him do, which is to add some spice and creativity to our game.

Whatever Wilder decides I'll back him, even if it's to sell Luke and buy someone else. There's always risk when this happens - in letting a good player leave the player that replaces him may turn out to be the lesser option - but on the whole Wilder has bought well so he deserves our support.
Well I agree who in their right mind can question Wilder .The job he is doing is remarkable and as you say the players he has bought have generally been spot on apart from the odd one or two.I also could not question Wilders choices can not think of another guy who could have done better.I to think Freeman is to good to let go the problem is how can you fit him in.There seems to be opportunities down the right side but can not think of many down the left.Fleck and Stevens have got that side sewn up.

Well I agree who in their right mind can question Wilder .The job he is doing is remarkable and as you say the players he has bought have generally been spot on apart from the odd one or two.I also could not question Wilders choices can not think of another guy who could have done better.I to think Freeman is to good to let go the problem is how can you fit him in.There seems to be opportunities down the right side but can not think of many down the left.Fleck and Stevens have got that side sewn up.

Again, good points charlie,

As much as I value Fleck, what a player he is and we got him for free!......Stevens is my personal favourite, in my view he's on a par with the best that Europe has to throw up, that's how highly I rate him. We've got him in his peak years, so best to enjoy watching a player while he's this good. Technically excellent, fast, aware, inventive and creative, what else do we expect from a great player? Once Stevens leaves us, we'll be lucky to have a left wing-back this good for many a year.

I wonder if in line with the 'organised chaos' we play with, there might be occasions when Freeman could be given the freedom to pop up on either side of the pitch. With his abilities he would have the option of cutting in from the right and creating danger with being a left-footer, rather as Brooks was able to do. That would be a separate role to Fleck's, and would have the advantage of the opposition not knowing whether the ball was going wide for Baldock/Basham to cross right-footed, or Freeman cutting inside to cross or shoot left-footed. We do need more ways of breaking down massed defences.

The same Norwich team which we played last season with Dowell starting one and Ben Woodburn the other?
Or maybe the same Norwich team that have beaten Manchester City and Leicester THIS season whilst we haven't managed to beat either?

I wonder if in line with the 'organised chaos' we play with, there might be occasions when Freeman could be given the freedom to pop up on either side of the pitch. With his abilities he would have the option of cutting in from the right and creating danger with being a left-footer, rather as Brooks was able to do. That would be a separate role to Fleck's, and would have the advantage of the opposition not knowing whether the ball was going wide for Baldock/Basham to cross right-footed, or Freeman cutting inside to cross or shoot left-footed. We do need more ways of breaking down massed defences.
He had a free role at the back of the frontmen at QPR another good option for CW at his disposal

If we did have the midfield god that is Fleck he would get a lot more starts did very well last night

The only way I can see Luke Freeman making anything of his time here is if we play the AM again... Or... Play him in the Didzy role. I think he's a great player but there's no way he's breaking into that flat midfield 3.
Any thoughts? Try that in the FA cup game?
It would be a shame to see him go but feel this is another case of our improvement moving too fast for the player. Which of course is great for us by the way!

Agree about the Didzy role. This is the position where Freeman (for me) would be really suited. Didzy (for me) is a mixed player - sometimes outstanding, sometimes a bit headless chicken - and when it's the latter I'd like to see Freeman come in for him.

I was suprised we didnt see more of Freeman when Didzy was injured.

Agree about the Didzy role. This is the position where Freeman (for me) would be really suited. Didzy (for me) is a mixed player - sometimes outstanding, sometimes a bit headless chicken - and when it's the latter I'd like to see Freeman come in for him.

I was suprised we didnt see more of Freeman when Didzy was injured.
I’d guess it’s because part of Didsy’s role is to play with his back to goal, receive the ball and lay it off or move it forwards. He’s a striker who drops into midfield at times. Freeman is an attacking midfielder/winger and I’ve not really seen him playing with his back to goal, I don’t think it’s really in his skill set.

Back
Top Bottom