Match Thread Liverpool v. Sheffield United - 24th October 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LIV
LIV
LIV

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1603394535083.png v. 1603394546915.png
EPL Week 6 - Saturday 24th October 2020 - Anfield

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/liverpool-vs-sheffield-united.514/

Officials:

Referee:
Mike Dean
Assistant Referee: Darren Cann
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Andy Madley
Video Assistant Referee: Andre Marriner
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Scott Ledger

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:
Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 20.24.38.png

Also available via Sky Sports Box Office:

How to access Sky Sports Box Office​

Sky (Channel 492): Sign up for a Sky Sports Box Office account here. Here you can book your events, then you must make a choice: purchase the event or match for viewing on TV via your set top box or opt for a streaming version - available via computer, mobile and tablet devices - you can not order both options.
Virgin Media: Use your TiVo box to go directly to the box office event list: Home to On Demand to Live Events.
BT (Channel 496): Go directly to this channel and expect the fee to be added to your bill - you cannot order from Sky as a BT customer.

It's both the best and worst possible time to play Liverpool.

They are smarting from a heavy defeat and then a bonkers derby that could have repercussions for the entire season (with VVD) and will be wanting to get back to winning ways. On the flip side, they rival us for most Jekyll and Hyde performances pre/post lockdown. Saw a stat that said they'd conceded more goals in the last 12 games than any other team in the league.

Without Van Dyke and with a midfielder at centre half they have to be vulnerable in the air. For that reason I think McBurnie starts despite not being able to his a barn door v Fulham. Surely Brewster will start with him?

I'd go with Berge, Lunny and Osbourn in midfield as we are going to have to run all day and I think Norwood will just be bypassed if he plays.

Rest of team same as started v Fulham if Lowe is available.

If we want to get anything out of the game we have to be strategic in how we use our energy first and foremost. Against Fulham our midfield were struggling after 55 minutes because of the amount of running they did, so now against a side where we are going to be chasing the ball down most of the time trying to get a touch of it, It's not ideal at all. It's vital that we get the balance right between pressing and containing our shape against these, if we press too much we shoot ourselves in the foot because we tire and they have the quality to play through it.

Why is it that Leeds and Liverpool seem to be able to keep up the "press" for the full 90 minutes, but we are Knackered half an hour before that..? Something needs addressing in the fitness department looking at it.

Forget the win. I just want to see us to score another goal from open play.
I used to have the video of the great escape season, Brian Deane scored a goal the first in about 5 games and there was a pitch invasion!
(Just going to check the stats now...)

I used to have the video of the great escape season, Brian Deane scored a goal the first in about 5 games and there was a pitch invasion!
(Just going to check the stats now...)
90-91
We scored in the first half in a 2-1 defeat to Wimbledon on 6 Oct, the next league goal was 8 games later (1 Dec) again in the first half in a 2-1 defeat to Villa, so although not perfectly accurate not having times of goals it was 9 games, 810 minutes between goals.

Why is it that Leeds and Liverpool seem to be able to keep up the "press" for the full 90 minutes, but we are Knackered half an hour before that..? Something needs addressing in the fitness department looking at it.

Because Leeds and Liverpool didn't lose their first four matches.

You'd be surprised how much more stamina you seem to have when you're winning.

Without Van Dyke and with a midfielder at centre half they have to be vulnerable in the air. For that reason I think McBurnie starts despite not being able to his a barn door v Fulham. Surely Brewster will start with him?

I'd go with Berge, Lunny and Osbourn in midfield as we are going to have to run all day and I think Norwood will just be bypassed if he plays.

Rest of team same as started v Fulham if Lowe is available.
They will tear right through the middle of us today if Norwood is deep.
We might not have pace in the middle be we can atleast put some tenacity in there.

Agree with you in the air, just need McBurnie to take his chances. I definitely wouldn't be dropping him. Especially if Lowe is available.

This is my prediction for the match against Liverpool. Please comment and share. I have a controversial point on McGoldrick so let me know if you agree, thanks all the best.

Because Leeds and Liverpool didn't lose their first four matches.

You'd be surprised how much more stamina you seem to have when you're winning.
Well we weren't losing against Fulham but we were out on our feet. It must be a mental issue then if we can only press for 90 minutes only if we ar winning..!!!

Wilder used to bang on about ‘having a right good go at teams’ and when we did that last season we looked a different side. Leeds do it and Villa do it and I don’t think either are any better than us.
This season we have turned up for some games looking like we are an average championship side who have got a good draw in the cup.
Much must be down to confidence but some criticism must be levelled at the management.
Lets hope Brewster plays between the posts and doesn’t spend time he tting involved in the wings like Billy and McB seem to.
Oh - and fucking shoot from outside the box now and then please!

A point would be magnificent but I can't see anythi8ng other than an easy win for Liverpool. They simply have too much pace and directness upfront.

8 o'clock on a Saturday evening is no time to play a football match.
I'm going off the boil already...

Have to play Burke so we have a threat in behind or they will push up on us. Don't think we will get hammered

The January game we were in awe of them, like rabbits in the headlights. Our confidence hasn't been the same since. So a comfortable win for them sadly. They're gettable though, if we play our game, not theirs.

need Burke and Brewster up front
think we’ll get beat comfortably but might score one in last 10 mins

I just hope we give it a bit of a go, I’d rather lose trying win the match than park the bus and end up losing anyway.

Agreed. Last seasons match at Anfield was a procession for them. Mainly because they were head and shoulders above any other team in the league and were comfortably top in January. We had shown ourselves to be a solid Prem team by then and we showed them too much respect.

This time we must show some balls and attack or could it could be a very long 90 minutes .

UTB !

I have a nasty feeling I'll regret spending the £15 come 21:45 ish! 🙈

Spent 15 quid to watch the game on an IPhone 📱

Got a feeling we might nick a result toneet

No better time to play Liverpool reckon Klopp will make a few changes and VVD has passed away

UTB

Given the other contract clauses, I’m surprised that there isn’t one (or at least a gentleman’s agreement) prohibiting Brewster from playing against them.

The beer is on hand,the wife is cooking up a storm in the kitchen,and the sun is shining.

Call me crazy but I just have a feeling we will nick this one.

UTB

Can we nick the wheels of their bus.....

ohhhh wait
DOHHHHhhhhhhhh

I said I wasn’t really bothered about the result of the Liverpool game, just wanted a good performance and maybe a goal.
Well it’s just under 2 hours before kick off and I’ve got an awful feeling of dread and foreboding.....or for the handful of piggie interlopers...shitting myself.

Going to be very tough with JOC and Fleck missing.Lowe out with a concussion and doesn't look like Burke is available as he didn't appear in any of the club's training videos this week.
Just keep it close and give it our best.

Back
Top Bottom