Match Thread Liverpool v. Sheffield United - 24th October 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LIV
LIV
LIV

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1603394535083.png v. 1603394546915.png
EPL Week 6 - Saturday 24th October 2020 - Anfield

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/liverpool-vs-sheffield-united.514/

Officials:

Referee:
Mike Dean
Assistant Referee: Darren Cann
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Andy Madley
Video Assistant Referee: Andre Marriner
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Scott Ledger

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:
Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 20.24.38.png

Also available via Sky Sports Box Office:

How to access Sky Sports Box Office​

Sky (Channel 492): Sign up for a Sky Sports Box Office account here. Here you can book your events, then you must make a choice: purchase the event or match for viewing on TV via your set top box or opt for a streaming version - available via computer, mobile and tablet devices - you can not order both options.
Virgin Media: Use your TiVo box to go directly to the box office event list: Home to On Demand to Live Events.
BT (Channel 496): Go directly to this channel and expect the fee to be added to your bill - you cannot order from Sky as a BT customer.

This is a Liverpool team that just lost 7 2 to villa they are in a bad spell and we couldn't capitalise on it... We have nothing up front.. Mcburnie and Burke have physical aspects to their game but their finishing is conference level .. Its clear as day we just can't score.. We have the worst set of strikers in the league

Cheer up Pal it could be worse, you could support that lot from S6.

Fuck!! What a shame, first sign of ability to survive in this league luckily however two questions for this prestigious forum:

Dumbass Leeds social media guy who cocks up 80-90% of the time -Good work rate however has missed so many chances in these last few games it’s becoming cringeworthy, panic headers, generally slow, too lanky to control any ball - particularly from the back. Shouldn’t we just sell the shit cunt or keep on the bench?

Manager - Sorry but now losing badly haven’t we got to start to criticise some of his decision making processes. 2 strikers on as subs when the mid field are blowing like city sauna ? Who’s going to feed them balls? Is he too Sheffield, for Sheffield UTD in his thinking? Cos that’s what I’d do too, but it doesn’t work.

Filled with hope & dread at the same time.

help !

Hate to say it but this season has got relegation written all over it.. We've got into the habit of losing and even when we play well we find a way of losing

We've just outplayed the champions and probably the best team in Europe for the last 2 years :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Great performance.

Makes up for that shitshow last season at Anfield, had a go at them and made plenty of chances.

We can play some neat stuff but our final ball/our players anticipation really let's us down.

Issues:

McBurnie: not fit or in form, falls over unconvincingly. Wins every header to be fair but I think Burke could do that too, and offer pace.

Stevens: I was glad to see him over Robinson but he can't jump. He got done the same way against Wolves I think. Don't know what the solution is because we don't have anyone else at LCB.

Positives:

Baldock: fantastic determination from him as always. Seems to be more confident in his attacking ability, less dithering on the ball.

Berge: man mountain, and pure quality. Tired though, shows up our lack of quality depth when Lunny is on the pitch already. Would have been great to get Besic for cheap.

Osborn: saves our bacon sometimes with his pace and terrier attitude. Great player, just missing consistency.

Going forward we need to sack off the flat 3, we've just played Liverpool with 2 strikers and a 10 for 20 minutes or so and made chances, and didn't look any worse defensively.

Just play Ampadu and Berge in the middle, those two plus our back 5 is plenty of defensive cover. Let's get after teams.

Hopefully we take the positives from that.
Thank you! I’ve been saying that a 10 doesn’t weaken us defensively since we came up!

I cant take this anymore, sick of always losing.

We played well tonight but once again couldnt score, we've scored once in open play in 6 games.... once! Saying we played well after every game but still losing isnt going to keep us up, something has to change and quickly.

We've spent decent money the past couple of seasons, i domt accept every other team in the the premier league has a better squad than us, about time we start to get a return on the prince's investment.

Really breaks my heart seeing the table, desperately want the team and CWAK to do well, I want to keep the faith but its rapidly leaving me.

Probably just the wine talking tonight.... fed up.

If you genuinely expected anything other than our winless streak continuing tonight you must have been on the wine pretty early. Always about the performance tonight, and we put one in.

I was encouraged by that. A lot of heart and good passing and movement especially in the last 20 mins. Sander should definately had another pen how on earth that wasn't given was a joke. The handball would probaly have been given if it wasn't LiVARpool. So I think there wa a lot of positives. Also that a recent Champions League and current champions defended so deep against us. I was therefore a good performance.

On the positive side, we were in a game with the champions for 90 minutes.

Liverpool, however, were pretty awful by their own high standards and played only a little better than their thrashing at Villa. Some of that is down to how we pressed them, but mostly not. We forced Alisson into one? save, which was fairly simple. 1 goal from open play in 6 games...For me, there were no penalties in that game. We got a lucky break for once.

Ramsdale - 5.5 - Sorry, he can't throw a major error into every game. We should have been one down within minutes when he came rushing out to the edge of the box and got nowhere near it. Hard for him to do much on their first given how close the shot came in from. Made a couple of decent stops but needs to improve a lot. He seems to do something idiotic every game.
Osbourn - 7 - Did really well at LWB. Got up and down. Some of his attacking play could have, and should have, been more incisive but a really useful versatile player
Stevens - 8 - MOM for me despite his mistake. He has a huge problem in a back 3 and that's his aerial ability. Other thant that, I thought he was immense. In the right place at the right time so many times. Considering this is not his position, I was really impressed. Also still offers a lot going forward.
Egan - 7 - Made some really important block and looked really solid when we needed it.
Baldock - 7 - He neds to stop looking for fights but once he settled he was very good. Defended a huge threat very well. Less good going forward but not surprising. He did offer much of our attacking threat for 60 minutes though.
Basham - 6.5 - Lucky not to get booked early doors when he took Mane out for no reason. A few flaky moments but managed to recover to make amends.
Ampadu - 6 - foreign position and it showed, for me. Passing was poor and so many misplaced simple passes. Did better on the defensive end and tracked their players well.
Berge - 6 - He wants far too much time on the ball. Reminds me of Coutts a lot in the way he protects a ball but Coutts wasn;t playing against some of the better players in the world. Lovely crisp passer but needs to be much quicker to react.
Lunny - 5 - Lopes around. Does some good things ont eh ball and gets in some good positions but is poor at tracking other players and slows the play down as always has to take a touch. For a guy who can use two feet, loves to take a touch to put it on his right and slows the play right down. On more than one occasion he lost his man and generally ambled back into the general right area. He's just not good enough.
McBurnie - 7 - They were shit in the air at the back. Absolute dogshit without VVD. McBurnie won every header and put himself about. Much better performance on the last few games. More committed.
Brewster - 5 - I saw nothing today from him to say why he should be starting ahead of Burke or McGoldrick. Its very early days but the ball just seems to bounce off him. He had some decent link-up play with McBurnie and going to the right places but looks completely unsure when on the ball. He'll no doubt get much better but not sure he deserves to be starting.

Burke - 7 - Did a great job of pressing a very shaky Liverpool defence. We looked so much better with him on the pitch and yet he completely messed up a really good chance. I just don't buy him scoring goals. He looks devoid of confidence. He certainly has a good footballing brain though.
McGoldrick - 6.5 - I thought we looked a lot more joined up with him on the pitch. We also stopped missing out midfield. Had a good chance which he should have done better with.

This is a Liverpool team that just lost 7 2 to villa they are in a bad spell and we couldn't capitalise on it... We have nothing up front.. Mcburnie and Burke have physical aspects to their game but their finishing is conference level .. Its clear as day we just can't score.. We have the worst set of strikers in the league

That's not form though is it? That's an aberration.

The 10 point breakdown
  1. Look fitter and starting to see the blades of old
  2. McBurnie won just about everything
  3. Had plenty of opportunities
  4. Stevens was hot and cold, burke is fast and white.
  5. Ampadu gives us more control, helps us build from the back.
  6. VAR
  7. Berge is still head and shoulders
  8. Liverpool don’t have to play well, their good at football
  9. Get more beers out
  10. Shag your lass
11. Get brewers droop

Outplayed? Really??? We weren’t bad Like but wouldn’t say outplayed em

First half you could argue we did, over the course of the game, not so much.

A lot more dangerous than form, and last season's fixture, would have suggested though.

Outplayed? Really??? We weren’t bad Like but wouldn’t say outplayed em
Shows how subjective watching football is I suppose, I saw mcburnie feck up so many chances every time he got the
Ball passed to him but the guy above saw winning headers & a 7/10 rating? Strange innit ?

On the positive side, we were in a game with the champions for 90 minutes.

Liverpool, however, were pretty awful by their own high standards and played only a little better than their thrashing at Villa. Some of that is down to how we pressed them, but mostly not. We forced Alisson into one? save, which was fairly simple. 1 goal from open play in 6 games...For me, there were no penalties in that game. We got a lucky break for once.

Ramsdale - 5.5 - Sorry, he can't throw a major error into every game. We should have been one down within minutes when he came rushing out to the edge of the box and got nowhere near it. Hard for him to do much on their first given how close the shot came in from. Made a couple of decent stops but needs to improve a lot. He seems to do something idiotic every game.
Osbourn - 7 - Did really well at LWB. Got up and down. Some of his attacking play could have, and should have, been more incisive but a really useful versatile player
Stevens - 8 - MOM for me despite his mistake. He has a huge problem in a back 3 and that's his aerial ability. Other thant that, I thought he was immense. In the right place at the right time so many times. Considering this is not his position, I was really impressed. Also still offers a lot going forward.
Egan - 7 - Made some really important block and looked really solid when we needed it.
Baldock - 7 - He neds to stop looking for fights but once he settled he was very good. Defended a huge threat very well. Less good going forward but not surprising. He did offer much of our attacking threat for 60 minutes though.
Basham - 6.5 - Lucky not to get booked early doors when he took Mane out for no reason. A few flaky moments but managed to recover to make amends.
Ampadu - 6 - foreign position and it showed, for me. Passing was poor and so many misplaced simple passes. Did better on the defensive end and tracked their players well.
Berge - 6 - He wants far too much time on the ball. Reminds me of Coutts a lot in the way he protects a ball but Coutts wasn;t playing against some of the better players in the world. Lovely crisp passer but needs to be much quicker to react.
Lunny - 5 - Lopes around. Does some good things ont eh ball and gets in some good positions but is poor at tracking other players and slows the play down as always has to take a touch. For a guy who can use two feet, loves to take a touch to put it on his right and slows the play right down. On more than one occasion he lost his man and generally ambled back into the general right area. He's just not good enough.
McBurnie - 7 - They were shit in the air at the back. Absolute dogshit without VVD. McBurnie won every header and put himself about. Much better performance on the last few games. More committed.
Brewster - 5 - I saw nothing today from him to say why he should be starting ahead of Burke or McGoldrick. Its very early days but the ball just seems to bounce off him. He had some decent link-up play with McBurnie and going to the right places but looks completely unsure when on the ball. He'll no doubt get much better but not sure he deserves to be starting.

Burke - 7 - Did a great job of pressing a very shaky Liverpool defence. We looked so much better with him on the pitch and yet he completely messed up a really good chance. I just don't buy him scoring goals. He looks devoid of confidence. He certainly has a good footballing brain though.
McGoldrick - 6.5 - I thought we looked a lot more joined up with him on the pitch. We also stopped missing out midfield. Had a good chance which he should have done better with.
6 for berge, fuckin hell man he was the most composed player on the park.

Shows how subjective watching football is I suppose, I saw mcburnie feck up so many chances every time he got the
Ball passed to him but the guy above saw winning headers & a 7/10 rating? Strange innit ?

Maybe not outplayed but i doubt you will see a team go to anfiled and perform like that much this season

Excellent performance yes Mcburnie missed one half decent chance in the 1st Half

Mcburnies game isn't scoring 20 goals a season he is an all round striker who links up play

6 for berge, fuckin hell man he was the most composed player on the park.

By composed do you mean slow to react? He's a very good technical footballer. I'm not sure that he did much tonight. Certainly been one of our better players this season so far though. I want him to be more decisive and direct though. He mostly seems unsure on the ball.

Maybe not outplayed but i doubt you will see a team go to anfiled and perform like that much this season

Excellent performance yes Mcburnie missed one half decent chance in the 1st Half

Mcburnies game isn't scoring 20 goals a season he is an all round striker who links up play
Leeds had more possession than Liverpool and scored 3 goals at Anfield. The end result was the same but they had a bit more of a go than we did.

He won every header and was a nuisance all game (they were terrible at the back, you can see why Villa scored 7) but his attempt to score for that chance was laughably bad. Pub football bad. Truly dire. He should have hit it first time. Had a 50/50 chance of scoring with a toe poke. Instead, made a complete hash of it.

Talking to my scouse mate... he believed we deserved something from that game and said we’d be more than comfortable this season.
And I agree! I think the first pen was dubious at the very least, but we deserved another one truth be told. We played really well. Ampadu in the holding role, Berge was absolute class, Osborn at LWB... all massive positives! We looked like a really good Prem team tonight and I’ve never been so happy after losing a game. Onwards and upwards fellow Blades! UTB

Problem is his game isn't scoring 3 goals a season at the moment

Maybe... Leeds put 3 past them too.. They just look off it to me.. A top form Liverpool side would have ripped us to shreds

It has been really odd seeing them be so poor the last few games. Players who are genuinely world class seem incapable of making the right decisions. If they'd gone at us through the middle they'd have torn us to shreds but they look devoid of confidence or ideas. Strange transformation rom last season. They'd have been two up after 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom