Lewis O’brien

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A good player.

Are these concerns:

• Not great stats for goals or assists.
  • 5'8, like most of our other midfielders.

Note that I also think players with that height, and shorter, can be fabulous. I also agree that Berge is poor in the air and weak in challenges for a big man.

But it may not be ideal to have only small midfielders to select from, remembering we've just been bullied by a non league side. Thoughts?
We've been missing a 6 foot plus left footed midfield player for a while now. Thats why I'm watching closely the development of young Brooks as he fits the requirements and looks a bit of a unit. We've lacked someone who can win the ball in the air and second balls in the middle. Playing 3 small midfielders in the championship can be compensated for if you have defenders who are good in the air. Clark looks to be the best header of a ball after Egan and he's out. Bash and Anel are weak in this area. Then again I've been hopeful young Gomis at 6 foot 3 LCB would kick on but he's been farmed out to Beerschot.

Add in a flappy goalie and Wrexham to their credit exploited our weakness which has been apparent for some time. We were poor last season in the air at the back and I'm surprised championship teams haven't tried to exploit this more this season.

As for O'Brien he's not here yet but left footed midfield players are in short supply and his energy and work rate will hopefully reduce the second half fade outs. He's a fully fit younger version of Fleck. It won't happen but being greedy if we were to bring in 2 in the middle of the park that would strengthen us significantly. James Garner at Everton was one of the best in the championship last season for Forest. 6 foot and right footed a more like for like replacement for Berge. If we were to go up, its an if at the moment imo with whats happening off field, we will need bigger, stronger and more mobile midfielders. Logic and financial constraints suggest PH has to have a look at Coulibaly during the remaining games.

yes forgot about garner but think hes similar to doyle so doubt we would go for him

Agree.

We'd still need to sign one more to fill the hole left by Berge & Khadra. A right footed attacking midfielder.

Harry Wilson, although a leftie, plays on the right and would be an interesting makeweight if we deal with Fulham. Only as a loan.
Ndiaye on the right and McAtee on the left? Still leaves us a bit short in the backup department and possibly relying too much on Mcatee, but that gives us:

Bogle---Norwood---o'Brien---Lowe
---Ndiaye---Mcburnie---McAtee---

Why are you all getting excited this is sheffield united ,in some way it always fucks up

fuck-this-shit-itm-outta-here-shit-wrong-way-21628761.png

Pretty sure Everton spent about £120 million on Garner.

A good player.

Are these concerns:

• Not great stats for goals or assists.
  • 5'8, like most of our other midfielders.

Note that I also think players with that height, and shorter, can be fabulous. I also agree that Berge is poor in the air and weak in challenges for a big man.

But it may not be ideal to have only small midfielders to select from, remembering we've just been bullied by a non league side. Thoughts?
I watched his highlights earlier to remind me of his skillset and he's built very much like Osborn, albeit looks better on the ball.

We don't have much physical presence in midfield at all if Berge goes. Coulibaly could potentially fill that role but I've still no idea of he's good enough or not.

A destructive midfielder has been missing for a long time now. Think O'Brien provides some mobility but not much else physically.

We've been missing a 6 foot plus left footed midfield player for a while now. Thats why I'm watching closely the development of young Brooks as he fits the requirements and looks a bit of a unit. We've lacked someone who can win the ball in the air and second balls in the middle. Playing 3 small midfielders in the championship can be compensated for if you have defenders who are good in the air. Clark looks to be the best header of a ball after Egan and he's out. Bash and Anel are weak in this area. Then again I've been hopeful young Gomis at 6 foot 3 LCB would kick on but he's been farmed out to Beerschot.

Add in a flappy goalie and Wrexham to their credit exploited our weakness which has been apparent for some time. We were poor last season in the air at the back and I'm surprised championship teams haven't tried to exploit this more this season.

As for O'Brien he's not here yet but left footed midfield players are in short supply and his energy and work rate will hopefully reduce the second half fade outs. He's a fully fit younger version of Fleck. It won't happen but being greedy if we were to bring in 2 in the middle of the park that would strengthen us significantly. James Garner at Everton was one of the best in the championship last season for Forest. 6 foot and right footed a more like for like replacement for Berge. If we were to go up, its an if at the moment imo with whats happening off field, we will need bigger, stronger and more mobile midfielders. Logic and financial constraints suggest PH has to have a look at Coulibaly during the remaining games.
All agreed especially our weakness in the air ... Basham at LCB is not adequate cover and we simply have no cover for Egan.
If Clark were a car I would have taken him back to the garage to have hamstrings replaced under warranty.

I might be in a minority that's not that blown away by Doyle.
If he was an academy lad I'd be excited by him as a long term prospect, but given he's only here for the year I think he's still got a long way to go.

Still think he has a lot to offer to the mission, but I wouldn't want us to blow any more than £6/7m on him if we went up.

I'm with you on that. Tidy player but McAtee now looks the better prospect (different players of course). Doyle takes a good corner bit rarely assists or scores in general play and his retention of the ball is mixed. He also fades daily every game and looks knackered after an hour. Some promise but a long way off a Premier League player.

Is this guy not playing most weeks for Forest. 13 EPL appearances in 19 or 20 games.

Have they signed a bunch of players to push him out?

I'm with you on that. Tidy player but McAtee now looks the better prospect (different players of course). Doyle takes a good corner bit rarely assists or scores in general play and his retention of the ball is mixed. He also fades daily every game and looks knackered after an hour. Some promise but a long way off a Premier League player.

... and that's without getting into his off the ball play, which is often indisciplined and leaves Norwood (and us) exposed.

I like the kid, he's got plenty in the locker. I'm sure he'll have a very solid career (as a minimum, at this level). I couldn't confidently say much more than that on the evidence I've seen.

Can't believe you lot are getting all excited about a player who can only muster a 4 or 5 page thread at this stage. He's no Maupay or Brewster, that's for sure.

Can’t believe Fallowfield has pulled a thread out the bag that isn’t a wind up

Can't believe you lot are getting all excited about a player who can only muster a 4 or 5 page thread at this stage. He's no Maupay or Brewster, that's for sure.

Ah but we did talk about him a few years ago.

lot of sceptism on here about this lad but think it would be a very good signing for us
Not to be too defeatist, but he'd be a great one to get relegated with

Even 10m would be a relatively safe spend imo that could save us money in the long run, a bit like if we'd spent 10m on Norwood

Not saying we couldn't get better for this sort of money but when you have a domestic, local player who fits like a glove, is a good age and one you'd back to be a long term stalwart ala Egan/Norwood, it makes a lot of sense

Not to be too defeatist, but he'd be a great one to get relegated with

Even 10m would be a relatively safe spend imo that could save us money in the long run, a bit like if we'd spent 10m on Norwood

Not saying we couldn't get better for this sort of money but when you have a domestic, local player who fits like a glove, is a good age and one you'd back to be a long term stalwart ala Egan/Norwood, it makes a lot of sense
yes see your point but seems like blackburn moving in now for him if berges going it needs to be completed quickly now so we can get o brien over the line otherwise we will miss him

If he goes to Blackburn it will only be at the last minute after giving us every chance to get it done

yes see your point but seems like blackburn moving in now for him if berges going it needs to be completed quickly now so we can get o brien over the line otherwise we will miss him

The problem though is that Fulham might now feel that they are the only club showing interest in Berge.
They might also think we are desperate to sell.

So Fulham's ball park valuation of Berge was £20 to £25 million and that's what they were initially prepared to spend.
However they might try some brinkmanship and offer us a knock down £12 million
with a potential extra £5 million in add-ons...final offer....take it or leave it.
We might have already told them, no deal at £12 million, so Fulham have now gone away to look at other players.

You would think the powers within the club must hate the final day of the JTW, bet all kinds of shenanigans and games go on.
You can imagine us waiting by the phone....we called Fulham bluff but expect them to come back with an increased offer.

Last edited:
Really worried about the embargo being extended if we don’t pay it. O’Brien is quality and would be a top signing but after seeing that Berge is training as normal I get the feeling nothing is happening?

Back
Top Bottom