Lewis O’brien

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He'd probably go and link back up with Corberan, over coming here where he wouldn't be guaranteed of being a starter. Very good player though and I'd love it if we could, but I just can't see it.

One of those obvious ones you try to get if available. He'd be just like Fleck was alongside Norwood when we got promoted

Even if we need a striker more, we should sign him instead if any striker wouldn't be the same calibre

Expect him to go elsewhere though, like the other obvious PL loans

Wallace, O'Brien and Swift in midfield. That would be ridiculous

He is one whose high fitness and work rate stands out in the championship but lack of athleticism and size stand out in the PL

We could do better if promoted but I'd have no problem committing to a promotion conditional permanent deal regardless

Better than Norwood?

Norwood's different gravy at this level.
But O'Brien would offer something different, that would compliment what Norwood lacks. His playing style isn't dissimilar to prime-Fleck, he harries, carries, but has a lot of quality on the ball. Left footer too, would add a lot of balance.

Different players and he was better last season

Norwood is great but there is a reason he has played his entire career in the championship bar us

If we are building a team for the prem/future obrien is a top player
O'Brien would be a great addition. Would certainly make us stronger. He would be challenging Doyle/McAtee for a start, and Fleck if he was fit.

He’ll go to West Brom, he’d expect to go straight into the first team but we’ve Norwood Doyle mcatee and berge ahead of him.

very good player would fit the fleck role perfectly although with mcatee settling in to that role probably unlikely would be a great signing for baggies

He'd go straight in as first choice and fit in perfectly too. Doyle hasn't done enough to dictate otherwise

He'd go straight in as first choice and fit in perfectly too. Doyle hasn't done enough to dictate otherwise

In an ideal world, if we signed someone like him, I'd see it as:

2 X CM from: Norwood, O'Brien, Doyle, Berge, Fleck, Osborn, Coulibaly, Brooks.

2x AM from: Ndiaye, McAtee, Berge, Doyle

1x CF from: Ndiaye, McBurnie, Jebbison, Brewster, Sharp, Osula.

In that sort of order.

So starters would be:
..............Norwood.....O'Brien
.......Ndiaye..................McAtee
.....................McBurnie

O'Brien would be a great signing - perfect fit for our system. Loan-to-buy at a slightly inflated price if we go up would be a good deal. West Brom are in a mess financially - I don't see how they could arrange a similar deal.

In that sort of order.

So starters would be:
So starters should be:
Berge...........Norwood.....O'Brien
........................Ndiaye

Would be a much better fit alongside Norwood than Berge has been when we try to shoehorn him in to the deeper role. I would be fine with moving Berge on and bringing O'Brien in thus allowing McAtee free reign at the advanced role alongside N'Diaye and McBurnie.

Can't see anyone paying us more than £10m tops for Berge though so it won't happen.

Or alternatively if Rangers are genuinely interested in Fleck then would moving him out allow us to make a signing like O'Brien happen?

Last edited:
Norwood's different gravy at this level.
But O'Brien would offer something different, that would compliment what Norwood lacks. His playing style isn't dissimilar to prime-Fleck, he harries, carries, but has a lot of quality on the ball. Left footer too, would add a lot of balance.

If he's left footed, he'll end up injured before he kicks a ball for us. :(

Never heard of him. Dont need another injad jinja ninja either.

O’Brien would come here and expect to play week in week out. Can we guarantee him that?

Norwood & McAtee are in form & we’re paying Berge big money so I doubt we’d drop one of them? Then you’ve got Doyle & the possibility of Osborn / Fleck returning soonish.

We need a CAM back up to NDiaye or another Striker to go two up top.

O’Brien would come here and expect to play week in week out. Can we guarantee him that?

Norwood & McAtee are in form & we’re paying Berge big money so I doubt we’d drop one of them? Then you’ve got Doyle & the possibility of Osborn / Fleck returning soonish.

We need a CAM back up to NDiaye or another Striker to go two up top.

I think he's good enough that you could guarantee that. He's streets ahead of Fleck & Osborn and we play with two CMs.
He was Huddersfield's best player last season when they finished 3rd.

It would leave 3 positions to be competed for (in reality) by McBurnie, Ndiaye, McAtee & Berge.

Its sadly all irrelevant though as we can't transfer in right now. I think he'll end up back with his old manager at WBA.

I think he's good enough that you could guarantee that. He's streets ahead of Fleck & Osborn and we play with two CMs.
He was Huddersfield's best player last season when they finished 3rd.

It would leave 3 positions to be competed for (in reality) by McBurnie, Ndiaye, McAtee & Berge.

Its sadly all irrelevant though as we can't transfer in right now. I think he'll end up back with his old manager at WBA.
Yes I agree, he's definitely better than Fleck & Osborn, I just dont think its a player we're desperate for and we'll only sign someone for a position that we are desperate due to finances.

Even though I think Utd remain a quality CM short (with only Norwood, Doyle and Berge being fit and of the required standard), I think a striker would take priority. If however the budget stretched to two players, or there was another departure that freed-up additional budget, I think O'Brien would be a great shout and perhaps one for next season on a perm and as a replacement for Fleck should Utd get up.

However, by all the time that happens, I expect he'll be unveiled as WBA's loan signing.

striker has to be our priority if weve anything in the kitty but o brien would be an amazing loan signing if weve got the cash i think it could all come down to how much a parent club would pay the salary

In that sort of order.

So starters would be:
That has "easy promotion" written all over it

Especially with Bogle starting as well more often than not

Which again just makes it so frustrating to be hamstrung recruitment wise. In any normal situation we'd be guaranteed promotion from here. All we need to do is half replicate Jan 2019

What's happened to that other CM who looked good for Huddersfield, Russell? Looked a real threat at set pieces but could also play as well

It would be an obvious signing. But it seems we will only be going for a forward to replace Khadra. Still one for next season, whatever division we are in.

Good job WBA made a terrible start. Hopefully the new manager bounce ends soon but both them and Boro worry me. Both sides have been on a charge and they are both linked to very good players so far this window.

Back
Top Bottom