Incoming? Lee Gregory

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I look at West Brom's first goal against us (Barry's). It was the pace of Harvey Barnes over 10 yards or so that made the opportunity. Barnes is quick over longer distances than that, but it was no more than a 10 yard burst that led to that goal.

Regardless of your style of play, pace over shorter distances will always give you an advantage.

Fan A: "We need some pace!"
Fan B: "No ... you don't need pace ... pace only matters over longer distances"
Fan A: "I want a player who can beat a man with pace, who can hang on the last shoulder and win the race to through balls"
Fan B: "Pace over 5 or 10 yards is what you want"
Fan A: "Yeah, exactly. Pace. Where can we get something with pa.."
Fan B: "You see, when Harvey Barnes helped create that goal against us, it was his pace over.."
Fan A: "Look, I just want a fast striker. Sorry if I initially implied I needed a 100m runner. We both know what we mean here."
Fan B: "That acceleration, that quickness of Barnes really ma.."

*Fan A leaves table, heads to the bar*

I appreciate the point you're making, Ricky, but I think everyone means the same thing.

I'm guessing that was a dig at me.

Ok i'll bite.

I was making a point about a player that is not renowned to be quick, but is statistically very quick - two types of pace, short and long distance.

The fact he once played for us is completely coincidental.

How about medium distance?;)

A couple of fast players come to mind, Steve Wigley and Franz Carr. Both ex-Forest coincidentally. I'm not sure what distance they were fast over, but it used to be very effective when they got the ball and ran like stink down the wings with it. Jamie Murphy had a good turn of pace too in that position. I think it's a real asset to a team personally and it's something we don't really have much of. Washington and Johnson seem to have got it, but they also seem to be lacking the other things that go with it!:oops:

Being reported today that Milwall are one of a few championship clubs interested in signing Clarke. Wilder mentioned yesterday that another Norwood situation (one out, one in) before the window shuts is a possibility which has got me thinking could we do a swap deal with Clarke for Gregory. Gregory is out of contract in the summer and doesn't look like signing a new one so surely they'll look at is as a reasonable swap. I think Gregory's genuinely an underatted player, may not be the most clinical finisher going but his all round game is generally good and there's not many strikers as hard working as him off the ball.

He fits the 'Wilder' mould perfectly and is a Blade through and through. I can see it personally, even if he might not be first choice. Unsure if he'll be ok with potentially not getting game time every single week, but playing for his hometown club might sway him.

Before people say 'we want better', consider what Wilder has done with people of the right ilk already, and he is definitely of the right brand.

I'd fucking love to have him onboard.

Saw him linked with a club the other day but I can't for the life of me remember who

Sadly we now need to be looking towards players better than Billy and Didzy. He is better than neither.

Good luck to him but no.

He fits the 'Wilder' mould perfectly and is a Blade through and through. I can see it personally, even if he might not be first choice. Unsure if he'll be ok with potentially not getting game time every single week, but playing for his hometown club might sway him.

Before people say 'we want better', consider what Wilder has done with people of the right ilk already, and he is definitely of the right brand.

I'd fucking love to have him onboard.

CW/AK haven’t achieved what they have without realising the PL is a whole new ball game and a different approach (or nuance adjusted approach) is required. Not saying he wouldn’t consider Gregory but they know their 17 tests have increased to circa 25.

We’ve discussed pace, athleticism etc to death but they will be factors. We gained 100 points in L1, we improved the side considerably in the Championship and made 11% less points with the improved squad. Next season those stats will be magnified in comparison and we have to adjust first to survive then to grow.

Next season those stats will be experiential in comparison and we have to adjust first to survive then to grow.

Personally I think we should aim for 40 points which is a bit more than what is needed for just survival.

That would give us an excellent chance the season after to drive the club even higher and quicker.

It really sounds like CW/AK don't want to hang around - the release list today tells us that for me.

UTB

Personally I think we should aim for 40 points which is a bit more than what is needed for just survival.

That would give us an excellent chance the season after to drive the club even higher and quicker.

It really sounds like CW/AK don't want to hang around - the release list today tells us that for me.

UTB
Agree, posted on the Released list thread that CW/AK ain’t hanging about. It looks like no one is taking us seriously, good!

If it were another year in the Champ, Gregory would be a good fit. Unfortunately, as hard working and committed as he is, he isn't clinical or simply enough to play in the Prem.

Pity as I'd like to have seen him play for Utd - almost as much as he'd like to play for the club!

Could be next season's free transfer wonder. I've never rated him yet he always seems to score and win player of the year at his club. Hmm.

No he's not. He's a good Championship striker. If we hadn't been promoted, I'd quite happily get behind having him with us. As it is, we did get promoted. We're a bit beyond him now. And in any case, he's off to Stoke.

Agree with all that LB89 - I think Stoke will be a good move for him.

Could be next season's free transfer wonder. I've never rated him yet he always seems to score and win player of the year at his club. Hmm.

Not sure he scores that often. 64 in 204 games for Millwall and 35 of those in the third division and the club at which he is player of the year is, well...Millwall.

Not so Hmm. :)

We can have a maximum of 25 over 21 players so lets sign Lee fucking Gregory, because he's on a free and has low wages :eek:

Time to aim higher Blades, has it not sunk in yet we're playing Premier League football next season.

Lee fucking Gregory... I didn't think you could make this shit up, wow!

It's a big 'no ta' from me.

We could have signed him a few years back but we've hugely outgrown him now.

Back
Top Bottom