Incoming? Lee Gregory

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If we're serious about trying to get promoted we need to be looking at better than Lee Gregory.

I know we haven't got a pot of gold but we can surely be more creative in our recruitment.

Mouth...same is true of Villa and Boro so if we want Hogan or Assombolonga we are going to have to buy them and I don't think we can afford them

Mouth...same is true of Villa and Boro so if we want Hogan or Assombolonga we are going to have to buy them and I don't think we can afford them

You may be right FB but I'm not too sure. Gregory is critical to Millwall and therefore they'd be daft to get rid unless for megabucks. Villa and M'boro however do have plenty of other and preferred options and may wish to loan to free-up a (sizeable) wage esp if they're looking to bring someone in. Not sure they'd have any/many takers if they are only looking to sell given the likely cost.

No disrespect to the lad but I'll not be disappointed to see this long running rumour to be put to bed.

I'll even go as far as joining Pinchy on this one.

Lee Gregory and Ched Evans would be baulked at as potential signings by the vast majority of fans imho, if it wasn't for their Bladey Blade connections.

He is a poor mans Billy Sharp. We don't need him.

Reactions: FYT
Millwall have offered him a new contract: https://www.newsatden.co.uk/70481-exclusive-millwall-offer-striker-lucrative-new-deal.html

For me, I just can't see this happening. Millwall are wanting too much in this transfer window. And by the end of the season, we'll either be promoted, in which case we won't want him. Or we'll be in the same league, in which case I highly doubt Wilder will still be here and I could see our interest cooling.
Why do you think wilder won't be here if we are not promoted? I presume the ownership issue will (hopefully) be sorted but will be after the end of the season, I don't understand why if we dont win promotion wilder will leave.

Why do you think wilder won't be here if we are not promoted? I presume the ownership issue will (hopefully) be sorted but will be after the end of the season, I don't understand why if we dont win promotion wilder will leave.

If we haven't been promoted, I can just see Wilder rightly saying it's because his hands were tied. And he'll say he thinks he's taken the club as far as he can. He'll have no shortage of suitors either. Unless of course suddenly our ownership issue is sorted and we magically have more resources for another go next year. But I'm not holding out hope of that happening. And even if it does, he could still be tempted away.

So while it's not set in stone, I'm not optimistic.

If we haven't been promoted, I can just see Wilder rightly saying it's because his hands were tied. And he'll say he thinks he's taken the club as far as he can. He'll have no shortage of suitors either. Unless of course suddenly our ownership issue is sorted and we magically have more resources for another go next year. But I'm not holding out hope of that happening. And even if it does, he could still be tempted away.

So while it's not set in stone, I'm not optimistic.

Wilder won't get any extra funds even when the ownership issue is sorted as neither of them have the money. Wilder will have been aware of this when he signed his new deal last year. His hands have not been tied.

Wilder won't get any extra funds even when the ownership issue is sorted as neither of them have the money. Wilder will have been aware of this when he signed his new deal last year. His hands have not been tied.

Fair point. That doesn't change my view though. If we don't get promoted this Summer I wouldn't be surprised if Wilder felt he'd taken us as far as he can and went to a Premier League club, or a Championship club with more resources.

Fair point. That doesn't change my view though. If we don't get promoted this Summer I wouldn't be surprised if Wilder felt he'd taken us as far as he can and went to a Premier League club, or a Championship club with more resources.

Which teams do you think would be after him? There's several who have recently been looking for a manager and none of them seemed to want him

Didn't he sign a new contract around a year ago? Not the sign of somebody jumping ship and he doesn't give the impression that that is his style either, manager of his boyhood team or anybody else. Now if the boardroom fiasco continues.....

If there is any substance in the Clarke going and Washington homesick rumours, I could DEFO see Wilder trying to move on this.

Sharp, Dids, Madine and Gregs would give us the strongest front line we have had in over a decade.

UTB

Which teams do you think would be after him? There's several who have recently been looking for a manager and none of them seemed to want him

Do you know for a fact that they didn't want him? Or perhaps they knew Wilder wouldn't leave? Anyway, I could see interest from any club in the 'bottom 12' of the Premier League who wants a managerial change, any relegated Premier League side who's likely lost their manager, any Championship side with resources who feel their own manager isn't doing well enough.

Do you know for a fact that they didn't want him? Or perhaps they knew Wilder wouldn't leave? Anyway, I could see interest from any club in the 'bottom 12' of the Premier League who wants a managerial change, any relegated Premier League side who's likely lost their manager, any Championship side with resources who feel their own manager isn't doing well enough.

There was no reported interest and they all seemed to get new managers fairly quickly. Why would Wilder want to leave this summer when he signed a new contract just last year and nothing much has changed in between? I just can't see him suddenly becoming unhappy with things here. I also don't think there would be as much interest in him as you suggest.

Didn't he sign a new contract around a year ago? Not the sign of somebody jumping ship and he doesn't give the impression that that is his style either, manager of his boyhood team or anybody else. Now if the boardroom fiasco continues.....

I know it's an unpopular opinion because it'll very likely ruin what's been a good few fairy tale years here. But it's just how I feel. Well aware he signed a new contract fairly recently.

There was no reported interest and they all seemed to get new managers fairly quickly. Why would Wilder want to leave this summer when he signed a new contract just last year and nothing much has changed in between? I just can't see him suddenly becoming unhappy with things here. I also don't think there would be as much interest in him as you suggest.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right. But in my opinion you're naive to think that just because they moved quickly means they didn't want Wilder. More often that not, by the times club sack managers, they've done their due diligence on who else will be available. Just because, say, Stoke hired Nathan Jones pretty swiftly doesn't mean they wouldn't have jumped at the chance of getting Wilder if they thought they could. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Wilder wasn't in demand this Summer if we don't go up.

Re: why would he want to leave when things haven't changed. I just think he'll feel like he's doing as much as he can with the resources available to him. And so if we don't go up, would he want another crack at another year of getting as much as he possibly can out of this side? Or to go somewhere else with more resources?

Do you know for a fact that they didn't want him? Or perhaps they knew Wilder wouldn't leave?

For me this absolutely spot on. When Stoke needed a new manager and decided they weren't going to look at usual "merry go round" managers then i'm quite sure CW would have been higher on their list than Nathan Jones as he is proven at this level, plays great football and can work to a budget.

What they will have realised though is that CW is pretty much in his dream job and would be extremely hard to get so IMO that's probably why they plumped for Jones.

If there is any substance in the Clarke going and Washington homesick rumours, I could DEFO see Wilder trying to move on this.

Sharp, Dids, Madine and Gregs would give us the strongest front line we have had in over a decade.

UTB

Agree DB. The only thing missing, and some (inc. CW) may say it's not required based on how the team is set-up and plays, is pace and/or trickiness to conjure something out of nothing. Hogan, if available on loan and affordable, would provide the former and there are several options for the latter. Kaikai would have been a possible and inexpensive option but he went aboard in the last couple of days.

Nah, pace isn't important. Pace only ever has an effect over 60 yards, never just 5 or 10.

Nah, pace isn't important. Pace only ever has an effect over 60 yards, never just 5 or 10.

One comment i always found interesting was the pace of Phil Jagielka - proof that pace over 5 yards and pace over 20 yards are very different things.

I think there was a stat are one point that Jagielka was the fastest player in the Premier League at one point - but no mention of over what distance.

Last edited:
Once comment i always found interesting was the pace of Phil Jagielka - proof that pace over 5 yards and pace over 20 yards are very different things.

I think there was a stat are one point that Jagielka was the fastest player in the Premier League at one point - but no mention of over what distance.

Calvert-Lewin said in a recent interview that Jagielka was still one of the fastest players at Everton, unbelievably.

I’m off to an Everton messageboard. I’m sure it will be full of dialogue about the Blades.

I’m off to an Everton messageboard. I’m sure it will be full of dialogue about the Blades.

I'm guessing that was a dig at me.

Ok i'll bite.

I was making a point about a player that is not renowned to be quick, but is statistically very quick - two types of pace, short and long distance.

The fact he once played for us is completely coincidental.

Basically you've described the difference between "speed" and "quickness". I agree "quickness" is more helpful on the football pitch - and in most team sports - but I think when people shout "we need pace!" they basically mean the same thing.

I look at West Brom's first goal against us (Barry's). It was the pace of Harvey Barnes over 10 yards or so that made the opportunity. Barnes is quick over longer distances than that, but it was no more than a 10 yard burst that led to that goal.

Regardless of your style of play, pace over shorter distances will always give you an advantage.

Back
Top Bottom