Lee Carsley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

silverfox

Reaction score
Sheffield United boss Bryan Robson is reviving his interest in Everton midfielder Lee Carsley.

Robson tried to lure Carsley to Bramall Lane over the summer and is now seeking a loan deal for the veteran.

See, and none of you believed me when I started this rumour.....

You watch, Walcott will be linked again soon :D

Jags got picked ahead of him I think.

Could work out well if we get him.

Jags will get more 1st team action at Everton.

Yeah would be great if we managed to get him, the question is will he realy want to.
while we're at it we should get Sinclair from Chelsea

Nothing to link him with us but he is leaving Birmingham for "a new challenge".

Certainly far better at the "Monty" role than Monty ever will be and could re-create the Stuart McCall role that we have never really found since.

Available on a free, wages will probably be an issue though.

I agree Torrix, very good player and would do well at the Lane but I can't see that happening. I would imagine Carsley is on upwards of 12-15k a week (if I'm guessing). Either way I think his salary demands would be way beyond our budget cuts.

As long as he wouldn't be too costly I would welcome the lad with open arms. The only other thing is his age. He's no spring chicken.

Torrix,

My thoughts exactly when I heard he wasn't staying at Birmingham. A great choice in replacement for the hard working Monty. Carsley is 36 but he's never been blessed with pace and his game doesn't rely on pace anyway so I think he'd be good for 2 years in that holding role in front of the back four. He does all the basic things very well but probably wouldn't get another Premier League club.

Nothing to link him with us but he is leaving Birmingham for "a new challenge".

Certainly far better at the "Monty" role than Monty ever will be and could re-create the Stuart McCall role that we have never really found since.

Available on a free, wages will probably be an issue though.

I agree Torrix, very good player and would do well at the Lane but I can't see that happening. I would imagine Carsley is on upwards of 12-15k a week (if I'm guessing). Either way I think his salary demands would be way beyond our budget cuts.

As long as he wouldn't be too costly I would welcome the lad with open arms. The only other thing is his age. He's no spring chicken.

Torrix,

My thoughts exactly when I heard he wasn't staying at Birmingham. A great choice in replacement for the hard working Monty. Carsley is 36 but he's never been blessed with pace and his game doesn't rely on pace anyway so I think he'd be good for 2 years in that holding role in front of the back four. He does all the basic things very well but probably wouldn't get another Premier League club.

Seems we are all having the same thoughts. This was my first thought yesterday when i saw the story on SSN, I'd like to think that we could attract a player like this for a "new challenge" however my concerns would be his wage demands intially, but also his fitness level etc as he's not getting any younger and by no means a spring chicken

Thats me and a realist.

Another Speed if we signed him. He's been good in his time but let some other suckers pay for his retirement not us.

I think he's probably more suited to the McCall / Harper role of watching play go past whilst pointing and shouting. Still fit, mobile and quick enough to keep up he would be a marvelous player for us - I think he's probably lost or losing those attributes, and will probably just end up with a few good passes and a lot of nasty tackles.

Not as good as Montgomery. Too old and too expensive.

That said it worked with Hendrie, Ehiogu, Speed etc.

Alot better than Monty but probably too expensive for us.

Alot better than Monty but probably too expensive for us.

A few years back he maybe was better than Monty. But not anymore.

He's obviously so good that Birmingham don't want him anymore.

Brummy have secured a 2nd season in the PL they can probably afford to replace him with someone younger and better.

He helped them get out of the championship and retain a place in the PL.

Brummy have secured a 2nd season in the PL they can probably afford to replace him with someone younger and better.

He helped them get out of the championship and retain a place in the PL.

What's your point? The guy isn't that good anymore. We've had so many has-beens.

My point is he is a damn site better than Monty and his recent success with Birmingham at the past it age of of 36 proves it.

He'd be one of my top choices to replace Monty if he goes, Shaun Derry's another one I'd have.

Carsley would be well worth a one year contract, maybe even if Monty stays.

My point is he is a damn site better than Monty and his recent success with Birmingham at the past it age of of 36 proves it.

It doesn't prove anything.

Look at the success Sharp managed with Scunny and Donny. Does it mean he'll have the same success with us? I highly doubt it.

Yeah but Sharp has played for us and we know he does not suit our "style" of play.

Has Carsley played for us before so we can make the assumption he is of no use to us?

Yeah but Sharp has played for us and we know he does not suit our "style" of play.

Has Carsley played for us before so we can make the assumption he is of no use to us?

Our "style" of play is hoof ball, yes? So how can Carsley be of any use to us above Monty?

I just can't believe people want to replace Monty with a 36 year old midfielder who probably has less legs than Harper. yes, Mccall and Speed did it..but I think they are a different kettle of fish compared to Carsley.

If we signed him I'd support him....but I don't understand why people would want to play him instead of Monty. With him maybe? As he could be the cool head who can pass the ball?

Not all defensive midfielders have to have an engine like Monty to be effective, and with experience comes better positional sense and anticipation. Experience itself is also a bonus as it's always beneficial to the other players.

No, No, No No.

Good player in his day but we're cutting our cloth next season and we can't afford a very expensive gamble like Carsley. People say he plays the Monty role better but Monty is full of energy and never stops, Carsley is an old man, if we're careful we may have another Hendrie on our hands.

No offence to those who are suggesting him but we need to get real and sign talented young players from the lower leagues or experienced Championship cloggers who can do a job for one or two years.

Back
Top Bottom