New Manager?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony_Kaufman

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's
Reaction score
We all keep wracking our brains trying to come up with the long term solution to this mess we're in. Everyone says Hecky out but no one seems to be able to come up with a viable alternative.

A lot of people agree not to bring in a long term replacement now, as they are unlikely to turn things around and would have the stigma of this season attached to them next season. For that reason a lot of people feel that Hecky should go and someone should come in to see us go down, but to go down with some organisation, fight and pride, then recruit a long term manager for next season.

I've struggled to come up with a name myself until today. Now I'm not saying I'm an expert (far from it), nor that I have a solution, but among all the names I've seen bandied around there's one that I've not seen mentioned.

Lee Carsley.

He's a proven manager but hasn't really had a decent crack at league management yet. He's on a rolling one year deal with the FA as under 21 manager, so compensation won't be that daft. He has a winning mentality. Through his job as under 21 manager he has connections throughout the Premier League and Championship, so getting good young players to come on loan would be easier, and also he'd know how to get the best out of them, and much like Steve Cooper, they would want to play for him. If his teams play like he did then there'll be no lack of effort.

Thoughts?

Will Still for me but I can’t see us approaching him or him seeing it being the right job to move to England for at this stage.

Not sure we should have someone in who hasn’t got first team management experience. Be better off with Micheal Carrick and I wouldn’t fancy him either. Mind you, he probably wouldn’t fancy us
He might not have heaps of first team football management, but when he's been called on as caretaker manager he's been solid other than his first stint.

Coventry 2012
P6 W1 D1 L4 Win% 16%

Coventry 2013
P5 W3 D0 L2 Win% 60%

Brentford 2015
P10 W5 D2 L3 Win% 50%

Birmingham 2017
P3 W1 D1 L1 Win% 33%

England Under 20
P2 W1 D0 L1 Win% 50%

England Under 21
P26 W21 D1 L4 Win% 80%

Will Still for me but I can’t see us approaching him or him seeing it being the right job to move to England for at this stage.
Because he isn’t going to get a PL offer, so an offer of a Championship rebuild with one of the larger wage bills, focusing on youth would be attractive to a lot. If the rebuild starts in Jan then you’d want to be in now rather than the Summer.

This isn’t me supporting Carsley for the role incidentally, just showing why we’d still be attractive to a less experienced or lower league manager.

Why would he or anyone else want to come to this shitshow of a club atm ?

It all depends what's offered, doesn't it? If someone said "here's a three and a half year deal, this season is a write-off, 24/25 is consolidation, then 25/26 we expect to be pushing for promotion, if not going back up - general philosophy is to transition away from the aging players who we're releasing at the end of the season anyway, and get the team younger/hungrier using the players we have already", that I think would sound like a relatively interesting project, with realistic targets and what'd appear to be good job security?

It’s a hard sell for sure .

Shouldn’t be - nice stadium , 30k+ gates , premier league , passionate supporters, low expectations, only way is an improvement….

Trouble is - we have an owner who is skint and has no interest in the club.

We all keep wracking our brains trying to come up with the long term solution to this mess we're in. Everyone says Hecky out but no one seems to be able to come up with a viable alternative.

A lot of people agree not to bring in a long term replacement now, as they are unlikely to turn things around and would have the stigma of this season attached to them next season. For that reason a lot of people feel that Hecky should go and someone should come in to see us go down, but to go down with some organisation, fight and pride, then recruit a long term manager for next season.

I've struggled to come up with a name myself until today. Now I'm not saying I'm an expert (far from it), nor that I have a solution, but among all the names I've seen bandied around there's one that I've not seen mentioned.

Lee Carsley.

He's a proven manager but hasn't really had a decent crack at league management yet. He's on a rolling one year deal with the FA as under 21 manager, so compensation won't be that daft. He has a winning mentality. Through his job as under 21 manager he has connections throughout the Premier League and Championship, so getting good young players to come on loan would be easier, and also he'd know how to get the best out of them, and much like Steve Cooper, they would want to play for him. If his teams play like he did then there'll be no lack of effort.

Thoughts?

come up with a viable alternative.

Looby Loo seems popular.

Because he’s almost bound to make some kind of improvement, just by getting the basics right. Nothing to lose, and potentially the credit for stopping the rot. Quite attractive for a motivator with something to prove.

Lee Carsley.

Thoughts?
Can’t see how Carsley would be any good in the premier league with our squad and injury list. He might be even worse than Hecky who knows the players capabilities and has worked with them for 2 years…,shudders.

Imo it has to be Carrick, learnt his trade in EPL under Fergie. Great motivator, great tactician. Got his team last year, sold and removed from under his feet. He is rebuilding Boro again, he is a future England manager imo. He could/would sort this bag of shit out. Gerrim in! He would take it on. And after this shit show, we are still only 5 points from safety. Florist, Fulham, Burnley, Luton, maybe Everton, there is still something to play for.

Imo it has to be Carrick, learnt his trade in EPL under Fergie. Great motivator, great tactician. Got his team last year, sold and removed from under his feet. He is rebuilding Boro again, he is a future England manager imo. He could/would sort this bag of shit out. Gerrim in! He would take it on. And after this shit show, we are still only 5 points from safety. Florist, Fulham, Burnley, Luton, maybe Everton, there is still something to play for.

We can’t afford his compo and he wouldn’t come

Can’t see how Carsley would be any good in the premier league with our squad and injury list. He might be even worse than Hecky who knows the players capabilities and has worked with them for 2 years…,shudders.
I meant interim manager until end of season, Lee Carsley permanent for next season and beyond.

I don't think still would command the respect of the players, 31 year old , with no experience as a player and didn't even have a coaching badge for a long time, it could be very similar to potter at Chelsea , where he's a great coach but when the players have no respect for you or your achievements it's an uphill battle, it happens in the regular workplace and it happens in football as well

He's at Boro ffs, they have sold him down the the Tees, I think he would. But yes, the Prince will have to dig into his millions to get him. Its called investment. Otherwise he will lose a lot more.
Correct,and his current investment is haemorrhaging lots as the weeks pass by. Pay the money to resurrect and rebuild or it’s goodbye to £100 million,because if we don’t get back up again next season “his” club will be worth a 24 pack of bog rolls.
Tin hat on-:
Van nistelrooy
Potter
Hasenhuttl
All out of work and probably tell us to fuck off.
Ian Evatt
Carlos Corberan.

I don't think still would command the respect of the players, 31 year old , with no experience as a player and didn't even have a coaching badge for a long time, it could be very similar to potter at Chelsea , where he's a great coach but when the players have no respect for you or your achievements it's an uphill battle, it happens in the regular workplace and it happens in football as well
I did consider that exact comparison to Potter at Chelsea, but with Still he went into a Reims team last season who were bottom and as you say with no coaching badges took them on a charge up the league (even competing with PSG and the other top sides I believe). They're 5th this season and although the league obviously isn't as competitive are significantly overachieving. If one or two of their players looked around and said 'Who?' (Balogun from Arsenal was there) I'm sure they weren't a few months later.

Coming on to our players, they're currently the laughing stock of English top level football, breaking records left right and centre and with a real risk now of breaking the one everyone talks about in Derby's record. In my opinion as they are generally a young group they'd give Still a chance, but putting in bluntly they have absolutely no right to disrespect whatever manager we bring in with they way they are playing at the moment.

Just do what everyone else does and give the job to cities assistant.

Carlos Vicens currently

Back
Top Bottom