CONFIRMED Kalvin Phillips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What a complete waste of time and money. He’s shown absolutely nothing for us to even contemplate bringing him back.
Other than playing for one of the best teams in the world, representing England and having a massive transfer fee when moving clubs.

A little bit like
"What did the Romans ever do for us"

I agree it's a bit of a gamble but have you ever considered the upside if it comes off.
 



Other than playing for one of the best teams in the world, representing England and having a massive transfer fee when moving clubs.

A little bit like
"What did the Romans ever do for us"

I agree it's a bit of a gamble but have you ever considered the upside if it comes off.
Ahh right, so he’s done things in the past that somehow benefit us? Lol.

Where’s the upside? I’m more focused on the downside (what we’ve literally seen already)
 
Other than playing for one of the best teams in the world, representing England and having a massive transfer fee when moving clubs.

A little bit like
"What did the Romans ever do for us"

I agree it's a bit of a gamble but have you ever considered the upside if it comes off.
And at 30 year old, he's got another good 4 or 5 years left in him 👍
 
I remember Chris Basham being terrible against Chesrerfield in what I think was he debut. Look how that turned out. We've hardly seen anything from KP yet.....
Do you think that’s down to his fitness/injury issues?
 
Really unnecessary.
Is it really? I am sorry you feel so strongly about my trite comment.
It wasattempt to express frustration through 'humour'
Its an anonymous message board, although CM maybe your virtual friend?
People use the anonymity to peddle tripe, when a person in my real life starts to guess players wages, transfer fees etc my response is the same.
 
We cannot sign anyone until 15th June.

Who has said we are going to sign Phillips?

I liked Jairo but he hasnt played one game for 90 minutes for us so signing him would be a big risk as we no longer have parachute payments.

How is the SCR going to affect us?

We dont know our transfer budget for the summer.
These rumours often start from somewhere, an agent trying to drum up business, someone within the club, etc. That’s why it’s the rumours thread mate.

I was fully on board with his signing when he first came. I really hoped that he had enough in the locker to do something with us. He did not.

Unfit and done I’m afraid.

He’ll turn up in the “baller league” giving it the big un
 
Why would Man City be paying Phillips £150k? Doesn't sound logical. Tripled/Quadrupled (guesswork) his Leeds wage... in case he turned them down?!

More likely he's on 60-70k. We were told Man City were covering a lot of his salary.

Anyway, seems a crazy signing unless we're somehow extremely confident he's fully fit next season.
Can only ask City that question but multiple sources online 3 shown below advise base salary is £150,000. For an at the time a promising England prospect although a 6 year contract was risky it was something they were up to doing

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/footbal...exit-looms-paper-round_sto9847947/story.shtml

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/38859957/england-kalvin-phillips-image-rights-championship/

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/h...ning-kalvin-phillips-was-earning-at-man-city/
 
Can only ask City that question but multiple sources online 3 shown below advise base salary is £150,000. For an at the time a promising England prospect although a 6 year contract was risky it was something they were up to doing

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/footbal...exit-looms-paper-round_sto9847947/story.shtml

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/38859957/england-kalvin-phillips-image-rights-championship/

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/h...ning-kalvin-phillips-was-earning-at-man-city/
They're all quoting The Sun's source. Which lets face it, was probably a dart board they use to make up stories.

Makes absolutely no sense for Man City to offer Phillips such an insane amount of money when they bought him, or for them to have given him any pay rises. Pure logic - maybe they're so rich, with financial cheating so deep, they really don't care about pissing millions and millions away.
 
Why would Man City be paying Phillips £150k? Doesn't sound logical. Tripled/Quadrupled (guesswork) his Leeds wage... in case he turned them down?!

More likely he's on 60-70k. We were told Man City were covering a lot of his salary.

They will be paying him that much because they have infinite resources and that is the going rate for players who were in Phillips' position at the time
 
They will be paying him that much because they have infinite resources and that is the going rate for players who were in Phillips' position at the time
They still have had to comply to FFP (lol), so why pay anyone double or triple what's necessary? Phillips was hardly in a position to play hardball.

Anyway. 🤷🏻
 



They still have had to comply to FFP (lol), so why pay anyone double or triple what's necessary?

If you think Phillips is only worth 50-60k a week you have no fucking clue what sorts of salaries top level players are on. Look at what the unwashed were paying Bannan for the love of god

Edit - Chelsea were paying Winston Bogarde 40 grand a week to train with the reserves a quarter of a century ago. If you seriously think that someone with 30 England caps in the prime of their career should not be on six figures a week, either you think that the entire football universe is overpaid by orders of magnitude, or you are on substances I need to get a hold of
 
How hes made a living out of being a so called professional footballer is beyond me! Hes a not very good footballer, whats been taking the piss! Fits in nicely then with the dinosaur manager then 😉
 
To be fair most of the wilder shaggers are still living in 2020 pre covid world so no wonder they rate Phillips.
Agreed, realistically it was a fairytale that if it went well and we would have somehow won an additional 10 matches, Wilder would have been seen as a genius however as you rightly said Phillips like Wilder is definitely a pre-Covid era and to say that is 6 years ago now says it all.
 
They're all quoting The Sun's source. Which lets face it, was probably a dart board they use to make up stories.

Makes absolutely no sense for Man City to offer Phillips such an insane amount of money when they bought him, or for them to have given him any pay rises. Pure logic - maybe they're so rich, with financial cheating so deep, they really don't care about pissing millions and millions away.

Might make no sense but it happens.

Jarod Bowen was on £5k a week when he was at Hull and West Ham gave him £80k a week when he signed.
 
Bramall Lane - a (very £comfortable) Retirement Home for expensive Has-Beens.
We'll be back in for Ben Godfrey next.
Why not Jack Rodwell while we're at it ?
Let's see if Tom Davies has recovered from the injury he sustained whilst walking from one room to another.
FFS
 
Bramall Lane - a (very £comfortable) Retirement Home for expensive Has-Beens.
We'll be back in for Ben Godfrey next.
Why not Jack Rodwell while we're at it ?
Let's see if Tom Davies has recovered from the injury he sustained whilst walking from one room to another.
FFS
We have the up and coming players just need experience, fitness is always a thing for any player - worth the gamble - YES
 
Seems I’m in the minority on this one. Phillips has basically had no sustained run of football since leaving Leeds. Judging him off a handful of games for us after years of stop-start appearances and injuries is mad to me. I actually thought he brought a level of technique and rhythm in the centre that our other midfielders (Jairo aside) lack. Considering how good he’s been previously, the fact he’s only 30, and he’s clearly good around the squad, and he wants to be here, I think it could be a great signing if we’re not paying through the nose on wages. Stick him next to Peck or Arblaster and they can focus on getting around the pitch and not feel the responsibility of having to control the game.
 
Our best goal last season was started by his class. That big switch free kick to Hamer, Hamer’s drilled pass and a class touch and finish from Bamford.
Plus, on the evidence of a one minute elevator chat he’s a lovely lad with an infectious smile.
On that basis, I’d conclude he’s definitely worth the gamble.
 
Might make no sense but it happens.

Jarod Bowen was on £5k a week when he was at Hull and West Ham gave him £80k a week when he signed.
Bowen had options and the negotiations from his agent were almost quite public.

jt64 I'm not being naive about salaries. I just fail to see why they'd offer £150k when he was obviously keen to move and would have signed for e.g. £70/80k.

Not arguing about it, I just find it hard to believe he's on £100k+.
 
Bowen had options and the negotiations from his agent were almost quite public.

jt64 I'm not being naive about salaries. I just fail to see why they'd offer £150k when he was obviously keen to move and would have signed for e.g. £70/80k.

Would he though? I doubt that very much
 
I remember Chris Basham being terrible against Chesrerfield in what I think was he debut. Look how that turned out. We've hardly seen anything from KP yet.....
Chris Basham was not very good for a few games and I seem to remember a lot of our fans saying so on here.
Connor Coady as well apparently wasn't good enough, and too a lesser extent Sander Berge and Ollie McBurnie and even Harry Maguire.
I came to the conclusion years ago that a lot of our fans wouldn't think Bukayo Saka was a good footballer unless he slapped the badge and showed "Pashun".
 
Would he though? I doubt that very much
He wouldn't have moved to Man City for a 50-100% pay rise?

I can't imagine he was on more than £50-60k at Leeds (again just using rational thinking).
 
He wouldn't have moved to Man City for a 50-100% pay rise?

I can't imagine he was on more than £50-60k at Leeds (again just using rational thinking).

Depends what offers were on the table. If you think you're signing an established England international for less than six figures a week I don't know what to say. How much was Henderson on at Man Utd?
 



On massively reduced wages, I'd take him. Riedewald is gone, Peck will too, and he is a physical player who can put in a tackle (when fit!), something we lacked massively last season.
 

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom