CONFIRMED Kalvin Phillips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Depends what offers were on the table. If you think you're signing an established England international for less than six figures a week I don't know what to say. How much was Henderson on at Man Utd?
I don't recall a bidding war for him, but maybe there was, which yes would logically push the wage up. Maybe that did happen.

Henderson being paid 50k or whatever by Man Utd isn't comparable because that's just absolutely stupid and undoubtedly unnecessary.
 



By all accounts, he is keen to return. He genuinely likes Wilder, we understand the feeling is mutual. If , and its a big if, we can get him fit with a good pre-season, and the cost is acceptable, then yes, go for it.
 
By all accounts, he is keen to return. He genuinely likes Wilder, we understand the feeling is mutual. If , and its a big if, we can get him fit with a good pre-season, and the cost is acceptable, then yes, go for it.
Love the pre season mantra.. turning shit players into good ones since 2016! 😂 (See Rodwell, Morrison)
 
Chris Basham was not very good for a few games and I seem to remember a lot of our fans saying so on here.
Connor Coady as well apparently wasn't good enough, and too a lesser extent Sander Berge and Ollie McBurnie and even Harry Maguire.
I came to the conclusion years ago that a lot of our fans wouldn't think Bukayo Saka was a good footballer unless he slapped the badge and showed "Pashun".

See also Dominic Calvert Lewin.

Repeatedly consigned to the Not Good Enough For Us Club on here, in the last few years.

Just the 14 Prem goals this season.
 
Bowen had options and the negotiations from his agent were almost quite public.

jt64 I'm not being naive about salaries. I just fail to see why they'd offer £150k when he was obviously keen to move and would have signed for e.g. £70/80k.

Not arguing about it, I just find it hard to believe he's on £100k+.

So on one hand you're saying Bowen had options so wouldn't have signed for West Ham unless they offered £80k a week but on the other hand you're saying Phillips, who was in the England set up at the time, wouldn't be offered half what the top earners at City were on??

That literally makes no sense.
 
So on one hand you're saying Bowen had options so wouldn't have signed for West Ham unless they offered £80k a week but on the other hand you're saying Phillips, who was in the England set up at the time, wouldn't be offered half what the top earners at City were on??

That literally makes no sense.
I don't really see the connection that you're saying doesn't make sense.

Bowen's agent was fairly publicly playing hardball. West Ham almost didn't get him. Was a real saga at the time. West Ham were desperate (worked out luckily for them) so kept upping their offer.

RE Phillips, you don't have to pay your new players the same as your established stars. If you did, you'd definitely be breaching PSR rules immediately (Man City, lolz). In pretty much any business, you pay as little as possible for things, right? So why offer him £150k when he'd bite your hand off for half (it's true, agents would drive it up as much as possible, which maybe I didn't factor in initially when I first dived into this thrilling debate).

We are all applying different logic here - and we're all guessing.

I'd be guessing Phillips is getting paid under £100k a week, the poor bugger. Maybe nearer £75k than £100k.

Also worth noting that I'm extremely tight.
 
I don't really see the connection that you're saying doesn't make sense.

Bowen's agent was fairly publicly playing hardball. West Ham almost didn't get him. Was a real saga at the time. West Ham were desperate (worked out luckily for them) so kept upping their offer.

RE Phillips, you don't have to pay your new players the same as your established stars. If you did, you'd definitely be breaching PSR rules immediately (Man City, lolz). In pretty much any business, you pay as little as possible for things, right? So why offer him £150k when he'd bite your hand off for half (it's true, agents would drive it up as much as possible, which maybe I didn't factor in initially when I first dived into this thrilling debate).

We are all applying different logic here - and we're all guessing.

I'd be guessing Phillips is getting paid under £100k a week, the poor bugger. Maybe nearer £75k than £100k.

Also worth noting that I'm extremely tight.
It's widely reported he's on over a 100 k a week
 
Which says everything
By comparison I saw 20+ games from Soumare which were meh at best. 🤷‍♂️
That's all well and good, but getting <2 games worth of playtime in 5 months would be a horrendous signing, regardless of the player's quality.

Phillips hasn't managed to appear in more than 30 games in a single season since leaving Leeds in 2022. We're actively watching 2 midfield players leave us, in Jairo and Tom Davies, who have also shown an inability to complete fixtures. Why would we proceed to spend money on a player who, per his stats over the last 4 seasons, is equally incapable of staying on the pitch?
 
That's all well and good, but getting <2 games worth of playtime in 5 months would be a horrendous signing, regardless of the player's quality.

Phillips hasn't managed to appear in more than 30 games in a single season since leaving Leeds in 2022. We're actively watching 2 midfield players leave us, in Jairo and Tom Davies, who have also shown an inability to complete fixtures. Why would we proceed to spend money on a player who, per his stats over the last 4 seasons, is equally incapable of staying on the pitch?

As I said, I don’t know the nature of his injury
He looked better than anything we had at the time when I saw him play.

It’s down to the manager who we sign so if we do sign Phillips and he’s injured/shit you can post on here about how you were right to question it.
 



I don't really see the connection that you're saying doesn't make sense.

Bowen's agent was fairly publicly playing hardball. West Ham almost didn't get him. Was a real saga at the time. West Ham were desperate (worked out luckily for them) so kept upping their offer.

RE Phillips, you don't have to pay your new players the same as your established stars. If you did, you'd definitely be breaching PSR rules immediately (Man City, lolz). In pretty much any business, you pay as little as possible for things, right? So why offer him £150k when he'd bite your hand off for half (it's true, agents would drive it up as much as possible, which maybe I didn't factor in initially when I first dived into this thrilling debate).

We are all applying different logic here - and we're all guessing.

I'd be guessing Phillips is getting paid under £100k a week, the poor bugger. Maybe nearer £75k than £100k.

Also worth noting that I'm extremely tight.

Totally agree we're all guessing as the only people that will know the exact figure are Man City and Kalvin Phillips (and his agent).

Did a bit of digging and most sites I found are showing him on £150k. There are others that have him on £125k. The lowest was £105k.

The surprising one I saw on the list was Grealish being one of the lowest earners.
 
Totally agree we're all guessing as the only people that will know the exact figure are Man City and Kalvin Phillips (and his agent).

Did a bit of digging and most sites I found are showing him on £150k. There are others that have him on £125k. The lowest was £105k.

The surprising one I saw on the list was Grealish being one of the lowest earners.
Yes, that is why I dont bother looking at these clickbait websites, the figures are all guesswork.
 
Totally agree we're all guessing as the only people that will know the exact figure are Man City and Kalvin Phillips (and his agent).

Did a bit of digging and most sites I found are showing him on £150k. There are others that have him on £125k. The lowest was £105k.

The surprising one I saw on the list was Grealish being one of the lowest earners.
There's no legitimate salary website mind you. It's private info.

The S*n, who seemingly claimed he's on £150k (and every other website seems to who as a source) would also have no idea.
 
We did have a 100% win ratio in the games he started 😉
Which was thanks to him to what extent?

He played fine at Portsmouth, but I don't think he did anything special to get us over the line. And we then beat Wednesday in spite of him, rather than because of him. Hardly a sparkling representation of his qualities.
 
There's no legitimate salary website mind you. It's private info.

The S*n, who seemingly claimed he's on £150k (and every other website seems to who as a source) would also have no idea.

Understand that media has these things called "sources".
 
You little tease 😂
It is the same with Junior football clubs. I remember "knowing" in April/May which club my son was going to play for in the following season even though the "trials" are usually held in June/July and "promise" not to tell anyone.

Plenty of pro footballers already "know" which club they will be playing for next season.
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom