Jebbison Mystery

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

4 of the players you name played over 50 years ago, when athleticism was far less important than it is today.

The other player is probably the best player this century. He is an exception that proves the rule. For every Messi there are dozens of Bennie Traores.

People think that being big, strong and quick is important because nowadays the vast majority of top flight forwards who are successful are indeed big, strong and quick. One of the reasons we are doing poorly this season is because we are physically inferior as a team to most of the other sides.

You'd already beat me to it. :)

I wrote the initial post nearly 4 months ago and still no details about what the issue is. Journalists never ask at press conferences and he's never seen on training videos. I hope its not something serious, but can't help thinking its contractual due to the fact there is no info about his absence.

I wrote the initial post nearly 4 months ago and still no details about what the issue is. Journalists never ask at press conferences and he's never seen on training videos. I hope its not something serious, but can't help thinking its contractual due to the fact there is no info about his absence.
It was a blood clot

Perhaps in order to make my point that the attributes of being big , strong and quick are not essential requirements for a player to become a top class striker I should have chosen other examples from the modern era rather than just Messi .

In this respect, it is interesting to note that 3 out of the 4 highest scorers in this season’s Premier League are Mo Salah , Son Heung-min and Jarrod Bowen . All three are reasonably quick but none can be described as being big or particularly strong , with Son in particular being noticeably diminutive and lightweight .

What they do all have however , are a number of other attributes which the likes of Pele and Greaves possessed in spades which in my view are far more important and would have enabled them to adapt and be highly effective in the modern game .

Perhaps in order to make my point that the attributes of being big , strong and quick are not essential requirements for a player to become a top class striker I should have chosen other examples from the modern era rather than just Messi .

In this respect, it is interesting to note that 3 out of the 4 highest scorers in this season’s Premier League are Mo Salah , Son Heung-min and Jarrod Bowen . All three are reasonably quick but none can be described as being big or particularly strong , with Son in particular being noticeably diminutive and lightweight .

What they do all have however , are a number of other attributes which the likes of Pele and Greaves possessed in spades which in my view are far more important and would have enabled them to adapt and be highly effective in the modern game .
For their size all 3 of those are incredibly strong- all 3 are very hard to push off the ball. Mo Salah pound for pound must be one of strogest footballers in the world .

As soon as they ran on to the pitch 50 years they’re bottle would go all that lovely mud start them off at the old Baseball Ground
Well, no, because they’d be fitter and stronger and better able to deal with those conditions.

Well, no, because they’d be fitter and stronger and better able to deal with those conditions.
Without different footwear, they wouldn’t be able to stand up, let alone run. I am not advocating going back to the past, but no doubt in 50 years similar discussions will be going on about current players.

Would having a good footballing brain and an instinct for the best positions to take up cover part of what you are explaining?

Can you imagine a modern player coming up against chopper harris .and the like
I think modern footballers have gone the same way as modern tennis players. They are all now machines on a production line, all have media training and are generally bland. No real characters anymore.

Jebbison is an example of the premier league conundrum,

Is it easier to produce a premier league footballer out of an athlete or an athlete out of a premier league footballer ?

I wonder why everything at the club seems secretive,in a way?

I wonder why everything at the club seems secretive,in a way?
I think its been more transparent since Wilder has been in charge. At least we know whos injured & who isn't. I don't think it would be wise for the club to update us on contract situations every week that could allow other clubs to step in on the ones that we're struggling to get over the line.

He's updated us quite a lot on Jebbison to be fair.

Keep seeing "Give Jebbo a new contract" but more importantly where is he?

He's not kicked a ball in 7 months, that's not good and him not being available isnt either.

I'm guessing it was initially his 'illness' keeping him out, and now maybe he's not returning to the first team until the contract situation is sorted. But it's only a guess. It's a weird situation.

He probably has kicked a ball, but just not been involved with the first team. Not sure

I'm guessing it was initially his 'illness' keeping him out, and now maybe he's not returning to the first team until the contract situation is sorted. But it's only a guess. It's a weird situation.
He's been out that long is he going to reach his potential now? Im sure i saw him in gym before before xmas on behind the scenes video.

Obviously its a big secret but doesn't look good when youve not played a game all season.

Tin hat on but he's not good enough. I know he's 'one of our own' etc and that holds sway with a lot of folk on here, but sadly he'll never make it above League One level. Osula is head and shoulders above him in terms of being a half decent striker and he's nowhere near being the player some people imagine him to be.

Tin hat on but he's not good enough. I know he's 'one of our own' etc and that holds sway with a lot of folk on here, but sadly he'll never make it above League One level. Osula is head and shoulders above him in terms of being a half decent striker and he's nowhere near being the player some people imagine him to be.
Tin hat not needed, just a brain. Both young players so how can you say they'll never make it above Div1

Completely disagree with that.

He is a terrific, young, quick and athletic prospect who only needs experience via game-time and will ultimately then develop into a similar striker to DCL.

Will get snapped up by a PL club for peanuts if we don't get his contract sorted.

I refer my honourable forumers to the comments I previously made about George Long and the pelters I received thereafter.

Back
Top Bottom