Jack O’Connell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Huge blow that could well relegate us this. Let's have a look who can play there Jags, Rodwell, Ampadu, Robinson .............. deary me we are fucked. It has to be Ampadu or bring in Stevens from full back. Robinson is not the answer he lost Bamford for the goal today and will keep costing us if he plays all season. The other choice is go to a back four but then we need two attacking midfielders which we don't have. Only McBurnie and Burke up front who look like they might do something we really are in the shit.

If we go 4 at the back we'd be 4312 or 442 I think, so back 4, and then Berge/Lunny, Norwood/Berge, Fleck/Osborn with McGoldrick as a 10, or double pivot with Berge and Norwood in the middle and Lundstram and Fleck either side.

I think Robinson is still a good Premier League cover player though and not a starter for 30 games so I'd agree with the Stevens inside if we stick with the back 3. Lowe looks quality at LWB and even Bryan looked decent in that position at a push.

Would be good to get the strikers over the line and then look for a good deal from the EFL for a solid LCB, that window is open an extra 2 weeks.

I reckon we might have to move Stevens across. Robinson does an ok job as cover but struggles to play 90 minutes consecutively at high levels. I reckon Enda would be solid there and Lowe to give us more as LWB going forward.
Yeah I don’t want to disrespect Robinson. But Enda I feel would be more suitable if we are to keep our attacking centre backs policy. Robinson is a more traditional left back. I think is the opportunity for Max Lowe to step up.

If we go 4 at the back we'd be 4312 or 442 I think, so back 4, and then Berge/Lunny, Norwood/Berge, Fleck/Osborn with McGoldrick as a 10, or double pivot with Berge and Norwood in the middle and Lundstram and Fleck either side.

I think Robinson is still a good Premier League cover player though and not a starter for 30 games so I'd agree with the Stevens inside if we stick with the back 3. Lowe looks quality at LWB and even Bryan looked decent in that position at a push.

Would be good to get the strikers over the line and then look for a good deal from the EFL for a solid LCB, that window is open an extra 2 weeks.

After spending 4 years stocking the squad with players who fit 3-5-2 - I'm not sure panicking and switching to a system that a) we've not played since before Tufty and b) our squad isn't suited to - is going to help in any way...

After spending 4 years stocking the squad with players who fit 3-5-2 - I'm not sure panicking and switching to a system that a) we've not played since before Tufty and b) our squad isn't suited to - is going to help in any way...

True, the main issue with changing formation is losing 4 years of experience of the intricacies of the formation, but I do think we'd have a very good 4312 or 442 if required.

Apparently Wilder said he wants a LCB in so hopefully that's done and we don't have to fiddle with the back 5.

Maybe it was just the specific circumstances of both Egan and JOC being out today, but Bamfords post match interview about spotting the weakness between our CBs says to me that we shouldn't be looking to put Enda in JOCs position. He's not particularly strong in the box for headers. Even if that would be the more attacking move, it won't make much difference if we keep shipping easy goals from headers at the back.

Chris get de fucking shirt back on it’s a desperate situation now !

Get well soon, Jack. You are instrumental for us and will be missed.

Probably should be on the Unpopular Opinions thread but Jack O’Connell is not that good and last season was our fifth best defender from that back five.
Wow! Basham has errors in him but we know what he’s all about, Egan has his downfalls, defending against pace being one of them and has cost us quite a few times with it, Stevens was probably our worst player in the second half of the season and Baldock played well although he went off the boil and his final ball let’s him down big time. JOC barely put a foot wrong and hasn’t in all his time here, he’s been immense and for me has definitely been our best defender in what has been a very good defence all in all.

To say he’s not that good and is our fifth best defender is absolutely ludicrous.

Look at me, look at me, look at meeeeeee everybody.

Wow! Basham has errors in him but we know what he’s all about, Egan has his downfalls, defending against pace being one of them and has cost us quite a few times with it, Stevens was probably our worst player in the second half of the season and Baldock played well although he went off the boil and his final ball let’s him down big time. JOC barely put a foot wrong and hasn’t in all his time here, he’s been immense and for me has definitely been our best defender in what has been a very good defence all in all.

To say he’s not that good and is our fifth best defender is absolutely ludicrous.

I’m saying last season he played well and was the fifth best defender in an extremely good defence. There’s no shame in being behind the player of the year and behind Egan, who’s just better than him.

I still think he’s really good, I just don’t get what all the fuss is about. If England had anything like the quality of centre halves were used to, have JOC in the England squad would be ludicrous.

As for our full backs, they’re our two most consistent players. Incredibly fit, so much of the ball, offering that vital width. Enda makes one mistake against Newcastle and for many (not necessarily you) the baby went out with the bath water. That we ludicrous.

Probably should be on the Unpopular Opinions thread but Jack O’Connell is not that good and last season was our fifth best defender from that back five.
You could argue that he was the fifth best due to his lack of involvement in goals...but to say he's "not that good" is ludicrous. That's the thing about last season's defence, you could be fifth best and still bloody awesome

I’m saying last season he played well and was the fifth best defender in an extremely good defence. There’s no shame in being behind the player of the year and behind Egan, who’s just better than him.

I still think he’s really good, I just don’t get what all the fuss is about. If England had anything like the quality of centre halves were used to, have JOC in the England squad would be ludicrous.

As for our full backs, they’re our two most consistent players. Incredibly fit, so much of the ball, offering that vital width. Enda makes one mistake against Newcastle and for many (not necessarily you) the baby went out with the bath water. That we ludicrous.
You’ve ignored more or less a full half of a season, Enda was shocking in it, the only reason he wasn’t dropped was because our lack of options, we have someone to come in for him now hence his performances have got back to what we know he’s capable of.

I respect your opinion mate but we couldn’t be any further apart in your appraisal of JOC and the performance of some of our defenders in the second half of the season.

Crikey. Our fifth best defender?

JOC is possibly the most indispensable player in the system we played last year. Not just because he was generally rock-solid at the back, but also because he was absolutely key to our attacking emphasis on overloading the left flank. (Given last season’s emphasis on attacking with wingbacks, and therefore on switching play quickly, an “indispensable“ case could also be made for Toxic Ollie).

For any other side it would sound odd to say it about the loss of a centre back. But losing JOC fucks our offensive capacity as much as our defensive. If he’s out for the season, it makes it doubly important that we get either a goal-scoring striker and/or a creative midfielder in before the window closes.

Fifth best defender? In the system we played last year, most valuable player all round, for me.

Has anyone heard anything about how Jack O’Connell is getting on at all? I’ve just seen on twitter he’s not on the squad list
Thanks

He was in the behind the scenes video briefly when Ben Davies was singing. He was on the bike in the gym. Must just be getting on with his rehab

Back
Top Bottom