CONFIRMED Iliman Ndiaye to Marseille

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

it's only 2 seasons ago that Lens won the title
I think you mean Lille.

Lille have won it twice in the last 20 years, which is twice as much as Marseilles have.

It's going to be difficult for them to break PSG's dominance.

I'll probably still follow his progress a little. It might change over time but I'm struggling to get behind Marseilles right now though.

It is easy to hold others to high standards. I suppose it would have been easier to accept had they come in early with a strong offer and gave us time to replace. Instead they chose a persistent unofficial campaign through the media, only securing his favour by effectively blackmailing him that it was now or never and so close to the eve of the season. All a bit underhanded and shady. It's quite possibly how football is, but there were better ways to have gone about it.

I will say this; I thought Hecky was very magnanimous and he did himself or the club no harm in closing the chapter positively and professionally despite the range of emotions he must have endured when he thought he was signing a deal. Fair play to him.

I was told a week after the season ended by someone with close links to the top that there was going to be no talks with N'Diaye
as his agent said it didn't matter what we offered.....he'd been approached by Marseille and was keen to join them no matter what.
I was also told that the sticking point for N'Diaye was financial security relating to relegation clauses. Apparently Marseille told him they don't insert relegation clauses....we were willing to offer him massive (for us) wages but of course there would be a substantial decrease if we were relegated.
I was also told N'Diaye was easily one of the lowest paid players at the club and hasn't made much money in the game yet.

Let's not forget that Olympic Marseille are traditionally the biggest club in France with the biggest support. Last season Marseille finished 3rd and averaged 62,739, this is the highest average gate ever achieved in the French League. Two other regular Senegal internationals play at Marseille, so it must be a really attractive proposition to join them. Was surprised when I heard he's probably staying as I just assumed he'd be sold, as long as we received a decent bid.

Also has anyone thought he might prove to be a flop at Marseille and struggle in the French league.
Some players thrive on being the main man and playing regular football, where as at Marseille he might be more of bit part player, which might lead to him losing form and confidence. The question is if Marseille are keen to get rid in 2 or 3 years then would we have him back?
If all that’s true then he should’ve gone at the end of last season. I think the main beef with must fans was the timing and manner of the move.
And no I wouldn’t have him back (not that it matters cos he won’t be coming back) some might think that’s cutting off your nose to spite your face, but for me we move on ⚔️

I was told a week after the season ended by someone with close links to the top that there was going to be no talks with N'Diaye
as his agent said it didn't matter what we offered.....he'd been approached by Marseille and was keen to join them no matter what.
I was also told that the sticking point for N'Diaye was financial security relating to relegation clauses. Apparently Marseille told him they don't insert relegation clauses....we were willing to offer him massive (for us) wages but of course there would be a substantial decrease if we were relegated.
I was also told N'Diaye was easily one of the lowest paid players at the club and hasn't made much money in the game yet.

Let's not forget that Olympic Marseille are traditionally the biggest club in France with the biggest support. Last season Marseille finished 3rd and averaged 62,739, this is the highest average gate ever achieved in the French League. Two other regular Senegal internationals play at Marseille, so it must be a really attractive proposition to join them. Was surprised when I heard he's probably staying as I just assumed he'd be sold, as long as we received a decent bid.

Also has anyone thought he might prove to be a flop at Marseille and struggle in the French league.
Some players thrive on being the main man and playing regular football, where as at Marseille he might be more of bit part player, which might lead to him losing form and confidence. The question is if Marseille are keen to get rid in 2 or 3 years then would we have him back?
If it’s gates he’s bothered about why didn’t he simply cross the city? 😀

I want him to go there and have an incredible season.
Mainly because I like the kid, he's followed his heart and I genuinely wish him well.
We'll be talking about him for decades to come.

But also because, selfishly, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we'll be in the shit financially before long and we could do with the re-sale clause kicking in.

He has never once acted in a manner that suggests he’s that kind of person. I reckon he half wanted to stay. Well maybe 45% of him.

He’s not a bad egg and should not be viewed that way. The one team he has openly spoke about wanting to play for came in for him. That would be so difficult to turn down for anyone in that situation. It’s just a shame they came in so soon for him.
I didn’t have him down as a bad egg either to be honest but for me actions speak louder than words. It’s not the first time either he’s mucked us about with a contract.

We may never know and ultimately we are all guessing. I’ve seen people saying the OM chairman told him it was now or never. If that is the case it makes it a little more forgiveable although he should have thought that stinks and not touched them with a barge pole.

Either way it’s massively tainted his time here in my view and I won’t look back on his time with us with any fondness. Some will share that view and some won’t. Time to forget him anyway and get behind the lads who want to be here.

Last edited:
Gutted by this news, put a dent in my nice Turkish holiday.
We just can’t have nice things at Bramall Lane, can we? It’s a fact of life, we only borrow them for a bit. Would’ve been nice to get something near what he is actually worth though.

I want him to go there and have an incredible season.
Mainly because I like the kid, he's followed his heart and I genuinely wish him well.
We'll be talking about him for decades to come.

But also because, selfishly, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we'll be in the shit financially before long and we could do with the re-sale clause kicking in.

I won't be talking about him for decades to come.

I won't be talking about him for decades to come.

Not when compared to Billy, Bash, Duffy, Norwood, Egan, JOC, George Baldock etc who’ve played such a massive part in the club’s journey over the last 6 years.

If my kids asked me about Ndiaye I’d say “good for one season, incredible the next then shat on us and fucked off” 🤷‍♂️

Not when compared to Billy, Bash, Duffy, Norwood, Egan, JOC, George Baldock etc who’ve played such a massive part in the club’s journey over the last 6 years.

If my kids asked me about Ndiaye I’d say “good for one season, incredible the next then shat on us and fucked off” 🤷‍♂️

Did he shit on us?

can anyone confirm that although illy in principle agreed to the new contract, that the issues with release clauses was resolved?

There appears to be a gap between when the clause issue was announced to when he suddenly left.

Maybe one for YorkBlade to add to his 5000 questions. What did happen for Illy to change his mind?

Was his wife finally sold the dream?

I think the rhetoric is convenient, but I am just glad that Illy left with his head held high and he didn’t sully our name like we did his

I won’t look back on his time with us with any fondness.

Really?
Next week will be the start of my 62nd season watching us. In that time we've had FIVE promotions from Tier2 to Tier1, if I didn't look back on those sort of seasons with any fondness (and only one of them featured an FA Cup Semi to add to the fun) then I'd have jacked it in long ago.
Players come and go, memorable seasons stay with you for ever whoever is doing the playing.

I think it’s a shame you’re seeing it that way. But that’s not for me to say really is it.

Maybe I’m softening the blow by remembering it differently. But it was his boyhood club. And there’s stacks of photos and videos of him in Marseille shirts etc. He simply found it too hard to turn down as would almost any of us if United wanting to sign ya from elsewhere. PH said he turned down huge sums in January - that tells me more about him. It really was just because it was Marseille IMO.

The way I remember him was bringing a level of entertainment on the pitch that was awe-inspiring. And a thoughtful, pleasant young man off it, who’d give his shirt to a young fan after pretty much every game.

Did he shit on us?

can anyone confirm that although illy in principle agreed to the new contract, that the issues with release clauses was resolved?

There appears to be a gap between when the clause issue was announced to when he suddenly left.

Maybe one for YorkBlade to add to his 5000 questions. What did happen for Illy to change his mind?

Was his wife finally sold the dream?

I think the rhetoric is convenient, but I am just glad that Illy left with his head held high and he didn’t sully our name like we did his
It was my understanding from everything I’ve read that he’d agreed to the whole thing and the only thing missing was his signature - hence all the social media stuff being prepared etc.

If the club did everything they could to keep him they’ve every right to let the fan base know, especially if he’s gone back on his word.

I've just seen that 'leaving video' we put out on socials. That was the new contract video with the an alternative ending wasn't it?!

He played and they lost 1-2 to Leverkusen and he gets the number 29 shirt......its all in the contract.

He picked up an injury too apparently, probably just cramp could be a calf strain. Hopefully nothing serious for him.

Have your wife and kid harassed by North African unemployed youths or have local folk ask how you are duck, love etc? 😁

As you say you could go back and forth on this forever!

It all depends on what appeals to him. It seems his wife and kids were very comfortable in Sheffield. They may take to Marseilles but they may also not.

Either way, it won't be our concern anymore so GLTTL and his family. Despite his Portuguese brainfart, he's a nice kid and he never gave us anything less than 100%.

Just hope once he's ticked the home town club box and he wants to win something of note, and Barca comes knocking, that their fans are just as in favour to 'libérer' Starboy.

😉

He’ll be earning a €2m per year, not sure he’ll have to head to Marseilles SportsDirect and dodge the spiceheads.

Really?
Next week will be the start of my 62nd season watching us. In that time we've had FIVE promotions from Tier2 to Tier1, if I didn't look back on those sort of seasons with any fondness (and only one of them featured an FA Cup Semi to add to the fun) then I'd have jacked it in long ago.
Players come and go, memorable seasons stay with you for ever whoever is doing the playing.
Perhaps I should have framed that differently. He isn’t a player I’ll remember with any fondness.

He’s filed with Nathan Blake, Bryan Robson, Che Adams and a few others. I mellowed on Howard Kendall in the end.

He didn't "Shat on us" really.
You get one career and it's fairly short in football.

Bit of emotional blackmail you could say from Marseille to tell him "It's now or never".
Given he nearly signed with us and rejected the Marseille interest that it wasn't a clear cut decision too.

Try and look at it from the opposite direction. Take Sharp when at Scunny.
Sharp had 2 good seasons then signed for us because it was his dream place to be.

Exactly the same scenario in a way. Scunny would have loved to have kept him but he wanted the move.

People need to grow up and move on. He played a huge part last season in our team and to be fair a big part the season before.
He always gave his all and was often the difference for us. He never downed tools, he even played 24 hours before his transfer and put in a decent performance.

Wish him well because afterall we want a sell on fee too. Hope that one day we may see him again in our shirt (Doubtful) and we as a club move on just as Hecky said.
Being bitter about it does no one any good and only tarnishes his time with us.

As for compareing him to Billy, Bash, Duffy etc. With all due respect their career trajectories were never on the same path as this lad. Perhaps JOC before his injury.
They are all good professionals though and dedicated to the cause. Just because Iliman decided he wanted to go to his hometown club in the end doesn't mean he wasn't dedicate here. And Marseille are a big club too, not like he's gone to Brest or something.

Unpopular opinion.

Illi is an absolutely fantastic player and top 3 of my lifetime for us. I think he will have a fantastic career and he deserves it. Genuinely will miss him.

BUT i also think we over hype him a little because we are used to mediocre players that over-achieve and rarely see many players in his mould (flair). Talented? Very. world-class superstar. I don’t think so

He is replaceable. You only have to look at teams like QPR, Peteborough, Coventry, Watford, West Brom, Sunderland etc to see that there are actually quite a lot of players of his ability that exist even in the championship.

I trust the new best recruitment policy and currently have faith that we will improve because of it with like for like ability.

I think it’s a shame you’re seeing it that way. But that’s not for me to say really is it.

Maybe I’m softening the blow by remembering it differently. But it was his boyhood club. And there’s stacks of photos and videos of him in Marseille shirts etc. He simply found it too hard to turn down as would almost any of us if United wanting to sign ya from elsewhere. PH said he turned down huge sums in January - that tells me more about him. It really was just because it was Marseille IMO.

The way I remember him was bringing a level of entertainment on the pitch that was awe-inspiring. And a thoughtful, pleasant young man off it, who’d give his shirt to a young fan after pretty much every game.
That’s the thing though for me. A lot is being made of how OM are his club and he had to do what he had to do. Little old Sheffield United are my club and for me he’s done the dirty on us. If he’d gone without all that it would be a completely different story in my eyes. But a kick in the balls is a kick in the balls

We all feel differently though. I found his leaving statement patronising, insincere and in all likelihood probably written by his agent. I muted the leaving video SUFC did. Others felt very emotional about it.

I guess it was because he was such a fantastic player that we all took to heart that we all reacted in such different ways. Hard to be ambivalent.

He didn't "Shat on us" really.
You get one career and it's fairly short in football.

Bit of emotional blackmail you could say from Marseille to tell him "It's now or never".
Given he nearly signed with us and rejected the Marseille interest that it wasn't a clear cut decision too.

Try and look at it from the opposite direction. Take Sharp when at Scunny.
Sharp had 2 good seasons then signed for us because it was his dream place to be.

Exactly the same scenario in a way. Scunny would have loved to have kept him but he wanted the move.

People need to grow up and move on. He played a huge part last season in our team and to be fair a big part the season before.
He always gave his all and was often the difference for us. He never downed tools, he even played 24 hours before his transfer and put in a decent performance.

Wish him well because afterall we want a sell on fee too. Hope that one day we may see him again in our shirt (Doubtful) and we as a club move on just as Hecky said.
Being bitter about it does no one any good and only tarnishes his time with us.

As for compareing him to Billy, Bash, Duffy etc. With all due respect their career trajectories were never on the same path as this lad. Perhaps JOC before his injury.
They are all good professionals though and dedicated to the cause. Just because Iliman decided he wanted to go to his hometown club in the end doesn't mean he wasn't dedicate here. And Marseille are a big club too, not like he's gone to Brest or something.
Not comparing them as footballers. Comparing what they mean to me as a fan of SUFC.

Can’t compare him with Billy Sharp. Sharp didn’t say he was going to sign for Scunny then go back on his word at the last minute. Scunny didn’t pick him up from non league and develop him. Aside from the loss of face for us this has really hurt our preparations. As I’ve said elsewhere if he’d just left in a normal way he’d go with my best (even with the come and get me plea to Marseille he gave during a TV interview)

Last edited:
I'm biased of course but for me he's twice the player that Brendan Johnson ever will be and he was being linked to a 40m move to Spurs this week.

So Marseilles used a bit of a low move by telling him now or never.

But let's see how this goes because he's ticking the box of pulling on the OM shirt. That's a goal achieved.

But what happens if OM need cash or a team like Barca comes knocking?

He realises he cannot win anything for OM. Then what?

Despite the Farmer's League tag, PSG have almost unlimited resources so only poor recruitment and managerial appointments are going to let Marseille in. So he'll be fighting against PSG domestic dominance. He'll also be outgunned in Europe. After a while and a realisation that he isn't going to win anything there and a Barca or Madrid start being linked, what then?

thats the thing why im not upset that he ndiaye left because that was inevitable, because his of brilliant talent.

but i am he left for marseille. its like everyone telling you if you wait. you could have the choice of all the most attractive women in the world. Margot Robbie, Taylor Swift, Emma Watson, Pixie Lott & instead you went for a woman you saw at tesco. marseille is way below his talents

thats the thing why im not upset that he ndiaye left because that was inevitable, because his of brilliant talent.

but i am he left for marseille. its like everyone telling you if you wait. you could have the choice of all the most attractive women in the world. Margot Robbie, Taylor Swift, Emma Watson, Pixie Lott & instead you went for a woman you saw at tesco. marseille is way below his talents
Funny thing is, they seem to have gained an almost Wednesday-esque inflated opinion of themselves being a Big Club that they probably won’t realise until it’s too late that they are also a stepping stone.

He isn’t going to win the Ballon d’or playing for Marseilles.

I
I think you mean Lille.

Lille have won it twice in the last 20 years, which is twice as much as Marseilles have.

It's going to be difficult for them to break PSG's dominance.

I'll probably still follow his progress a little. It might change over time but I'm struggling to get behind Marseilles right now though.

It is easy to hold others to high standards. I suppose it would have been easier to accept had they come in early with a strong offer and gave us time to replace. Instead they chose a persistent unofficial campaign through the media, only securing his favour by effectively blackmailing him that it was now or never and so close to the eve of the season. All a bit underhanded and shady. It's quite possibly how football is, but there were better ways to have gone about it.

I will say this; I thought Hecky was very magnanimous and he did himself or the club no harm in closing the chapter positively and professionally despite the range of emotions he must have endured when he thought he was signing a deal. Fair play to hif

Have your wife and kid harassed by North African unemployed youths or have local folk ask how you are duck, love etc? 😁

As you say you could go back and forth on this forever!

It all depends on what appeals to him. It seems his wife and kids were very comfortable in Sheffield. They may take to Marseilles but they may also not.

Either way, it won't be our concern anymore so GLTTL and his family. Despite his Portuguese brainfart, he's a nice kid and he never gave us anything less than 100%.

Just hope once he's ticked the home town club box and he wants to win something of note, and Barca comes knocking, that their fans are just as in favour to 'libérer' Starboy.

😉
I forget his name but he's injured.

Not comparing them as footballers. Comparing what they mean to me as a fan of SUFC.

Can’t compare him with Billy Sharp. Sharp didn’t say he was going to sign for Scunny then go back on his word at the last minute. Scunny didn’t pick him up from non league and develop him. Aside from the loss of face for us this has really hurt our preparations. As I’ve said elsewhere if he’d just left in a normal way he’d go with my best (even with the come and get me plea to Marseille he gave during a TV interview)
Well I certainly agree with you that Sharp is for me a proper hero at our club. Much more than N'Diaye for sure.
As are many others that you list.
N'Diaye will go down as one of the most talented I've seen personally and that he always put in 100% too.

It is though a very similar situation when Sharp was at Scunny, and we don't know what he said behind the scenes. Can't imagine that once we were in for him he batted an eyelid but he might have been saying he would stick around before then.

N'Diaye was being scouted by alot of clubs at Boreham Wood and we managed to get in there. I reckong good chance another club would have reaped the benefits had they got him.
But until intervention from Hecky we weren't really developing him well. Even that first season down as a club we had this promising player who we were being reluctant to give a new deal too so he wasn't being included within the squad. Again I think Hecky stepped in to stop him from moving to somewhere like Barnsley for a very nominal fee because as a club we weren't viewing him correctly and his potential.
After that the rest is history, but its not been plain sailing.

Not gonna lie the timing and the reported turnaround makes it disappointing but we can't take it too personally, and I don't feel it's fair to bash N'Diaye for it.
Funny thing is, they seem to have gained an almost Wednesday-esque inflated opinion of themselves being a Big Club that they probably won’t realise until it’s too late that they are also a stepping stone.

He isn’t going to win the Ballon d’or playing for Marseilles.
To be fair they are a big club. They regularly finish in the top few teams in Ligue1 they have every chance of winning a cup and compete in Europe.
They also get the highest average attendance in Ligue1 at 62,000.

True they might be a stepping stone for even bigger clubs if he does well but they are a big club none the less.

I'm glad he went there rather than having to watch him in another team in the prem

Reactions: SLB

Sharp didn’t get offered Champions League football. His ceiling pretty much corresponded to ours currently.

Kyle Walker is a slightly more appropriate comparison. He was destined to better things, we couldn’t or wouldn’t grow at the same rate.

Unitedites are all over Marseille's Twitter page, just as they were with ours.

I encourage everybody to go over there and annoy the fuck out of them, just as they did with us.

Back
Top Bottom