if Quinn develops a right foot by Wembley ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derrywan

Reaction score
crossing%20red%20sea.jpg

Man of the match today and some of you still have a 'dig'

Unbelievable thread , guy played great tonight and maybe the reason he has to turn back on to his left foot is because there is fuck all in front of him when it's on his right

I'd hazard a guess it's more of a light hearted observation than a dig...

Quinny did however have his best game of the season today for me. Big contrast with some of the performances over the last few months.

Thought him and Flynn worked well together first half.

quinny always plays better when he's had a bit of a rest.. MoM today though quinny.. all crimes are paid:D

You don't have to be able to be able to shoot or cross with both feet as long as you can control the ball and dribble with both feet. That doesn't just come from me that comes from my boss who is a youth development coach at Manchester United.

I'm not having a dig - he could lead us to the promised land if he plays with the confidence he should have in his rounded game. today he could have been even more effective!, though - when he gives himself the space and time to look around him and play his game as he's capable of it makes an enormous difference to us. well done today and bring everything to Wembley Mr. Quinn.

edit: maybe I should have called the thread ' if Quinn develops confidence in his right foot by Wembley'

He's obviously a bit one-footed (as are many players, Michael Carrick has a right foot and a shovel), but he really is essential to the football we try to play. Plus when he had to use his right, he pulled off a pretty good shot in the second half. As beforementioned, this obviously wasn't much of a dig, really.

You don't have to be able to be able to shoot or cross with both feet as long as you can control the ball and dribble with both feet. That doesn't just come from me that comes from my boss who is a youth development coach at Manchester United.

Surely it's a physical imposibility to cross with both feet - although I did see the Yak try to shoot with bith feet on MoTD tohter Satdi and I did see that Colombian keeper do the scorpion kick at Wembley with both feet.

I'd hazard a guess it's more of a light hearted observation than a dig...

Quinny did however have his best game of the season today for me. Big contrast with some of the performances over the last few months.

Thought him and Flynn worked well together first half.

i thought Flynn looked well out of his depth tonight, refused to run at anyone.

Quinn on the other looked like he wanted to win it more than anyone else out there. he did really well, despite no one actually wanting the ball off him.

i thought Flynn looked well out of his depth tonight, refused to run at anyone.

Harsh on Flynn - he keeps the balance on the left and protects Hill well.
He needs to build his physicality to be more effective going forward but works tremendously hard.
Thought he did a really good job tonight in creating a platform for Quinn to roam and do his stuff.

Harsh on Flynn - he keeps the balance on the left and protects Hill well.

Agreed, though he was one of our best players again. Works incredibly hard, always offers an outlet and protects his left back more than our other options.

Agreed, though he was one of our best players again. Works incredibly hard, always offers an outlet and protects his left back more than our other options.

i take ur point, but i think a winger should get the ball down n have a go at the full back, especially in a 5 man midfield. i didnt see him put a single decent cross in. that said, obviously i dont know what hes been told to do.

agreed he def needs to bulk up a bit!

No one was more one footed than Sabella IMO

Quinn was magnificent last night from start to finish. Whether in his defensive or creative work, he ran the show. If he had a right foot, he'd be in the Premier League.

But sorry, and although I think long term he may come good, I thought Flynn was really poor for all of the first half. Admittedly, he improved a bit in the second, but we had so little outlet on the left as Flynn couldn't get past anyone and Hill couldn't cross the ball when he overlapped.

I thought Flynn was really poor for all of the first half. Admittedly, he improved a bit in the second, but we had so little outlet on the left as Flynn couldn't get past anyone and Hill couldn't cross the ball when he overlapped.
Funny how I cannot remember Willo beating his man and getting to the byline to cross either but he doesn't get a slating. Just like Flynn Willo did do a hell of a lot of work on his side and especially on Freeman.
Both Willo and Flynn had specific jobs to do last night. Prevent the Stevenage full backs getting forward and offering width as well as supplementing our full backs by covering the runs of the Stevenage midfielders. That was their primary task given the formation we had. Willo is stronger and more experienced than Flynn so maybe that comes through more often. I have no problem with Flynn and thought he played his part last night very effectively. I'll bet you Danny Wilson has no complaints about his performance so give the lad a break - he does a lot more than you see.
Hill had his best game in a Blades shirt last night. His crossing is still very suspect but he was really up for it and defensively spot on. Having said that I was disappointed with most of our crossing apart from the obvious delivery, which was a peach.

Thing is Ken, when we play what is essentially a 4-5-1 formation, the wingers for me have to do more than offer defensive support to their respective full backs. I'm afraid Flynn didn't do that last night for all his good work helping out Hill. When he got the ball in a bit of space, he'd push slightly forward and then immediately cut back to give the ball to Collins, Harry or Doyle and all impetus would be gone. If he was told to do this, then it's Wilson's fault as it rarely (if ever) led to a chance.

And, regardless of anything, he lost the ball lots and lots in that first half; watch the replay. Whether it through getting tackled when trying to go past a player, or through a very misplaced pass, he removed any attacking threat from our left hand side.

As I say, I'm not against the lad entirely, (he's shown enough on occasion to offer hope long term) but that's not to say I won't criticise him when he has a poor game. Not going to boo, and I'll clap him off the pitch, but I'll not praise him for the sake of praise. What I will say is that when we have corner and he's on the pitch, he should be given the ball from time to time as he has a good cross on him.

And as for Willo, he offered a lot more when he drifted inside than Flynn did... and gave the ball away a hell of a lot less.

no wonder they're going down the pan then :D.. if you shoot with the foot that is natural for the situation then you get the shot off quicker thus giving the goalkeeper less time to set.. quinny must be easy to mark as you know that he will always check back on his left foot.. he did have a decent shot with his right foot at one point

no wonder they're going down the pan then :D.. if you shoot with the foot that is natural for the situation then you get the shot off quicker thus giving the goalkeeper less time to set.. quinny must be easy to mark as you know that he will always check back on his left foot.. he did have a decent shot with his right foot at one point

It comes down to the fact that you can take away from the players development if you spend too much time focusing on getting a player to be good on his weak foot as he is with his natural foot.

As of marking Quinn he still has the most assists of anyone in the league, showing that being tricky with both feet can be far more important than being a good crosser with your weak foot. He's so successful because he feints and shows a player where he wants them to go, then switches back once they're commited. Doesn't always work, some players wise up but he's been fairly succesful at it in his career. It can be frustrating as he sometime seemingly slows play down, but dowing this has also allowed Lowton to make his successfil crosses or ventures into the box on many occasions.

Heather mills ?
I thought Quinn was superb last night ,take the defensive responsibitities away from him and he actually gets back more than usual and is a much bigger influence on the game ,only trouble is we have to go with one up front in that case and it doesn't work all the time. Flynn does an incredible amount of work and its no coincidence that hill and Lowton played much better with Willo and Flynn in front of them.

hmm interesting.. you seem to know something about this.. tell me .. most of us knew at age ten who was going to be a good player or not.. what do coaches actually develop?? (genuinely interested.. not being sarcastic)

hmm interesting.. you seem to know something about this.. tell me .. most of us knew at age ten who was going to be a good player or not.. what do coaches actually develop?? (genuinely interested.. not being sarcastic)

Depends on the coach and age group really, I work with 3-11 year olds, the program I work for aims to build the confidence of the the player by teaching basic ball manipulations and focusing on technique of skills, I encourage as many touches as possible for players and focus on allowing them to express themselves creatively (Players average around 500 touches per session.) I also don't put pressure on players i.e. shout or coach from the sidelines, I give them a lot of freedom and also encourage them to think for themselves.
At Manchester Uniteds Academy itself that kind of work is done throughout all the youth age groups and we know how successful that is from witnessing them play last year in the Youth Final.

indeed .. i'm just interested in this as i think we tend to produce 'athletes' rather than footballers.. the two are not mutually inclusive IMHO.. it is interesting to think that most of the worlds most skilful players tend to come from areas where there isn't much coaching.. africa and south america :shrugs:

just as a matter of interest.. how many of MU's youth squad are english trained?? pogba is french isn't he??

Back
Top Bottom