I don't think this transfer Window will completely satisfy the masses....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Listening to Hecky's masterplan for this window, it seems that he has made his intentions very clear...

He is very much showing an old fashioned ... 1 is not enough.. 2 equals competition.... and 3 is a crowd, sort of bloke. Hence substandard verrips and Olsen departing and his old chum Davies coming into the club.

At the back, he is currently grafting hard to bring in the much needed Centre Half. It seems his emphasis there is younger and more athletic, looking at his rumoured targets. This sort of supports his overall plan of how he wants to move us forward.

But the forward two lines are probably going to remain untouched in terms of additions?

The bloke is all about numbers, which means trimming, as opposed to bolstering.

Burke has departed what Hecky describes as an oversubscribed forward department. No loss in the slightest.... he's done bugger all.

But it seems that the front two lines of the pitch are to remain untouched for now??....

I think this might be the gripe that a good few fans will have come the end of the window.

It seems he is very much going for a play it out and see scenario now. He will strengthen at the back and then see how far this team of lads can actually go. At the same time, he's probably going to cherry pick a few young uns from the u23's and give them a run out.

The emphasis has very much changed hasn't it?

To be fair a sensible approach, the forward line should be good enough for the championship, when MGW is fit the midfield should be good enough. Definitely need a centre half and if we can blood in a few U23s then best time to do it.
This - with the emphasis on sensible and this championship which is quite frankly pants

and as someone said ----

we have no money

This - with the emphasis on sensible and this championship which is quite frankly pants

and as someone said ----

we have no money
Yeah pretty much, I am pleased in some way that we aren't trying to buy ourselves out in the hope we spoof a miracle and actually score in a playoff final nevermind win or make the playoffs in the first place. I think the summer will be more telling as to who is retained etc

The football world outside the mega rich bank rolled clubs has changed with COVID. Clubs especially those in the Championship lost shed loads of money even before COVID hit revenue and costs. there will be a number who fail FFP before the end of the season. Clubs will not be able to gamble and pay big wages and transfer fees any more It isn't just the blades, look at the lack of activity in total. there are (and always have been) talented youngsters who never quite make it, hardly surprising with the managerial merry go round at most clubs. I like the approach we appear to be taking in snapping up some of these. Hopefully we can couple this with the development of a CAT 1 Academy and also develop some links with lower league clubs like Southend and Burton. Of course not all these young players will end up being regulars for the first team but hopefully they will have some pathway in football even if it is not for us. I am pleased that Regan Slater has got his move and will get to play professional football. Ben Whiteman is another one. This won't go unnoticed when young players released by Premiership clubs at 18 are looking for places to continue their careers and development.

We're in the process of transformation and the first step is to get rid of people and cost cutting.

I expect a CB to come in and that's it.

No, it probably won't be good enough to get us in the play-offs, but it is what it is.

Reckless spending has led to this. A squad with half a third of the players at the end of their career and a third overpriced, overrated and likely unsellable without taking a huge hit.

We're stuck with this midfield, with perhaps one addition until Berge goes. We're stuck with these strikers until summer. If by some miracle we get rid of Mousset and Freeman we might see a replacement, but unlikely.

I suspect older players will be allowed to leave, principally that we won't be able to bring in fresh players if we extend their contracts.

I can't imagine Brewster and Jebbison as a strikeforce. You need experience in there. Unless there's a second coming of the McBurnie then that's an increasingly ineffective Sharp of his replacement

The squad is not good enough to win promotion but there is no money going to be spent to fix that: the board have made this clear.

The interesting times will come in the summer, where we will have to sign some players. I hope recruitment picks up from the general awfulness we have seen since summer 2019.

We're in the process of transformation and the first step is to get rid of people and cost cutting.

I expect a CB to come in and that's it.

No, it probably won't be good enough to get us in the play-offs, but it is what it is.

Reckless spending has led to this. A squad with half a third of the players at the end of their career and a third overpriced, overrated and likely unsellable without taking a huge hit.

We're stuck with this midfield, with perhaps one addition until Berge goes. We're stuck with these strikers until summer. If by some miracle we get rid of Mousset and Freeman we might see a replacement, but unlikely.

I suspect older players will be allowed to leave, principally that we won't be able to bring in fresh players if we extend their contracts.

I can't imagine Brewster and Jebbison as a strikeforce. You need experience in there. Unless there's a second coming of the McBurnie then that's an increasingly ineffective Sharp of his replacement

Taking a huge hit on transfer fees granted but not the worst idea now when it comes to freeing up wages. Although players have some value. If a £2 million bid came in for Berge or McBurnie it would be difficult to turn down based on cash in the bank and wage structure savings. Freeman is likely to live up to his name in the summer and go on a free/contract not renewed, I am surprised we haven't (could have been) trying to offload him now even if for a few hundred K better than nothing and paying out 5 months wages.

I say we need a centre back and a midfielder.

Other than that we should be good.

I'd be tempted to recall Lowe from Forest and send RND out on loan.

The squad is not good enough to win promotion but there is no money going to be spent to fix that: the board have made this clear.

The interesting times will come in the summer, where we will have to sign some players. I hope recruitment picks up from the general awfulness we have seen since summer 2019.
I wonder how long the laissez-faire approach to transfer windows will go on?

We've had 2 JTW's on the bounce where we've conceded any kind of ambition we had at the start of the season. Then in the summer we'll be trying like mad to get rid of the expensive shite that got us into this mess to start with.

I wonder how long the laissez-faire approach to transfer windows will go on?

We've had 2 JTW's on the bounce where we've conceded any kind of ambition we had at the start of the season. Then in the summer we'll be trying like mad to get rid of the expensive shite that got us into this mess to start with.
This regime will not spend significant funds any more. So we might be stuck with this for a few years yet.

What will be interesting is if they spend to get out of trouble. McCabe didn’t in 2010-11 and regretted it, so he did in 2013-14 after the Prince came in and Clough came in. We will likely see next year whether the Prince will.

Taking a huge hit on transfer fees granted but not the worst idea now when it comes to freeing up wages. Although players have some value. If a £2 million bid came in for Berge or McBurnie it would be difficult to turn down based on cash in the bank and wage structure savings. Freeman is likely to live up to his name in the summer and go on a free/contract not renewed, I am surprised we haven't (could have been) trying to offload him now even if for a few hundred K better than nothing and paying out 5 months wages.
I suspect Freeman and Mousset are available for free but no one is likely to match their wages. We struggled to even loan Freeman when we were in the EPL. We might get shut of them on loan for the rest of the season, but seems unlikely unless we're going to pick up half their wages.

I doubt we'd take that much of a hit on Berge or McBurnie. If they hit form for a few months they'd fetch high single millions.

The football world outside the mega rich bank rolled clubs has changed with COVID. Clubs especially those in the Championship lost shed loads of money even before COVID hit revenue and costs. there will be a number who fail FFP before the end of the season. Clubs will not be able to gamble and pay big wages and transfer fees any more It isn't just the blades, look at the lack of activity in total. there are (and always have been) talented youngsters who never quite make it, hardly surprising with the managerial merry go round at most clubs. I like the approach we appear to be taking in snapping up some of these. Hopefully we can couple this with the development of a CAT 1 Academy and also develop some links with lower league clubs like Southend and Burton. Of course not all these young players will end up being regulars for the first team but hopefully they will have some pathway in football even if it is not for us. I am pleased that Regan Slater has got his move and will get to play professional football. Ben Whiteman is another one. This won't go unnoticed when young players released by Premiership clubs at 18 are looking for places to continue their careers and development.
Good post, probably a good reason why we are not shifting players like we would want to or normally would. Money is tight for everyone and strangely enough, Burke had much better re-sale value than Mousset or Freeman currently have so makes sense that he went and the others haven't gone out yet.

We have money, the parachute payments and ramsdale transfer doesnt vanish. Theres money there but prince doesnt want to spend it
We didn't make that much money from Ramsdale. We bought him for around £18mil, sold him for £24mil. Arsenal will be paying that over time, not in a lump sum. So over two seasons that's only £3mil per season. Some of that money will have been absorbed by Olsen, Davies MGW's wages on loan. Some of that money will have been used to pay off Slav when he was sacked. Some of the parachute money was already spent in previous transfer windows, and the Prince owed McCabe £50mil, which needed to come out of this.

These things aren't always black and white.

Messed around with 3 keepers leaving the club finally got a backup at the end of the window. Hecky says he wants 2 for every position well all clubs have that but are they good enough. Hecky is just seeing why Wilder and Slav left, empty promises from the board .The difference is Hecky will put up with it and keep his job.

We are Sheffield United, are we not?

How have we done this in the past? Yup. Build a team from inexpensive unknowns and semi-gifted nobodies and scrap our way to the top. Then we can buy, and buy big.

Two things:

1. We bought big last time. We also bought shit.

2. We still own that big shit

Um. That's it.

pommpey

Our tinpot Board will hold us back. Happened under McCabe and despite showing some ambition in the PL it looks like the tinpot years are back. Missing out on a much needed central defender to smaller Championship clubs is pathetic but that’s where we are.

As the club said, it's not about results, it's about player development now.

We didn't make that much money from Ramsdale. We bought him for around £18mil, sold him for £24mil. Arsenal will be paying that over time, not in a lump sum. So over two seasons that's only £3mil per season. Some of that money will have been absorbed by Olsen, Davies MGW's wages on loan. Some of that money will have been used to pay off Slav when he was sacked. Some of the parachute money was already spent in previous transfer windows, and the Prince owed McCabe £50mil, which needed to come out of this.

These things aren't always black and white.

We've recently taken a loan out against the fee so we don't have to wait for it. What we do with this sudden cash injection is anyone's guess.. Buy more clubs for the Prince to drive into the ground?

Back
Top Bottom