How should we approach the last 3 games?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bring in Sharp, Fleck and Norwood for experience and see what Brooks, Coulibali, Osula and Arblaster are made of alongside the experienced head.

Expect Stevens to get a final swansong, same with Basham.

Predict 75% of the old guard will be gone after this season.

Need to understand if those kids are ready to make a difference and save us a bit of cash.
Bash will play the odd game/sub appearances next season

I'd line up:
Wes
Bash Egan Clark
Bogle - - - - - - - - - - - - Lowe
Coulibaly - - Fleck
Brooks
Jebbison - Sharp
Subs: Davies, McBurnie, Arblaster, Gordon, Stevens, Osborn, Osula
Pretty certain that counts as fielding a weakened side

I'd line up:
Wes
Bash Egan Clark
Bogle - - - - - - - - - - - - Lowe
Coulibaly - - Fleck
Brooks
Jebbison - Sharp
Subs: Davies, McBurnie, Arblaster, Gordon, Stevens, Osborn, Osula
Wow, might as well put Davies in goal as well

Where are people getting this idea that McBurnie needs to "save his career"? He's been class for most of this season, we've got another year option on his contract and you just have to look at the body language between him and Hecky after FT last night to see he's going to be here next season, and rightly so. I will be amazed if he doesn't start the first PL game.
The thought of McBurnie getting a new contract and pay rise fills me with horror

Firstly, fantastic evening and lovely achievement- and what a luxury to be up with 3 games to spare!

So how should we approach them? Firstly its worth noting EFL rules, as we don't want any point deductions:

"EFL regulations say full strength sides must be fielded in league matches.

The regulations also state that "from the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the league game before". The team sheet includes substitutes"

For me:

- Billy Sharp should play every second of every game to give him every opportunity to reach the 250 goals milestone. If we get a penalty he'll take it, can even get him on freekicks as well.

- It would be nice if JOC was able to come on for the last minute of one of the games to get a rousing reception. However that may not be likely if it affects an alleged legal situation. Same with Brewster and RND.

- Berge and Ndiaye should not play at all. They are our two most valuable players and are out of contract at the end of next season. We'll either need to get a fee for them or rely on them heavily, we cannot afford any risk of them doing their ACL in etc or we are stuffed before we even start next season. The same could be argued regarding Doyle and McAtee, on the one hand City will want them to get games, on the other hand perhaps not if the matches are meaningless. Might be worth asking what they would like us to do.

- As pommpey said last night there are some players who need to pull their socks off and demonstrate that they can offer something next season. They should also play as much as possible, namely Lowe, Davies, Bogle, McBurnie, Fleck and Jebbison. Basham probably will be here next season but it would be good for him to play as well, possibly in place of Anel.

- Where we can within the rules, get as many youth players some minutes. Ball_Sup (Phil) any suggestions?

- If Huddersfield are safe on the final day, let Neil join in with our celebrations if he wants to. He is a Blade after all!

- Finally, even if Burnley get a points deduction which would mean we could still win the title, I wouldn't bother going all out to chase them down, its not worth it.

Anything else?

UTB
Birmingham is the final day -dead rubber for them nothing at stake

If I was hecky, my line up for Preston, Hudders and Birmingham would be;

1 DAVIES

26 CLARK 12 EGAN (c) 19 ROBINSON

39 SACHDEV 42 ARBLASTER 17 COULIBALY 28 MCATEE 3 STEVENS

38 JEBBISON 10 SHARP

Subs
21 DEWHURST
2 BALDOCK
9 MCBURNIE
15 AHMEDHODZIC
16 NORWOOD
22 DOYLE
35 BROOKS

NOTE: 55 mins in - take Sharp off for McBurnie in every game. As soon as Sharp gets to 250, replace him with McBurnie so he is given a chance to save his career at the lane.

Firstly, fantastic evening and lovely achievement- and what a luxury to be up with 3 games to spare!

So how should we approach them? Firstly its worth noting EFL rules, as we don't want any point deductions:

The regulations also state that "from the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the league game before". The team sheet includes substitutes"

For me:

- Billy Sharp should play every second of every game to give him every opportunity to reach the 250 goals milestone. If we get a penalty he'll take it, can even get him on freekicks as well.

- It would be nice if JOC was able to come on for the last minute of one of the games to get a rousing reception. However that may not be likely if it affects an alleged legal situation. Same with Brewster and RND.

- Berge and Ndiaye should not play at all. They are our two most valuable players and are out of contract at the end of next season. We'll either need to get a fee for them or rely on them heavily, we cannot afford any risk of them doing their ACL in etc or we are stuffed before we even start next season. The same could be argued regarding Doyle and McAtee, on the one hand City will want them to get games, on the other hand perhaps not if the matches are meaningless. Might be worth asking what they would like us to do.

- As pommpey said last night there are some players who need to pull their socks off and demonstrate that they can offer something next season. They should also play as much as possible, namely Lowe, Davies, Bogle, McBurnie, Fleck and Jebbison. Basham probably will be here next season but it would be good for him to play as well, possibly in place of Anel.

- Where we can within the rules, get as many youth players some minutes. Ball_Sup (Phil) any suggestions?

- If Huddersfield are safe on the final day, let Neil join in with our celebrations if he wants to. He is a Blade after all!

- Finally, even if Burnley get a points deduction which would mean we could still win the title, I wouldn't bother going all out to chase them down, its not worth it.

Anything else?

UTB
Completely wrong and disrespectful to those other teams in the league - Preston can make play offs Huddersfield can get relegated - we should play the strongest teams available in both games ( maybe Billy up top) and lay to win .Thats the honourable professional thing to do. Birmingham is a dead rubber for them so thats the one we need and could make massive changes

For me:

Anything else?

UTB
I think it's worth reminding that Arblaster & Brooks (but not Jebbison & Osula) are sort of 3rd XI. In that they are "behind" the host of Academy Lads we have out on loan in the professional pyramid. Your Neal, Brunt, Broadbent, Maguire, Boyes things.

If we are to have break out players from the Academy next season, will they come from those younger, less experienced players who have been at Shirecliffe all year? Or will they come from the older, more experienced players who have spent a long time on loan.

Rhys N-D is the most recent example of an Academy Slow Burner who spent a lot of time away from The Lane and Shirecliffe on loan. And then cemented his place in the First Team.

Play to win as always ,same 15-16 players deserve it,they,ve done the job.

As much as I would love to see a load of kids in the team, it doesn’t really benefit any of them if there are too many. I would be 2 different ones in the starting line up of the next 3 games and let them play with the senior players. Top of my list are Jebbison, Coulibaly, Arblaster, Brooks and then Ousala. Wouldn’t mind seeing the left back from the U-23 Jill something or other.

I think it's worth reminding that Arblaster & Brooks (but not Jebbison & Osula) are sort of 3rd XI. In that they are "behind" the host of Academy Lads we have out on loan in the professional pyramid. Your Neal, Brunt, Broadbent, Maguire, Boyes things.

If we are to have break out players from the Academy next season, will they come from those younger, less experienced players who have been at Shirecliffe all year? Or will they come from the older, more experienced players who have spent a long time on loan.

Rhys N-D is the most recent example of an Academy Slow Burner who spent a lot of time away from The Lane and Shirecliffe on loan. And then cemented his place in the First Team.
Is Harry Boyes a left back ?

Wes
Bogle Basham Egan Clark Lowe
Coulibaly Blaster Fleck
Sharp Jebbo
Would be my team for Preston.
Also allowing Doyle, McAtee, Norwood, Brooks, Osula and anyone else I have missed.
Of course I would still play Ndiaye, McBurnie, Anel, Baldock but I thin prioritising those lads above minutes should be our main goal now.

Given that Anel is on 12 bookings, and if he reaches 15 he gets a three game suspension, then if he plays, and he gets booked on Saturday - he shouldn`t be anywhere near the squad for the remaining two games

Given that Anel is on 12 bookings, and if he reaches 15 he gets a three game suspension, then if he plays, and he gets booked on Saturday - he shouldn`t be anywhere near the squad for the remaining two games

Would that even apply in the PL? Genuinely no idea

Just play a full strength team. Winning is a habit which carries on into next season. No one needs resting for fear of injury. That can happen anytime. Every player has to earn the right to start. Fleck has not done that. There’s no room for sentimentality. The team which started last night should play the next three unless injured, they’ve earned it and will want to play.
Agree except the impact on next season.

Fulham absolutely phoned it in the last few games of last season and it did zero damage to them this season!

Start Sharp and Jebbison.
Give the likes of Coulibally, Brooks, Osula etc some game time.

Give Jebbo a run now. We know the other strikers aside from Ndiyae definitely won't be good enough in the Premier League, so give game time to the one that might. Any kids that have half a chance of stepping up, give them a run now ahead of those that won't make the grade or be here next season.

Interesting to note the writing off of certain of our strikers, when the most recent available evidence of how they might cope against top flight defenders - from the second-half of a match just 5 days ago against arguably the best side in the world - suggests that experience and know-how can be a very useful asset in discomforting some top defenders…

Interesting to note the writing off of certain of our strikers, when the most recent available evidence of how they might cope against top flight defenders - from the second-half of a match just 5 days ago against arguably the best side in the world - suggests that experience and know-how can be a very useful asset in discomforting some top defenders…
McBurnie has had FOUR seasons with united as a CENTRE-FORWARD and has averaged less than 5 goals a season. We've carried him most of the season bar his freak never-to-be-repeated purple patch before the World Cup. We'd have finished 1st this season if Ndiyae had a forward of Premier League quality alongside him.

If I was hecky, my line up for Preston, Hudders and Birmingham would be;

1 DAVIES

26 CLARK 12 EGAN (c) 19 ROBINSON

39 SACHDEV 42 ARBLASTER 17 COULIBALY 28 MCATEE 3 STEVENS

38 JEBBISON 10 SHARP

Subs
21 DEWHURST
2 BALDOCK
9 MCBURNIE
15 AHMEDHODZIC
16 NORWOOD
22 DOYLE
35 BROOKS

NOTE: 55 mins in - take Sharp off for McBurnie in every game. As soon as Sharp gets to 250, replace him with McBurnie so he is given a chance to save his career at the lane.
Why would you do that? They’ve been promoted, but I’m sure they still would like to carry on playing football and not finish for the summer in April ffs 😂

You’re not giving the players that have earned this the opportunity to play with freedom and no pressure.

I think you gradually feed the kids into the squad.

Start Sharp and Jebbo upfront next game
start Bogle
bring Arblaster, Osula, Brooks into the squad.
Tell Anel to go and be with his girlfriend and start Bash

Bring in players who are with us next season.
I understand this for one game, but definitely not all 3. I want us winning all 3 and finishing over 90pts.

An interesting take. No doubt he'd be better protected but I wonder if we should prioritise protecting a player defensively when they themselves have defensive responsibilities?

Accommodating Norwood there would have a knock-on effect going forward, too. We don't currently have anyone capable of playing alongside him in a pair and where would it leave Berge?

To me it feels like he's become 'half a player', meaning we're having to play other players or sacrifice others in order to accommodate him. Selecting a player shouldn't come with this sort of pay off.
Seriously, if a player needs ' protecting' he shouldn't be in the squad ?

Couldn't give a crap how many points we'll end up on.

I would play our best team against Huddersfield though, just to give Warnock more fuel for his Burnley complaint!
The players will care. They enjoy playing football, they’ll not want to be on a beach just yet

The players will care. They enjoy playing football, they’ll not want to be on a beach just yet
I suspect Hecky will play a strong team for the last 3 games, but let's be honest it doesn't really matter. I want to win every game, but giving a few a runout might be more beneficial in the long-term.

Like giving Jebbo all 3 games.

McBurnie has had FOUR seasons with united as a CENTRE-FORWARD and has averaged less than 5 goals a season.

This is almost as bad analysis as someone saying "well x has only scored 20 goals in 120 games, what's that, half of them were off the bench, nah nah nah can't hear you". How much has he actually played in those four seasons? Again, if you think he's shit, that's fine, but even Haaland would struggle to score 20 a season if he was injured a third of the time and only coming off the bench another third of the time

Completely wrong and disrespectful to those other teams in the league - Preston can make play offs Huddersfield can get relegated - we should play the strongest teams available in both games ( maybe Billy up top) and lay to win .Thats the honourable professional thing to do. Birmingham is a dead rubber for them so thats the one we need and could make massive changes
But I think making some of these changes WOULD BE fielding the strongest side - not because they are objectively better players, but because they would be players coming in fresh, with a point to prove, replacing players who are physically and psychologically drained from the season so far. I don't think even Baldock could summon another performance like that this season.

Also, if you play that squad on Saturday, it will be like Sunday league where you have hungover players having to leave the pitch to hurl

We don't want to risk a point deduction for fielding a weakened side, Preston and Huddersfield still have something too play for.
We need to study the rules carefully and ensure we don’t break then by playing players which would breach the rules. Other clubs will potentially be affected in terms of playoff places and relegation if we play a “weakened“ team. But we cannot risk a points deduction or any other penalty just for the sake of giving the kids a goo.

Back
Top Bottom