Hamer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What is Gus Hamer best role?

• Deep Lying Midfielder?

Votes: 43 12.0%
  • Box to Box?

Votes: 151 42.3%
  • Attacking midfielder?

Votes: 137 38.4%
  • Wide man?

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Bench?

Votes: 22 6.2%

• Total voters
He's obviously missing Cov and the standard of coaching, motivation and lifestyle he had in the championship.

I know (facts btw not rumours) he was a regular at a few pubs around Lemington Spa and loves his booze & the odd party. That lifestyle doesn't steps up to the Premier League tbh which is why he's looking overweight and unfit. Especially if he's been seen eating kebabs in Dronfield 😂👀

However a player with huge potential just not with us unfortunately.

He's had a lot of personal shit to deal with and wasn't in a good place at all when we signed him. That maybe one if the reasons Coventry decided to offload him and why the deal seemingly came out of the blue and happened so quickly.

I think he is a top level Championship standard and naturally finding things harder with a change in formation, a step up and the whole team shot in confidence.
I also think he would be more comfortable in a team what doesn't rely so much on Norwood's game.
Will Wilder change the way we play in midfield? Generally we were more possession based under Wilder, which will help Hamer I feel.

When we signed him Hecky came out and said he was a boneless box to boneless box midfielder, but then constantly pushes him up top or out wide where he doesn't get the ball. Square pegs in round holes. Why not play him in his natural position?

Fixed it for ya 😉

I think this thread needs resurrecting a little. I've seen a few comments on twitter about Hamer, negative comments.
This guy is going to be one of our legends if we keep him for a good length of time.
He's unfortunately stuck in a current team that cannot compete with the opposition, or struggles too, but if (when) we go down, next year he'll be incredible and then we'll go up with a better overall squad and a better manager where he'll have a better opportunity to showcase his talents.
He's made a few mistakes this season defensively, but he's covering areas and mistakes from other players he shouldn't have too.

I think this thread needs resurrecting a little. I've seen a few comments on twitter about Hamer, negative comments.
This guy is going to be one of our legends if we keep him for a good length of time.
He's unfortunately stuck in a current team that cannot compete with the opposition, or struggles too, but if (when) we go down, next year he'll be incredible and then we'll go up with a better overall squad and a better manager where he'll have a better opportunity to showcase his talents.
He's made a few mistakes this season defensively, but he's covering areas and mistakes from other players he shouldn't have too.
Better manager?

Have we seen enough of him in the deep lying midfielder role to know that's not good for him? Isn't that where he excelled for Coventry (as part of a double pivot)?

Last edited:
From Coventrys best player to this shitshow. Think he'll be a good player in a good team, he's got a reyt shot but confidence is shot to shit right now.
I think this. He's been very disappointing in my opinion. Signs of quality but too many mistakes. I'm not going to vote but I'd vote bench if there was a body better to pick

Big fan of the signing, has shown glimpses of ability but so far i’m pretty disappointed in him. Makes a fair few mistakes. I hope wilder can coach him to stop rushing and forcing balls that aren’t on, he’s a little erratic IMO. So his decision making needs sharpening up and attacking/defensive play tuning as well. Definitely a player in there but i’ve not seen enough. Davies might take his spot if he’s not careful.

He’s doing okay at the moment, he’s improved under Wilder for sure. Think Brooks adds to his game.

He seems a tad over priced but I’m hopeful next season we will see the best of him!

He's good. Think by the end of the season barring any injuries he will be up there as one of our better performers.

Wilder is bringing out the better in him.

Better manager?
Sorry, thought Wilder had only signed until the end of next season?? So possibility he won't be the manager if we come back up?

Sorry, thought Wilder had only signed until the end of next season?? So possibility he won't be the manager if we come back up?
If wilder keeps us up he will be given an extension. If he takes us up first time of asking he also will be too .

If wilder keeps us up he will be given an extension. If he takes us up first time of asking he also will be too .
You'd think so, hopefully your right.

If Wilder contract is up at the end of the season. Then he will be given a multi year deal at the end of the season. I would give him one now but we need to see how he reacts with a transfer window to see if he comes out and slags the board etc.

I think it would have been a multi year deal anyway however they probably want to make sure CW is playing fair.

So disappointed in him. He’s been appalling tonight. Needs benching. Has shown he can be quality in patches, but he’s stepped down when he needed to step up.

No fight or desire, combined with terrible tackling and covering play. He’s offered us fuck all tonight.

Man of the people. Salt of the earth the lads in the penny (mind you must be a good few years since I've been in).

The difficulty for any new player this season is with such a bad start results wise there is very little obvious positives on their ability.

In my view Hamer is a defensive midfielder. He has very good positional sense in that role and he tries to cover off any off the ball runners. In that role he reacts to the breaking ball fairly well so he does read the game. Premier League class? No....just like the whole squad, He will be fine in the championship. Overall our prospects have less to do with Hamer and Souza and more to do with Strikers wide players and centre halves. Its who we replace with someone better is going to define our direction.

I’m torn between pancake roll or sausage roll.

He’s a quality footballer with a great touch and shot but maybe just lacks that bit extra to be a week in week out premier league 7/10.

Looking at the body shape of the top level players nowadays, I think that he probably needs to shift some pounds to become more athletic.

Back
Top Bottom