Hamer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What is Gus Hamer best role?

• Deep Lying Midfielder?

Votes: 43 12.1%
  • Box to Box?

Votes: 151 42.5%
  • Attacking midfielder?

Votes: 135 38.0%
  • Wide man?

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Bench?

Votes: 22 6.2%

• Total voters

Bladezz

Reaction score
What is Gus Hamar best role for us?

I keep seeing Hamer isn’t playing in his right role. But I don’t know what his role even is?

He was bought to replace Ndiaye and when he’s playing attacking half of us say he’s out of position? I don’t even know his position any more.

Pretty split at the moment

It’s more how we don’t even know what player he actually is.

He's obviously missing Cov and the standard of coaching, motivation and lifestyle he had in the championship.

I know (facts btw not rumours) he was a regular at a few pubs around Lemington Spa and loves his booze & the odd party. That lifestyle doesn't steps up to the Premier League tbh which is why he's looking overweight and unfit. Especially if he's been seen eating kebabs in Dronfield 😂👀

However a player with huge potential just not with us unfortunately.

He's obviously missing Cov and the standard of coaching, motivation and lifestyle he had in the championship.

I know (facts btw not rumours) he was a regular at a few pubs around Lemington Spa and loves his booze & the odd party. That lifestyle doesn't steps up to the Premier League tbh which is why he's looking overweight and unfit. Especially if he's been seen eating kebabs in Dronfield 😂👀

However a player with huge potential just not with us unfortunately.
Can confirm.

Upping his standards and switching on the professionalism will be hard though, regardless of pay packet. Imagine walking into a shit show of a new firm and being emplored to give your absolute all. Your head would go pretty quickly and you'd struggle to settle. I fear we'll waste him.

When we signed him Hecky came out and said he was a box to box midfielder, but then constantly pushes him up top or out wide where he doesn't get the ball. Square pegs in round holes. Why not play him in his natural position?

When we signed him Hecky came out and said he was a box to box midfielder, but then constantly pushes him up top or out wide where he doesn't get the ball. Square pegs in round holes. Why not play him in his natural position?
It seems we have watched him for 14 games and we all have a different opinion on him.

Norwood is the deep lying midfielder at the moment for us so realistically any other position he should be okay with.

It seems we have watched him for 14 games and we all have a different opinion on him.

Norwood is the deep lying midfielder at the moment for us so realistically any other position he should be okay with.
Norwood might be the deep lying midfielder but he sucks at it and players just run through him as he hasn't got the athleticism to track them, or the effort levels or mentality to try. We get bypassed time and time again. It doesn't work anymore, but hey, let's keep trying it again anyway.

Norwood might be the deep lying midfielder but he sucks at it and players just run through him as he hasn't got the athleticism to track them, or the effort levels or mentality to try. We get bypassed time and time again. It doesn't work anymore, but hey, let's keep trying it again anyway.

We don’t have anyone else that’s the main issue. Whether he’s good or bad there’s no one in our team that even has the capacity to play a 20 yard pass.

We don’t have anyone else that’s the main issue. Whether he’s good or bad there’s no one in our team that even has the capacity to play a 20 yard pass.
Play Hamer there instead. That's kind of my point.

If fit.

------------------ Foderingham --------------‐---
Baldock -- Trusty -- Robinson -- Larouci
Bogle -- Hamer -- Slimane -- Traore
---------------------- McAtee ---------------------
----------------------- Archer ----------------------

It's not perfect but it plays to players strengths and removes Thomas, Anel, Norwood and Souza, who have all been dire. We can't keep sticking with these four as they've let us down time and time again and it's madness to start them.

Baldock is crap going forward but stronger in defence than Bogle, Bogle is the opposite, good going forward, crap defending. Traore is a winger not a striker. Hamer can play box to box and Slimane can't really be judged as he's overlooked in favour of the ineffective Souza/Norwood. Larouci can't be any worse than Thomas and I wouldn't start Lowe in League One.

We keep getting exposed because of the gaps that our current formation leaves. This would tighten things up and leave McAtee as the link up and foil for Archer, somewhat in the Duffy role.

If fit.

It's not perfect but it plays to players strengths and removes Thomas, Anel, Norwood and Souza, who have all been dire. We can't keep sticking with these four as they've let us down time and time again and it's madness to start them.

Baldock is crap going forward but stronger in defence than Bogle, Bogle is the opposite, good going forward, crap defending. Traore is a winger not a striker. Hamer can play box to box and Slimane can't really be judged as he's overlooked in favour of the ineffective Souza/Norwood. Larouci can't be any worse than Thomas and I wouldn't start Lowe in League One.

We keep getting exposed because of the gaps that our current formation leaves. This would tighten things up and leave McAtee as the link up and foil for Archer, somewhat in the Duffy role.
Baldock has been fantastic going forward for us.

Baldock has been fantastic going forward for us.
I'd have to disagree with that. He often gets forward and beats his man, then when he has a chance to cross it early he passes backwards instead. He then asks for it back and puts in a cross by which point the defence have had time to drop back. Instead of an early cross going in and the strikers having a 2 against 2 situation, we end up with 4-5 against 2. Even then the ball coming in lacks pace as it's practically a dead ball as the hold up has taken any momentum out of it, while the early ball crossed while it's still moving would have had some venom behind it. I like Baldock but this sums up his attacking contribution over the last couple of seasons. Leave him to defend and let Bogle in front attack. It's the biggest thing that's always annoyed me about Baldock.

If fit.

I think that team loses by more yesterday.

Traore unfortunately isn’t anywhere near good enough for Sheffield United. Picked from nowhere as a gamble and he’s been terrible. I think he’s more league 2 / conference level.

Hamer cannot tackle so can never be played at the bottom. We saw him for the first goal today.

Slimane is the same as Traore. But for him he’s so immobile it’s impossible to get him onto the pitch.

Needs a proper manager, may need the championship. Will get the championship next season without a dramatic improvement

Needs a proper manager, may need the championship. Will get the championship next season without a dramatic improvement
I always thought he’d shine in a crap team - we’d get relegated and he move onto another prem club next season. Looks like he’ll be with us in championship next season

I think he's a box-to-box midfielder.

On Saturday, when he burst forward from halfway and fed it to Osula, that was great. More of that please, that was get out of your seat stuff.

Sumat like this?

1701701235168.png

I think he's a box-to-box midfielder.

On Saturday, when he burst forward from halfway and fed it to Osula, that was great. More of that please, that was get out of your seat stuff.

Sumat like this?

View attachment 175640
The only problem with this is that teams will target the right flank as they know Souza is slow and immobile, or they'll run through the gap between him and Norwood knowing neither has the legs to stop them.

If you had a player on each flank with one up top then maybe. If we play 4 at the back then we need 4 or 5 across midfield to plug the holes and protect the flanks. A 4-2-3-1 would work better or 4-3-2-1 with the two advanced players being on the flanks.

We don't have the players or mobility to play 2 up top with 1 behind leaving 3 in midfield. That's been our undoing all season. We need to go a bit deeper and negate the gaps that teams have been exploiting, much like we did against City in the first half.

The only problem with this is that teams will target the right flank as they know Souza is slow and immobile, or they'll run through the gap between him and Norwood knowing neither has the legs to stop them.

If you had a player on each flank with one up top then maybe. If we play 4 at the back then we need 4 or 5 across midfield to plug the holes and protect the flanks. A 4-2-3-1 would work better or 4-3-2-1 with the two advanced players being on the flanks.
But we don't have players to play out wide, other than our wing backs.
Both Hamer and McAtee have been played wide and neither can do it. Maybe Osborn and Bogle?

1701701977668.png

It's getting to the stage where we may need to just tighten up fully and flood the midfield. That means that McAtee probably drops out. He's a luxury player and we need more industry at the minute.

Unless we did something like this?

1701701801569.png

But i'd say to keep it tight in midfield, we need McAtee or Hamer, not both:

1701701896010.png

Both Hamer and McAtee have been played wide and neither can do it. Maybe Osborn and Bogle?

View attachment 175645

It's getting to the stage where we may need to just tighten up fully and flood the midfield. That means that McAtee probably drops out. He's a luxury player and we need more industry at the minute.

View attachment 175643

View attachment 175644
The top one would get my pick, even if it meant starting Ozzy. No more three at the back. It causes more problems than it does solutions. I'd swap Larouci for Robinson and take Anel out, he's garbage and Robinson has been our best central defender. If you are going to swap a central defender out then push Trusty to left back and leave Jack with Anel. I'd also swap out Norwood for Slimane. He can't be any worse, surely?

View attachment 175645

View attachment 175643

View attachment 175644
I think you'll very much see the same old same on Wednesday. The players will have had a strange day of training today, Wilder will have 2/3 hours with the players tomorrow where its a day before the game so it won't be full on.

If we get smashed then its fully expected, he's not had chance to do anything mentally, tactically or match preparation.

I think you'll very much see the same old same on Wednesday. The players will have had a strange day of training today, Wilder will have 2/3 hours with the players tomorrow where its a day before the game so it won't be full on.

If we get smashed then its fully expected, he's not had chance to do anything mentally, tactically or match preparation.
That's why I'd rather he doesn't officially take over until Thursday. Let a caretaker take charge for Liverpool, we were going to lose that anyway and goal difference won't matter at the end of the season. Let us lose on Wednesday and concentrate on Saturday, not that Brentford are any easier.

From Coventrys best player to this shitshow. Think he'll be a good player in a good team, he's got a reyt shot but confidence is shot to shit right now.

Had a long range go at Burnley. I don't think his confidence has gone just yet but not sure that can be said for those around him.

That's why I'd rather he doesn't officially take over until Thursday. Let a caretaker take charge for Liverpool, we were going to lose that anyway and goal difference won't matter at the end of the season. Let us lose on Wednesday and concentrate on Saturday, not that Brentford are any easier.
Like you said at the end its no easier which ever way you look at it. I think he should have been sacked prior to the Wolves game in hindsight, I know we won that game so its a daft thing to say. But a new manager would have had the opportunity to play Wolves (H), Bournemouth (H) Burnley (A). That's an easier start than what we've served Wilder with. Lets see if he's still got it!

Back
Top Bottom