Match Thread Grimsby Town v. Sheffield United - Pre-season Friendly

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some thoughts on the game.

Probably what Wilder envisions as our strongest 11 started.

I don’t think we played as well as some people have stated but all the same it was a very easy win. It didn’t have the pressing and tempo I was expecting but we seemed to play a higher line which for me is a positive. We scored at the right time and it seemed to settle things. Bear in mind they went close-ish from a corner at 2-1.

DCL and Sharp up front wasn’t the worst partnership in the world. DCL has pace, tenacity, wins headers, wins fouls, has good control too. Scored one and made another as we’ve all seen. His link up play is good. He’s also our quickest player. First time I’ve had a really good look at him and on that basis I’d say he has good potential and could play a significant part this season and develop well. Certainly wouldn’t sell him. It’s almost as if we have a young premiership loanee this season, except he’s ours. Took a knock after a half hour and subbed at half time.

We played Done and Duffy on the wings and they swapped over a couple of times. Most penetration and crosses seemed to come from marauding full-backs rather than with these two though. I think we still need a left winger. Duffy doesn’t look out of sorts on the left but for me looks better on the right. He’s neat and tidy. Good balance and control but doesn’t get past people often. Quite busy. Reminded me of Stephen Quinn a little bit.

O’Connell looked class. Strong, fast, good positionally. Good signing. Wilson looked ok. There is not much of an understanding between them yet. That can develop of course, but we are by no means set with this pairing in my opinion. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was more to come.

Fleck played well. He is quite squat and not amazingly mobile but is always demanding the ball and his vision and distribution is excellent. Doesn’t look as good as Kevin MacDonald on today’s outing but for me certainly the closest we’ve come to that style of player for a while. Recycles possession well, hard to knock off the ball, lots of forward passing. Will burst past the odd player but perhaps not one for the mazy run.

Hats off to Sharp. Excellent today. Let by example. Everywhere up front. Lick of paint off a hat-trick. Love him.

Saw some of this much-vaunted left-footery from Hussey. Every other corner looked reasonably dangerous. Tried to curl a number of crosses in from open play. At times in the first half they seemed to have a fair amount of space on the right (our left) but we always got back to cover/block the final ball in. He’s comfortably better than McEvely.

Don’t know what to say about Long. He had very little to do. I like him but that was a weird goal to concede.

McNulty came on at half time and did pretty well. Put himself about and appeared to pick the ball up as a sort of ‘in the hole’ number 10 position and take it forwards/distribute it a few times. Seemed frustrated when Sharp didn’t slide him through but I wouldn’t read too much into it. Put one well over at the end because he was trying too hard with it. Would be an asset this season based on today.

Brooks had an interesting few minutes. Saw loads of the ball. He’s composed, keeps possession, well-balanced, can drift past people. Very encouraging indeed. A bit lightweight but I assume he is about 5 years old or something.

Coutts came on and showed good control, was very neat but only passed it left and right, not forwards. Scougall came on and looked really eager. Got involved quite a lot. The usual mix of being brushed off/manhandled aside and then having the odd good contribution. Adams looked ok but didn’t see a lot of the ball.

My one big reservation is the Basham/Fleck pairing. I don’t want to denigrate Basham, he is a great trier, he does get his foot in, and he is physical, but he is slow both in thought and deed and it holds us back. I don’t think he’s conducive to the kind of pressing game Wilder wants. Everything seems quite laboured. If I were Wilder I’d try to get another central midfielder in to complement Fleck.

Their best player was Ben Davies, though he is now as wide as he is high.

I saw the young fair-haired Grimsby hooligan with the clown-style jacket in Cleethorpes about six o’clock abusing passing motorists. He had invented a Brexit-themed chant at that point.

Some thoughts on the game.

Probably what Wilder envisions as our strongest 11 started.

I don’t think we played as well as some people have stated but all the same it was a very easy win. It didn’t have the pressing and tempo I was expecting but we seemed to play a higher line which for me is a positive. We scored at the right time and it seemed to settle things. Bear in mind they went close-ish from a corner at 2-1.

DCL and Sharp up front wasn’t the worst partnership in the world. DCL has pace, tenacity, wins headers, wins fouls, has good control too. Scored one and made another as we’ve all seen. His link up play is good. He’s also our quickest player. First time I’ve had a really good look at him and on that basis I’d say he has good potential and could play a significant part this season and develop well. Certainly wouldn’t sell him. It’s almost as if we have a young premiership loanee this season, except he’s ours. Took a knock after a half hour and subbed at half time.

We played Done and Duffy on the wings and they swapped over a couple of times. Most penetration and crosses seemed to come from marauding full-backs rather than with these two though. I think we still need a left winger. Duffy doesn’t look out of sorts on the left but for me looks better on the right. He’s neat and tidy. Good balance and control but doesn’t get past people often. Quite busy. Reminded me of Stephen Quinn a little bit.

O’Connell looked class. Strong, fast, good positionally. Good signing. Wilson looked ok. There is not much of an understanding between them yet. That can develop of course, but we are by no means set with this pairing in my opinion. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was more to come.

Fleck played well. He is quite squat and not amazingly mobile but is always demanding the ball and his vision and distribution is excellent. Doesn’t look as good as Kevin MacDonald on today’s outing but for me certainly the closest we’ve come to that style of player for a while. Recycles possession well, hard to knock off the ball, lots of forward passing. Will burst past the odd player but perhaps not one for the mazy run.

Hats off to Sharp. Excellent today. Let by example. Everywhere up front. Lick of paint off a hat-trick. Love him.

Saw some of this much-vaunted left-footery from Hussey. Every other corner looked reasonably dangerous. Tried to curl a number of crosses in from open play. At times in the first half they seemed to have a fair amount of space on the right (our left) but we always got back to cover/block the final ball in. He’s comfortably better than McEvely.

Don’t know what to say about Long. He had very little to do. I like him but that was a weird goal to concede.

McNulty came on at half time and did pretty well. Put himself about and appeared to pick the ball up as a sort of ‘in the hole’ number 10 position and take it forwards/distribute it a few times. Seemed frustrated when Sharp didn’t slide him through but I wouldn’t read too much into it. Put one well over at the end because he was trying too hard with it. Would be an asset this season based on today.

Brooks had an interesting few minutes. Saw loads of the ball. He’s composed, keeps possession, well-balanced, can drift past people. Very encouraging indeed. A bit lightweight but I assume he is about 5 years old or something.

Coutts came on and showed good control, was very neat but only passed it left and right, not forwards. Scougall came on and looked really eager. Got involved quite a lot. The usual mix of being brushed off/manhandled aside and then having the odd good contribution. Adams looked ok but didn’t see a lot of the ball.

My one big reservation is the Basham/Fleck pairing. I don’t want to denigrate Basham, he is a great trier, he does get his foot in, and he is physical, but he is slow both in thought and deed and it holds us back. I don’t think he’s conducive to the kind of pressing game Wilder wants. Everything seems quite laboured. If I were Wilder I’d try to get another central midfielder in to complement Fleck.

Their best player was Ben Davies, though he is now as wide as he is high.

I saw the young fair-haired Grimsby hooligan with the clown-style jacket in Cleethorpes about six o’clock abusing passing motorists. He had invented a Brexit-themed chant at that point.

The Grimsby fans were saying Sharp was brilliant. I didn't go today but agree with your concerns about Fleck and Basham

I think the issue is that this is growing. The police and the club aren't responsible. I think the decent fans need to sort it out. It's embarrassing and utterly out of order. These sub-human scumbags are an absolute disgrace. Problem is they just get away with it. I've heard nothing about the troublemakers last season getting any punishment. They all need a lifetime ban. May be harsh but we need extreme measures before this becomes another national embarrassment for the club. We've had so many.

Exactly, the way to sort it out is for the club to take action against the few individuals concerned. How hard would it have been to ask for all mobile phone footage and CCTV footage from Doncaster away last year. With the assistance of SYP football spotters, identify those responsible for the damage on the concourse, give them banning orders and make it front page headlines in The Star.
They could even print their images in the programme and have a competition, if you see one in the ground, report it to a steward and get a free pie. ;)
In that way the decent fans would help to Police themselves and the club would be seen to be doing all it can to create the right environment, whilst protecting its image as a family club.

Fleck looks good from those highlights. Good vision and passing range.
Just to be right the first goal was duffy to sharp to DCL
The second goal was Duffy to Brayford to DCL to Done with Sharp on the rebound
The third goal was CB (Wilson I think) to Done to Duffy to Sharp.

Fleck had a decent game but I think you may have him mixed up with Duffy who played a key role in 2 of the goals. The pass for the third goal is the type that Sharp loves but got very few of last season.

Right. Just catching up after spending all day in the garden/drinking wine.:)

• DCL looked quality.
  • Love the new kit..but. The back should be plain red or the numbers are unreadable. Also, why no player names?
  • Yes, Long looked a bit of a plank but I find some of the criticism a bit harsh. It could have been just 'one' of those shots where the flight/swerve of the ball deceived him. (Seaman v Brazil in 2002?)

I'm not too keen on entering the debate re. violence/wisdom of going to some games but violence at football has happened for generations. Comparisons with rugby, Tramlines Festival (!) or, say, the cricket yesterday - where copious amounts of booze were partaken - are pointless. Football matches throw together 'two tribes' where local pride, bragging rights etc. come into the equation. Throw in booze, and now drugs, inept/deliberately inept local policing and all the ingredients are there. It happens all over Europe. The decent majority are quite capable of having a bit to drink, but the 'Ultras' are always present.

Exactly, the way to sort it out is for the club to take action against the few individuals concerned. How hard would it have been to ask for all mobile phone footage and CCTV footage from Doncaster away last year. With the assistance of SYP football spotters, identify those responsible for the damage on the concourse, give them banning orders and make it front page headlines in The Star.
They could even print their images in the programme and have a competition, if you see one in the ground, report it to a steward and get a free pie. ;)
In that way the decent fans would help to Police themselves and the club would be seen to be doing all it can to create the right environment, whilst protecting its image as a family club.

I'm not too convinced the police want to sort it out or they quite easily could. We see at the Lane the police deliberately let hordes of, say, Barnsley fans out into the midst of departing families, kids etc. Think of all the overtime they'd lose! And their cosy, reciprocal arrangement with Durham Constabulary. It's seen as an easy way to top up their pay.

Britain is a violent country. I watched '999, What's your emergency?' the other night. Most of the police time is now spent sorting out neighbour disputes and drink. This will inevitably increase as this country gets fuller. There were stories of 'neighbours' (often drunk, drugged up, thick or all three) kicking off and burning their neighbours cars out! Where was this inner-city hellhole? Crewe. Like football, it's a recipe for trouble and the British have always been keen to get their retaliation in first.

So you pays yer money etc. I stopped going to away matches years ago as the hassle just isn't worth it. Yes, you should be able to take your kids etc. You should also be able to walk through Burngreave at night, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:
Typical lack of knowledge from the post above regarding the police.

Firstly, I know they make mistakes, and obviously SYP are getting some hammer for one thing or another, and rightly so.
However....,police numbers have been cut to such a degree that there is no spare capacity to police the football in South Yorks (or anywhere else for that matter) where there are 5 league clubs all within a short distance.
This also means putting a team together to gather the evidence, identify individuals, get them in to be processed and then submit the necessary file work (for hundreds in one go don't forget) is near impossible!
Therefore cops often have their weekends off cancelled whether they like it or not. Furthermore, this is often also done with enough notice that they don't have to pay them for it....just tell them to have a day off during the week when numbers allow of course. Must be great not seeing your kids, missing family get togethers....the football!!

As for Durham....they have a thing called mutual aid. Whereby a number of forces sign up regionally and have to provide police for an event if the home force can't police it. So in this case, SYP can't police the football effectively so put out calls to regional forces to mutual aid, and those forces have to provide some assistance.
It's basically the wheel falling off, but you can always assume it's a cozy arrangement to line their own pockets.

And finally....holding fans back. Unless there is large scale disorder directly outside the ground they cannot hold fans back. Believe it or not, fans have claimed false imprisonment, unlawful arrest (being detained unlawfully) and breaches of their European court of human rights. Hence why it's never done these days. They have won and received compo....

Unless you have had the chance to talk to cops about it like I have the press and those with agendas against the police can easily prejudice the opinions of the easily led. But the best police force in the world in this country is being killed off before everyone's eyes, and you will miss them when they are gone....to be replaced by profit led organisations based on an American model of policing.

I am really surprised and disappointed with some of the attitudes displayed on this thread towards the abuse received by a Blades family with young females yesterday.

I thought that this sort of abuse and the wider disorder caused by drunken idiots from Sheffield and the local pond life would be unequivocally condemned. A no-brainer.

But there is a school of though that argues that you should know better than to take children or anyone with breasts to a friendly in Grimsby. You are just asking for verbal abuse or worse. To denounce that is to get on your high horse.

I would expect this attitude from a drugged or pissed up kid with 2 brain cells, that enjoys bullying and intimidation in a group because it makes him feel a bit special . But to hear this from Blades who are articulate enough to post on a great forum like this is deeply depressing.

I speak as someone who in 40 years of going to football has never felt the need to abuse or hurt anyone in the name of United, so clearly I have a very different mind set to some.

But if a family can't go to a pre-season 'friendly' (oh the irony), on a summer week end to enjoy a game of football without apparently being naive if they expect to get away without abuse from their fellow supporters, then I think its time some had a good hard look at themselves. This is simply unacceptable.

I am really surprised and disappointed with some of the attitudes displayed on this thread towards the abuse received by a Blades family with young females yesterday.

I thought that this sort of abuse and the wider disorder caused by drunken idiots from Sheffield and the local pond life would be unequivocally condemned. A no-brainer.

But there is a school of though that argues that you should know better than to take children or anyone with breasts to a friendly in Grimsby. You are just asking for verbal abuse or worse. To denounce that is to get on your high horse.

I would expect this attitude from a drugged or pissed up kid with 2 brain cells, that enjoys bullying and intimidation in a group because it makes him feel a bit special . But to hear this from Blades who are articulate enough to post on a great forum like this is deeply depressing.

I speak as someone who in 40 years of going to football has never felt the need to abuse or hurt anyone in the name of United, so clearly I have a very different mind set to some.

But if a family can't go to a pre-season 'friendly' (oh the irony), on a summer week end to enjoy a game of football without apparently being naive if they expect to get away without abuse from their fellow supporters, then I think its time some had a good hard look at themselves. This is simply unacceptable.

Again, you've stated something that's not been said. The points made were that trouble was to be expected on the day. Not that anyone was naive enough to think they wouldn't be abused by their own supporters. It's been made clear its unacceptable and that we sadly have a number of wankers as part of the support and that I for one want the club to take action.

Why oh why posts from distressed of West Yorks could at least be accurate in claiming what's been said. It's a growing trend on here misrepresenting posts, rather Len like in fact.

Typical lack of knowledge from the post above regarding the police.

Firstly, I know they make mistakes, and obviously SYP are getting some hammer for one thing or another, and rightly so.
However....,police numbers have been cut to such a degree that there is no spare capacity to police the football in South Yorks (or anywhere else for that matter) where there are 5 league clubs all within a short distance.
This also means putting a team together to gather the evidence, identify individuals, get them in to be processed and then submit the necessary file work (for hundreds in one go don't forget) is near impossible!
Therefore cops often have their weekends off cancelled whether they like it or not. Furthermore, this is often also done with enough notice that they don't have to pay them for it....just tell them to have a day off during the week when numbers allow of course. Must be great not seeing your kids, missing family get togethers....the football!!

As for Durham....they have a thing called mutual aid. Whereby a number of forces sign up regionally and have to provide police for an event if the home force can't police it. So in this case, SYP can't police the football effectively so put out calls to regional forces to mutual aid, and those forces have to provide some assistance.
It's basically the wheel falling off, but you can always assume it's a cozy arrangement to line their own pockets.

And finally....holding fans back. Unless there is large scale disorder directly outside the ground they cannot hold fans back. Believe it or not, fans have claimed false imprisonment, unlawful arrest (being detained unlawfully) and breaches of their European court of human rights. Hence why it's never done these days. They have won and received compo....

Unless you have had the chance to talk to cops about it like I have the press and those with agendas against the police can easily prejudice the opinions of the easily led. But the best police force in the world in this country is being killed off before everyone's eyes, and you will miss them when they are gone....to be replaced by profit led organisations based on an American model of policing.

Surely based on that last point we can all claim a bit of combo when we go to Millwall next month then? There was no 'large scale disorder directly outside The Den' last season, yet they didn't let us get to the platform for a good hour after the game.

Just to be right the first goal was duffy to sharp to DCL
The second goal was Duffy to Brayford to DCL to Done with Sharp on the rebound
The third goal was CB (Wilson I think) to Done to Duffy to Sharp.

Fleck had a decent game but I think you may have him mixed up with Duffy who played a key role in 2 of the goals. The pass for the third goal is the type that Sharp loves but got very few of last season.
You're right, my mistake. That'll teach me to listen to the Grimsby commentator.

Fleck is shite then. Well played Duffy.

You can try.
Police won't hold fans back these days unless they can justify it in a court.

Worlds gone mad.

You can try.

Worlds gone mad.

I've no interest in claiming anything personally, I just think it's a bit odd that they still hold fans back if that's the case. Millwall and the surrounding area is so over policed these days that unless you're out looking for trouble, it's probably one of the safest grounds to go to for a normal fan.

Again, you've stated something that's not been said. The points made were that trouble was to be expected on the day. Not that anyone was naive enough to think they wouldn't be abused by their own supporters. It's been made clear its unacceptable and that we sadly have a number of wankers as part of the support and that I for one want the club to take action.

Why oh why posts from distressed of West Yorks could at least be accurate in claiming what's been said. It's a growing trend on here misrepresenting posts, rather Len like in fact.
Why do you feel the need to interfere and put your spin on what someone else has said? They can speak for themselves and don't need you to misrepresent them any more than you say I am.
I'm not talking to or about you.

You can try.

Worlds gone mad.

At Millwall we went right to the coaches. Those going left were - so it looked to me- were let out of the ground and held up in the street immediately outside.

At Millwall we went right to the coaches. Those going left were - so it looked to me- were let out of the ground and held up in the street immediately outside.

We got held in the area where the coaches were for about 25 minutes, then held up again in the walkway to the station for another half an hour or so.

Going in the car this year instead, police kettling you just makes the larger group a moving target for the Millwall fans. Seems much easier just to slip off into the crowd when they eventually open the gates.

Why do you feel the need to interfere and put your spin on what someone else has said? They can speak for themselves and don't need you to misrepresent them any more than you say I am.
I'm not talking to or about you.

It's a forum. The only one spinning is you. You did it last night. If you want to single people out do it rather than refer generally to comments. If I'm wrong show me the posts I'll apologise. Don't waste your time though because they aren't there. Clearly you have some beef with LE that I'm unaware of but seeing as I commented in a similar vein it's not unreasonable for me to reply. If you were correct I'd have no reason to say anything would I?

We got held in the area where the coaches were for about 25 minutes, then held up again in the walkway to the station for another half an hour or so.

Going in the car this year instead, police kettling you just makes the larger group a moving target for the Millwall fans. Seems much easier just to slip off into the crowd when they eventually open the gates.

Went n the club coaches, bang next to the ground, straight out more or less.

It's a forum. The only one spinning is you. You did it last night. If you want to single people out do it rather than refer generally to comments. If I'm wrong show me the posts I'll apologise. Don't waste your time though because they aren't there. Clearly you have some beef with LE that I'm unaware of but seeing as I commented in a similar vein it's not unreasonable for me to reply. If you were correct I'd have no reason to say anything would I?
I don't have a personal issue with LE at all. I see you are speaking on my behalf as well now.

Well that's bollocks I am afraid, I've been at Tramlines all day and I've seen much ale flowing and people aged 15 - 70 and not one iota of trouble. I am now watching the Darts and the beer seems to be going down well there as well and hey guess what?

Football has the problem.
As I left the railway station last night I saw a few blokes scrapping and they had clearly been to tramlines. Booze turns people into dickheads, football allegiances amplifies it further.

But how many pie eaters would be attacked the following week?

Bang on. Why does on the day on the beers watching Utd have to end up with people acting like a twat?
t
It doesn't.

BornOnShoreham and myself had a great day out, met loads of great people from both Grimsby and Sheffield.

In fact we were so deeply involved in pre match chat in the pub that time ran away from us and we ended up with a local Grimsby fan calling a cab to get us the ground in time!

That's how football should be and thankfully still can be at times :)

Back
Top Bottom