Goalkeeper

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pig maybe....but he's 100% correct!
I have a different opinion to you, we do not NEED a new keeper. We WANT one, and a replacement for Wes is way down the priority list.
Goalkeeper is one position where we have 3 players for the position. Other positions currently lack a guaranteed starter..

PS the Stegosaurus was a vegan. Now extinct. 🤣

Just an option if Wes gets injured hope it never happens. Are you happy what we have for back up or do we need another keeper on loan ?

I think Wes deserves a shot at the prem

But do I think he’s good enough not sure

We deffo need a prem proven goalkeeper for competition

Hi Stegosaurus here,

A new keeper should be priority. Anyone who thinks Wes is good enough for the Premier League knows nothing about football.

If he starts for us, we are going down because he's a liability.

Completely agree with you Steg

I think people still look at Wes's past CV and still judge him. He has certainly been a top championship keeper the last two seasons. He certainly makes a lot fewer mistakes than most of our previous keepers even if he lacks the size and athleticism to make the big saves. I think he will be a decent keeper in the Prem, but if you are battling the drop you often need your keeper to be more exceptional than decent... Hendo, Alan Kelly etc...were top ten quality keepers. I would agree though Davies should be a number 3.

Cooper at Plymouth would be my choice. Excellent young keeper with a good amount of experience. His throws are also as good if not better than kicking the ball outfield.
Get rid of Wes because he hasn't got Premier league experience and get a bloke that hasn't even played in the championship. FFS.

Get rid of Wes because he hasn't got Premier league experience and get a bloke that hasn't even played in the championship. FFS.
No? Did I suggest that, or are you assuming? It’s called having an understudy that’s not absolute bobar. Davies is merely there to make up a number. I’d much prefer we have a competent, young keeper with growth potential to take that role.

I think you've completely missed the point that a few on here have tried to make (myself included).

Bringing in a better goalkeeper than our current goalkeeping understudy (Davies) such as the likes of Cooper or Johnannson at RUFC, should be relatively inexpensive. They would each come with lots of promise and they could genuinely challenge Wes and maybe even go past him to be the new number 1.

It's how you get better if you don't want to spend a large amount of money on an already established number 1 keeper. I want every player in the SUFC squad to feel the pressure of knowing that they are having to play consistently well to keep their shirt as they have serious competition. Wes should beno different and at the moment as Davies isn't particularly good, he is a nailed on starter. That's Huw complacency sets in. Cooper for instance would keep him on his toes.

I see Arsenal are trying to sign the lad from Brentford despite having Ramsdale as first choice. Perhaps they are wrong as well.

I think people still look at Wes's past CV and still judge him. He has certainly been a top championship keeper the last two seasons. He certainly makes a lot fewer mistakes than most of our previous keepers even if he lacks the size and athleticism to make the big saves. I think he will be a decent keeper in the Prem, but if you are battling the drop you often need your keeper to be more exceptional than decent... Hendo, Alan Kelly etc...were top ten quality keepers. I would agree though Davies should be a number 3.
He is still 6 foot which isn't that small to be fair. Although technically not in the Championship that double save vs Blackburn in the Cup quarters in the 2nd half was quality. Potentially he could have done better with the first effort but he made sure he was there for the 2nd.

However with keepers its all about the collective defensive if you minimise the keepers workload naturally he will look better but if he is facing 5-10 shots on target per match we are going to be in for a long season.

Back
Top Bottom