Goalkeeper

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sraboys

Reaction score
Just an option if Wes gets injured hope it never happens. Are you happy what we have for back up or do we need another keeper on loan ?

Just an option if Wes gets injured hope it never happens. Are you happy what we have for back up or do we need another keeper on loan ?
Good young keeper needed as back up and then for the future, unless Amissah is that person.

Do we need another keeper?

Not yet! Would we like another keeper?

Yes, but other positions require more improvement and quality back up, unless you believe that Fleck, Osborn and Larouce are currently acceptable as back up?

Three decent keepers are ok for now. If we stay up, look at a keeper addition. If we get relegated the three we have will be fine.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

A new keeper should be priority. Anyone who thinks Wes is good enough for the Premier League knows nothing about football.

If he starts for us, we are going down because he's a liability.

I don't mind having Wes in nets, but I would like to get someone in so Amissah can go out and prove himself. He could be our number one in 12 months if he does well on loan and we do go down. It wouldn't be a top priority for me right now though.

Not a popular view, but I'd have brought a keeper in already. IMHO Wes is a bang average Championship keeper. In the Prem, you have to be that bit better and I don't believe he can.

We have other more pressing gaps in the squad, so I accept that the first priority is midfield and another striker, but I'd still look to improve on Wes.

All abaht opinions, innit?

Last edited:
I've been saying it for a while now, we denied another proven keeper!

I don't mind having Wes in nets, but I would like to get someone in so Amissah can go out and prove himself. He could be our number one in 12 months if he does well on loan and we do go down. It wouldn't be a top priority for me right now though.
Priorities are outfield. Hecky has put a good back line together although backups a bit thin. Wes deserves his chance he was immense in league and cup but needs to be even better. With Davies as back up I think you are bang on about Amissah going on loan to get the experience ready to be our number 1 next season. But, it needs to be a promotion counter club not a Rochdale type type club

Johnannson at Millers or Cooper from Plymouth. 2 very good young keepers each already better than anyone we currently have for that position and both probably attainable now for a relatively lowish price. 12 months from now probably neither will be attainable for us.

Neither Amissah nor Dewhurst will get loans to be first choice keeper at an EFL Club.
Unless we sign a keeper, one of them will stay at The Lane as third choice, matchday keeper. And play regularly for the U21s. Might as well be playing for them than some team way down the pyramid. The other may, or may not, get a loan out way down the pyramid.

Not a popular view, but I'd have brought a keeper in already. IMHO Wes is a bang average Championship keeper. In the Prem, you have to be that bit better and I don't believe he can.

We have other more pressing gaps in the squad, so I accept that the first priority is midfield and another striker, but I'd still look to improve on Wes.

All abaht opinions, innit?
Respect all opinions but I can't think why people think Wes is an average championship keeper? Apart from his stupid two red cards, he's not really let us down? His catching and commanding has been better than previous keepers. (Ramsdale and Olsen)

18/40 CS last season (4th best)
18/32 CS season before (2nd best)

I feel more confident with him in goal than the 30m England GK at Arsenal.
He deserves a crack at the PL this season and the position is fine till next summer IMO.

Last edited:
I don't think Wes himself is the issue. The weakness we have is that his understudy isn't anywhere near PL standard and it would be a real problem if Wes was out for any length of time.

We should be looking for trying to have 2 x quality keepers at any time with each pushing each other to get to higher levels. It worked really well in the Kelly and Tracey days.

I hope we go and get another very decent keeper which pushes Davies to 3rd position and then we can either look to get Davies or the other younger lads out in loan knowing we are well covered in that position.

Bottom line is I wouldn't have any real confidence in Davies being between the sticks in a PL game (he can just about get away with things up to that level) and an injury to Wes could cost us big time. Get the keeper dept sorted and it helps settle the defence and gives them confidence.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

A new keeper should be priority. Anyone who thinks Wes is good enough for the Premier League knows nothing about football.

If he starts for us, we are going down because he's a liability.
I must know nothing- In my view Wes has definitely been Class- all bar a couple of cock ups (which all goalies have)

I'd say Wes has been assured/ calm, reliable. 100% deserves his chance-

The back up goalie- no way is he good enough.

I don't think Wes himself is the issue. The weakness we have is that his understudy isn't anywhere near PL standard and it would be a real problem if Wes was out for any length of time.

We should be looking for trying to have 2 x quality keepers at any time with each pushing each other to get to higher levels. It worked really well in the Kelly and Tracey days.

I hope we go and get another very decent keeper which pushes Davies to 3rd position and then we can either look to get Davies or the other younger lads out in loan knowing we are well covered in that position.

Bottom line is I wouldn't have any real confidence in Davies being between the sticks in a PL game (he can just about get away with things up to that level) and an injury to Wes could cost us big time. Get the keeper dept sorted and it helps settle the defence and gives them confidence.
Agreed

Every player makes errors, just that as GK it often leads to a goal so is highlighted.
Imagine if everytime a forward missed a chance the opp team was awarded a goal, or everytime one of Norwoods pings was intercepted - if a GK error only leads to 2 or 3 goals a season thats bloody good

Wes is a good shot stopper, communicator and comes out to collect

No one can say he is or isnt a EPL quality GK until hes played, however we can say on form over the last 2 seasons hes earned the right to

The problem for me comes behind him, Davies imo isnt even Championship standard, I would have got a experienced EPL GK - Darlow? to either take Wes's position, or push him to be even better.

Personally if Davies was my direct competition for my shirt, Id walk into training with a fag on, would rather have Sharon Davies in goyl

Davies doesn't play regularly, so it's not really surprising that he looks a bit rusty when he comes in.

i think we definetly need another keeper in to challenge wes hes got it too comfortable just now we need somebody in to keep him on his toes

I agree the goalkeeping position isn't a priority but Wes is a car crash with the ball at his feet. Decent shot stopper though, sure he'll have plenty to deal with this season.

Respect all opinions but I can't think why people think Wes is an average championship keeper? Apart from his stupid two red cards, he's not really let us down? His catching and commanding has been better than previous keepers. (Ramsdale and Olsen)

18/40 CS last season (4th best)
18/32 CS season before (2nd best)

I feel more confident with him in goal than the 30m England GK at Arsenal.
He deserves a crack at the PL this season and the position is fine till next summer IMO.

You can't just excuse the two reds, which were poor errors of judgement.

All keepers make mistakes, but he makes too many for a Premier League keeper. He's also very poor with the ball at his feet.

He may be a nice bloke and I agree he helped us to get up, but if we want to stay up, it's an obvious position to improve on.

Back
Top Bottom