GK Frank Fielding

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Have we actually signed him ?
If not does anyone have Lee Baxters number ?
Joking aside if we are signing him very worrying times ahead, would probably top my list of crap Goalkeeper's United have signed since I started supporting them, and that list contains such greats as Derek Richardson and Nicky Johns.

Is he really as bad as folk are making out? I can't say I have tracked his career much but I do remember him having an absolute worldly when Brizzle robbed us 2-1 a few seasons back.

Its a real shame this forum wasn't around years ago, all the experts could have complained about the rubbish goalkeepers we were signing from tin pot clubs, and how it proved we were skint, no ambition etc think of the meltdowns over signing Alan Kelly, Simon Tracey or Mel Rees.

Its a real shame this forum wasn't around years ago, all the experts could have complained about the rubbish goalkeepers we were signing from tin pot clubs, and how it proved we were skint, no ambition etc think of the meltdowns over signing Alan Kelly, Simon Tracey or Mel Rees.
To be fair Hagan he’s not great. His upside is to be as good as Foderingham looks now but that’s a long shot. To go from an England keeper to two old journeymen keepers in 6 months is quite the slide. I don’t mind us signing players from lower down but if we aspire to even remain at this level in the medium term players with potential for development and growth are a must.

Hell even our now absentee owner acknowledged as much through his representative at the car crash press conference. Fielding has no opportunity to increase in value as an asset to the club in fact his value will deteriorate every minute he’s contracted to the club due to his age. In addition to this it’s highly doubtful he’ll challenge for the number one spot at most he’ll just displace Eastwood on the bench and I think we should be looking for more than that out of a keeper. He’s so unsuitable for what our stated aims are I didn’t take the link seriously at first I thought it was just a random name being thrown out there.

Last edited:
To be fair Hagan he’s not great. His upside is to be as good as Foderingham looks now but that’s a long shot. To go from an England keeper to two old journeymen keepers in 6 months is quite the slide. I don’t mind us signing players from lower down but if we aspire to even remain at this level in the medium term players with potential for development and growth are a must.

Hell even our now absentee owner acknowledged as much through his representative at the car crash press conference. Fielding has no opportunity to increase in value as an asset to the club in fact his value will deteriorate every minute he’s contracted to the club due to his age. In addition to this it’s highly doubtful he’ll challenge for the number one spot at most he’ll just displace Eastwood on the bench and I think we should be looking for more than that out of a keeper
It just highlights the current situation, if we had won at Derby, all the talk would have been catching the top two, or cementing a play off place at the very least.
No one would be questioning Wes, in fact it would have been all about Villa making a huge mistake with Olsen, but its not, we lost, for many that means the wheels have fell off, and signing a keeper they haven't heard of, is further proof.

Its a difficult position the Janury window, even without Covid is notoriously difficult re clubs willing to let players go, unless its an offer they can't turn down, we are in the market for a back up keeper, cant promise games, unless injury or a loss of form, we have no idea if its a six month deal or longer, we don't have the cash to spend on the youngster at Plymouth or anywhere else on the hope he or they can step up to the Championship, instead it looks like we have gone for a relatively safe bet, with an experienced Championship keeper.

It just highlights the current situation, if we had won at Derby, all the talk would have been catching the top two, or cementing a play off place at the very least.
No one would be questioning Wes, in fact it would have been all about Villa making a huge mistake with Olsen, but its not, we lost, for many that means the wheels have fell off, and signing a keeper they haven't heard of, is further proof.

Its a difficult position the Janury window, even without Covid is notoriously difficult re clubs willing to let players go, unless its an offer they can't turn down, we are in the market for a back up keeper, cant promise games, unless injury or a loss of form, also we have no idea if its a six month deal or longer, we also don't have the cash to spend on the youngster at Plymouth or anywhere else on the hope he or they can step up to the Championship, instead it looks like we have gone for a relatively safe bet, with an experienced Championship keeper.
I guess it depends on where you stand on Wes I’ve revised my opinion on him upward I thought he was a league one keeper but I’m now at a point where I think he’s a below average championship keeper. I think behind a decent defensive which we’ve had when Robinson isn’t playing he’s ok but he doesn’t make many plus plays that another keeper wouldn’t make. Also he does have a rash moment in him which could cost you a game he’s got away with plenty this year but eventually that run of luck comes to an end and you start catching the other end of variance when they all start going against you. If that had happened the narrative on Wes would be very different and he wouldn’t be well liked even though he’d essentially be the same standard of keeper.

I’m of the opinion we should be looking at a keeper to push Wes and hopefully displace him then have Wes as a very capable back up like Moore. Now I accept that we may not have the money to do that but if we don’t it really does crystallise not only where we are as a team but the level that our financial resources will allow us to compete at going forward and that’s quite scary and I think that’s driving the reaction to Fielding as he would be indicative of some lean times returning in terms of on field product.

I guess it depends on where you stand on Wes I’ve revised my opinion on him upward I thought he was a league one keeper but I’m now at a point where I think he’s a below average championship keeper. I think behind a decent defensive which we’ve had when Robinson isn’t playing he’s ok but he doesn’t make many plus plays that another keeper wouldn’t make. Also he does have a rash moment in him which could cost you a game he’s got away with plenty this year but eventually that run of luck comes to an end and you start catching the other end of variance when they all start going against you. If that had happened the narrative on Wes would be very different and he wouldn’t be well liked even though he’d essentially be the same standard of keeper.

I’m of the opinion we should be looking at a keeper to push Wes and hopefully displace him then have Wes as a very capable back up like Moore. Now I accept that we may not have the money to do that but if we don’t it really does crystallise not only where we are as a team but the level that our financial resources will allow us to compete at going forward and that’s quite scary and I think that’s driving the reaction to Fielding as he would be indicative of some lean times returning in terms of on field product.
Part of the problem for every Alan Kelly there is Nicky Johns, we get lucky with a keeper every now and again, Henderson wasn't so much luck as a minor miracle, okay we made a profit on Ramsdale, after it sounds like we had no alternative but to sell.

I agree we need someone in to push Wes and possibly displace him, but that does limit the market, come and play for us you are going to be our number one, resurrect your career, build your career, look what we have done with Henderson and Ramsdale,,decent sales pitch.

Come and play for us as back up, we need a reserve keeper just in case, but if you perform you could start, not as an attractive offer.

Sadly we are where we are, I think during the Palace game at the weekend there was a comment re Butland, 4th game in 3 years? Unless they are picking up a decent pay packet, no one of any great quality is going to sit on the bench, unless they are Swedish and no they will be picked for tge Euros and World cup games!

Part of the problem for every Alan Kelly there is Nicky Johns, we get lucky with a keeper every now and again, Henderson wasn't so much luck as a minor miracle, okay we made a profit on Ramsdale, after it sounds like we had no alternative but to sell.

I agree we need someone in to push Wes and possibly displace him, but that does limit the market, come and play for us you are going to be our number one, resurrect your career, build your career, look what we have done with Henderson and Ramsdale,,decent sales pitch.

Come and play for us as back up, we need a reserve keeper just in case, but if you perform you could start, not as an attractive offer.

Sadly we are where we are, I think during the Palace game at the weed there was a comment re Butland, 4th game in 3 years? Unless they are picking up a decent pay packet, no one of any great quality is going to sit on the bench, unless they are Swedish and no they will be picked for tge Euros and World cup games!
We should in theory be an attractive option for a young goalkeeper because like you say our record there in recent years is pretty stellar. I think we could go get someone like a Cooper from Plymouth no problem if we could afford the fee. The issue is there’s no indication we can and that’s a massive concern

We should in theory be an attractive option for a young goalkeeper because like you say our record there in recent years is pretty stellar. I think we could go get someone like a Cooper from Plymouth no problem if we could afford the fee. The issue is there’s no indication we can and that’s a massive concern
Completely agree, and I would hope we have a plan A,B and C, that covers more than just a keeper, and what scenario we face in the coming weeks re outgoings if any and saving on wages, or more likely no outgoings, limiting what & who we can bring in, and the priority, back up keeper or starting CB

Have we signed this guy or is it a rumour and if so how reliable is the source?
people seem to be digging very deep holes in which to bury their depression and we have not yet signed him?

Have we signed this guy or is it a rumour and if so how reliable is the source?
people seem to be digging very deep holes in which to bury their depression and we have not yet signed him?

Completely agree, and I would hope we have a plan A,B and C, that covers more than just a keeper, and what scenario we face in the coming weeks re outgoings if any and saving on wages, or more likely no outgoings, limiting what & who we can bring in, and the priority, back up keeper or starting CB
Yeah from where I’m sitting we’re 3 players short of having a viable squad those being GK and 2 CB’s. If we’re being greedy we need some presence in midfield but I don’t think there will be the budget for that and it would also be dependent on players moving out from that department

Yeah from where I’m sitting we’re 3 players short of having a viable squad those being GK and 2 CB’s. If we’re being greedy we need some presence in midfield but I don’t think there will be the budget for that and it would also be dependent on players moving out from that department
I agree, didnt see the game at Derby, but its obvious to a blind man in a dark room in a power cut, we need some 'presence' in midfield, someone to either dictate play and tempo or stop the opposition from doing so

I agree, didnt see the game at Derby, but its obvious to a blind man in a dark room in a power cut, we need some 'presence' in midfield, someone to either dictate play and tempo or stop the opposition from doing so
It seems we’re missing a prime Fleck someone to drive at the opposition but who also has a bit of a nasty streak

It seems we’re missing a prime Fleck someone to drive at the opposition but who also has a bit of a nasty streak
I presume Guedioura was earmarked for a more prominent role, not driving forward, more doing the dirty work, allowing others in midfield the time to get on the ball

I presume Guedioura was earmarked for a more prominent role, not driving forward, more doing the dirty work, allowing others in midfield the time to get on the ball
I have no idea with Guediora if he was brought in the fit a system strikes me as Slav wanting his guy in the dressing room and I’m sure he would’ve played a role on the pitch every now and then but this staff has no ties to him whatsoever which makes him a bit of an odd one out in that regard especially as Olsen is already being moved out it seems.

I have no idea with Guediora if he was brought in the fit a system strikes me as Slav wanting his guy in the dressing room and I’m sure he would’ve played a role on the pitch every now and then but this staff has no ties to him whatsoever which makes him a bit of an odd one out in that regard especially as Olsen is already being moved out it seems.
Completely agree, and the manager having a 'lieutenant' in the dressing room is a good idea, and he was Slavs man no doubt, I just think we are in desperate need of a face/character that wasn't part of the set up that got relegated
We need a strong character/voice on the pitch that, as McCall touched on re feeling sorry/excuses, think more than a few are still haunted by the relegation and feeling sorry for themselves

Completely agree, and the manager having a 'lieutenant' in the dressing room is a good idea, and he was Slavs man no doubt, I just think we are in desperate need of a face/character that wasn't part of the set up that got relegated
We need a strong character/voice on the pitch that, as McCall touched on re feeling sorry/excuses, think more than a few are still haunted by the relegation and feeling sorry for themselves
Yep I’d agree with that I certainly think quite a few of them are damaged goods here. Problem is to refresh that squad and change that attitude will take incomings which we don’t seem to be able to finance. The academy lads aren’t going to come into a senior group and suddenly become leaders.

Yep I’d agree with that I certainly think quite a few of them are damaged goods here. Problem is to refresh that squad and change that attitude will take incomings which we don’t seem to be able to finance. The academy lads aren’t going to come into a senior group and suddenly become leaders.
I think there is something else too that can't be overlooked, with the possible exception of Baldock or Billy, its a team of 'nice' players, I don't see or sense anyone being a bit cute, leaving a foot in, or shall we say adept in the dark arts or even 'professional' I know we had a long lay off and players were injured, sick and it wasn't our best team against Derby, but not matching them for fight and effort was only going to end one way

Bloody hell that headline is scrapping the bottom of the barrel former U21 player
Yes 12 years ago, thats up there with Blades swoop for Premiership Ace when we signed Michael Twiss.

I think there is something else too that can't be overlooked, with the possible exception of Baldock or Billy, its a team of 'nice' players, I don't see or sense anyone being a bit cute, leaving a foot in, or shall we say adept in the dark arts or even 'professional' I know we had a long lay off and players were injured, sick and it wasn't our best team against Derby, but not matching them for fight and effort was only going to end one way
Yep Billy, Bash and JOC I see as leaders the rest maybe Baldock but there’s not many.

Mo Besic could easily have fulfilled the "dirty" role for us. OK he wasn't the best but always put a shift in and certainly liked a tackle.
Last I knew he hadn't played a game for months and was a free agent. If so then that ship has long sailed as we don't have the luxury of time to bring anyone up to speed.

Frank Fielding has made 176 Championship appearances and 360 career appearances to date. We are not signing him as a first choice keeper but as a replacement for Verrips and to allow Eastwood to go out on loan. Two seasons in the Premiership and some on here think we should be only signing internationals

I doubt that in January there are keepers available who could push Wes, let alone be better.

I doubt that in January there are keepers available who could push Wes, let alone be better.
Maybe we’ll see who moves but we’re letting one out of the building in Olsen. I know he’s not giving the production to match his wage so it’s economical for us to let him go but we are weakening ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom