Frees and loans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berkshire Blade

Reaction score
Out of Heckys mouth today ( outside of the bid that's been in nearly two months)

It’s pathetic. The current owners are as bad as McCabe. Have they put any money in? I know we spent big in the first PL season but that was PL money.

What is the point in these owners if they have no involvement and put no money in?

Sell up you tinpot tosspots.

Let’s hope the fees are like mcgoldrick and the loans like MGW or hendo

The rest of the loans weren’t up to much last season.

To be honest The loans of Olsen, Davies and hourhain must have cost us literally millions in fees and much much more wages and we end up with fuck all to show for it - I’d be looking at a couple of bright young players to come in or at least have some resale value with the same cash out. Couple of league 1 prospects for the same price wouldn’t have left us any worse off.

I’d like to be abit more ambitious but we can’t spend money we don’t have. That’s how derby county ended up where they are. All clubs dropping out the PL have had huge losses - just look at stoke etc.

Its all Bettis' fault. Bloody Bettis.

To be honest The loans of Olsen, Davies and hourhain must have cost us literally millions in fees and much much more wages and we end up with fuck all to show for it
this highlights the absolute folly of the loan approach

What we spent on those chumps would have been more than enough to sign someone like Rothwell

Why are we so desperate for a bloke to come and chuck money at us, rather than us earning our way through things? Do we want to become yet another bankrolled club? I know I don't want that.

Its widely known the club is available for sale, and the Mauriss bid has yet to run its course. There is no way the owners are going to put incremental investment into the playing squad at this time before that process is complete.

Even if the Prince stays on as owner, the evidence to date he's had is that spending big does not equate to success, and we've only really had success with modest purchases (Norwood, Lundstram, Egan, Baldock) when we have paid fees in the transfer market.

Why are we so desperate for a bloke to come and chuck money at us, rather than us earning our way through things? Do we want to become yet another bankrolled club? I know I don't want that.
7 seasons in the top flight in the last 45+ years is pathetic for a club of our size. It would make a pleasant change to have an owner with the money to make us more competitive.

I don't think most Blades fans are, they just want someone to make us competitive and give ourselves a fighting chance. Saying Freebies and loans does not inspire confidence especially when you see other sides signing players.
We desperately need strengthening and if our owners think that we have the youth players who can step up they are in for a shock, we are already weaker than last season with the loss of MGW.
I really hope my prediction doesn't come true, but slowly bits are falling into place.
I said Hecky had one chance which was last season then I can see us being middle to bottom half and that Hecky would take us down. Hecky was the cheap option, he's not going to rock the boat to much just the odd little comment about the training ground, he knows he is unlikely to be sacked.
I admit I'm not Hecky's biggest fan and really hope he proves me wrong.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. After 60 years of supporting the Blades and nothing to show for it, I would love to see someone chuck money at us before my dying day.

PH “We’ve got fortunes to spend, absolutely minted us, honestly it’s so much I might buy the England Women’s National Team just for the fuck of it”

I’m not saying we’re not skint, but we saw absolutely appalling business acumen under Wilder in the PL. Naming targets, paying inflated prices etc. Judge the window when it’s closed and let’s see the state of the squad.

I don't think most Blades fans are, they just want someone to make us competitive and give ourselves a fighting chance. Saying Freebies and loans does not inspire confidence especially when you see other sides signing players.
We desperately need strengthening and if our owners think that we have the youth players who can step up they are in for a shock, we are already weaker than last season with the loss of MGW.
I really hope my prediction doesn't come true, but slowly bits are falling into place.
I said Hecky had one chance which was last season then I can see us being middle to bottom half and that Hecky would take us down. Hecky was the cheap option, he's not going to rock the boat to much just the odd little comment about the training ground, he knows he is unlikely to be sacked.
I admit I'm not Hecky's biggest fan and really hope he proves me wrong.
This time last season we did not have MGW, so why assume we cannot find decent loan players in the next two months ?

This time last season we did not have MGW, so why assume we cannot find decent loan players in the next two months ?
Probably based on the amount of decent loans we have had over the years as opposed to bad.
Prime example how many loans did we have last season and how many would you class has decent ?

Probably based on the amount of decent loans we have had over the years as opposed to bad.
Prime example how many loans did we have last season and how many would you class has decent ?
I think we had 7 in total, although I can only recall 6. Of those I thought three were decent and we never really got to see two of them, which leaves Olsen as a failure.
Not too bad when considering how much contribution MGW made.

I think we had 7 in total, although I can only recall 6. Of those I thought three were decent and we never really got to see two of them, which leaves Olsen as a failure.
Not too bad when considering how much contribution MGW made.
A couple did ok but no way near the impact MGW had, and to be honest I'm not too upset about any of them not returning.
My point being MGW was exceptional and probably the best loan signing we have had in the last 10 years with the possible exception of Henderson. How many loans have we had in that time, I have no idea but a conservative estimate say 30 we have had 2 stand out some ok and a load of poor ones, the odds of finding another gem this season are not in our favour.

The only loan players I can recall who I’d have taken permanently… Jon Harley. Gary Cahill. Matt Phillips. John Brayford. Dean Henderson. MGW.

Dread to think how many bad ones we’ve had but it’s fair to say the loan market isn’t very reliable.

The only loan players I can recall who I’d have taken permanently… Jon Harley. Gary Cahill. Matt Phillips. John Brayford. Dean Henderson. MGW.

Dread to think how many bad ones we’ve had but it’s fair to say the loan market isn’t very reliable.
Halford, Coady, Hodges, Norwood, Chapman and lest us never forget Bobby Davison

Out of Heckys mouth today ( outside of the bid that's been in nearly two months)
I do wish the club would stop confusing input with output.

Putting in a bid or negotiating with a player is just input. To broadcast you’re doing that shouldn’t placate anyone.

Personally us trying isn’t something that I think any fan should be placated by or impressed by.

It’s output that counts I.e. what you actually achieve rather than the effort you extol that counts. So far diddly squat. But if your plan is likely to take time then don’t at the same time be saying how you want players in early. It’s basically only Hecky and Bettis now so they can save themselves a lot of grief by being on the same page.

If we aren’t looking to spend fees then we aren’t getting players early. If we are looking at frees but not wanting to take on big wages or big signing on fees then we also aren’t signing early. If we’re looking at loans once PL teams have done their business or frees who are considering their options then we may as well be up front with it.

We’ll just about get away with this during the 22/23 season as we still have plenty in contract. Unless we renew though, we aren’t going to be replacing Fleck or Norwood or Sharp in the last knockings of the window next season. So the approach has to change and as I alluded we have very few mid twenty players to replace the 30-somethings. It’s unrealistic to expect the team not to suffer if an experienced pro leaves only to be replaced by an U-19 player.

It can't just be frees and loans otherwise surely the bid for the foreign based player wouldn't be on the table. But clearly the free and loan market is going to be where we're at. I do wish we'd look at the lower leagues more though. Yes there's no guarantees and they can take a season or two to develop, you may have to send them out on loan but then you've got an asset on your hands. I'd particularly prefer this to some of the older loans we've had like Hourihane and Olsen who are on bog money and see coming to United as no big deal. A younger and hungrier player from the lower leagues would bust a gut to play for United. I do also take the point that we've signed a few from the lower leagues who haven't come off, such as Nathan Thomas and Heneghan from the SPL on a similar basis. Wilder never played either but that was probably because we had an exceptional squad at the time.

Why what PH said came as a surprise to anyone I don't know. Of course Utd won't be outlaying large fees - revenue is down £5m before the season even starts due to the reduced parachute payment and Ramsdale is still the only significant divestment following CW's poor/reckless spending spree.

Yes, some of the bigger earners have left (for nothing) but the only thing that may unlock some spending is Berge going (the only remaining asset with any significant value).

How do we earn our way into things with no money

Back
Top Bottom