First, first away, worst, favourite

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Carlton Blade

Reaction score
No play off semis or finals or cup semi finals for worst/favourite. Just Bramall Lane or other club’s stadiums. Try to avoid Pig games too. We all know the good and bad of those!

First game - Chesterfield at home, Jan 89. 1-3
First away game - Liverpool, December 1990. 0-2
Worst - Coventry at home, Boxing Day 91. Lost 0-3 and had to walk all the way home to the top of East Bank Rd
Favourite - Derby at home, Boxing Day 2018. 3-1. Best and most aggressive atmosphere I remember in a long time. (Honorable mention for the Leeds league cup game in 02)

First - Middlesboro Sept 85 lost 1-0
First away - Oldham Oct 85 won 5-1
Worst - Oldham home lost 5-0 Jan 88
Favourite - Leicester away may 5th 1990

Also

First first match of the season - Shrewsbury August 86 drew 1-1

First - Haven't got a clue. Think it was against Aston Villa (at home) but no idea what year or score, early 90's is about the best I can come up with.
First away - Barnsley. Can't remember the year or score again but I think Glyn Hodges got sent off. We were sat in the Barnsley end too cause my Dads wife at the time worked for Hayseldens
Worst - I try to blank all those from my memory. Probably THAT Scunthorpe game on the last day of the season.
Best - Clearly the 4-2 at Hillsborough followed by the Forest play off in the triple assault season but excluding those I think I'd go with "Bashams arriving".

First - Not counting the 00/01 game vs Stockport where I was in the away end, I think it was Villa at home in the Warnock PL season, don't recall much other than it was rather cold, but Wiki says it was 2-2
First away - not sure. Could probably go back through stubs and work it out but I'm guessing it would have been the Huddersfield playoff final with the Simmo moonshot
Worst - 0-4 away to Gillingham opening day
Favourite - hard to narrow down, it's either the QPR cup win with the JCR brace, the Villa cup win the Flynn winner, the MK Dons promotion party or the Dowell at WBA game which was the "we can actually win promotion" realisation game

First game - Orient at home, Aug 1978. One thing Alex Sabella and I have in common
First away game - Derby I think around 1985 ish? Not sure to be honest
Worst - Oldham at home Lost 0-5 but it did bring in the Bassett era
Favourite - Leicester away 05/05/90. Blades glory, Owls down- enough said 😀

1st Crystal Palace 76 lost 0-2 home
Away Mansfield 4-3 win 81 ?
Worst Plymouth 0-3 away 06
Best Southampton 1-0 win Shippley away

First: Sheffield United 2-4 West Bromwich Albion. 25th April 1998

First away: Port Vale 2-3 Sheffield United 11th March 2000

Worst: Grimsby 1-0 Sheffield United February 2002.

Our van skidded on ice and crashed into a roundabout on the way down, Paul Peschisolido dislocated my finger with a stray shot before kick off, which also caused me to spill Bovril on my bollocks. We played wank, lost, then we got into a scrap with some scruffy locals outside the arcades in Cleethorpes. I twatted the smallest one with my good hand.
Miserable fucking injury-packed day all round.

Best: Excluding THAT play-off match in 2003 or any fixture against the Pigs, beating Liverpool 2-1 at home in the League Cup in 2002 was pretty special.

First - 1969 middlesbrough won 3-0, first time i was allowed to go to the lane until then i went to hillsbrough to watch footy, mum wouldnt let me go to other side of town but when i started comp was allowed free reign
First away - same year i think rotherham in county cup, cant recall it as i was beaten up by some rotherham lads on bus from chapeltown
Worst - walsall a real low point
Best - cardiff in the promotion season with Harris in charge, all your best feelings come with the added pleasure of youth

First: United 3-4 Blackpool, August 29, 1953
First away: Notts County 2-2 United, February 23, 1957
Worst: United 0-1 Walsall, May 2, 1981
Favourite: Newcastle 1-3 United, Cup 6th Round, March 4, 1961

And I am allowing myself a bonus:
Happiest: United 3-2 Chesterfield, 30 April 2017, celebrating promotion and league title with my kids and grandkids. I still smile when I think of that day.

No play off semis or finals or cup semi finals for worst/favourite. Just Bramall Lane or other club’s stadiums. Try to avoid Pig games too. We all know the good and bad of those!

First game - Chesterfield at home, Jan 89. 1-3
First away game - Liverpool, December 1990. 0-2
Worst - Coventry at home, Boxing Day 91. Lost 0-3 and had to walk all the way home to the top of East Bank Rd
Favourite - Derby at home, Boxing Day 2018. 3-1. Best and most aggressive atmosphere I remember in a long time. (Honorable mention for the Leeds league cup game in 02)
First: 5-1 win at home to Swansea last home match of 88/89. Remember being amazed by the atmosphere, even though think there were only about 15,000 there.
First away: Coventry away, last away match of 1990/91, drew 0-0, was rubbish, but a party atmosphere.
Worst: this is a tough one, there’s that much dross to choose from over the years. Probably going to go for Yeovil away in the playoffs, around 2013. Swindon away in the playoffs of 2015 runs it close.
Best: Forest at home 2003.

First game - Northampton LC 2nd around Sept 1990. Won 2-1
First away game - Everton, April 1992. Won 2-0
Worst - Wigan 2007. Nuff said.
Favourite - Forest 22nd Dec 1990. First League game, first win all season. Jock Bryson hit both posts with the same shot. Magic.

First game - Exeter (H), September 1979, W 3-1
First away game - West Brom, August 1986, L 0-1 (I think - hopefully someone can tell me if this was an evening match - I know it was at West Brom and Colin Morris was playing - and there are only 2 possible ones in that period - this was a 1-0 defeat and the one the next season was a 4-0 defeat and I'm sure we didn't lose 4-0 in the one I went to)
Worst - Derby (A) December 1995, L 2-4 (The last days of Bassett, toxic atmosphere, Blades fighting blades - horrible day)
Favourite - Ipswich (A), playoff 2nd leg, May 1997, D 2-2

1st H Ipswich think we drew 2-2 1976. 1st A Donny Rovers lost 3-0 1979 65 p on football special. W Wolves play off final. F March 11th 1992 1st child born in the morning beat pigs 3-1 at night

First game - Palace play off final at Wembley.
First away game - Derby, in the Warnock promotion season.
Worst - Scunthorpe at home under Adkins.
Favourite - Forest play off semis in 2003.

First game - Orient at home, Aug 1978. One thing Alex Sabella and I have in common
First away game - Derby I think around 1985 ish? Not sure to be honest
Worst - Oldham at home Lost 0-5 but it did bring in the Bassett era
Favourite - Leicester away 05/05/90. Blades glory, Owls down- enough said 😀
Same first away, and same favourite.

Favorite would have to be the 4-1 home game against villa in 2018, the first game with my son and seeing the passion in his eyes. There have been better games with him since, but I saw the glint on that evening for the first time.

Other than that, too many games home and away that have been great and awful.

But they’re all good, aren’t they, really. Because we aren’t at work. We aren’t dealing with any life problems. We are just watching our team play. Even if we are playing shit and losing, there’s always the ref and the opposition fans to take it out on. And all of them accept it as the done thing. It’s why we love it ❤️UTB

First game - Gilliangham away, 1988 1-2
First away game - as above, so I'll give you first Home: 3-0 v Bristol City, 1988
Worst - tied between Crewe away 2014 and Coventry away under Adkins. Terrible, terrible football.
Favourite - Leicester away 1990, for obvious reasons. Honourable mention for Sunderland at home 2-0 win 1997 for 4 reasons: Deane, Fjortoft, Borbokis, Quinn.

First: United 2-3 Leeds, 1992. I was 8 and had no idea Leeds would win the league that day. Taken by my Leeds supporting mate and his dad but we had the good grace to sit in the home end, on the (old) John Street stand. Great game with some calamitous defending.

First away: Man City 0-0 United, 2001. Just remember Monty doing a job on Berkovic and some bellendery from the City fans near us

Worst: a few are up there. Fulham 3-0 United (League Cup, 2015); United 0-3 Swansea (FA Cup, 2007); but the winner for me is United 0-1 Preston (League One, 2013). We were absolutely pathetic that day.

Best (which has only been mentioned in passing): Villa 1-2 United (FA Cup, 2014). Hard to believe it was the same season as the Preston game. The atmosphere was brilliant with Flynn and Murphy scoring in front of us and an all round cracking day on the ale in Birmingham. United 3-0 West Ham in 2007 and United 3-1 Derby for the atmosphere run it close.

First - Blackpool at home Sept 1965- won 2-1
First away- Man City Oct 1972-lost 1-2
Worst- Walsall at home Nov 1981, enough said
Favourite-either 5-1 at home to Cardiff Apr 1971 or 3-2 at home to Wet Sham Mar 1975. TC's goal was nowhere near the best thing he did that day, he was better than any superlative you could think up.

First - I think I’d probably been before but first one I remember was my first season ticket year, Blades v Liverpool 06/07. Decided Rob Hulse was my favourite player.

First away - no idea what year, and it could have even been a pre-season game, but Scunthorpe v Blades. I remember loving the “we’ve got a shed as big as this” chant, and the walk round the pitch to go and get a hot vimto and 10p bag of haribos

Worst - wasn’t super interested in the games in L1 but I’m sure there were lots of crap. Recent memories are last season Norwich at home and Blackburn away, both because of absolute twats around us. Blackburn might pip it because of the miserable walk back to the station in the rain only for the train to be cancelled.

Best - recency bias I think but QPR away last season or Sunderland away this season both were great fun to say they were solo away trips. QPR had all the hope of the play offs, and I remember MGW being great. Sunderland this season also had the feeling of “GET THE FUCK IN!! We needed that result”. Neither particularly glamorous but just felt good.

Not games I attended but watched both Bouncing Day and Bash arriving in pubs in Manchester with mates and was grinning like a Cheshire cat for days after

First. I think Shrewsbury home in 1985, first I remember well was Maidstone at home in the cup in 1988 which we won 1v0. Fell in love with the stadium, red and white striped nets (did I dream that?), And the atmosphere.

First away. Can't remember!

Worst. Took time off work to see us play Stockport at home in the league cup early rounds, in 1996 I seem to think, and got battered 2v5. Might have dreamt it but sure we were 3 or 4 nil down by half time.

Best. Probably my favourite game was the classic 5v4 at home versus Brighton in 1990. Not the biggest game or most important game of course, but massively enjoyable.

first v Newcastle 89 1v1
First Away Roker park Hodges Headbutt
Worst v MK Don's Ched sent down
Favourite v Oldham Zenith Data Systems 91 ish 2nil down then 7 straight goals.

First v Fulham Oct 1977 won 2-1
First away v Cardiff Dec 1977 won 6-1
(Still the biggest away win I’ve seen)
Worst v Walsall home 1981 0-1
Favourite v Darlington 1982 won 2-0
(If you were there, you’ll never forget)

First. 17th October, 1981. Hartlepool 1-1
First away. 31st March, 1988. Southend lost 2-1.
Worst. 13th May, 2007. Wigan lost 2-1.
Best. 15th May, 2003. Forest won 4-3.

First - Boxing Day 1972 (?). Blades 0 Liverpool 3
First away - Birmingham 0 Blades 0. 1974? We missed out on Europe.
Worst. Home - Blades 0 Walsall 1 & the 4th Division. Away - Crewe 3 Blades 0. The Adkins era.
Best. Home - Blades 2 Leeds 1 in League cup. Final 5 mins of magic. Away - MK Dons in League 1; what a half time party!

First - Jimmy Hagan’s benefit match March 1958 ?
Worst - Wigan !!!

The rest is a blur !!

First game - play off final defeat v palace
First away - Tranmere (1each) circa 2011
Worst - Southend debacle 2016. Had brought a few mates over with me and it was utterly appalling.
Best - Ipswich home O'Connell coming in . Dream come true to see us effectively promoted with my lad alongside me. It can be difficult to keep a youngster in Northern Ireland committed to such an unglamorous football club. That was the day that sealed the deal. 😍

First: Boxing Day 1970 Blades 2 Foxes 1 - both teams subsequently promoted.
First away: Sept 1979 Millers 1 Blades 2 - wall fell ovva.
Worst: Sept 2013 Carlisle 1 Blades 0. Simmo and Don Givens would have improved us that day.
Best: May 1990 Foxes 2 Blades 5. Orgasmatronic.

First 1-1 draw v Man U (April 4th 1972)
First away Bob Atkins
Worst 3-0 loss at Oxford, New years day 1990
Best May 5th 1990

First. Blades v Leeds 67 won 1~0 Woodward went in Goal
First away stoke Drew 1~11967
Worst Boxing Day 79
Best Everton 1970 FA cup Beating the League Champions 2~1

Back
Top Bottom