First, first away, worst, favourite

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

First. Liverpool won 1-0 back on 70's
Away: got thumped by Norwich 4-0(topical) porterfoeld era.
Best away: Hull under CW
Worst: shit how many do you want to think of

First - 1947 Blades 3 Chelsea 1
First away - 1952 Grunters 1 Blades 3 (attendance approx. 65 k.)
Worst - Boxing Day (guess which one )
Best - 1961 FA Cup - Newcastle 1 Blades 3 ( 18,000 Blades singing Ilkley Moor B’aht ‘at .) Still makes me shiver just thinking about it .

First - the 2-2 draw at home to dirty Leeds. Only time I have ever sat in the South Stand

Away - At Anfield, sat in the Centenary Stand with my Scouse mates keeping quiet. They scored first - had to stand up. Flo equalises, had to stay seated but the odd Blade was out of their seat and getting grief. Then Flo with his bandages/cast/crutches scores the winner and a fair few more are on their feet again all along the stand. Amazed it didn't kick off big style.

Worst - well sort of the worst and the best: we lost 1-0 to Crewe at Gresty road in 2000/01. Raining. They either had a stupid drummer or were banging hell out of the stand opposite. Nothing as disastrous as Boxing day et al but it was just that we clearly couldn't do it on a rainy night in Crewe at that point. However that was my (now) wife's first game - the fact that she was prepared to go to another one afterwards meant she was probably one for the long haul.

Best - again steering away from the usual suspects: home v Man Utd in the 1st Wilder premier league season. Why? Because for a good hour we were so much better than them - not backs against the wall SUFC are the underdog giant killing stuff but in a terrifying their defence end Phil Jones career and stroke the ball past De Gea sort of way. I think our all round performance was better against Burnley that season but for that 60 minutes (and the 5 at the end) we were immense.

I'm crap on dates

First was Mansfield at home very early 80s, lost 1-0 if my memory is correct, via a kenworthy og I think

First away I can't remember but I have a feeling it was Rotherham

Favourite was the Leicester away, went down with several family members, the sea of luminous green shirts will be a deathbed memory

Worst Peterborough away, lost 1-0 to a Mackail Smith goal, didn't have a single shot all game, never been so bored at a match

Numerous lows over the years with many relegations.Someone mentioned Bash in an earlier post,This match against Scunthorpe last match of season we were shocking! Only bash for me ! Came out with any credit he ran himself into the ground ! The rest just gave up.
This was the catalyst to our recovery ! Adkins sacked CWAK came in the rest is history.
Can't remember my 1st home match as I was so young 4ish .
Ramember well my 1st away match ! Promotion season 1961 ! Wagged it off school as it was an afternoon kick off at Lincoln ( sincil Bank) went there on Jeffcocks coaches he was the chairman of supporters club ( a real pissup artist obviously before breathalyser came in ),strange match this we were poor in 1st half losing 1-0 , we crushed them 2nd half 5-1.I think they got relegated and conceded 100 goals if I remember correctly.
The real low point for me is relegation to 4th division 0-1 to Walsall that game was an absolute nightmare.
Prefer to remember the many high points with many promotions ! We are here again at the cross roads! Will we get the investment we crave or are we going to continue the roller coaster ride we have had ! Over the entire time I have been a blade ! We await the next chapter.
You might be interested in the material below, taken from the 60 Years Ago thread. Enjoy!
C1F804E8-28FE-4E95-8248-75A42C49E241.jpegB9189A95-449C-4AF0-AE58-1EF3923ECDBA.jpeg63F4D669-DABD-45A9-8B24-2E134D35D051.jpeg63AEDD05-91B6-4E2C-B037-34C315D40ED6.jpeg8A5BFD27-D6CD-45DB-BF88-7D0B67E15E14.jpeg98A2D143-F056-4109-978B-32282755EC68.jpeg

First 3-2 v Weds Oct 71…a young lad from Donny on the Shoreham for the first time. I was well and truly hooked
First away 1971 v ManUre at Old Trafford. Lost 2-0…that George Best goal. It still makes me angry. They took it in turns to kick Ted Hemsley out of the match. The injustice still rankles
Favourite home 7-0 v Ipswich, 5-0 v Arsenal…many more over the years…v fond of the 5-4 v Brighton under Bassett, most of the Wilder years
Worst home v Walsall to relegate us to Div 4
Favourite away 5-2 v Leicester or 3-1 at Swillsboro Happy days
Worst away Boxing Day 79, getting stuffed 4-1 by Villa in the FA Cup, losing 5-1 to Cloughie’s Florist
Weirdest game Burnley v Hull … in the old 3rd Division…more Blades fans than either participants. Hull had to win by more than 2 goals to pip us for promotion. They didn’t; but they should have

No play off semis or finals or cup semi finals for worst/favourite. Just Bramall Lane or other club’s stadiums. Try to avoid Pig games too. We all know the good and bad of those!

First game - Chesterfield at home, Jan 89. 1-3
First away game - Liverpool, December 1990. 0-2
Worst - Coventry at home, Boxing Day 91. Lost 0-3 and had to walk all the way home to the top of East Bank Rd
Favourite - Derby at home, Boxing Day 2018. 3-1. Best and most aggressive atmosphere I remember in a long time. (Honorable mention for the Leeds league cup game in 02)
First game - Liverpool 1992. 2-0 (Deane 2)
First away - Stoke 1997 Boxing Day 2-2 (Taylor, Deane)
Worst - Gillingham away 2015 4-0
Favourite - Pigs at home 2003 3-1 (Kabba, Brown, Chief)
Other favourite - Liverpool at home 2003 League Cup Semi 2-1 (Tonge 2)

Shows how time plays tricks on memory ,.The scunthorpe match which as you say was next up at Scunni .We lost it 2-1 if I have got it right this time.
Barrie Thomas was there star man and highly rated ! I think he scored.
62 years ago very vague memory of the match.

Shows how time plays tricks on memory ,.The scunthorpe match which as you say was next up at Scunni .We lost it 2-1 if I have got it right this time.
Barrie Thomas was there star man and highly rated ! I think he scored.
62 years ago very vague memory of the match.
I’m afraid it was a 1-1 draw, and Godfrey was their scorer. If it makes you feel better, in my piece on the game, which I went to (post 441 in the 60 Years Ago thread), I admit that I can’t remember anything about the game! My excuse would be that the following game (Newcastle away in the Cup) was so good and memorable that it wiped out many other memories. Were you lucky enough to be there? Ilka Moor drowned out Blaydon Races…That was unforgettable.

First - FA Cup replay against Charlton
First with Lady HB, home against Man City
First with Jnr, home against Man City

First away.. well, a trip to Man City at Maine Rd!

Worst? Fuck me, there’s been a few.. but watched us against QPR sat at front of Kop with sleet landing on the back of my neck and could hear one fan other whistling a few rows back. Walking out of a shit match against WBA to learn of Omagh bombing. Got free tickets to watch us against Crewe, fuck me that was awful. In truth, too many crap matches to decide.

Best? Now there’s a question! FA Cup 5th round against Man Utd, two goals after Giggs’ opener? Or, first game in Premier League? Games against Cov home (Cup), Away (Billy scoring after tennis balls)? How about David Pratt bringing himself on to rescue Forest and being promptly sent off? Or all those snowballs against Villa? Or the friendly against Glenavon with my dad? Me and Lady HB pissed beyond reason at Old Trafford for the Semi against Toon? 2-1 at Anfield? In truth, too many fantastic times watching our team to decide. I could go on and on.

Who is luckier than I to have been a Blade? Not born into it, but fell into into and never regretted a moment.

First may have been the river plate friendly

First away, again not certain but possibly Rotherham when the wall came tumbling down on the Tivoli.

Worst too many to mention but Stevenage away a few years ago 4 0 takes some beating.

Best, again too many but loved the villa game at home a few years ago when we absolutely destroyed them first half

I’m afraid it was a 1-1 draw, and Godfrey was their scorer. If it makes you feel better, in my piece on the game, which I went to (post 441 in the 60 Years Ago thread), I admit that I can’t remember anything about the game! My excuse would be that the following game (Newcastle away in the Cup) was so good and memorable that it wiped out many other memories. Were you lucky enough to be there? Ilka Moor drowned out Blaydon Races…That was unforgettable.
Obviously my memory playing tricks,I do remember the cupti at Newcastle very well 3 up early on and Newcastle pulled one back late in the match .I think Billy Russell's hatrick is his only one in his professional career

First game: August 1971 Southampton. Won 3-1

First away game: Filbert Street, Leicester that same season, got a feeling we drew 1-1, but might be confused

Worst: Toss up between Walsall and Dec 26th 1979, probably Walsall.

Favourite: Darlington 1982. You just had to be there to understand. Honourable mention for Leicester as well.
Was the Southampton game where Mike Channon missed an absolute sitter? If it was then that was my first game, not Stoke….

First - Home 3-2 win against Charlton, march 81 as a very young kid.

First away - Bobby Davison extravaganza v pigs in 1992.

Worst - play off final vs Wolves. Train back to London was horrendous albeit London blades were doing their best to lighten the mood.

Best - FA cup win on penalties vs Blackburn also closely followed by that famous 1-0 away at Palace when Jags was in goal for most of game. Tremendous atmosphere with Blades fans in full song.

As a newish Blade (started following in 18/19 when I moved to Sheffield) who is now in exile (career move to Asia), I have comparatively few live matches under my belt so...

First -- Birmingham at home in the 18/19 promotion season (0-0). Midweek at night if I remember correctly.

First away -- Burton (preseason) 19/20 lost 2-1. Had a good day out with a mate touring the brewery and day-drinking which helped offset the loss.

First win -- 3-2 at home to Preston in 18/19 after we pissed away a two goal lead in 5 minutes. Didzy scored the winner late to bail us out.

Worst -- Watford away 22/23. Probably the most disjointed Blades performance I've seen live. Also Watford's piss-poor handling of a medical incident in our stand. Dishonorable mention: 0-1 at home to Leeds in 18/19 due to Dean Henderson's error.

Best -- 2-0 at home to Ipswich to virtually guarantee promotion in 18/19. As soon as JOC's header went in, I knew we were on our way up. Can't remember a better, more jubilant, upbeat atmospheres at the Lane.

First : Hull home 19th Jan 1980 1-1
First away: Hull again! Lost 4-1 Oct 1983 (also contender for worst)
Worst : few contenders including Scunthorpe last game under Adkins, Coventry home 1991 (left after it was 3-0 on about 60 minutes). Worst though has to be Bury 1-0 away under Adkins. Toxic atmosphere.
Best: few contenders too. Villa 4-1 2018 probably best I’ve seen us play. Bradford 3-0 2017, Burnley 3-0 2019 but my favourite was Peterborough home 4-0 1982, Edwards scored his 35th goal of the season.

Obviously my memory playing tricks,I do remember the cupti at Newcastle very well 3 up early on and Newcastle pulled one back late in the match .I think Billy Russell's hatrick is his only one in his professional career
My dad (who worked Saturday mornings) always said that when Grandstand (?) announced that United were winning 3-0 with a Russell hat-trick after 20 minutes, he fell off his chair. The presenter also said they would check to see that the score was correct- he didn’t believe it either.

First. Not entirely sure but probably Fulham at the Lane 77? Drew 1-1.

First away... Millmoor 78?won 2-1 I think. Never been so scared and exhilirated... The crush on Millmoor lane was staggering beyond belief to a small 10 Yr old...

Worst? Too many to mention but Wembley 93 is up there... Gillingham away under Adkins... 0-4... Wigan last game... I'm sure there are worse but I'd rather not remind myself... 😂

Best? Didn't go to Darlo so Leicester away on that unforgettable day probably still ranks as my all time fave.

First - Luton at home. We lost. According to 11v11.com it was Jan 1991, 1-3.

First away - I think it was Southampton in 1993, lost 3-2

Worst - Oxford away, 1996. Lost 4-1, the coldest game I've ever been to. Pure misery all round

Best - Burnley at home in the Premiership, won 3-0. Best 45 minutes I've seen from us

The first match I went to at Bramall Lane lost 1-0 v Everton. April 1968.
First away game v Derby County fa cup 4th round 1970.lost 3-0.
worst Boxing Day 1979 least said the better.
best The Legendary Sheffield United 5 Derby County 142,963 April 1971.

oops bad mistake.
Best Ever
The legendary Sheffield United 5 Cardiff City 1..42,963 April 1971.

First - 1947 Blades 3 Chelsea 1
First away - 1952 Grunters 1 Blades 3 (attendance approx. 65 k.)
Worst - Boxing Day (guess which one )
Best - 1961 FA Cup - Newcastle 1 Blades 3 ( 18,000 Blades singing Ilkley Moor B’aht ‘at .) Still makes me shiver just thinking about it .
That’s my favourite post of the thread so far. It makes me feel young😂

Hi Stegosaurus here

First game - Sheffield Wednesday. 8 November 1992 1-1
First away game - Sheffield Wednesday. 21 April 1993 - 1-1
Worst - Shffield Wednesday 24 September 2017, 4-2
Favourite - 1992 FA Cup Semi Final - 1-2

In all seriousness,

First - Reading, 1995 - 1-1
Away - Norwich, can't remember the season. Actually sat in the Norwich end because I went with a friend and his dad who were Norwich supporters. It was 0-0 I think. Back when Bryan Gunn played for the team
Worst - Probably that Norwich match, I remember it being absolute gash. Me and my friend ended up going inside the food area of the stadium to play tag with some other kids
Favorite - I remember that FA Cup 1-0 win over Arsenal, where Carl Veart scored.

Hi Stegosaurus here

First game - Sheffield Wednesday. 8 November 1992 1-1
First away game - Sheffield Wednesday. 21 April 1993 - 1-1
Worst - Shffield Wednesday 24 September 2017, 4-2
Favourite - 1992 FA Cup Semi Final - 1-2

In all seriousness,

First - Reading, 1995 - 1-1
Away - Norwich, can't remember the season. Actually sat in the Norwich end because I went with a friend and his dad who were Norwich supporters. It was 0-0 I think. Back when Bryan Gunn played for the team
Worst - Probably that Norwich match, I remember it being absolute gash. Me and my friend ended up going inside the food area of the stadium to play tag with some other kids
Favorite - I remember that FA Cup 1-0 win over Arsenal, where Carl Veart scored.
It would have worked much better if you had got the year right, 1992 cup semi was Liverpool v Portsmouth and Sunderland v Norwich, ended up Liverpool v Sunderland final

First :- Reserve game 1955 or 6. I remember it because it was ( I think) Jimmy Hagan's last games. He was coming back from injury.
First Away :- Burnley 1961/2 . Lost 5-0
Worst :- Boxing Day 0 - 3 vs Coventry. One of Basset's last in charge.
Best :- 5 - 1 vs Cardiff 25th April 1971.…

First - Can't remember but the first game would have been during the Autumn of 1971 when I first came to SheffieId. First ever game I saw was Huddersfield v ? during the early 60s - with my Grandad
First away - Again I can't remember. Sometime in the 1980s. I remember going to Wycombe Sept 11 lost 1-0 when lots of Red Kites were flying over the ground
Worst Bury away Feb 16 lost 1-0, Adkins era in terrible wet weather as I recall. It was a shocker.
Favourite West Ham away Aug 15 in the league Cup Drew 1-1 but Michael Doyle scored the winning penalty and did the Cockney walk

First game - Buggered if I know it was 60yr ago
First away game - Unless we are counting the sty and Millmoor my first real away game was Forest, a fine 3-2 win.
Worst -Loss to Port Vale in 99 but at least it got rid of Adrian Heath
Favourite - Too many to mention

First utd v Peterborough 4-0 in 82
First away barnsley 2-1 in 87
Worst port vale 1-3 in 99
Best Leeds in league cup 2002

First Utd v Plymouth 4th Oct 1980 (0-0)
First Away c Hull city 14th Sept 1982 (0-1) League Cup
Worst Leeds 16th April 1990 (0-4)
Best v Leicester 5th May 1990 (5-2)

First game - Derby, 24th September 2005, 2-1. Can remember virtually nothing of it!
First away game - Barnsley, 2-1, 8th November 2008
Worst - Wigan, 2007. Waiting for the rumblings that Man United had scored but it never came. Utterly dismal day in terms of the result and the weather.
Favourite - There have been a few but a bit of a random one, 1-0 at home to Northampton on 31st December 2016 stands out. Northampton were camped in the their own half for almost the entire game. Miscued clearance fell to Kieron Freeman in the box and he threw the kitchen sink at the ball to blast it into the net in the last minute. Took us top of League One and never looked back.

Last edited:

No play off semis or finals or cup semi finals for worst/favourite. Just Bramall Lane or other club’s stadiums. Try to avoid Pig games too. We all know the good and bad of those!

First game - Chesterfield at home, Jan 89. 1-3
First away game - Liverpool, December 1990. 0-2
Worst - Coventry at home, Boxing Day 91. Lost 0-3 and had to walk all the way home to the top of East Bank Rd
Favourite - Derby at home, Boxing Day 2018. 3-1. Best and most aggressive atmosphere I remember in a long time. (Honorable mention for the Leeds league cup game in 02)
First game - Watford 1971 saw us promoted
Worst game - Walsall 1981 (relegted to Div 4)
First away game - Derby (old Baseball Ground) 1973 (I think)
Best - Forests Playoff Semi Final at the Lane (although its close thing with Wigan at Bramall Lane, 1982, Edwards did nothing all game then popped up in the 89th minute to score what was a promotion goal i think! 25k Blades there (forth div) and Larry Lloyd (player manager Wigan) mooned at the kop, eh them wer't days!

Back
Top Bottom