First, first away, worst, favourite

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

First game - Charlton Athletic. 2nd April 1977. 3-0 (Edwards 2, Stainrod)
First away game - Sheffield Wednesday. 26th December 1979. Lost 4-0.
Worst - Wolverhampton Wanderers. 26th May 2003. Lost 3-0
Favourite -Manchester United. 14th February 1993 (FA Cup). 2-1 (Hoyland, Hodges)

First home: 4-2 man city 74
First away 0-3 Oldham (serious fighting)
Both above Texaco cup
Best Ninian park 80,s 6-3 awaywin

First game Not sure but definitely went to the 3-2 win v West Ham when TC scored two.

First away Day after Christmas Day 1979. Bit of a gap after that to Scunthorpe 1982. Steve Neville sent off as I recall.

Worst Wigan home with Warnock. And the Adkins Scunthorpe game. The usual.

Favourite Leicester promotion to top flight and more recently the euphoria of the win v West Ham.

First home v Chelsea 1968 L 1-2 relegated from div 1
First Away v Derby 1970 FAC 4th lost 0-3 (got my programme autographed by Dave MacKay)
Worst many candidates but probably 1981 H v Walsall 0-1 relegated from div 3
Fav home Cardiff 1971 5-1 incredible atmosphere, great result & performance.

First - blades 2 - Chelsea 1 15th Feb 1975. Very patchy memory of this though.

Much better recall of Sheffield United v Fulham in October 1977 2-1 win. Best played for Fulham I think.

1st away SWFC 26th December 1979.

Best blades 4 Forest 3 great match with every emotion under the sun.

Worst - Blades 2 Millwall 3 in March 81. We were 2-0 up at half time but totally underserved. They blew us away 2nd half and we were pathetic in every way. Part of the run that saw us go down on the final day to Div 4.

First home - Blackpool 1964, went with mate from school (free tkts cos we played for Jnr school football team (11 yrs old)) We were going ' is that Bobby Charlton?' but it was actually Keith Kettleborough)
Lost 1-2 but hooked from that moment on.

First away - Derby County FA Cup Jan1970. Old Baseball Ground, packed to the rafters. Mate got slapped and scarf nicked off him. Cloughys Derby were old First Division and were about to win the league two years later so had a lot of quality players. Lost 0-3.

Worst - Walsall - couldn't believe that we could sink so low after being so successful with the Woody, Currie, Badger, Hockey, Salmons, Colquhoun, Hemsley, Deardon side of the early 70s.
It was like the end of the world.

Fave - Man U away 1971. This was a truly phenomenal time to be a Blade. Top of the league (Old First Division now Premier League) unbeaten after 10 games. Beating the previous 3 league champions along the way and the biggest away following I've ever seen at any ground ever. We got inside OT at 1.30 and it was absolutely rammed (gates were locked at around 2 oclock).
Lost 2-0 but the atmosphere and the feeling of pride of being top of the league in the top division was something I'll never ever forget.
Great memories, great times.

No play off semis or finals or cup semi finals for worst/favourite. Just Bramall Lane or other club’s stadiums. Try to avoid Pig games too. We all know the good and bad of those!

First game - Chesterfield at home, Jan 89. 1-3
First away game - Liverpool, December 1990. 0-2
Worst - Coventry at home, Boxing Day 91. Lost 0-3 and had to walk all the way home to the top of East Bank Rd
Favourite - Derby at home, Boxing Day 2018. 3-1. Best and most aggressive atmosphere I remember in a long time. (Honorable mention for the Leeds league cup game in 02)
First game - Carlisle at home October 1970 2-2 Dearden and Tudor
First away game - Leicester city April 1971 0-0
Worst - Bury away February 2016 lost 1-0
Favourite - Southend away April 1984 won 1-0 Arnott

First: 4-1 v Luton 1978
First away: 1-0 v Huddersfield 1989
Worst: worst performance, 0-5 v Oldham 1988. Worst experience, 2-3 v Chelsea 1994
Best (not beating the Pigs): 6-1 v Chester 1988

First - QPR at home 97 2-2
First away - Barnsley 99 lost 2-1
Worst - Wolves PO final
Best - Forest PO semi at Lane

First game , No idea taken by my uncle , as my father said lads not interested, father a Wendy ( close call that )
First away game , Leeds mid sixty’s FA cup ,lost 1-0 memory tells me , could be wrong.
Worst, long list , Portsmouth away FA cup lost 2 0 coldest game ever,we had put 18ish past them in the last 4 games, Fulham at home , 2-0 up against bottom club lost 3-2 relegated , Walsall say no more, there’s more
Best Cardiff 5- 1 to almost clinch promotion, beating Arsenal at Highbury 1-0 the following season

First game Oct 71 we lost v Stoke (TC scored & they had Gordon Banks in goal)
First away game - Millmoor can’t remember the result, got separated from my brother in the crush, scared shitless and couldn’t see anything anyway being half the size of everyone else
Worst - Terry Currans equaliser and having to sit through all the piggy bastards celebrations in the South Stand
Best - back to Millmoor, Bob Atkins last minute headed winner - I think we got promoted that year?

Hi Stegosaurus here

First game - Sheffield Wednesday. 8 November 1992 1-1
First away game - Sheffield Wednesday. 21 April 1993 - 1-1
Worst - Shffield Wednesday 24 September 2017, 4-2
Favourite - 1992 FA Cup Semi Final - 1-2

In all seriousness,

First - Reading, 1995 - 1-1
Away - Norwich, can't remember the season. Actually sat in the Norwich end because I went with a friend and his dad who were Norwich supporters. It was 0-0 I think. Back when Bryan Gunn played for the team
Worst - Probably that Norwich match, I remember it being absolute gash. Me and my friend ended up going inside the food area of the stadium to play tag with some other kids
Favorite - I remember that FA Cup 1-0 win over Arsenal, where Carl Veart scored.

Last edited:
First game - AFC Bournemouth- 1990: 4-2
First away game - Nottingham Forest- Clough's last home match: 2-0.
Worst - Wigan...
Favourite - Liverpool: 2-0 (Deane x2).

First game - 0-0 at home to Bury in the late 70s
First away game - Donnie away in the Cup in 87? Won 2-0, and a shock to go to Belle Vue
Worst - Sunderland at home in Bruces’s last game as a player. Only time I left a game early
Favourite - 1st game on the 97 season against Sunderland. Sunny day, great football and thought it was the start of something special

Numerous lows over the years with many relegations.Someone mentioned Bash in an earlier post,This match against Scunthorpe last match of season we were shocking! Only bash for me ! Came out with any credit he ran himself into the ground ! The rest just gave up.
This was the catalyst to our recovery ! Adkins sacked CWAK came in the rest is history.
Can't remember my 1st home match as I was so young 4ish .
Ramember well my 1st away match ! Promotion season 1961 ! Wagged it off school as it was an afternoon kick off at Lincoln ( sincil Bank) went there on Jeffcocks coaches he was the chairman of supporters club ( a real pissup artist obviously before breathalyser came in ),strange match this we were poor in 1st half losing 1-0 , we crushed them 2nd half 5-1.I think they got relegated and conceded 100 goals if I remember correctly.
The real low point for me is relegation to 4th division 0-1 to Walsall that game was an absolute nightmare.
Prefer to remember the many high points with many promotions ! We are here again at the cross roads! Will we get the investment we crave or are we going to continue the roller coaster ride we have had ! Over the entire time I have been a blade ! We await the next chapter.

First game: August 1971 Southampton. Won 3-1

First away game: Filbert Street, Leicester that same season, got a feeling we drew 1-1, but might be confused

Worst: Toss up between Walsall and Dec 26th 1979, probably Walsall.

Favourite: Darlington 1982. You just had to be there to understand. Honourable mention for Leicester as well.

First: Spurs at home April 1991 - drew 2-2

First away: Birmingham - December 1999 - lost 1 nil

Worst: Something in the Adkins era with Doyle and Collins on the pitch, a few to pick from or the Wolves play off final where we didn’t turn up

Best: Forest play off 2nd leg - 4-3 Blades

No play off semis or finals or cup semi finals for worst/favourite. Just Bramall Lane or other club’s stadiums. Try to avoid Pig games too. We all know the good and bad of those!

First game - Chesterfield at home, Jan 89. 1-3
First away game - Liverpool, December 1990. 0-2
Worst - Coventry at home, Boxing Day 91. Lost 0-3 and had to walk all the way home to the top of East Bank Rd
Favourite - Derby at home, Boxing Day 2018. 3-1. Best and most aggressive atmosphere I remember in a long time. (Honorable mention for the Leeds league cup game in 02)
1st 3 2 v pigs
1stt away 0 3 v Oldham
Worst 0 4 at sty
Favourite 4 2 at sty

First - Bolton at home, September 1994, 3-1 win.
First away - Can't be sure, can't remember for certain, but POSSIBLY Bradford, boxing day '96. 2-1 win.
Worst - The port vale game.
Favourite - Tough, but probably the 2-1 win against Leeds in the leage cup in 2002. That or doing them 4-0 at Elland Road in 2005.

First game - My dad said "Blackpool when I was 4 and before 1966 WC" so probably 1-0 defeat in April 1966. First match as a committed Blade was v Preston in January 1970, won 2-0
First away game - Leicester, March 1970 lost 2-1
Worst - Boxing Day 1979
Favourite - 5-1 v Cardiff in April 1971 followed by Bouncing Day in Sept 2017

Not sure of dates so just put em down
First I can remember Blackburn at home sat in old John St stand wi mi Da ( RIP ) won 2-1 , we always seemed to win 2-1 back then
Villa in cup away lost 4-1 , again with mi dad , first away game on my own 6-1 loss Forest
Worst Toss up , Walsall or Boxing day ( a family of pigs ) mam , dad , brother , aunt’s uncles , all asking did you enjoy the game , when I eventually got home
Many favourites , every game that clinched promotion , 4th Div & Leicester for its double significance
Liverpool in the cup winning 1-0 with GH screamer , against the European champions back then
But BD horror was ended at the death trap with “That” 4-2 win

First: Blades v Man United 1967 - early part of season, forget when I would have been a 7 yr old - my grandad had told me all the stories
when he had gone mostly Tunstall era - I had hassled my Dad to take me to the lane for years - he wasn’t at all interested , mostly because he hated my Grandad and did everything the opposite to what Grandad wanted for me plus Dad threw all his time and money on the ale
anyhow I loved it despite us getting beat - Dad never set foot in the lane again - no loss to the Shoreham Faithful
First away: Man City 1973 I think, could be wrong, anyhow Geoff Salmons scored direct from a corner
Worst: Loads already said and agree with- particularly Scunthorpe home under adkins and Walsall way - Christ we had some shit times at bescot, also the Udders play off final, but I am going to add Mk Dons away in our first season in L1 - finding out our number 9 was having porridge for breakfast, Beattie just missing that slide in and the truffle sniffers getting another jammy late goal as they did a few times that season - very morose trip back
Best: Again loads already posted here, Forest play off semi obvs, Leicester away Basset obvs, Leeds with Jags screamer obvs, I will add Arsenal Home 5-0 1973 I think - My hero Dearden scored in the first minute and the Blades absolutely mullered the gooners in the first half, 4-0 up after twenty minutes or so, could have been 5 as Billy hit the post as well - anyhow it was the bestest night of my life at the time and I have never lost that feeling

First - Utd 3-3 Bristol City - Sept 1970
First away - Leeds Utd 2-1 Utd (Woody went in the net) think it was 1972 - help me out silent
Worst - Utd 0-1 Walsall in 79
Best - Utd 3-2 West Ham - quality goal from…..well , you know the rest

First- Spurs 3-3 - 1963? Being a kid can recall much about it.
First away- Leeds f.a.cup -1968 lost 1-0.
Worst- lots- probably wigan.
Best- lots again- probably West Ham 3-2 quality goal e.t.c

First - lost 2-1 at home to Aston Villa - 16th April 1994

Away - 1-1 at Tranmere 13th January 1996

Worst - this could be a lot from the L1 years but 1-0 loss at Carlisle under Weir, Sept 2013. We were absolutely tripe and I’ve still no idea how he survived after that.

Best - Northampton in 2017. I was at Cardiff too in 2006 but the day at Sixfields will stay with me forever.

First - 1-0 v Carlisle United 13 March 1970

First away - 1-5 v Leeds United 1974. My uncle took me and my grandad on their Kop and I trapped my finger in the unfamiliar turnstile!

Best - 2-0 at Darlington

Worst - Certainly in terms of how I felt....... Wolves play off defeat at Milennium Stadium. A magnificent season smashed to pieces in 45 minutes.

FIRST.. A game in 1994, can't remember who against but I remember been sat on South on wooden seats and my aunty fetched a flask. First I actually remember was Palace at Wembley.
FIRST AWAY.. Bradford away 2002 I think. Asaba scored we a deflection off his shin.
WORST... Probably Scunthorpe last Adkins game. At that point I thought we were absolutely fucked, never felt so deflated been a Blade worse than any Play off final, or losing to them. Also coming from 2 nowt down to 2-2 against Shrewsbury, then sitting back for draw and losing 2-3..
BEST... Personally, away at Highfield Rd around 2004 on Boxing Day.. crate of Special Brew in car on way down, had a reyt laugh, singing never stopped. Then an house party when we got back. We won 2 nowt anorl.
Watching United this season has been unbelievable at times. Especially watching that shit last night, hits home how far we've come. What a side we've got.

this has taken alot of thought because alot of favourite games are rarely league games,

First game - Wolves Jan 1998, 1-0 marcelo scored
First away game - Arsenal April 2003 (worry this makes me abit prawn sandwich 😄 )
Worst - Shrewsbury Nov 2015 - we lost 4-2 & it flattered us its couldve been 7 or 8. it was a sobering realistation of how dreadful we were, when we were getting battered by shrewsbury & made them look like all conquering Barcelona

this is the tough 1 normally i say forest 03 but not allowed, Wrexham's too recent, derby 2018 is great shout & couldve been man utd if we'd beaten them
Favourite - im going to say when we beat wilders middlesboro 4-1 at the lane, it was brilliant night & we were excellent 1 of best team performances, i can remember everybody was on top form

First game Not sure but definitely went to the 3-2 win v West Ham when TC scored two.

First away Day after Christmas Day 1979. Bit of a gap after that to Scunthorpe 1982. Steve Neville sent off as I recall.

Worst Wigan home with Warnock. And the Adkins Scunthorpe game. The usual.

Favourite Leicester promotion to top flight and more recently the euphoria of the win v West Ham.
First game: I went to this as first match Vs Wet Spam 3-2 win. My Grandad took me using Grandma's season ticket to give me a taster.....

First away: Hull at Boothferry Park c1982/3. Can't remember result.

Worst. Wimbledon at Plough Lane via coach and got trounced 5-0. Sat in away end uncovered and lashed it down all bloody match.

Best. Sunderland in League Cup 3/12/2002 with then my young son who was 7 and a Junior Blade on John Street to see the Chief nut one in for the 2-0 victory.

First. Blades 3 West Ham 0 1972
First away Hull 2 (Edwards!) v Blades 1 1981
Worst Blades 0 v Walsall 1 1981
Best Pigs 1 Blades 3 (Bobby Davison) 1992. Also a shout to WBA 0 Blades 3 1989......really started to believe we were a good team again. Was also the first 'date' with a girl I met in Walsall a few months before! 4 months later she moved to Sheffield. 32nd wedding anniversary in September this year.
I clearly know how to treat a girl on her first date!!!

Back
Top Bottom